Moving in with someone else. What should I do with my 870? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Moving in with someone else. What should I do with my 870?

coleslaw
02-16-2012, 20:34
(didn't know exactly where to post this)

I am joining the rest of America's youth and getting a roommate, not at the point of moving back in with my parents yet and hope that day never comes. Lol.

Well I have a complex HD question. I currently have 2 handguns and one shotgun. The handguns are constantly kept in a combo/key firesafe until night time, and since I live alone now my shotgun is kept under the bed (not the best location I know, but I can't afford a safe big enough to hold my shotgun). Well I told this potential roommate that I am a legally armed citizen, I am moving into her house it would only be courteous, and she seemed to have no problem with that as long as I kept them in my safe. What should I do with my shotgun? I really rather not leave it in a storage space and since most of my family is in the "anti" crowd I can't leave it at my fathers. Any ideas would help, because my mind is kinda jammed and all I can think about is selling it.

Rumbler_G20
02-16-2012, 20:41
I think the key is right here:

. . she seemed to have no problem with that as long as I kept them in my safe. . .

Unless you home intruder has big bells on you are most likely defenseless anyway.

So, you may as well sell the shotgun, and have a party with the money. :dunno:

I am joining the rest of America's youth and getting a roommate, not at the point of moving back in with my parents yet and hope that day never comes. Lol.

Well I have a complex HD question. I currently have 2 handguns and one shotgun. The handguns are constantly kept in a combo/key firesafe until night time, and since I live alone now my shotgun is kept under the bed (not the best location I know, but I can't afford a safe big enough to hold my shotgun). Well I told this potential roommate that I am a legally armed citizen, I am moving into her house it would only be courteous, and she seemed to have no problem with that as long as I kept them in my safe. What should I do with my shotgun? I really rather not leave it in a storage space and since most of my family is in the "anti" crowd I can't leave it at my fathers. Any ideas would help, because my mind is kinda jammed and all I can think about is selling it.

17119jfkioe
02-16-2012, 21:20
Put it in a fancy display box and hang it over your bed......

Artwork? :dunno:

mickdundie
02-16-2012, 21:26
You can lock the action, or the trigger on the 870. Heck I have at least 10 locks hanging on my work bench.

Want to buy one for CHEAP?

Mick

tattedglock651
02-16-2012, 21:30
Put a lock on it or in a hard case that locks and tuck it away out of sight out of mind she may have an issue with it at first but I can bet after about an hour she will forget you even brought it with you.

Blaster
02-16-2012, 21:34
How about something like this?

http://www.shotlock.com/Images/Shotguns/Remington.JPG

http://www.shotlock.com/Details.asp

mickdundie
02-16-2012, 21:36
How about something like this?

http://www.shotlock.com/Images/Shotguns/Remington.JPG

http://www.shotlock.com/Details.asp

Yep. Lock it...don't sell it!

Mick

SWAMPRNR
02-16-2012, 21:44
Lock it up and put in the back of a closet.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Hines57
02-16-2012, 21:46
Wow, are you guys slipping or what? Is she hot?

tattedglock651
02-16-2012, 21:51

Hot or not Im not getting rid of any of my guns!!!:rofl:

AA#5
02-16-2012, 21:54

V-Line makes a long gun quick-access lock box.

scccdoc
02-16-2012, 22:02

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^PM^^^^^^^^^^^
I'm buying one this weekend at the gun show.What state are you in? ......DOC PM me!

Blaster
02-16-2012, 22:03

Nah! Women come and go but a good gun is a friend for life. :whistling:

RYT 2BER
02-16-2012, 22:15
Hot or not Im not getting rid of any of my guns!!!:rofl:

This^^^

02-16-2012, 22:19
Break down your weapon and put it in an appropriate sized box and keep your mouth shut about what you may or may not have.

CajunBass
02-17-2012, 06:09
Buy a trigger lock or a cabel lock and put it on the gun. Tell her "It doesn't fit in the safe so I locked it....same thing."

ModGlock17
02-17-2012, 06:16
I don't know who you are to give a real recommendation, but be aware that some men are shot with their own gun by people in the same house. Nuf said.

Other than that you live to pass off your gene, or jeans... Dump the guns if you're can hit home runs.

Outdoor Hub mobile

HexHead
02-17-2012, 06:21
Slip it between the mattress and box spring and keep your mouth shut.

gatorboy
02-17-2012, 06:42
A lock through it will work. If you don't take it out every night: put it in your vehicle (out of sight and locked). My bank offered me a safe deposit box for free, they said it was 2'x3'. Keep it at your parents house. Whatever you do - keep your shotty!

Bruce M
02-17-2012, 06:48
:rofl::rofl:

Glockdude1
02-17-2012, 06:50

:needspics:

ModGlock17
02-17-2012, 08:35
Guns don't complain or nag, or how you smell.
They don't complain about how much money you spend on them.
They never have headaches, always available when you need them.
They make you feel secure, never complain about how you dress.
They readily go out in public when you want them to.
They are not finicky about things.
They give you a blast whenever you are ready.

With all that said, dump the guns because you can always get them, particularly when you can hit homeruns in a ballpark of your dream!

LOL

Outdoor Hub mobile

Rancher
02-17-2012, 10:10
Man PM me your name and address and I will send you a cable lock for free, I will even pick up the postage.

Remember having a roommate may also mean having others in your home than them so keep your stuff locked. I'd put a keyed lock, and a good one on my door for when I was away.

Find a way to secure the shotgun to something sturdy, cable lock would do, but just enough that someone would have to tear something up to actually handle your firearm.

Rancher

Bob Hafler
02-17-2012, 10:37
Ok I'm probably old enough to be your dad,and I'll try not to bore you, but hear me out anyay.
If it's a problem and you could use the money anyway, I'd say sell the 870. It not like there going to stop making shotguns anytime soon. There will be plenty of time later on in your life for such things. First things first and right now you need a place to stay, and out on your own away from Mom and Dad more than you need a shotgun under the bed collecting dust.

Maine
02-17-2012, 14:09
I vote sell the shotgun for another handgun unless it has sentimental value or something.

CJStudent
02-17-2012, 14:37
:needspics:

:agree:

coleslaw
02-17-2012, 16:31

No No lol.

I know saying this will open a can of worms, but she's not into guys... soooo I won't be doing anything with her. It's strictly professional.

Lew-G17
02-17-2012, 17:04
Check these out, They work fairly well and are inexpensive.

http://www.stack-on.com/categories/security-cabinets-gun-cabinets

Fox
02-17-2012, 18:30
Put a lock on it and keep it in the closet.

mangkukhan
02-17-2012, 20:15
You can pick up a small gun cabinet on the cheap and for what you need it should suffice. When I moved into a 4th floor apt and out of a house taking the heavy bolt down gun safe was a no go, so I replaced it with multiple stack on gun cabinets weighed down with ammo and anchored to the wall. They do the job, don't have the permanence and security of a heavy safe, but they're better than leaning guns in the corner of the closet.

dwalker84
02-17-2012, 21:58
Honestly, the way I see it; She needs a room mate too. Tell her "Look, I understand your concerns about firearms - I am a good, stand-up guy, well versed in firearm safety and my personal safety is PARAMOUNT. We will both be SAFER with the shotgun in the house." Or something along those lines. Maybe have her watch some videos on youtube about gun safety, self defense, home defense, statistics, etc. Show her that you've been trained, and if you have a CCW what it takes to obtain one. If she doesn't go for it, don't move in with her and find a better room mate. Don't give up whats YOURS and your safety. Or hey, sell the shotgun, and then make her sell anything that makes you uncomfortable. :p I've dated/lived with extremely liberal anti-gun women in the past - I fought them at every turn, and won. And they all came out gun loving, or gun accepting women.

Also - Show her how the shotgun works, where the safety is, explain to her how and why she shouldn't be concerned over an inanimate object. Hell..Paint it pink, with a smiley face - maybe then it won't be so threatening to her.

Seriously though, why should you have to bend to HER rules - It's an arrangement - you both obviously need the assistance. She obviously trusts/likes you somewhat if shes offering to live with you. DO NOT bend. Next it will be the handguns, just you watch :p

One thing that scares me though, is room-mates, especially college age roommates, tends to equal parties, parties = theft of property. My ex girlfriend roomed with 2 other girls - they had a small party one night, all close friends... Someone walked out with her Ipod, Laptop, Jewelry, and some other stuff. She replaced all of it - A few weeks later someone walked in the house (room mate left the door unlocked) and the Ipod, laptop, and cd's were stolen, AGAIN. If I HAD to live with room-mates, I'd invest in a big safe, and make very firm rules on who comes and goes. There's always the room mate who lets their friend come over and either hang out, or crash, while no one is home.. people snoop, some steal while they're at it. I don't know man, tough situation.

ZekerMan
02-18-2012, 06:21
No No lol.

I know saying this will open a can of worms, but she's not into guys... soooo I won't be doing anything with her. It's strictly professional.

Sooooo???? What are you trying to say here?:whistling:

I would try to keep the shotgun....its paid for. Lock it up if thats what it takes.

carbuncle
02-18-2012, 12:12
Lock the action or toss it in an MTM hard case with a lock on it, call it good.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

Bullman
02-18-2012, 12:13
I would recommend something like this (http://santacruzgunlocks.com/setups/completehome.html)

The Santa Cruz lock is something I have considered getting myself so I could keep a locked shotgun upstairs that the kids won't be able to get into. Hang it on a wall beside the bed put a hook above it and hang a robe off of the hook so it isn't visible. put it in the closet with clothes hanging so it can't be seen.

HalfHazzard
02-18-2012, 14:21
Talk with your roommate again about it. You can lock it and hide it away in an attic, you could lock it and put it in a box, take it apart and put it in a box... the options are endless.

In any case, be honest with your future roommate as to what you're doing with it, otherwise she could likely evict you if you hid it from her and she found out. I'm sure you can come to an agreement with her if you go over the options with her.

Hell, teacher her how to use it and she might not care where you store it.

Glockster17
02-18-2012, 16:21
I have a shotlock, like the one pictured. It works great and you can keep the gun loaded and have quick access. No batteries or keys. Mossberg makes one similar that has a key and is much cheaper. Or run a cable lock through the action and the gun will not operate, but it could be stolen. I wouldn't sell.--Rob

Lt Scott 14
02-18-2012, 17:34
Hard case storage with lock. You can buy them anywhere like WallyMart, or sports stores like Gander Mt, or Dicks Sports. Not really expensive. Attic storage eliminates walking away during dinner or partys. A bike cable goes around a pipe or beam somewhere to secure.
Take her trapshooting, then you will need 2 shotguns. Get that Beretta or Remington you always wanted.

Truffle8Shuffle
02-18-2012, 18:16
http://www.raclocked.com/store/1917479/product/NG-93000056

Only $30. You're welcome. :wavey:

snubfan
02-19-2012, 08:53
Check your local Sheriffs Department, ours gives cable locks away.

Diesel McBadass
02-19-2012, 09:10
She probably wont search your room under the bed works fine.