storing mylar sealed rice buckets in damp basement? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : storing mylar sealed rice buckets in damp basement?

Carmen
02-17-2012, 16:35
I'm planning to store a bunch of white rice, beans, and TVP mylar seaeld in buckets. The best place I have to store them is our basement, but it can be damp. If we have a heavy rain, we'll get water in the basement. Since this food will be sealed in mylar bags in buckets, is this a problem? Can the humidity get through the mylar?

quake
02-17-2012, 17:14
If they're sealed well & proper, then no problem. Moisture, air, & even grease and oils can't penetrate mylar. (Watch for rust if using metal buckets obviously.) Damp basements tend to be coolish, which is actually a bonus. If there's any floor moisture, I'd set them up on a raised platform like a pallet or such, but that's probably all.

jljbtm
02-17-2012, 21:15
Keep them off the floor and use a dehumidifier (until the power goes out)

Carmen
02-17-2012, 21:57
Well we use a dehumidifier when water get's in the basement to help clear it out. But all the time would be expensive on our electric bill. It's cool in our bsaement year round, which is a big plus.

jljbtm
02-17-2012, 22:31
Do a little check around the outside of your basement to see if you can find the leak.
Negative grading and gutter leaks should be fixed and may solve that problem.

Carmen
02-18-2012, 00:46
We have looked into it..fixing the gutters helped it significantly but it still happens on occasion. There's other stuff we need to have done but we don't have the money for it right now.