Lcr 357 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Lcr 357

DeLo
02-17-2012, 14:05
Anyone have one? What's your round count at and would you prefer this to a S&W snubbie?? I am worried about the durability of this little guy.

WarEagle32
02-17-2012, 14:40
If u don't mind a double action only revolver it's your gun. My best friend has one that I've shot a lot. I'm not a huge fan of DAO revolvers. I like to cock mine when I can. The gun is very light and concealable. It kicks like a mule with 357 +p loads but if you were to have to use it for self defense your adrenaline would cancel that out. I have went the pocket rocket 9mm path myself. I have a Sig 290 and Ruger LC9 that I love. The 357 LCR would be great to use 38's to practice and full power 357's to use for SD. DAO I'd would be the deciding factor for me if I were you.

Nakanokalronin
02-17-2012, 14:51
I know the .357 version is about 4oz. heavier then the .38spl +P version but my Talo LCR has the best out-of-the-box trigger I've ever felt on a snub nose. I'd figure that the triggers and pull are the same and hopefully someone can confirm that.

venenoindy
02-17-2012, 15:03
I done some research becase I'm intersted in one myself, I have not seen any negative feedback so far and also Ruger has great CS so I would get it if I had the money.

writwing
02-17-2012, 15:07
The 357 LCR is a very easy to carry/conceal and has a great trigger.

Rancher
02-17-2012, 15:07
Bet your hand wears out before the gun will especially if all you shoot is .357! I got to shoot a friends about a month ago and it made me happy I decided to go with the LCR in .38 as the recoil was more than I liked and follow up shots for me sucked with full power loads which is what I figure one would carry in it for SD.

If you shoot it and like it I say it wearing out won't be a problem. Think the torture test one Ruger has is going on like 20K rounds. I read or saw that stat somewhere so I can not give you the source.

Rancher

Bilbo Bagins
02-17-2012, 15:36
Just don't be afraid of recoil. I see so many used LCR .357 for sale. Noobs buy them and load them up with hot load, say ouch, and then quickly trade them in.

bac1023
02-17-2012, 15:43
Just don't be afraid of recoil. I see so many used LCR .357 for sale. Noobs buy them and load them up with hot load, say ouch, and then quickly trade them in.

People are ridiculous with that sort of thing.

JaPes
02-17-2012, 16:03
Ruger KLCR .357

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f275/suba-saab/IMG_0089-1.jpg

I bought mine used a little over a year ago. If it had 50 rounds through it before I got to it, I'd be surprised. I think someone fired a cylinder of .357 Magnum and then sold it. Estimated round count during my ownership:

500 X .38 Special
350 X .38 Special +P
200 X .357 Magnum

Pull trigger = Boom. Repeat.

The manual states to check the fire control housing retaining screw & crane pivot screw. I tightened mine to spec one time, and haven't had them loosen again.

The trigger on the KLCR is real nice.

Rumbler_G20
02-17-2012, 16:15
I've got an LCR in .357 And a Smith.

When it is time to go, I grab the LCR.

And I don't shoot sissy ammunition in it. Ever.

I wouldn't carry it if I didn't train with it. I haven't had any broken fingers or black and blue knuckles. Though I will admit that it is not the gun you want to take to the range to plink at paper targets with all day.

I'm over 1000 full power defensive rounds and it still locks up tight, cylinder gap is right where it is supposed to be, and hands down it has the best double action trigger pull I have ever experienced in a revolver that has not had an action job done.

If I had three thumbs, they would all be up for the Ruger LCR in .357.:wavey:

DeLo
02-17-2012, 19:09
Any issues with it short stroking? I have a S&W 442 ported with Crimson Trace grips that the wife stole from me and I'm in the market for a new 357 because I have so much ammo lying around from an old gun. Do you think the KLCR is the way to go or just go big and get a 3 or 4 inch GP100?

JaPes
02-17-2012, 21:00
Any issues with it short stroking?

:headscratch:

Short stroking a revolver trigger is a user error, not a revolver error.

I have to let the trigger full out to completely reset.

up1911fan
02-17-2012, 21:05
I have the .38 version and plan on adding a KLCR as well as the 22. Best trigger on any snub i've shot. Pinned front sight is another big plus. I've got an XS front sight on mine as well as CTC's. This gun is in my pocket constantly in a TUFF pocket holster. Backed up my G37 today.

Caladan
02-17-2012, 21:10
Will the .357 LCR completely eject the empty cases with a full stroke of the ejection rod? Judging from the pics I've seen, it doesn't look like it would, but I've not handled one.

If the .357 does not fully kick out the .357 empties, will it fully eject .38sp empties?

DeLo
02-17-2012, 21:26
:headscratch:

Short stroking a revolver trigger is a user error, not a revolver error.

I have to let the trigger full out to completely reset.

I know, but I have heard that it is very easy to do with the LCR for some reason compared to the Smiths. I was just wondering if anyone has had this happen to them.

JaPes
02-17-2012, 21:34
Will the .357 LCR completely eject the empty cases with a full stroke of the ejection rod? Judging from the pics I've seen, it doesn't look like it would, but I've not handled one.

If the .357 does not fully kick out the .357 empties, will it fully eject .38sp empties?

OK. Now I understand the short stroke question.

No. It doesn't. A spent .38 Special case is on top. A spent .357 Magnum case is on bottom. This is with the ejection rod fully depressed.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f275/suba-saab/068b90fe-1.jpg

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f275/suba-saab/669595de-1.jpg

Sorry for the crappy cell phone pictures. I just took the pictures now.

ZekerMan
02-18-2012, 06:11
The 357 LCR is a very easy to carry/conceal and has a great trigger.

^^^^This^^^^^^

I only have a couple hundred rounds thru mine but I really like it, also installed a front night sight. You can get a new one with the night sight installed at the factory.

rdpG19
02-18-2012, 06:32
I've got a buddy that has a 357 LCR. Myself, I want a SP101 357 3" both of them are great guns.

AWGD8
02-18-2012, 08:54
I sold mine aftter using it for 3 months.

My only reason for selling It was it only has 5 rounds. :supergrin:

But after carrying my Glock 39 during winter, I realized there is no way I can carry this brick on summer time. I do not care if the Glock will slightly print or not, but it's freakin heavy!

When I had the LCR loaded, I tried sticking it around the band of my short just to feel the bulkiness and weight. O M G ! This is awsome! It weighs less than half of the Glock 39 both loaded.

The only thing I hate about it is the grip. The grip is best to dampen the recoil from a 357 mag ammo, but when you carry it, the rubber handle grabs clothing when drawing. I would prefer the crimson trace grip or boot grip for carry, but it might not be as good for dampening the 357 recoil.

Shooting experience:

It kicks a bit hard using a 357 Magnum, but does not hurt my hand or wrist at all! The stock Hogue grip does the job well!
Whoever complains hurting their hands are bunch of sissies...
I love shooting the 357 rounds, but it will be harder to be more accurate pass 10 yards and also the followup shots. At 8 yards or closer, it is doable to use 357 for defensive carry. It can be very accurate at 16 yards per Ruger, but you need more range time! I do not do this on my Glock 39, bec. It is that accurate!

Do not mix 38 to 357 rounds in one cylinder load. Or better shoot 357 rounds first then 38 last. The reason is simple, if you shoot 38 special or +p , the cylinder will foul up with power residue, since the 38 has a shorter casing. By the time you use the 357 ammo which has a longer casing, it will be harder to eject some casing of the 357 due to powder build up from the shorter 38 casing. When I was shooting in the range using a box of 38 +p, I had a hard time removing a case of 357 once in a while due to the casing sticking. The ejector on the Ruger LCR will only push out the casing 3/4 away out, that means 1/4 of the casing is still inside th rear cylinder hole. And that front casing is where you're getting the most powder residue fouling.

Trigger Experience:

Consistently smooth like a butter. :wow: Although it does not have that single action cocking mechanism, you will be ale to learn to stack up the last few cm of the trigger. You can slowly pull the trigger and at the last end of the pull, you will feel a bit of stacking. You can hold it there and and point then shoot. The last part before it breaks feels like a Single action trigger.
It takes time to learn it, but you can control the trigger like an SA without the cocking mechanism.

Right now, I am thinking about buying another one for summer carry. I am also looking at S&W jframe. But most weigh less tha 15 oz :wow: The LCR 357 weighs around 17oz and it kicks a bit hard using the 357 mag ammo. I love the extra weight of the ruger LCR 357 stainless cyclinder vs the lighter one.

Round count:

200 rds 38 special
150 rds 38 +p
100 357 Mag

If i can afford to shoot 357 rounds all the time, I would do it!
But the 38 +p is decent enough!

Caladan
02-18-2012, 09:30
JaPes,
thanks for not only answering my questions, but also taking the time to put up pics as well.

PattonT
02-18-2012, 12:07
I have short stroked the trigger on the wifes LCR more than on my Smiths but the LCR has a much better trigger. For ~$500 the KLCR is a good buy. Very versatile and easy carry. It is debatable to me if it is worth the 357 over the 38 though.

AWGD8
02-18-2012, 12:27
I bought my brand new LCR 357 last Aug 2010 and paid $480 out the door using this website.

http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/default.aspx

You basically select the gun you want and gungenie will find the closest and cheapest dealer in your area. Then you put a money down online and pay the balance where you are buying the gun locally. The best thing here is you are paying less than buying it directly to the same local dealer you are picking up the gun from. When I picked up my LCR 357, the same store or dealer was selling theirs for $550 plus tax. =)

When you buy at GUNGENIE, you don`t pay transfer fee and background check, bec. it is included on the quote, which was $480 includes shipping to my local dealer, background check and tax.....Just FYI.... I assume the LCR357 is a lot cheaper now since I bought it last year...

J.R. Bob Dobbs
02-18-2012, 23:29
Any issues with it short stroking? I have a S&W 442 ported with Crimson Trace grips that the wife stole from me and I'm in the market for a new 357 because I have so much ammo lying around from an old gun. Do you think the KLCR is the way to go or just go big and get a 3 or 4 inch GP100?

I had an early LCR, the light trigger was prone to short stroking. When this happened, it would lock up until the cyl was manually rotated. Don't know if they all do it, nobody here answered when I asked. Traded it but may buy another someday.