Is This A Wise Plan? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Is This A Wise Plan?

KyleMN
02-16-2012, 20:32
I am looking to get an AR in a few months but I'm not sure were to put the money. My budget is around 2500 but I can go to 3000 if I need to. I want a carbine/16" length AR for home defense/shtf. I've been looking at buying a BCM upper and lower and any other internals from them. With whats left I want to get a nice optic, a vertical grip, 2 piece quad rail, rear BUIS, half dozen PMAGS from MAGPUL and the rest would be spent on ammo and maybe a better collapsible stock.

Does this seem like a good way to get started in the AR world or are there better options out there based on my budget?

JBaird22
02-16-2012, 20:39
With that budget, you'd be in good shape. If BCM is the flavor you desire then you are fine. Before you start pimping it out with rails and grips and whatnot, I would suggest getting your rifle, putting the optic on and getting with someone that knows how to run the rifle to learn what will and won't work. My personal opinion is that vfg's are old tech as are rails. I know the en vogue thing is to go toward a simplistic rifle but after having the 13" rails, I don't know if thats really the way to go if all I am hanging off of them is a light and sling. So I say, learn to use your carbine and then decide on the accessories. The best accessory though is lots of mags and ammo.

KyleMN
02-16-2012, 20:56
I was issued an A4 so I'm very comfortable with the platform as a whole and with adding attachments. I think it would balance better since the barrel is shorter too.

BobbyT
02-16-2012, 21:08
Might rub some people the wrong way, but I wouldn't drop that kind of money on a first .223. If you have money to burn and it's your 5th rifle, sure, but the AR is a sub-1k rifle (and by that I mean you can build a very competent one).

Spend 700-1k on the .223, leaving 1500+ for a .308.

jdavionic
02-16-2012, 21:16
Might rub some people the wrong way, but I wouldn't drop that kind of money on a first .223. If you have money to burn and it's your 5th rifle, sure, but the AR is a sub-1k rifle (and by that I mean you can build a very competent one).

Spend 700-1k on the .223, leaving 1500+ for a .308.

Sort of agree, but not entirely. I agree that you can achieve the goal for much less than 3k. I think it will take him a little more than 1k to get a nice 16" with free float and quality pieces. For HD and some other scenarios, no issues.

I agree that he ought to take the remaining money and go down a .308 path if he wants to cover many other shtf scenarios.

However, I'm sure opinions will be all over on this thread.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Disregarded9-side
02-16-2012, 22:27
Since you're willing to drop that much cash I think you should buy a high quality off the rack rifle, like a BCM (I bet you like the EAG set up?), LMT or Daniel Defense. Spend the rest on mags, mounts and ammo. I don't think there would be any benefit to building your own in your situation; it'd cost you more and you'd end up with an inherently less reliable rifle than one put together by BCM. There are also very good deals on whole rifles right now.

Colt 6920 (not my first choice, but because it's everyone else's): $1100
DD Omega Rail: $200
DD BUIS: $40
TD QD VFG: $70
VTAC mount + 200l surefire: >$100
EOTech/Aimpoint: 400-$600
PMags: $80
Vltor/Magpul/etc stock: $100

~$2,200. And 300-800 bills buys enough ammo for a couple trips to the range :)

JaPes
02-16-2012, 22:33
I am looking to get an AR in a few months but I'm not sure were to put the money. My budget is around 2500 but I can go to 3000 if I need to.

Javelin! Where are ya bud! This thread is for you! ;)

Seriously, your price range is in the area where Javelin has experience.

cyphertext
02-16-2012, 23:16
You should just get a S&W M&P 15 Sport and spend the rest on mags and ammo! :whistling:

That should bring Javelin running! :tongueout:

Hit up Surf and Pleaforwar on PM. They can help you identify a rifle to suit your needs and budget as well.

M&P15T
02-17-2012, 05:16
You're on the right track. With the money you have budgeted, shop BCM's uppers and find exactly what you want. They offer quite a few quad-rail, flat-top uppers, get some Troy BUISs, AFG/VFG of your choice, grip of your choices, P-Mags, then conside an optic.

Eotechs, Aimpoints and ACOGs will top-off your budget....especially an ACOG.

I'd suggest that while a good AR is important, the optics are just as important (and can be just as expensive as an AR), and they can definitely make the shooting experience more fun. You could build a very nice AR for $1500 or so, and spend the other $1500 on glass.

txgunguy
02-17-2012, 07:06
If you have that much to burn on your first ar then go for it. I would recommend anything of quality. Bcm, noveske, spikes, dd. As for an optic, do you want variable power or a red dot? Red dots are for better all around use imo.

mgs
02-17-2012, 07:16
I'd go 16" Middy with a 1x-4x optic and medium weight barrel with a good trigger and spend the rest on mags & ammo. No reason to spend more than $1500 on the rifle. They just work if put together right, Mike.