Just sent in my VA chp application!!! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Just sent in my VA chp application!!!

tim12232
02-17-2012, 11:44
So as the title says, I just mailed in my VA "non-resident" CHP application today, along with the 100 dollar money order and finger prints and all that other crap:supergrin:

My question for you all is does anyone know the turn around time for non resident permits from VA? My last and only misdemeanor was 7 years ago, so I just answered no to the 5 years preceding this application question. So my app was easy and I am a law abiding citizen with no real background.

Any help is appreciated!

Tim

Softballsaint
02-17-2012, 14:53
They tell us Va residents it takes 45 days.

jljbtm
02-17-2012, 19:47
I was just asking about this ! So how is this out of state license different from getting it in state

vafish
02-17-2012, 20:53
Non Resident permits are processed by the VA State Police. Resident permits are processed by the county court house. County processing time varies greatly.

VASP were getting them out in about 2 weeks a while back. But lately they have been delaying instant checks for gun purchases so I don't know how the Non-Resident CHP Processing is going.

swinokur
02-18-2012, 07:42
Mine took just under 30 days about a year ago. The license looks like a high school student made it 10 years ago before computers were available to do it. Non resident permits have your picture on them, resident permits do not.

Love the Old Dominion.

wtf0ver
02-18-2012, 08:32
I'm military so i got the resident permit and it took about two weeks. looks cheap but whatever.

HerrGlock
02-18-2012, 09:04
I was just asking about this ! So how is this out of state license different from getting it in state

Non-resident permits are good in Wisconsin.

swinokur
02-18-2012, 09:34
Five states DO NOT honor non resident permits

FL, SC,CO, MI, NH

EAJuggalo
02-19-2012, 05:41
Non-resident permits are good in Wisconsin.

Unless you are a resident of Wisconsin.
Why the seeming non sequitur HG?

jljbtm
02-19-2012, 06:29
So really there is not much difference. just one Might be a little quicker TAT

HerrGlock
02-19-2012, 08:36
Unless you are a resident of Wisconsin.
Why the seeming non sequitur HG?

So as the title says, I just mailed in my VA "non-resident" CHP application today, along with the 100 dollar money order and finger prints and all that other crap:supergrin:

How was my answer an non sequitur?

One of the primary differences of a VA non-resident versus a VA resident is only the non-resident version is good in Wisconsin. I think that rather amusing and well within scope of the question asked.

That also means the non-resident has something actually different. The resident only goes through VA databases and the non-resident goes through NICS and that's why the non-resident is applicable in WI.

Hardly non sequitur when you think it through.

HerrGlock
02-19-2012, 08:56
Oh and the reason it's so amusing to me is of all the reading I've done on CCW laws and agreements the VA non-resident accepted in WI where the resident is not is the ONLY case I'm aware of where that condition exists.

Everywhere else, as was pointed out, denies non-resident permits and allows resident permits if they make the distinction.

That the OP was talking about VA permit made that an issue to be publicly amused about.

cabrego
02-19-2012, 10:53
I will be getting this non resident permit too. Texas accepts the Virginia non resident license- it is cheaper and easier to get than the Texas permit. It is about a 100 cheaper overall and does not require 8 hrs of class time like the Texas permit does.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

EAJuggalo
02-20-2012, 16:19
How was my answer an non sequitur?

Because I forgot that WI doesn't accept VA resident licenses.

tim12232
02-28-2012, 12:21
Mine took just under 30 days about a year ago. The license looks like a high school student made it 10 years ago before computers were available to do it. Non resident permits have your picture on them, resident permits do not.

Love the Old Dominion.

Did they send you a receipt in the mail after receiving your payment? How long did that take? I am at 9 days now since they received the package "usps tracking"

Tim

swinokur
02-28-2012, 12:34
yes, they did send a letter stating my bank check had been received. I don't recall how long it took to get that.

tim12232
02-29-2012, 15:11
Day 10, and my money order is still open.
I've tried calling the VA state police but can never get ahold of anyone.
My only concern is that USPS showed delivered on 02-20-12 which was presidents day and
I know that the post office doesn't deliver on presidents day.
I'm probably worrying over nothing.

swinokur
02-29-2012, 16:17
Bingo. Be patient. VSP has done this before.

tim12232
02-29-2012, 16:33
I do have the post office checking delivery just because I dont trust a "Presidents day" delivery status!

tim12232
03-05-2012, 14:53
Finally received my receipt of payment! But it says processing time is estimated at 10-12 weeks from receipt of letter.

I sure hope it doesnt take 10-12 weeks!

tim12232
05-03-2012, 10:06
Finally came today!!!! 8 1/2 weeks later! What a long time that felt like, time to go to wal-mart and any other place I may legally carry a concealed firearm with my G19 and tomorrow will have the holster for my Shield!

EAJuggalo
05-05-2012, 06:46
I'm curious as to why you weren't able to carry before you got a Non-res from VA? Seems to me that anyplace where you can legally carry on a VA you should have been able to carry on a home state previously.

tim12232
05-05-2012, 07:56
I'm curious as to why you weren't able to carry before you got a Non-res from VA? Seems to me that anyplace where you can legally carry on a VA you should have been able to carry on a home state previously.

its because I can open carry in NC legally, but because of a misdemeanor from 8 years ago, I can not get a NC CHP. So I looked at VA and their non res allows me NC and every state I will need to travel through; TN, KY, MO, IA, WI, VA, PA. I know it cover alot more states, but thats where I primarily travel.

swinokur
05-05-2012, 08:01
How can you get a VA NR CHP but not NC?

tim12232
05-05-2012, 08:04
How can you get a VA NR CHP but not NC?

its not legally required.

swinokur
05-05-2012, 08:07
Doesn't VA require a criminal background check? Are VA requirements looser than NC? I have a VA NR CHP as well.

tim12232
05-05-2012, 08:22
Most importantly though, is the statutes themselves, which have no requirement that an NC resident can only carry under an NC permit.

NC makes no distinction in its reciprocity laws between resident and non-resident permits.

§ 14€‘269. Carrying concealed weapons.
(a) It shall be unlawful for any person willfully and intentionally to carry concealed about his person any bowie knife, dirk, dagger, slung shot, loaded cane, metallic knuckles, razor, shurikin, stun gun, or other deadly weapon of like kind, except when the person is on the person's own premises.

(a1) It shall be unlawful for any person willfully and intentionally to carry concealed about his person any pistol or gun except in the following circumstances:

(1) The person is on the person's own premises.

(2) The deadly weapon is a handgun, and the person has a concealed handgun permit issued in accordance with Article 54B of this Chapter or considered valid under G.S. 14€‘415.24.

§ 14€‘415.24. Reciprocity; out€‘of€‘state handgun permits. (a) A valid concealed handgun permit or license issued by another state is valid in North Carolina if that state grants the same right to residents of North Carolina who have valid concealed handgun permits issued pursuant to this Article in their possession while carrying concealed weapons in that state.

swinokur
05-05-2012, 08:26
To clarify my question. How is it you can get a VA NR permit but not a NC permit? VA does criminal background checks. Are VA requirements different as far as disqualifiers?

tim12232
05-05-2012, 08:58
To clarify my question. How is it you can get a VA NR permit but not a NC permit? VA does criminal background checks. Are VA requirements different as far as disqualifiers?

My bad! thanks for clarifying. VA is more standardized background check than NC.
8 years ago, in my late teens my buddy and I put some strobe lights on my Subaru and decided to hit some back country roads where no one drives at night. Well within 10 seconds of turning on the lights a cop in the ditch turns on his. I was charged with 55 in a 35, display of flashing lights and impersonating an officer and had my vehicle towed. Well the DA gave me a plea deal that said say you impersonated the officer, keep your driving record clean and its a 135 dollar fine and its not a felony and you'll be ok. Well NC will not issue a CHP to anyone who has EVER been convicted of impersonating an officer, which is the plea I took 8 years ago. I was stupid shouldnt have taken the plea being I really wasnt impersonating, we were NOT fallowing behind cars doing this. Anyways no other states have that clause for CHP issuance except for NC. If you have any other ?'s PM me!

swinokur
05-05-2012, 09:01
Ok. Got it now. glad you could get a permit. Many of us have done stupid things in our youth. Learning from them is the best training you could ever get. Glad it did not disqualify you.

tim12232
05-05-2012, 10:18
Ok. Got it now. glad you could get a permit. Many of us have done stupid things in our youth. Learning from them is the best training you could ever get. Glad it did not disqualify you.

Stupid is an understatement.:supergrin: When I think back about doing that, my more mature brain cant process any rationale reason why I ever did it! Then again I jumped a my WRX at the mall of America parking ramp doing 45-50 mph!
Im glad we grow up though, if we didnt Im not sure I'd be alive today:whistling:

swinokur
05-05-2012, 10:21
The operative word in your post is "mature"

It's a process, like most things