Henry AR7? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Henry AR7?

Metal Angel
02-17-2012, 13:32
What do you guys think about the Henry AR7? My wife wants one... They feel kinda cheap, but maybe that's just how they keep the weight down and make them float and stuff... She wants one for her survival kit, because it would fit in her backpack. I sort of wish we could find a KT sub2k to compare it to, because I think 9mm would serve us better in a survival situation... But I kind of want to get it for her anyway because she is not a huge gun person, and any gun is a step in the right direction.

Maine
02-17-2012, 13:49
I've shot one a few times. While nothing really remarkable about it it serves its intended purpose as a survival rifle very well. If it gets her shooting I'd go for it. For the low cost you really cant go wrong in my opinion.

Tim151515
02-17-2012, 13:50
My dad has a Henry lever, also in .22lr and it is a very good gun. From what I have heard about the ar7, it would be a very good survival type rifle...and it just has a "cool" facter to it, IMO. I say go for it. Not too expensive to buy, and super inexpensive to shoot. Who knows, after owning her own .22 rifle, your wife might become an enthusiast. But I disagree with 9mm vs .22 in a survival rifle, in least depending on where you are. Around here, for instance, most of the game is small game that a .22 would be perfect for, where a centerfire would prolly tear a rabbit or a squirrel up pretty badly. You combine that with a 9mm handgun for self defense, and good to go.

Metal Angel
02-17-2012, 13:53
Good point about small game...

The Habit
02-17-2012, 13:58
My uncle has a Henry AR-7. He told me it doesn't run 100% with bulk ammo but it functions flawlessly with CCI Stingers and Mini-mags.

mac66
02-17-2012, 14:51
I've had an Ar7 for 20+ years. Mine is not a Henry however. They are neat little guns but the stock is very wide and bulky and takes up a lot of room in a pack. There are aftermarket stocks for them that reduce the bulk.

A much better quality choice IMO is the Marlin Papoose.

CharlestonG26
02-17-2012, 15:00
I once owned an early Charter Arms version of the AR7. It quickly developed the tendency to go full auto. Perhaps Henry has corrected this flaw.

I also think the stainless Marlin 'papoose' 70PSS is a much better firearm.
http://www.marlinfirearms.com/firearms/selfloading/70pss.asp

banger
02-17-2012, 16:39
I've had AR-7's and Marlin Papoose's....

Without doubt....

BUY THE MARLIN!

Truthfully, I don't think I have ever gotten through an entire magazine (8 rounds) without a failure.

My Marlin's have been nearly fool proof.

ffr1910
02-17-2012, 17:04
I will offer a different perspective on the Henry ar7. I bought mine from cheaper than dirt about a month ago for $197. I read about it and those who said it was a POS and those who liked it. I out fifty round of bulk lead roundnose through mine last Friday without a single malfunction. I hope this trend continues. Very good shooter for "plastic sights". Bill

collim1
02-17-2012, 17:08
I have shot several and never found one that was reliable. IMO that type of rifle does not need to be semi-auto. Bolt action or even single shot would be better.

VA27
02-17-2012, 17:59
I got one of the 'product improved' Henrys a few months ago (the one with the orange lining in the stock), and it's pretty good. Acceptably accurate and (so far) reliable.

It is however, a little heavier and bulkier than the older models. The addtional bulk comes from the slightly larger stock needed to float the heavier construction.

Through the years I've had an original Armalite and an early Charter Arms and they had no problems at all. I think the spotty rep came with the companies after Charter.

Gino
02-17-2012, 18:39
If it was me, I'd get the Marlin Papoose, a takedown 22 semiauto rifle that would fit in about as much space as an AR7. IMHO, it is a much better rifle...

travis34769
02-17-2012, 18:46
I have one. Its useful and I do take it with me to the woods or camping. Nice to have. Its paid for itself.

Haldor
02-19-2012, 12:46
I've had an Ar7 for 20+ years. Mine is not a Henry however. They are neat little guns but the stock is very wide and bulky and takes up a lot of room in a pack. There are aftermarket stocks for them that reduce the bulk.

A much better quality choice IMO is the Marlin Papoose.

Agree 100%. I own both and the AR7 hasn't been fired in many years.

My AR7 Story (half way down the page).

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1402801&page=2.

ronin.45
02-19-2012, 12:58
The AR7s I've played with were not great guns. They were pretty flimsy and unreliable for their intended purpose. The biggest issue I had with one I shot was the plastic front sight. It would move round at the slightest touch. It was hard to insert or withdraw the barrel from the stock without bumping the front sight out of place. I have no use for a gun that can't hold zero. I'd pack a Ruger 22/45 before I took an AR7 into the woods.