SA Uberti safety, WHAT??? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : SA Uberti safety, WHAT???

Bernie Link
02-17-2012, 09:14
Am I stupid? I have a Heritage Rough Rider 22/22mag, a blast to shoot. So I bought a Uberti 45lc Cattleman's Hombre (great deal on GB $250). Went to the range yesterday and it wouldn't fire. Brand new gun and it didn't work - X$%^#$!!! Emailed the guy I bought it from and he wrote back that it was in safety mode - What??? He said that if the cylinder pin was "all the way down" it was in safety mode, that I need to pull the pin out a little until it clicks. Never heard of this before. Most of the revolvers I've owned has been double action so I'm relative new to SA guns but this is not the case with my Heritage RR. Am I the only guy that didn't know this? Bernie

G36's Rule
02-17-2012, 09:44
Never heard of it either. Sounds like something that you can forget about now that it is in fire mode.

AngryPanda
02-17-2012, 09:57
Yah, if you don't know about it it can be a ***** to figure out. First one I ran across made me scratch my head for a while. I don't know why they insist on having the safety but at least they kept it discreet instead of ruing the look of the gun.

G36's Rule
02-17-2012, 09:59
I'm just asking this out of curiosity, but did you read the manual and it was not covered? Or did you do like I do most of the time and throw the paperwork aside to get to hold the revolver?

planner
02-17-2012, 10:07
My Uberti SAA clone does mention the Cylinder pin Safety in the manual. IMHO; it's so simple, effective and does not detract from the esthetics of the gun and therefore qualifies as an "improvement"- something that I apply to very few "safety features" added to guns after their original design.

Bernie Link
02-17-2012, 10:23
I'm just asking this out of curiosity, but did you read the manual and it was not covered? Or did you do like I do most of the time and throw the paperwork aside to get to hold the revolver?

I didn't see anything about in the manual, but got this reply from a guy on the Great Western Collector's forum:

No worries….I think most fellows do learn this the first time they buy an Uberti. It comes up often.

This is called the “swiss-safe” safety because it was first used on the Swiss Hammerli single-action. The drop test was mandated in about 1970 as an import requirement, and this has been the favored way to get imported single-actions to pass the drop test without changing the mechanical nature of the traditional single action. Heritage are made in Florida, so they are not bound by that rule.

So what you do is exactly that. Depress the cylinder pin button screw and pull the pin out until it clicks.

I have one of those $250 Hombres, and that is an extremely good value.

OUSooner
02-17-2012, 15:43
I have a couple of those Hombre's and really like them. There are 2 notch's on the cylinder pin. The first one is fire and the second is the safety. So just make sure it's on the first click and your good to go.

You can order a Colt cylinder pin to replace it. And you can order a hammer without the safety on it straight from Uberti too if it bothers you.

Bernie Link
02-18-2012, 07:13
Thanks to all for your input, Bernie