Tactical or Old School? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Tactical or Old School?

travis34769
02-17-2012, 18:41
Your opinion? If I could make a poll I would. There is a major discussion about which one you rather have. A tactical gun with plenty of features such as a laser, light, or something just extra.

So here is a thread for you to explain why.

I personally enjoy tactical. I like accessories and I like having options. It makes it more fun. On my carry weapon I keep it very simple. Only a simple trigger job and that is it. No lights and no lasers. On my other pistols I enjoy all of that stuff.

Metal Angel
02-17-2012, 18:53
I like what would be considered "tactical" like Glocks and other poly guns, but I don't put all the "tactical" garbage on them.

Edit: because that sounded mean-
I don't mean to say attachments are stupid, all I mean to say is I like the benefits of modern "tactical" guns, but I like them to stay clean and simple.

Tim151515
02-17-2012, 18:58
The only tactical things I really like are nightsites. I am not an accessory type of guy, so when I have a chance I go for the old school look/feel. For instance, I would rather have a m1 type rifle than ar15 any day, and an unrailed pistol over a railed pistol any day as well.

M2 Carbine
02-17-2012, 19:33
Because for some years I have experimented and practiced with "tactical" stuff such as gun mounted lasers, Red Dot sights and laser/lights, I have found that these are far faster and much more accurate than anything else that's used for HD and some carry in low light and darkness.

So almost all my defense guns are equipped with "tactical" lasers or laser/lights and or Red Dot sights.
http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x464/Bell-helicopter-407/PX4laserneardark.jpg

http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x464/Bell-helicopter-407/870stockTLR2.jpg

http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x464/Bell-helicopter-407/RugerLCP.jpg

http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x464/Bell-helicopter-407/Mod60laser-1.jpg

http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x464/Bell-helicopter-407/M4withStreamlight.jpg

And some "tactical" stuff is just fun, like this Ruger Charger.
http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x464/Bell-helicopter-407/ChargerTact4.jpg

But on the other hand I like my plain jane guns also.

Airborne Infantryman
02-17-2012, 19:38
Well, since tactical enabled me engage a target further than iron sights would have, I'm gonna vote for tactical. Things such as lasers, optics, and the such, make the odds sway in your favor. In a gunfight, you need all the advantages you can get.

For ya'lls viewing pleasure- my issued weapon. It kept me safe for 12 months in Afghanistan on a daily basis. She's dirty in this pic from shooting about 400 rounds at the range that day.

Optic- Trijicon ACOG TA31-M150
Laser- PEQ-15
Light- SureFire M952V

(All issued equipment)

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7042/6880610591_643668cd85_b.jpg

BUT, the caveat to that, is there are simply some things that just weren't meant to be tactical.....like this-

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7149/6820017847_9554fea605_b.jpg

My SP101 would look weird with a rail, and painted black....

But the following is the sheer beauty of "tactical", my Benelli M4-

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7026/6773848393_cc220ab10b_b.jpg

GlockinNJ
02-17-2012, 19:39
I think functional tactical is fine, but I don't like flashy tacti-cool design looks that have no function.

LSUAdman
02-17-2012, 22:10
In short, to answer your question, yes.

I dont put myself into a corner when it comes to old-school vs tacticool. I like guns. I have ARs, Uzis, AKs side by side with Mosins, Mil Surps and other Old-school weapons.

Some people love new fangled weapons. Some prefer a nice lever action. The way I look at it is that I'd never hang a light on my old school weapons and but I'd deck out my tactical weapons with what ever I thought would make it more useful/fun.

I've never understood the people who respond with "Ugh, that gun aint got no lazers on it so it sucks," or the "anyone who owns a black rifle and isnt .mil or LEO is a ninja" crowd.

There is one person on this board who doesnt hesitate to give you his opinion on what he thinks about Dracos, lasers, SBRs, etc. Why he feels the need to poo poo on people's threads is beyond me.

bac1023
02-17-2012, 22:11
I'm not a tactical guy at all. I like old school.

M2 Carbine
02-17-2012, 22:15
This was tactical in it's day.:supergrin:

http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x464/Bell-helicopter-407/Howdah.jpg

bac1023
02-17-2012, 22:30
This was tactical in it's day.:supergrin:

http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x464/Bell-helicopter-407/Howdah.jpg

Sure was :thumbsup:

Very nice, by the way

ithaca_deerslayer
02-17-2012, 22:35
What does tactical mean?

A way to do something?

A way to put the bullet on target? A way to have enough bullets ready? A way to identify the target? A way to not be seen while you are trying to put bullets on target?

Nestor
02-17-2012, 22:49
I'm Old School Tactical.
I prefer the older guns stripped to their elemental form, designed for nothing more than deadly social callings and keeping people on the right end of the barrel alive.
I have tried to present my choices in what is the most impressive form possible...yet I do realize that the high gods of capacity are not satisfied with my efforts :supergrin:

Airborne Infantryman
02-17-2012, 22:56
What does tactical mean?

A way to do something?

A way to put the bullet on target? A way to have enough bullets ready? A way to identify the target? A way to not be seen while you are trying to put bullets on target?

:supergrin:

:wavey:

:whistling:

tac·ti·cal   [tak-ti-kuhl]

adjective

1. of or pertaining to tactics, especially military or naval tactics.

2. characterized by skillful tactics or adroit maneuvering or procedure: tactical movements.

3. of or pertaining to a maneuver or plan of action designed as an expedient toward gaining a desired end or temporary advantage.

4. expedient; calculated.

5. prudent; politic.

ithaca_deerslayer
02-17-2012, 23:02
So how would you relate one of those above fancy definitions to a gun being considered tactical?

+10 points if it is more useful than my folksy talkin' letter things.

bac1023
02-17-2012, 23:18
"Tactical" doesn't really mean much of anything.

All I know is that I hate lasers, rails, and lights.

John Biltz
02-17-2012, 23:29
First of all saying an M1 is not tactical would have made my dad laugh. Personally, I carried M16s and M60s when I was 18 back in '74. That was nearly 40 years ago. No one called it tacticool back then. The fact was a pistol grip instead of the traditional stock improves point-ability. I like a red dot sight because I don't see as good as I used to and they help young eyes be faster as well. I remember guys taping Maglites to their handguards when we did MOUNT. I don't own an AR with a Red dot to be cool, I own one because its what I carried when I was a young man and I like to be able to easily see my sight instead of squinting to see them. My honest opinion is in twenty years or less you will not even see iron sights on military rifles. Sure you see a lot of useless junk on rails but a lot of it was derived because of honest need. I remember reading Guns and Ammo and an article on hunting in Alaska with a new laminated stock on his rifle and how great it was because it was so stable. I remember articles about new after market finishes on rifles and pistols so they would not rust. The truth is manufacturers did not push the products, they responded to the wants and needs of the customers who wanted durable guns that did not rust even if they did not look as nice. I also think if this board existed in the late 1800s there would have been numerous posters that cap and ball was the way to go and you were a fool to trust cartridges and they would never last.

ithaca_deerslayer
02-18-2012, 00:30
. . . I also think if this board existed in the late 1800s there would have been numerous posters that cap and ball was the way to go and you were a fool to trust cartridges and they would never last.

I don't know about that, but those revolving cylinder things are just a fad. Nobody needs that many shots if you know how to aim. Next thing guys will want the rounds to magically appear as if they came out of your grip and went directly into the barrel all by themselves :rofl:

MajorD
02-18-2012, 09:19
I prefer old school no bells and whisltes just give me something that works- don't care if were talking about competition guns or carry guns- in my experience there is an inverse relationship between how geared out you get and how well the gun works - simple is better. And when I use my plain jane stock carry guns in idpa type matches or my old iron sighted revolvers in traditional bullseye matches and still shoot better than 80% of the guys with all the gizmo gadget guns, I feel rather satified- more so than if I tried to chase points with all the "stuff"

NEOH212
02-18-2012, 10:04
For me it really depends more on what I plan on using the gun for. I like simple and functional. I don't like, "Tacti-cool" unless it actually serves a purpose beyond the cool factor. I don't have a problem with rails, lights, optics, ect just so as long as the actually enhance the capabilities of the firearm or my abilities as a shooter.

I like a gun to be complicated and enhanced just as much as it has to be in order for me to accomplish with it what I intend to do. Usually that means the simpler the better.

M&P15T
02-18-2012, 10:10
More tactical.

Holo-sights, RDSs, & lights on things like rifles and shotguns are a definite help.

Two Guns
02-18-2012, 10:15
I am old school though I do like night sights.

fnfalman
02-18-2012, 10:17
I don't know about "tactical", but these M1917s were "combat" handguns back in their days. They were weapon made for war; designed and manufactured to fire shots in anger, to put hot lead on target. They can still do that nowadays.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f308/fnfalman/Guns/Old%20Wheelguns/Revolvers015.jpg
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f308/fnfalman/Guns/Old%20Wheelguns/Revolvers022.jpg

M&P15T
02-18-2012, 10:23
Sigh..........

Nevermind.

NEOH212
02-18-2012, 10:24
I don't know about "tactical", but these M1917s were "combat" handguns back in their days. They were weapon made for war; designed and manufactured to fire shots in anger, to put hot lead on target. They can still do that nowadays.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f308/fnfalman/Guns/Old%20Wheelguns/Revolvers015.jpg
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f308/fnfalman/Guns/Old%20Wheelguns/Revolvers022.jpg

:wow:

Those sure are some nice old wheel guns you have there!

And who said that revolvers were obsolete? I have a feeling that those guns will still be around and in working order long after we're gone. :whistling:

NICE! :thumbsup:

fnfalman
02-18-2012, 10:33
Sigh..........

Nevermind.

So, if these wheelguns were use in self-defense (personal combat), they aren't "tactical" because they don't have laser sights and red dot scopes and plastic body and high capacity magazines?

I'm pretty certain that the Doughboys had to do some tactical stuff with these guns back in Dubya Dubya One. You know, like fighting in the trenches against the Huns, ducking around corners and rolling in mud, maybe use these guns to bash in some heads. If that ain't tactical then I don't know what is.

DreamWeaver88
02-18-2012, 10:52
"Tactical" doesn't really mean much of anything.

All I know is that I hate lasers, rails, and lights.

After seeing your post about the Taurus Judge type guns....My last 2 purchases would probably make you cringe.....lol. :dunno:

http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL806/138216/250085/368666580.jpg

http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL806/138216/420631/400970099.jpg

I like all different types of guns, but I tend to purchase ones that are more toward the "tactical" side.....if you want to call it that.

DW

K.Kiser
02-18-2012, 10:53
I can see usefulness in a night light and possible a shell holder on a sxs or something, but most of the tactical stuff is just hokie crap to me...

Bob Hafler
02-18-2012, 12:04
I have no problem with tactical rifles, but some of this tacticool crap is for people who are to lazy to lean how to shoot properly. I fear that if the shtf most of these tacticool gun others will last about as long as there batteries hold out..

M&P15T
02-18-2012, 12:29
I have no problem with tactical rifles, but some of this tacticool crap is for people who are to lazy to lean how to shoot properly. I fear that if the shtf most of these tacticool gun others will last about as long as there batteries hold out..

Can you expound on this please. What tacticool crap do you think removes the need to learn how to shoot properly?

jrs93accord
02-18-2012, 12:56
When it comes to my handguns, I prefer Old School - no rails, no lights, no lasers. I do have a few that have the accessory rail and one of those has a weaponlight I can attach to it. My ARs, on the other hand, are mostly set up for tactical use. The rest of my rifles are Old School.

jwhite75
02-18-2012, 13:02
I appreciate them all. My carry gear are modern guns Glock 23 and a Sig 228. and a modern j-frame a 340 m&p.

I still love the look of the old blue steel and wood.

I do use the lasers and lights situationally for HD.

Batesmotel
02-18-2012, 13:22
What tacticool crap do you think removes the need to learn how to shoot properly?

Red dot sights
Optics
Lasers
Bi pods/momo pods
Add-on grips
Bubble levels
Range finders
Electronic BDC calculators
Straps/slings

I am an instructor. I spend a considerable amount of time teaching marksmanship. All of these items have their place but they do not replace the fundamentals of sight alignment, sight picture, proper position, bone support, breathing, trigger control, follow through. Etc

In the last few years I have had several students tell me they do not need the fundamentals because they have some piece of tactical gear.

IE. "I don't need to learn how to use sights because my gun has a laser" I have heard this sort of thing several times.

To the untrained, gear is an equipment solution to a training problem.

To the trained, gear is an enhancement to the basic skills.

Nothing wrong with decking out a gun but many shooters feel it is a replacement to learning the basics.

M&P15T
02-18-2012, 13:59
Red dot sights
Optics
Lasers
Bi pods/momo pods
Add-on grips
Bubble levels
Range finders
Electronic BDC calculators
Straps/slings

I am an instructor. I spend a considerable amount of time teaching marksmanship. All of these items have their place but they do not replace the fundamentals of sight alignment, sight picture, proper position, bone support, breathing, trigger control, follow through. Etc

In the last few years I have had several students tell me they do not need the fundamentals because they have some piece of tactical gear.

IE. "I don't need to learn how to use sights because my gun has a laser" I have heard this sort of thing several times.

To the untrained, gear is an equipment solution to a training problem.

To the trained, gear is an enhancement to the basic skills.

Nothing wrong with decking out a gun but many shooters feel it is a replacement to learning the basics.

If you've been training people for years, and only had "several" student suggest that accessories are a replacement for knowledge and experience, I'd think you're doing pretty good.

Bill Lumberg
02-18-2012, 14:15
Ooh, goody. I learned that slings are tacticool and not necessary if you know how to shoot properly. Ahem...

Batesmotel
02-18-2012, 14:16
If you've been training people for years, and only had "several" student suggest that accessories are a replacement for knowledge and experience, I'd think you're doing pretty good.

Problem is they have all been in the last couple of years and the frequency is increasing.

Batesmotel
02-18-2012, 14:18
Ooh, goody. I learned that slings are tacticool and not necessary if you know how to shoot properly. Ahem...

So you saying with all the add on accessories you don't need to know the basics?

Diesel McBadass
02-18-2012, 14:22
Depends for me. For hanguns i like a nice clean appearance, long guns i like tactical things like eotecs and rails. Makes em cool.

Never got why anti-tactical is the newest fad?

Jeff82
02-18-2012, 14:40
So would you rather go to air-to-air combat today and bet your life in a F-22 or a P-51?

JMag
02-18-2012, 14:48
Give me a reliable and loaded gun...I'll make it tactical.

wanderinwalker
02-18-2012, 14:51
So you saying with all the add on accessories you don't need to know the basics?

I think he may have been implying that learning to use a sling IS one of the basics. I'm an NRA Highpower and 4-P shooter; the idea that a sling is an add-on to compensate for lack of basics rankles me. It's one of the first things we teach new shooters at clinics, how to use a cotton M-1 sling or a 1907 leather sling. Right up there with sight alignment, trigger squeeze and NPA.

Anyway, to the question of the OP, I'm non anti-tactical, I'm anti-nonfunctional. While the most tactical item I currently possess is the night sights on my Glock, I see no harm and potential benefit to properly applied lasers, red dot sights, weapon-mounted lights, etc. I believe the harm is in where people get a laser sight and then believe it relieves them of the need to practice the fundamentals.

My current fascination is pretty non-tactical anyway; smallbore target rifles and anything blued, Smith and Wesson and chambering in .38 Special or .357. Once this runs its course, I may pick an M-Faux and throw a red-dot on it for some run-and-gun games. :whistling:

Teecher45
02-18-2012, 14:57
Some of both.
I do like to be able to identify what I am about to shoot, before I shoot.

jrs93accord
02-18-2012, 16:04

If I may, I think what he is trying to say is, no matter what kind of gear you add to your weapon, it does not replace the need for the basics of marksmanship: sight picture, sight alignment, breathing control, and trigger control.

As for a sling, It can be used as a shooting aid. Military Rifle Match competitors us e them to help with movement control. I learned how to use on that way when I was in the Marine Corps. At 100 yds Standing, 300 yds kneeling, and 500 yds prone, we used the M14 rifle sling on our M16A1 as a shooting aid. It, in no way, was a substitute for the basics.

As for myself, my father (former USMC drill Instructor, deceased) taught me at a very young age, the basics of marksmanship. Back in the mid to late '60s, there was no high tech gear like there is today. I learned to shoot a 1955 Colt Frontier Scout .22 SA and a '50s Remington Sportmaster .22LR bolt action rifle. The lessons he taught me at an early age have been invaluable. I try to pass on the same fundamentals to those I teach when I get the opportunity.

fnfalman
02-18-2012, 16:20
So would you rather go to air-to-air combat today and bet your life in a F-22 or a P-51?

Do your tactical modern guns fire maneuvering self-guided bullets that explode via range sensing computer chips?

M&P15T
02-18-2012, 19:53
Here's the irritating thing about some in the "anti-tactical" crowd. They repeatedly voice the incorrect observation that those that use things like optics, lasers, grips and such, use them because they have no shooting skills. They then go on to say how much better their shooting skills are than the tactical crowd, because they don't use "tactical" stuff on their weapons.

A smart and savvy person wants every possible advantage on their side, including good shooting skills. Adding things like RDSs, Holo-sights, VFGs, lasers, lights, are simply taking mechanical advantages that exist, and using them to compliment and enhance their skills.

This is not a black and white topic. Just because one chooses to take advantages available to them, does not mean that they don't posess the proper skills. I've seen plenty of "bare-bones", "anti-tactical" shooters that can't hit the broad-side of a barn. I've seen this just as often as one sees an uber-tactical weapon owning ninja who also can't hit the broad-side of a barn.

Glock Fanatic
02-18-2012, 21:32
In my opinion (as the title says) I believe its all in what you are using your firearm for... For example if you are carrying for duty then a simple set of night sights should surfice... however if you are needing a home defense weapon, I believe that a good light/laser combo would be more than appropriate. By law you are required to positively identify your target before engaging, therefore the light will keep you from having to find a flashlight at 2am when some knuckle-head comes through your kitchen window, and the laser sight aimed high center mass on his chest will make him think twice before coming at you or your family members...

Nestor
02-18-2012, 22:12
By law you are required to positively identify your target before engaging, therefore the light will keep you from having to find a flashlight at 2am when some knuckle-head comes through your kitchen window, and the laser sight aimed high center mass on his chest will make him think twice before coming at you or your family members...

The same light will force You to cover with your muzzle anything that You will direct your light on, including your family members. Maybe a bit less tactical flashlight should be kept beside the gun instead?

sns3guppy
02-18-2012, 23:00
Tactical is what you do with the weapon, not what you hang on it.

Glock Fanatic
02-18-2012, 23:37
The same light will force You to cover with your muzzle anything that You will direct your light on, including your family members. Maybe a bit less tactical flashlight should be kept beside the gun instead?

I agree to an extent... however, I do have a flashlight beside my bed where I keep my gun at night because I dont yet have a tac-light... but when It came to me getting out of bed because someone was trying to get in the back door my first reaction was to grab my gun, wake my wife and tell her to call the police and then to the bedroom door where I could see down the main hallway and also both front and back doors... grabbing the flashlight didnt even occur to me until after the addreneline had wore off and I went back to my normal state of mind... my daughter is 6 and besides my wife and I and our 10 month old son (who isnt going anywhere by himself) she is the only other person in the house... so with the tac light/laser on the gun if I were to draw down on someone at "high center mass" it would be about a foot above her head, and in WORST case scenario she would have the muzzle on her for less then a split second before the weapon is lowered...

BUT to avoid all that we PRACTICE what to do if someone is trying to get in the house or is already in the house several times a month... I even have my wife comfortable in clearing the house when Im not home so even if my daughter came out of her bed she knows to stay in her room until either I or her mother go get her personally to avoid any more confusion in an already stressful situation... Another thing to consider is good trigger disipline (keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to fire)... I know my glock isnt going off until I pull the trigger which wouldnt happen until I completely Identify my target... I dont believe in accidental discharges... as the saying goes "guns dont kill people, PEOPLE kill people..."

vtbluegrass
02-18-2012, 23:49
You can put me squarely on the fence. I like both a fully decked out AR is cool but an old lever gun is dang pretty to me. It don't mean a thing when it comes to putting rounds on target though. When it comes to buying guns I like having the one light and laser type tactical rifle and handgun but I want a bunch of the old school to collect and have range fun.

FLIPPER 348
02-19-2012, 00:12
I'm Old School Tactical.

Me too. I built and shot this today:

(...but I wll be installing a rail on it for nightstand/roadtrip duty)

USMC03Grunt
02-19-2012, 01:20
I guess I grew up in the days of old school where killing Haji with an A2 and iron sights seemed to work well enough then as I'm sure it would today. When it comes to the "tacti-kewl" stuff, much like a warning label on a bottle of whiskey, I follow the "enjoy in moderation" line of thinking. My personal M-4gery is outfitted pretty much the same as the one I carried in Afghanistan with an M68, Matech BUIS, mainly empty Knights RAS (except for a flashlight) and the same Vickers sling I had on my issue M4. The idea of visible lasers (IR lasers combined with NVGs are another matter), bipods, tough-guy handles, off-set iron sights, chainsaw handles, and other junk on the other hand that adds a lot of bulk and weight for a minimal return in performance is the crap I can easily live without. Ah, I can hear it now though, "But, but, but...I won't look like an 'operator' without a ton of accessories tacked on my gun!" Know what, I knew a lot of the real "operators" over in the JSOC compound and I got news for you, most of them kept their rifles stripped down to bare minimum (regardless of what hollyweird would have you believe) rather than having to hump all that extra useless weight that slows you down.

BEER
02-19-2012, 01:34
making bullets come out the pointy end, THAT'S tactical, everything else is just gravy.

Nestor
02-19-2012, 01:50
Me too. I built and shot this today:

(...but I wll be installing a rail on it for nightstand/roadtrip duty)

That is a very good pistol You have there :cool:
I've seen 1911's with the rails already.
Seriously that configuration didn't bother me much.
I'm not a fan, but as Glock Fanatic said - right preparation is everything. Works for him very well - I sure can see that.

fnfalman
02-19-2012, 02:52
So, you're saying that a gun isn't "tactical" unless it has gadgets?

An M1 Garand isn't tactical any more even though it was used in a world war and two other minor wars plus who knows how many conflicts?

Here's the irritating thing about some in the "anti-tactical" crowd. They repeatedly voice the incorrect observation that those that use things like optics, lasers, grips and such, use them because they have no shooting skills. They then go on to say how much better their shooting skills are than the tactical crowd, because they don't use "tactical" stuff on their weapons.

A smart and savvy person wants every possible advantage on their side, including good shooting skills. Adding things like RDSs, Holo-sights, VFGs, lasers, lights, are simply taking mechanical advantages that exist, and using them to compliment and enhance their skills.

This is not a black and white topic. Just because one chooses to take advantages available to them, does not mean that they don't posess the proper skills. I've seen plenty of "bare-bones", "anti-tactical" shooters that can't hit the broad-side of a barn. I've seen this just as often as one sees an uber-tactical weapon owning ninja who also can't hit the broad-side of a barn.

CajunBass
02-19-2012, 04:18
I guess I'm old school. I like my guns in blue steel and walnut, although I will accept stainless steel and hardwood on occassion.

I do have a muzzle-loader that's black and has a plastic stock though. :supergrin:

M&P15T
02-19-2012, 06:04
So, you're saying that a gun isn't "tactical" unless it has gadgets?

An M1 Garand isn't tactical any more even though it was used in a world war and two other minor wars plus who knows how many conflicts?

Correct. an M1 is now "old skool". But, I understand and approve of your sarcasm.:supergrin:

series1811
02-19-2012, 06:27
It depends on what I am doing. When I was doing high risk warrants over and over again, I like an AR with an attached light, an electronic sight, a foregrip, and a VTAC sling. I like my shotgun with a 14 inch barrel, an attached light, and a one point sling. I like my handgun, in a Safariland drop holster, but pulled up higher than most people, with an attached light.

But, when I am out on weekends, shooting cans or whatever, I like a plain jane gun, with nothing but iron sights and a wooden stock. Maybe, because that's the way I grew up shooting and it brings back pleasant memories.

I have had enough days of shooting ARs and shotguns, all day (or days, sometimes), in tactical courses over the years, to have had the fun pretty much beat out of that.

Shooting cans back on a bayou, or some back forty somewhere is still fun. :supergrin:

vafish
02-19-2012, 07:04
I hate the word tactical it has been so over used it means nothing.

To me the word tactical has become synonymous with mall ninja.

I like practical accessories on my guns that have real world uses.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

MadMonkey
02-19-2012, 07:18
It depends somewhat on the weapon. I like my AK's in both classic and tactical... AR's the same way (building an A1-style soon). However, I cherish weapons like my Browning .22 that was passed on to me from my dad, who had it passed on from his dad. I'll never even put a scope on it. I also love old-school lever guns and bolt guns.

I don't really care as long as it's functional. My AR has an AFG, red dot, light and flip up sights... all of that is a result of trying things out and finding out what works best for me (even though the rifle looks like a Magpul commercial :rofl:).

Whatever works for you. Screw what other people think :dunno:

M2 Carbine
02-19-2012, 08:44
It's very easy to prove to yourself if you need some of the "tactical" stuff on your guns.
(I think the use of "tactical" all the time is a little silly)

Take note of how well you shoot during the day, including defense type shooting like fast aimed and point shooting on the move. Maybe throw in a little weak hand and shooting from unusual positions.

It's said that 70% of defense shooting take place in low light. Chances are if you are in a defense shooting it will be in low light.
So, now try your defense shooting, point shooting, etc, when the conditions are such as this.
http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x464/Bell-helicopter-407/PX4laserberm.jpg

http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x464/Bell-helicopter-407/laserlightonBG1.jpg

http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x464/Bell-helicopter-407/Backyardrangeatnight.jpg

If you can do as well in low light (with a hand held light) as you do in daylight you do not need such as gun mounted lasers, gun mounted lights or laser/lights.

Personally I do far better in low light shooting using such as lasers and laser/lights than I shoot during daylight.
For instance, I pretty much suck shooting with a hand held light in low light. I can't begin to do such as this when shooting without the laser or laser/light in low light. So I mount lasers or laser/lights on everything, making fast accurate shooting in low light and dark child's play.
http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x464/Bell-helicopter-407/PX4laserneardark.jpg

http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x464/Bell-helicopter-407/Laser40yards.jpg

http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x464/Bell-helicopter-407/CTlefthand15shots-1.jpg

Reb 56
02-19-2012, 09:55
The only weapon I have that maybe considered Tacticl is my AR it has rails and a scope. I dont consider scopes to be tactical, just a way to be more accurate. As for the rails they just look right on an AR.
All my other guns are old school, wood and Steel for my Rifles & Shotguns and my Pistols are Glocks and 1 J Frame 642.

fnfalman
02-19-2012, 11:08
Nobody claims that gadgets don't have use.

I have an issue that others claim a gun can only be "tactical" if it were to have gadgets attached to it.

esh325
02-19-2012, 14:15
I much prefer the old school firearms/equipment, but when your life depends on it, a lot of times the tactical stuff just has more utility.

carloglock19
02-19-2012, 15:42
The only thing I keep old school is my EDC (except for night sights) and my shotgun.

NEOH212
02-19-2012, 20:41
Nobody claims that gadgets don't have use.

I have an issue that others claim a gun can only be "tactical" if it were to have gadgets attached to it.

:agree: