Another PPQ review. First time out. 200 flawless rounds of crap ammo later [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Another PPQ review. First time out. 200 flawless rounds of crap ammo later

Hokiegrass
02-17-2012, 21:39
Wearin the O-face!!

http://i927.photobucket.com/albums/ad112/Hokiegrass/andysamberg.jpg

Sporaticus
02-17-2012, 21:43
Better sell it while you still can before the massive recoil tears your hand off.

Hokiegrass
02-17-2012, 22:04
Better sell it while you still can before the massive recoil tears your hand off.

Too late.... I left my severed hand at the range.

People actually complain about the recoil on the PPQ? 9mm ppq?

Havasu
02-17-2012, 22:04
If I keep hearing these glowing reviews I'm going to have to buy one.

Congrats.

Sporaticus
02-17-2012, 22:26

Oh yeah. Apparently, to some people, it is much more severe than other brands. Almost uncontrollable, which may come from a lack of experience. One guy is even afraid to shoot it in .40SW.

matt_lowry123
02-17-2012, 22:46
Oh yeah. Apparently, to some people, it is much more severe than other brands. Almost uncontrollable, which may come from a lack of experience. One guy is even afraid to shoot it in .40SW.

Do you have one? Or shot one?

carbuncle
02-17-2012, 22:51

He must brown his shorts at the thought of the PPS in .40...I'm hearing too much good about the PPQ, I think I need one.

Rooster Rugburn
02-18-2012, 10:16
Too late.... I left my severed hand at the range.

I lost my right arm below the elbow to a PPQ. But I really liked my new nickname "Lefty".

Then I learned to shoot with my left hand, and lost it to the wrist. Now they call me "Nubbin". I have to type with a pencil in my mouth.

I am trying to learn to shoot a PPQ with my feet, but shooters warn I'll just lose my feet then. What nickname will they give me then?

Oh well.

matt_lowry123
02-18-2012, 11:09
I lost my right arm below the elbow to a PPQ. But I really liked my new nickname "Lefty".

Then I learned to shoot with my left hand, and lost it to the wrist. Now they call me "Nubbin". I have to type with a pencil in my mouth.

I am trying to learn to shoot a PPQ with my feet, but shooters warn I'll just lose my feet then. What nickname will they give me then?

Oh well.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I think I know what they'd call you, but I'd get an infraction if I wrote it down!!

Sporaticus
02-18-2012, 11:21
Do you have one? Or shot one?

I have two, one in 9mm and one .40SW

cowboy1964
02-18-2012, 12:38
Recoil/flip is all relative. The fact is the PPQ seems to have a relatively high number of shooters who do say they think recoil is a bit harsh, considering.

I'd still like one.

Sporaticus
02-18-2012, 13:35
The fact is the PPQ seems to have a relatively high number of shooters who do say they think recoil is a bit harsh, considering.

There is probably a reason for that, other than actual recoil.

I move from pistol to pistol when I shoot action pistol, and never really notice or pay any attention to recoil. If it was as bad as some people pretend, it would be obvious without looking for it.

One of the first things people comment on when I let them shoot a PPQ is how light it is. The second are the ergonomics. But I have yet to hear complaints about recoil. But they are typically more advanced shooters with a lot of experience and training.

barth
02-18-2012, 14:08
I did shoot a friends Walther PPS/40.
And it seemed to have more recoil than my Glock G27/40.
Bore Axis maybe?

The PPS/40 recoil felt very much like a Kahr P40 to me.
I can shoot it, but practice is no fun.

Still, a Kahr P9 is a pure pleasure to shoot.
I'm absolutely sure, without actually firing it,
the PPQ in 9mm would be nothing short of SWEET!

The Walther PPQ 9mm may very well be my next gun.
If I can just stop buying different barrels for my G27 - LOL!
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/walther_ppq-tfb.jpg

matt_lowry123
02-18-2012, 14:18
The recoil isn't bad at all. It's the flip that's what I don't like and it's not that bad. The only other 9mm that I have is an M&P. I think the M&P still is better, for me anyways.

I still love the ppq and I'm sure with more rounds I won't ever notice a difference between the two.

Scott3670
02-18-2012, 22:45
Would all of you just stop talking about how nice the PPQ is? I do not need another gun... don't want another gun... and the wife will beat me over the head if I get another gun.

I implore you - stop the madness!

:tongueout:

Sporaticus
02-19-2012, 00:36
Your wife is very wise. She just doesn't want you to get hurt. I've lost two trigger fingers, and two middle fingers (switched to using them after losing the index fingers, so technically I lost 4 trigger fingers) to the PPQ and it's massive recoil and muzzle flip.

We had a guy at our range actually get killed when the muzzle flipped up out of control and hit him in the head, splitting it wide open. His brain oozed all over the line. It wasn't pretty.

Most PPQ shooters will stand next to a pole and shoot like the homies. The pole helps keep the recoil and muzzle flip from hurting anyone.

HKLovingIT
02-19-2012, 09:19
I went shooting my 9mm PPQ with my 13 year old son yesterday. Recoil and muzzle rise is bad ???? :rofl:

Junior's comments were that it was awesome and a really fun pistol. Of course he can do other cool things like shoot 1911s, and various plastic wonders in .40 and .357 SIG, so I expect he has a lot more range time than some. :tongueout:

I have a review I'm working on with all my usual pics and comparison shots, but the brief summary is - it's one of the most fun 9mm plinkers I've encountered. I think every American should go to their local arms dealer and purchase one.

FCastle88
02-19-2012, 09:41
I did shoot a friends Walther PPS/40.
And it seemed to have more recoil than my Glock G27/40.
Bore Axis maybe?

The PPS/40 recoil felt very much like a Kahr P40 to me.
I can shoot it, but practice is no fun.

Still, a Kahr P9 is a pure pleasure to shoot.
I'm absolutely sure, without actually firing it,
the PPQ in 9mm would be nothing short of SWEET!

The Walther PPQ 9mm may very well be my next gun.
If I can just stop buying different barrels for my G27 - LOL!
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/walther_ppq-tfb.jpg
The PPS has more felt recoil than the G27 because the single stack PPS has a much narrower backstrap, meaning the recoil is concentrated into a smaller surface area.

T-Rod45
02-19-2012, 09:47
This forum will be the death of my savings account... :brickwall:

fnfalman
02-19-2012, 09:49

The sissification of America.

Sporaticus
02-19-2012, 10:05
The sissification of America.

Well, I would have used another word, one that started with a "p", but the point stands.

wanderinwalker
02-19-2012, 10:19

Whoa! Best not hand those folks anything with any kind of horsepower! No wonder my .357 Magnums turn so many heads at the range. People must not believe you can survive firing those kinds of cannons! :wow:

Anyway, it's nice to read these things about the new Walthers. Correct me, but it looks like the PPQ is a revamped-product improved P-99? Had one of those a long while ago and thought it was a great pistol. Got rid of it because I shoot my Glock 17 bit better and faster, but the Walthers are very nice in my experience.

Sporaticus
02-19-2012, 11:59
Correct me, but it looks like the PPQ is a revamped-product improved P-99?

It began life as the P99 RAD. Licensed to and produced by Fabryka Broni Radom in Poland. If I'm not mistaken, the changes that made the P99 into the PPQ were mostly implemented by FBR. Apparently, Walther liked them.

Vance665
02-19-2012, 12:02
I shot my buddies PPQ and my 17RTF2 back to back. There was a little more flip to the PPQ but hardly worth mentioning and the trigger was NICE. I really didn't notice the extra muzzle rise when I just shot the PPQ by itself.

unsigned
02-19-2012, 14:12
Shot my .40 PPQ for the first time in a Bowling Pin match yesterday. I know it was flying by the seat of my pants a bit to be shooting a competition with a gun I'd never shot before, and to be honest I didn't do thaaaat well, but it was fun, the gun was flawless and preformed exactly as I had hoped.

I had used a relatively hot load for knocking the pins down, and it did well. I wouldn't call the recoil excessive in any way, again, exactly as I expected.

edit: It wasn't quite flawless, I just remembered I was using mags from my SW99, and one jammed and didn't drop free (really bad impact on my shot time). I'd never seen that in my SW, so we'll see how things continue. It was just one mag out of eight, one time and not one of the included new ones.

Gary1911A1
02-19-2012, 14:54
Shot my PPQ in 9MM and Glock 19 at the range Friday. I didn't have my shot timer with me, but I'm certain my splits were less with the PPQ than with the Glock. As for muzzle rise I couldn't tell a difference with plain S&B ball ammo. The PPQ is that good.

Rooster Rugburn
02-19-2012, 15:24
I shot my buddies PPQ and my 17RTF2 back to back. There was a little more flip to the PPQ but hardly worth mentioning and the trigger was NICE. I really didn't notice the extra muzzle rise when I just shot the PPQ by itself.

One of the best kept (top secret, eyes only) secrets in all of the shooting sports is the Glock nano technology that allows it to not only defeat gravity, but defeat Newtons laws of Motion, the laws of linear momentum, and the laws of conservation of momentum. With a Glock, the concept of force is not subordinate to the conservation of momentum. Which is really an extraordinary achievement.

Inside the glock barrel, nano technology is activated with the trigger pull, that puts a perfect layer of nano-technical acceleration lubrication that allows the bullet to speed down the barrel faster than any other firearm, reducing friction, and eliminating all recoil and muzzle flip.

Not only that, but a Glock employs accuratizing nanotechnology that makes a bullet find the perfect point of aim out to 20 miles. You literally cannot miss with a Glock. It's physically and nano-technically impossible.

Due to these significant technological advantages, any brand 22LR pistol has 1000x more recoil than a Glock in .45ACP, 9mm, 40SW, or .357Sig