DPMS and ISSUES [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : DPMS and ISSUES

Colt452zigzag28
02-17-2012, 20:50
I bought a DPMS Panther myself after Finding one I liked but also THOUGHT I could upgrade myself and do what I want to it BUT I bought a tapco stock wrench off of C*(*^#$ T&$* D*%! and an MAGPUL ASAP for it. When I tried to loosen the castle nut my wrench wouldn't budge it....So i put a little more pressure on the nut and the wrench started to dig into my threads, I stopped there and took it to a gunsmith who told me that I ruined the threads and he would try. After about 20 min he came back with a broken tool and a bent tool and said It's not moving and that he would have to cut the buffer tube and remove the threads a different way, Quoted me 80 for the new Free float hand guard I want put on and 70 to remove the old stock and put a new one on. So total I would have to pay $230 for everything due to having to by a whole new stock set!!! I paid $800 for the rifle and I would be up to $1030 total.

My question is has anyone else had this problem with their AR and What did I do wrong?

Honestly I didn't think I was going to have this whole dilemma when I started otherwise i would have just taken it to a gunsmith.

My Advice is take anything you have to a gunsmith before trying to DIY with a gun.

medic2258
02-17-2012, 20:57
I'm simply amazed that anyone would pay $800 for a DPMS rifle.

rjdriver
02-17-2012, 21:06
The last one I took off (about a year ago) was held on with 271 Locktite and once you take out the buffer and the spring a little heat goes a long way in getting it loose, plus a good wrench that fits with long handle and a vise block to hold it......expensive mistake ....yes.....but you will never do that one again.....so chalk it up to learning.....the right tools and a little knowledge goes a long way...... brownell's has some great videos on how to do it, online...if you haven't done one before.

JaPes
02-17-2012, 21:13
My question is has anyone else had this problem with their AR and What did I do wrong?

Most rifles purchased as complete rifles have the castle nut/end plate staked in place. It's supposed to be staked so that it doesn't loosen. Removing a staked castle nut usually means you'll have to install a new buffer tube.

I just Googled "DPMS Castle Nut" and found several threads on various forums stating that DPMS uses blue thread locker on their castle nuts. In this case, carefully apply heat to loosen up that castle nut.

My Advice is take anything you have to a gunsmith before trying to DIY with a gun.

I disagree. My advice is to do your research and due diligence so that you fully understand the firearm platform before attempting to do any work.

I've always been told that just because you own the tools, doesn't mean you know how to use the tools.

cdog533
02-17-2012, 21:56
Changing a stock is pretty easy. As stated, DPMS castle nuts are NOT staked.

A tool like this http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=27454/Product/CAR-15-M4-BUTTSTOCK-WRENCH should work (jesus I cant believe its $80).

Just have the guy do it for you if you don't want the hassle. It's probably a commercial sized buffer tube, not mil-spec, make sure he knows that. Have him stake the nut when he installs the ASAP (and don't forget the little metal lock block thingie that holds the ASAP in place).

DirectDrive
02-17-2012, 23:52
Most rifles purchased as complete rifles have the castle nut/end plate staked in place. It's supposed to be staked so that it doesn't loosen.
No, some are staked. The better builders stake.
If you don't see staking, suspect Loktite.

Removing a staked castle nut usually means you'll have to install a new buffer tube.
This is false.
You may have to replace the end plate because this is where the staking occurs.
You may replace the castle nut, depending on the result and how fussy you are.

Get your facts straight before you preach.

OP, I recommend that you do not use this smith for your Black Rifles.
He should have known how to deal with this if he was checked out on Black Rifle.
He is not.

Good luck.
DD

Colt452zigzag28
02-18-2012, 01:10
Thanks for the Info All,

I've been reading on the other Threads that Heat works as well to loosen up the locktite? Has anyone had to heat up their gun?

I researched as much as I could and people didn't seem to struggle much with it as I am.

The Armorer is a nice guy and I hope and pray he knows what he's doing. I have to have him remove my grip to put a free float on it anyways so I'll prob just give up and let him deal with it, for a hefty penny I might add. Are all Armorer's expensive?

WayaX
02-18-2012, 01:25
Removing a staked castle nut usually means you'll have to install a new buffer tube.

If you have to replace buffer tubes because you removed a staked castle nut, you're doing it wrong.

faawrenchbndr
02-18-2012, 06:37
If it's not staked, and it does not break loose easily, I always
suspect LockTite, I heat the castle nut for a few seconds with
a torch to break the LockTite's bond.

Key here is, it would seem you bought a POS tool and may
have entered this "work" a bit unprepared. However, it does
happen and we do learn from deals like this.

JaPes
02-18-2012, 06:51

I've always been told that just because you own the tools, doesn't mean you know how to use the tools.

This is false.
You may have to replace the end plate because this is where the staking occurs.
You may replace the castle nut, depending on the result and how fussy you are.

Get your facts straight before you preach.

If you have to replace buffer tubes because you removed a staked castle nut, you're doing it wrong.

:faint:

...and I just proved my own statement about tools by being an idiot myself.

I got text messages from a couple friends who lurk here asking if I was drunk...fell & hit my head...if my mom was drinking when she was pregnant...etc.

bmoore
02-18-2012, 08:56
The DPMS wasnt the one with issues. Apply heat to the castle nut and it most likely would have backed off just fine.

faawrenchbndr
02-18-2012, 09:17
The DPMS wasnt the one with issues. Apply heat to the castle nut and it most likely would have backed off just fine.

Very true,.......I use MAP gas for this. About 15-20 seconds
of applied heat would have broken the bond.

Hour13
02-18-2012, 09:22

There's a guy on TGT putting "Red-x" uppers(?) on PlumCrazy lowers, and selling 'em for $800-$850.

And they're actually selling!

:wow: :wow: :wow:

DirectDrive
02-18-2012, 10:38
The Armorer is a nice guy and I hope and pray he knows what he's doing.
Good luck with that.
He couldn't handle a simple stock removal and he had to use (and wreck) your wrench while bungling the job ?

have to have him remove my grip to put a free float on it anyways so I'll prob just give up and let him deal with it, for a hefty penny I might add. Are all Armorer's expensive?
No you don't.
Maybe a member here knows of of good Black Rifle smith in your area ?
Or post in the Hometown Forum on that AR15 Forum and ask there.

Black Rifle is a specialized discipline and some of the traditional gunsmiths just don't do Black Rifle.
Let this guy practice on someone else's stuff.

Question, if he didn't have a simple castle nut wrench, how on God's Green Earth is he going to secure your receiver properly to do the free float work ???

Colt452zigzag28
02-19-2012, 02:29
Update:

Handed the gun to my father who is a mechanic earlier today. When I got home the castle nut and buffer tube was off the gun.. I guess the heat trick worked well. Should have asked him to do it in the first place. AND he says he can rethread the messed up buffer tube. So all i need now is a new castle nut only if I want to make my gun look pretty.

Easy solution and saved me $150!!!!

Thanks guys for all your help!!!

Javelin
02-19-2012, 02:31
Update:

Handed the gun to my father who is a mechanic earlier today. When I got home the castle nut and buffer tube was off the gun.. I guess the heat trick worked well. Should have asked him to do it in the first place. AND he says he can rethread the messed up buffer tube. So all i need now is a new castle nut only if I want to make my gun look pretty.

Easy solution and saved me $150!!!!

Thanks guys for all your help!!!

Good job :wavey:

faawrenchbndr
02-19-2012, 05:25
Darn good news,..........

Hour13
02-19-2012, 11:03
Glad to hear it man. Heat is great for getting threadloc loose, for stuck castle nuts, toss it in the freezer for 30-40min(no longer!). The aluminum upper will cold-contract faster than the steel castle nut, essentially breaking it loose for you.

TangoFoxtrot
02-19-2012, 11:18

:popcorn:..and here we go!

G19freak
02-19-2012, 12:53
You should never need a "gunsmith" to modify a PROPERLY built AR---proper meaning NO LOCTITE!!!-----EVER.

Singlestack Wonder
02-19-2012, 13:12
you should never need a "gunsmith" to modify a properly built ar---proper meaning no loctite!!!-----ever.

+10........