Ruger LCP issues [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ruger LCP issues

SkyyUniverse
02-17-2012, 19:09
Just my experience. Bought a brand new LCP today and already made arrangements for shipment back to Ruger for repair.
Shot 1 box, 50 rounds, to break it in. During cleaning after noticed small piece of the metal rail on lower missing. Gun still functioned, but eventually the slide going over this gap in the rail would be an issue.

After repair gun will be sold and no more Rugers bought.

Size and weight sure was great on that gun. Just cant put a 27 in the pocket like that, oh well.

Andrewsky
02-17-2012, 19:39
Get a Walther PPK. All steel.

M2 Carbine
02-17-2012, 19:45
Got a picture? Or describe where the rail is missing.

rahrah12
02-17-2012, 21:03
Do you know if this section was missing when you bought it or it broke while shooting?

Paul7
02-17-2012, 22:49
Mine was so bad Ruger finally gave me a refund. It's Kel-tec replacement has been fine. And I'm not a Ruger basher, my LCR is great.

SkyyUniverse
02-18-2012, 08:01
the LCP is already enroute to Arizona. So never took any pics. The missing piece appeared to be a "flake" or "chunk" of the bottom section of slide rail.

The gun fired 50 rounds flawlessly and cycled fine. But it was a new gun and I think eventually the slide would have had some issues riding over a gap in it's rail.

I did field strip gun before shooting but only saw the issue after when detail cleaning.

Ruger said expect 3 to 4 weeks for repair.

SevenSixtyTwo
02-18-2012, 09:04
I carry a G26 in a Desantis Nemesis in my pocket every day while working. Not a perfect draw like the LCP but it can be made to work if pocket carry is the only way. The G27 would be no different. Our LCP went back for repair and has since been flawless. I've carried it in my shirt pocket.

Narkcop
02-18-2012, 10:18
I have an LCP that has been flawless and it is my hot weather pocket gun. Lately I been carrying a S&W Bodyguard that is also flawless after 200 rounds.

argy1182
02-18-2012, 12:43
No issues here with my LCP. I pocket carry it daily.

vtbluegrass
02-19-2012, 00:21
If you still want a pocket 380 and your confidence is shaken in the LCP I encourage you to look at the Taurus TCP. I am not normally a Taurus fan by any means and will take a Ruger revolver any day over the Taurus ones on looks alone but they really did the TCP right. Bigger trigger loop and the grip design for me is much more comfortable to shoot when at the range. Pick one up, forget preconcieved notions about Taurus, and you will like it.

AZ Jeff
02-19-2012, 10:58
Just my experience. Bought a brand new LCP today and already made arrangements for shipment back to Ruger for repair.
Shot 1 box, 50 rounds, to break it in. During cleaning after noticed small piece of the metal rail on lower missing. Gun still functioned, but eventually the slide going over this gap in the rail would be an issue.

After repair gun will be sold and no more Rugers bought.

Size and weight sure was great on that gun. Just cant put a 27 in the pocket like that, oh well.
Do you customarily make it a policy of never buying another product from a manufacturer if you get a defect in a single one? Sounds like a drastic over-reaction.

rohanreginald
02-19-2012, 11:10
You should have bought a Kel-Tec PF9. Mine is perfect.

SkyyUniverse
02-19-2012, 14:47
AZ Jeff, for some products I give 2nd and 3rd chances. For a life or death item like a gun I don't. A broken spring on a mag is one thing or some other minor thing.
To me it was a quality control issue.
If I bought a new Glock and had to return for repair after 1 day I would sell it also.

Either way it cost me confidence in the gun.

I will make sure it's fixed and functional before selling it.

To the guns credit it did fire and cycle with a rail issue. But again, yes I'm that picky.

Call it overreaction if you like. I call it expecting what I paid for.

ColdSteelNail
02-19-2012, 14:58
Any gun can have a problem. Don't be to fast to count out Ruger. Judge them on how they handle the situation.

travis34769
02-19-2012, 16:52
Any gun can have a problem. Don't be to fast to count out Ruger. Judge them on how they handle the situation.

Thats right.

CorkyE
02-19-2012, 17:18
Lot of us have no problems with that Ruger. One (LEO) friend has a Kel Tec that's about as reliable as a politician and another has a Taurus that like you, sent back after first outing on the range.

madAB
02-19-2012, 20:58
I have had not had a single issue with my LCP. It's a great pocket gun in my opinion. I can understand your frustration but, like you mentioned, the gun did not have any malfunctions. I wouldn't be so quick to discount the gun. . . let alone Ruger as company.