Shipping container as an underground shelter [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Shipping container as an underground shelter

RMTactical
02-16-2012, 23:01
Sorry if this has already been posted. Just stumbled on it.

Shipping Container As An Underground Shelter - YouTube

TN.Frank
02-16-2012, 23:03
Sounds like someone has been watchin' "Doomsday Peppers" on NGC,LOL. The guy in AZ. that shot his thumb off was going to do that very thing. Heck, I'd like to rig one up for a Tornado Shelter once we move. Seems like it'd work well enough if you set it up right.

RMTactical
02-17-2012, 01:12
Sounds like someone has been watchin' "Doomsday Peppers" on NGC,LOL. The guy in AZ. that shot his thumb off was going to do that very thing. Heck, I'd like to rig one up for a Tornado Shelter once we move. Seems like it'd work well enough if you set it up right.

Havent seen it actually. However, this guy just uses it for a wine cellar.

Raiden
02-17-2012, 03:13
Shipping containers - unless you have some kind of special source and equipment move 'em - strike me as too expensive for the purpose compared to other framing materials (corrugated metal, wood, blocks, etc.). Or, have they recently gone down in price?

TN.Frank
02-17-2012, 09:03
There suppose to be around $2500 bucks each. I don't know if you could build an all steel 10'x40' structure for that now days. Still, if you're going to bury them you'll need to have a tube with a hatch put into the top and also have to have a couple air vents. Also, a secondary way out wouldn't be a bad idea in case the main entrance/exit gets blocked.

RED64CJ5
02-17-2012, 09:17
Nice project, but way overkill for a wine cellar.

Rumbler_G20
02-17-2012, 09:34
Ummmm, I'd like to share a little been there done that.

I know for sure that straight burying a 40' container will result in the ultimate collapse of the ceiling and/or walls. You gotta put some reenforcing for the container in there.

And that is Florida experience where the backfill is simply sand.:whistling:

smokeross
02-17-2012, 09:42
Ummmm, I'd like to share a little been there done that.

I know for sure that straight burying a 40' container will result in the ultimate collapse of the ceiling and/or walls. You gotta put some reenforcing for the container in there.

And that is Florida experience where the backfill is simply sand.:whistling:
The key is to bury them upside down. The floor is stronger than the top and can support the weight better.

Raiden
02-18-2012, 08:06
$2500 isn't so bad. They were no less than $4500 - and often much more - when last I looked locally, before delivery.

Is there some other advantage using a steel shipping container to frame a concrete bunker, over traditional means to make a concrete basement/bunker?

Ahhhh... Wait a second. I re-watched it, and now I'm noticing there's actually no slab, the container is just floating on pea gravel. Did they also pour concrete on the sides? Kinda looks like they didn't. Their earth seems mostly limestone, so that's cool for them. That totally wouldn't fly where I'm at, though. Ah well.

mac66
02-18-2012, 08:22
That video has been out for awhile.

The problem with buried shipping containers is the roof structure has to be re-inforced. Burying them upside down just means they will collapse onto the upside down top.

In terms of cost, the price of the container is multiplied by the cost of transporting it to your property. Add, escavating etc and it becomes quite expensive per square foot of space.

I researched the whole thing about 10 years ago including specing out everything and found it to be more expensive than putting in a concrete slab and a free standing metal arch type building.

My initial plan was to put it back into the side of a hill with only the entrance visible.

Dexters
02-18-2012, 10:01
Shipping containers - unless you have some kind of special source and equipment move 'em - strike me as too expensive for the purpose compared to other framing materials (corrugated metal, wood, blocks, etc.). Or, have they recently gone down in price?

That is my gut feel also. And with those materials you don't have to think about rust.

reeser
02-18-2012, 19:25
It's a bad idea... The sides cave in and the roof sucks. all the strength is in the corners not on the middles. The way to do it quick and easy is to buy a concrete water cistern. These are perfectly designed for burial and already have a man hole. They're also cheaper at <$1000. I do construction and we bury them all the time, piece of cake!

emt1581
02-18-2012, 21:21
I was actually going to start a similar thread tonight...about building underground. But this'll do.

I'm thinking while digging up the ground for say...and in ground pool, just have the backhoe keep going on the other side of the yard. Local powers that be wouldn't have a clue unless they sat and watched. Even then, no one would really care. What'd be nice is to have it connected to the house via tunnel...

As far as cost, I could have sworn I've seen them for $1500-ish. Even at $2500, having 400sqft. of living space completely secured and secluded would be a nice thing to have.

My only question is what sort of credential/training is needed to adapt/design/work with these? I mean when it comes to creating entry-ways, support structures, seals, etc...who does this stuff? Is it an engineer? Are there special contractors for it??

Thanks

-Emt1581

Dexters
02-18-2012, 22:12
As far as cost, I could have sworn I've seen them for $1500-ish. Even at $2500, having 400sqft. of living space completely secured and secluded would be a nice thing to have.

The ones I've seen are 40' close to $3K then you have to transport it - usually from a large port - port of NJ for you? - then crane it into place.

Maybe someone can chime in with what trucking costs are per mile.

You should compare all that container cost with a re-inforced cement structure.

emt1581
02-18-2012, 22:17
The ones I've seen are 40' close to $3K then you have to transport it - usually from a large port - port of NJ for you? - then crane it into place.

Maybe someone can chime in with what trucking costs are per mile.

You should compare all that container cost with a re-inforced cement structure.

I'd be fine with reinforced cement "structure"...I've already got one. ;)

But starting from scratch...I still have the same question...who do I call? What creds. do they need?

Thanks

-Emt1581

kirgi08
02-19-2012, 02:59
I've spoken a lot about these on GT,my posts are out there.Do the work.'08.

Lowjiber
02-19-2012, 08:17
I just watched a good movie last night entitled, "Take Shelter". In it, the guy uses a container for an addition to his existing shelter (including air vents).

Not really about shelters, this is kind of a psychological drama, but it's a good movie.

jdavionic
02-19-2012, 08:24
I would be concerned with a corrosion as well. While it appears to be a quick, short-term solution. Not sure it will stand the test of time.

mac66
02-19-2012, 09:13
From my research from some years ago, it cost as much to transport and set into place a container as it does to buy one. Then add prep, like painting or sealing it with tar, support beams and materials, gravel for drainage, excavation costs etc and it becomes more expensive than simple building a cinder block cellar.

Or like reeser says, just buy a concrete cistern and bury it.

jdavionic
02-19-2012, 14:42
From my research from some years ago, it cost as much to transport and set into place a container as it does to buy one. Then add prep, like painting or sealing it with tar, support beams and materials, gravel for drainage, excavation costs etc and it becomes more expensive than simple building a cinder block cellar.

Or like reeser says, just buy a concrete cistern and bury it.

A friend of mine bought land and considered them for a shelter. He actually found that incorporating the structure into his home plans worked out better and cost less.

wiskeyVI
02-19-2012, 19:24
They work better buried upside down....If you plan on having much weight on top.

leadcounsel
02-20-2012, 02:54
In terms of cost, the price of the container is multiplied by the cost of transporting it to your property. Add, escavating etc and it becomes quite expensive per square foot of space. Bingo.

As others mentioned, rust, shifting, collapse...

I would think that a poured or cinderblock basement style structure, even connected with your existing basement with two means of egress, would be the way to go. Or maybe just building a HUGE basement, or a deeper basement... several levels with cement floors.

lawman800
02-21-2012, 04:15
No basements for most concrete slab houses here in SoCal. I don't have one, most of the new generation here don't even know what's a basement. I have an attic though.

coastal4974
02-22-2012, 18:20
That will rot and collapse, I would rather make it with concrete.

AK_Stick
02-22-2012, 21:39
They will work very well, if they're placed correctly, and you spend some time planning, preparing, and modifying it to do what you want it to.

A properly corrosion coated corten steel conex will last for many, many years if its buried with a little thought and care. Lots of them here in AK used for storage, above and below ground.

Mountain10mm
02-23-2012, 11:01
As a structural engineer that's done some storm shelters and "bomb shelters" before, here are my thoughts on the steel container.

Not having crunched any hard numbers (quotes from actual contractors and companies) I think the way to go would be to use a poured, CMU, or precast tank. The steel is not designed to be corrosion resistant underground, is not designed for the lateral pressure placed on the walls by the soil, is not waterproof (or even close to water tight), the roof needs to be reinforced, and there is no entrance/exit if the container is buried. It could be made viable if the steel was sprayed with a foundation sealer (tar), doors welded shut, reinforcing added to the walls and roof, and properly designed French drains and gravel were used as backfill.

CMU blocks are probably a preppers best friend. They can be hauled in the back of a pick-up, stacked by an amateur, are bullet proof (within reason) if properly reinforced and cells filled, don't require any heavy equipment, and are not "suspicious" when delivered or bought. With a gas operated cement mixer, no electric power is needed to assemble the structure so they can be built in remote areas. The roof/ceiling may be poured concrete over a plywood or currogated steel form, and the floor may be left dirt, gravel, or poured (depending on the soil and design conditions a poured floor may be needed to keep the walls from being pushed inward). Egress points and air infiltration vents can be added as necessary. Ventilation is a HUGE deal as one of the most common issues with an underground shelter is condensation on the walls...if anyone has spent any time in a tent in fall or winter you know what I'm talking about.

Get with a knowledgeable engineer and plan to spend at least $500 for a very basic set of plans, but you'll probably recover all that cost plus some in time and materials.

Dexters
02-23-2012, 15:49
As a structural engineer that's done some storm shelters and "bomb shelters" before, here are my thoughts on the steel container.

Thanks,

I think the original idea came from a person selling shipping containers and it became an internet fad.