Clip Draw for G30. Good/bad? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Clip Draw for G30. Good/bad?

dooku77
02-18-2012, 10:02
I need some input. I saw this clip and it interested me and seemed like a really cool concept. Any input.

Bill Lumberg
02-18-2012, 10:44
It's a horrid concept. Cripdraw and trigger guard placebos such as mic and saf-t-block are just really poor alternatives to holsters. More crack dealer level stuff than anything.

Keoking
02-18-2012, 10:48
I need some input. I saw this clip and it interested me and seemed like a really cool concept. Any input.

It's only a good idea if you carry with one in the chamber.

dooku77
02-18-2012, 10:55
It's a horrid concept. Cripdraw and trigger guard placebos such as mic and saf-t-block are just really poor alternatives to holsters. More crack dealer level stuff than anything.

Lol. That's so funny. I saw it in the store and thought it was pretty neat idea.

robhic
02-18-2012, 12:34

Don't mean to hi-jack, but what is the problem with the MIC? OK, saf-T-blok is a gimmick (please DO NOT ask me how I know... :wow:) but the MIC I bought works really safely. I mean, that sucker has really good retention.

If so inclined, I could hang a weapon from the rear view mirror of the car (probably break the windshield swinging...) but MIC holds well. I use it as a safe way to store a pistol. Not so much clip it to a belt and drop it down the front of my pants.

kodiakpb
02-18-2012, 12:41
Not a fan of clip draw. Name one advantage over a quality IWB holster. Looking gangster doesn't count.

RoundBrown
02-18-2012, 12:44
The reason clip-draws are not a preferred option is that the trigger is exposed and bunched up clothes things in your pocket etc. are more likely to hung up in the trigger well as opposed to a IWB where the holster covers the trigger..I applaud you for asking the question before making the decision hopes this helps..

Brad55102
02-18-2012, 12:56
Bad Bad Bad

look at the Raven concealment Vanguard 2
or a Crossbreed Supertuck

bruzer
02-18-2012, 13:01
When carrying a Glock one of the main reasons a real holster is important is preventing things from getting into the trigger area. The clip draw does not do that and not a product I would recommend. Taking part in shooting matches might not interest you but there is no shooting organization that would allow you to use the clip draw. Of coarse I am no expert so be careful and stay safe.
Mike

For good holsters give Glock Talk members Tommy THEIS or coachG (PJ Holsters) a look.

dango
02-18-2012, 13:48
The reason clip-draws are not a preferred option is that the trigger is exposed and bunched up clothes things in your pocket etc. are more likely to hung up in the trigger well as opposed to a IWB where the holster covers the trigger..I applaud you for asking the question before making the decision hopes this helps..

This would be the reply for me .

Larry V
02-18-2012, 14:14
Spend you money on a quality Holtster.Its unsafe to use the Clipdraw.

dooku77
02-18-2012, 14:48

I definately wanted to ask first. I didn't really know much about it so I thought I would turn to my trusty forum members for guidance.

Bruce M
02-18-2012, 16:48
I agree
It's only a good idea if you carry with one in the chamber.
Probably meant without one in the chamber for the reason above.

SCSU74
02-18-2012, 17:05
I would rank it somewhere next to worst idea in the history of the world. Get yourself a crossbreed an save yourself he trouble and possibly a gunshot wound

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

G36Bell
02-18-2012, 17:21
Not a fan of clip draw. Name one advantage over a quality IWB holster. Looking gangster doesn't count.

I can wear a pair of shorts and a tight t-shirt, and you will not be able to my G-36 in a MIC holster. I have plenty of IWB holster that still print on the clothes. Definitely not a gimmick.

BTW I would never use a clip draw. Let alone use one just by itself. You will shoot ur nutz off.

G36Bell
02-18-2012, 17:24
Don't mean to hi-jack, but what is the problem with the MIC? OK, saf-T-blok is a gimmick (please DO NOT ask me how I know... :wow:) but the MIC I bought works really safely. I mean, that sucker has really good retention.

If so inclined, I could hang a weapon from the rear view mirror of the car (probably break the windshield swinging...) but MIC holds well. I use it as a safe way to store a pistol. Not so much clip it to a belt and drop it down the front of my pants.

+1 ^ I love my MIC....:cool:

dooku77
02-18-2012, 17:38
I can wear a pair of shorts and a tight t-shirt, and you will not be able to my G-36 in a MIC holster. I have plenty of IWB holster that still print on the clothes. Definitely not a gimmick.

BTW I would never use a clip draw. Let alone use one just by itself. You will shoot ur nutz off.

Omfg I just watched a video on the mic holster. Thank you very much. I saw that once and didn't even consider it. Now I know how it works and I am ordering one.

UrbanCowboy
02-18-2012, 22:33
I like it. I have even used one with a round in the chamber. But i'm not an idiot and have control over my finger and never used it in the front of my pants where my wiener could pull the trigger while drawing it. It can be used in conjunction with a leather holster btw. But it's great if for example your wearing pajama pants and your dog wakes you up because she needs to pee and you don't want to have to change into pants with a belt. Ever tried using a holster with pajama pants or basketball shorts and no belt? If you haven't, what happens is the holser comes out with the gun still in it. The Raven concealment Vanguard 2 seems like it would be a great additon to the Clipdraw to add even more versatility.

kvtcomdo
02-18-2012, 22:41

Had one, took it off; hated it!:yawn:

PattonT
02-18-2012, 23:13
I wouldn't carry a Glock without the trigger protected.
http://www.wtvr.com/news/wtvr-father-kills-self-grocery-store-20111114,0,314000.story

Sonnytoo
02-18-2012, 23:15

Nice, reasoned response. I agree. I bought one; have had it in a box for five yrs; never tried it; never will.
Sonny

Taphius
02-18-2012, 23:36
I use a clip draw and a vanguard daily

johntom
02-19-2012, 04:17
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, You said...

[QUOTE=UrbanCowboy;18599893]wiener QUOTE]

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

P.S. Epic Fail on my part for screwing up the quote

Ryobi
02-19-2012, 06:56
Well said clipdraw is inadequate, mic is a gimmick best suited for a nightstand, not carry. The reason clip-draws are not a preferred option is that the trigger is exposed and bunched up clothes things in your pocket etc. are more likely to hung up in the trigger well as opposed to a IWB where the holster covers the trigger..I applaud you for asking the question before making the decision hopes this helps..

hsprincipal
02-19-2012, 07:38
I always cover my **** and my trigger. Get a good holster. Be safe.

Pierre!
02-19-2012, 10:02
Clipdraw is a nice solution... but if you like the Clipdraw, check out the Vanguard 2 - It's Da Bomb!

Here is the thread on the Vanguard 2 (http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1396776&highlight=vanguard)

Covers the trigger, and it's a 'minimalist' holster. It will handle all of the 9mm, .40, and .357 line... possibly the .45 line as well since it grabs the trigger guard.

Price? should be *VERY* reasonable considering the number of pistols you can use it with.

Hope that helps...
Patrick

Dave Nowlin
02-19-2012, 10:26

I don't know you but you seem a bit opionated. I have MICs for both my Glocks and I suspect I've been carrying a pistol far longer than you.

wyattearp
02-19-2012, 12:04
Nice, reasoned response. I agree. I bought one; have had it in a box for five yrs; never tried it; never will.
Sonny
Want to sell me your clipdraw? I am apparentlyone of the minority that finds them useful.

Bill Lumberg
02-19-2012, 12:32
That's very revealing. I wish you the best of luck with your choices, Dave Nowlin, Fisher of Men. :thumbsup:

I don't know you but you seem a bit opionated. I have MICs for both my Glocks and I suspect I've been carrying a pistol far longer than you.

hikerpaddler
02-19-2012, 12:49
I've carried all my guns in paper sacks for 75 years. So that means paper sack carry makes sense............. Right-o.

Dave Nowlin
02-19-2012, 13:45
That's very revealing. I wish you the best of luck with your choices, Dave Nowlin, Fisher of Men. :thumbsup:

I don't believe I'm the one who chose to insult other people's choices for weapon carry. I'm neither a crack dealer, user of drugs or alcohol. Before you insult the MIC, try buying one and using it. I carried a 1911 Mexican Carry for years with no problem. Now I can carry that way with the triggerguard covered until the weapon is outside of my pants and the muzzle is pointed forward away from me. How many IWB or OWB holsters continue to cover the triggerguard after you have drawn your weapon until it is moving forward away from you toward the target. Another point I might make is concealed carry is an asset to you only as long as you are able to successfully conceal. If you are in a convenience store and someone enters the store to rob it, the first person he will confront is you if he sees you are armed. The MIC is the most concealable holster you can put a Glock in. Another thing is, I tied the cord from my MIC to a 10# dumbell and then after insuring my G27 wasn't loaded, I snapped the MIC onto the triggerguard and lifted the dumbell off my garage floor. I tried it again with a 15# dumbell and the MIC pulled free. If that isn't retention, what is?

dooku77
02-19-2012, 14:07
I've carried all my guns in paper sacks for 75 years. So that means paper sack carry makes sense............. Right-o.

LOLOLOLOLOL. That's it! Pure brilliance. A revolver in a paper sack. That is hilarious.

dooku77
02-19-2012, 14:12
I don't believe I'm the one who chose to insult other people's choices for weapon carry. I'm neither a crack dealer, user of drugs or alcohol. Before you insult the MIC, try buying one and using it. I carried a 1911 Mexican Carry for years with no problem. Now I can carry that way with the triggerguard covered until the weapon is outside of my pants and the muzzle is pointed forward away from me. How many IWB or OWB holsters continue to cover the triggerguard after you have drawn your weapon until it is moving forward away from you toward the target. Another point I might make is concealed carry is an asset to you only as long as you are able to successfully conceal. If you are in a convenience store and someone enters the store to rob it, the first person he will confront is you if he sees you are armed. The MIC is the most concealable holster you can put a Glock in. Another thing is, I tied the cord from my MIC to a 10# dumbell and then after insuring my G27 wasn't loaded, I snapped the MIC onto the triggerguard and lifted the dumbell off my garage floor. I tried it again with a 15# dumbell and the MIC pulled free. If that isn't retention, what is?

I think the mic is a fantastic carry option. The g30 being a little bit thicker doesn't help. I've already tried leather and cloth holsters this past week and even with one size bigger pants and a jacket, I can still see something the size of a pistol and I usually carry at about 4 o'clock. Unfortunately appendix carry isn't an option for me but might be with the mic. This is an interesting carry option and I'm going to order one.

G36Bell
02-19-2012, 14:21

+1.....this MIC is kinda like the Glock pistol itself, different and very changed from a traditional pistol. Its what I love about em. Here is a minimal holster that fits that design also. If you don't have one or have not even tried it, why are you even commenting on it? For those of you looking for an alternative way of carry, go for it 20 buck ain't gonna break the bank. I CCW @C1 all day every day( with a razor edge MIC). Both nutz still in tact. IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO GET TO THE TRIGGER WITH A MIC IN PLACE. :supergrin:

Dave Nowlin
02-19-2012, 14:25
actually I don't carry "appendix carry" with the MIC. I carry with the gun in somewhat of an F.B.I.cant inside my waistband at about 3 o'clock or barely past. I find this to be a comfortable carry setup for all day. I use the MIC with my G30SF and my G27. Each gun has it's own MIC. let's face it what other holster is as cheap as a MIC and offers any where near the safety factor. To successfully shoot yourself while drawing from a MIC, you would really have to work at it. In fact if you did shoot yourself, I suspect it would be on purpose. To twist Erkel's words, "why would anyone want to do that"?:supergrin:

Bill Lumberg
02-19-2012, 14:38
I own one. It came with a 4 holster lot I purchased a while back. I wouldn't use it for carry unless there simply weren't any proper holsters available. As someone else noted, it's not a bad idea for a nightstand, if you don't have a single solitary holster to put it in. I agree that it's an improvement on mexican carry, but I wouldn't personally choose to eschew a proper holster when there are so many reasonably priced ones available. The glock sport comes to mind. For those that are attracted to this sort of thing (MIC, clipdraw, saf-t-block, etc.), as long as you aren't hurting anyone else, why shouldn't you be able to buy and use what you like? What might not be adequate for some might wildly exceed the expectations of others. Good luck whatever you choose.

Veedubklown
02-19-2012, 15:03
I carried with the clip-draw for over a year.

Pros

Thinnest possible.
Cheap.
Resonably well made.
Versatile. I've clipped it to the map pocket of my driver's door, because getting to a left handed holster while driving is, difficult. Also clipped it to the under-side of seats.
Keep the safety between your ears on while carrying, and you wont put a hole in yourself.

Believe it or not, your trigger does get covered. By your belt. As I said, over a year, no hole. If your not sure if you will shoot yourself, carry C3. Check your trigger at the end of the day. Still cocked? Grats, if you were carrying a loaded gun, it still would be a loaded gun.

Cons

Not secure. If you do any kind of real physical activity (need to jog somewhere, for example) cover it. It will bounce.
Bad retention. I've slipped it out, sitting down on a couch. I knew immediately it slipped out, but could be bad in public.
Eventually, it will break. It's a consumable item. It bends, then you bend it back. Then this cycle repeats, until one day, it doesn't bend, it breaks. Have a spare, or shop for a real holster.
Your gun won't fit any holsters. I had to clearance my Blackhawk cerpa holster, to fit my clip-draw.
People on GT hate it. That doesn't matter. They hate everything that's not a glock. Unless it's a glock. They hate those too.
It covers the slide serations, so it can be kinda slick, and hard to get a grip on, to charge your pistol with. Especially bad if your carrying condition 3, and/or sweaty. I put a piece of talon grip on mine, worked great.
If your stupid with loaded weapons, you might put a hole in yourself. I don't think the clip-draw will solve natural selection. If you were going to put a hole in yourself with a firearm, chances are your own negligence will allow it to happen sooner, or later. It's not the clip-draw's fault.

I eventually made and switched to a super-tuck type hybrid holster, and am 100% satisfied. I made my holster, for about what I paid for the clip-draw. What ever you choose, be safe, and carry.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e197/veedubklown/Firearms/6ad5c97c.jpg

dooku77
02-19-2012, 15:22
actually I don't carry "appendix carry" with the MIC. I carry with the gun in somewhat of an F.B.I.cant inside my waistband at about 3 o'clock or barely past. I find this to be a comfortable carry setup for all day. I use the MIC with my G30SF and my G27. Each gun has it's own MIC. let's face it what other holster is as cheap as a MIC and offers any where near the safety factor. To successfully shoot yourself while drawing from a MIC, you would really have to work at it. In fact if you did shoot yourself, I suspect it would be on purpose. To twist Erkel's words, "why would anyone want to do that"?:supergrin:

I just ordered my mic just now. I was debating over the regular or the razor. I chose the regular. Only a 10% retention difference and a dollar cheaper. If they are good enough for deep cover law enforcement agents, they are good enough for me. It's right up ally with how concealable it is.

Kchur00
02-19-2012, 15:26
Gave thought to a clip-draw, but didn't feel all that comfortable with an exposed trigger down my pants, so went with a holster. Accidents can happen. I still think it's an interesting concept, though, just not for me.

SCSU74
02-19-2012, 15:35
I just ordered my mic just now. I was debating over the regular or the razor. I chose the regular. Only a 10% retention difference and a dollar cheaper. If they are good enough for deep cover law enforcement agents, they are good enough for me. It's right up ally with how concealable it is.

What deep cover Leo's use them? I find it hard to believe any Leo would consider using one, let alone someone UC

stopatrain
02-19-2012, 15:40
No thanks.

dooku77
02-19-2012, 16:18
What deep cover Leo's use them? I find it hard to believe any Leo would consider using one, let alone someone UC

Well considering that glocktech makes a mic designed for leo I am assuming that is for leo and not some cheap title thrown on a product and given their success since 1997 also kind of helps in the decision. I don't know of any other company that has been around for 15 years that survived putting crappy holster options on the market. Also consider that the guy who made these was a police officer and invented these out of necessity for deeper concealment. There are currently 6 agencies in Kentucky, 2 in Nevada and 1 federal agency that utilize this product. Anything is worth trying if it only costs 19 bucks but has full retention. I don't plan on hanging upside down on a play set while ccw.

Bob Hafler
02-19-2012, 17:11
Not on my glock. I can't see the advantage over a good holster.

Ryobi
02-19-2012, 17:19
There isn't one. Not on my glock. I can't see the advantage over a good holster.

Ryobi
02-19-2012, 17:21
For emulating a street punk or for unchambered vest carry for a backup weapon, it might actually have an LE application.
Well considering that glocktech makes a mic designed for leo I am assuming that is for leo and not some cheap title thrown on a product and given their success since 1997 also kind of helps in the decision. I don't know of any other company that has been around for 15 years that survived putting crappy holster options on the market. Also consider that the guy who made these was a police officer and invented these out of necessity for deeper concealment. There are currently 6 agencies in Kentucky, 2 in Nevada and 1 federal agency that utilize this product. Anything is worth trying if it only costs 19 bucks but has full retention. I don't plan on hanging upside down on a play set while ccw.

dooku77
02-19-2012, 18:03
Holding your gun sideways while shooting may emulate a street punk. I don't believe a small piece of kydex that tucks into the waist band would qualify or that either. There are members here that support mic and some who don't. I will be one that will support it. Some members brought to my attention that clip draw is not a safe option if there is a round chambered. That is a concern for me. After some research and review reading I chose the mic. I've had my fair share of leather holsters and not much works on me. I am 5'6" tall and it seems everything prints on me. My brother in law is very tall and skinny and appendix carries in a 100% kydex holster. I don't find that very street punk at all.

SCSU74
02-19-2012, 20:03
Holding your gun sideways while shooting may emulate a street punk. I don't believe a small piece of kydex that tucks into the waist band would qualify or that either. There are members here that support mic and some who don't. I will be one that will support it. Some members brought to my attention that clip draw is not a safe option if there is a round chambered. That is a concern for me. After some research and review reading I chose the mic. I've had my fair share of leather holsters and not much works on me. I am 5'6" tall and it seems everything prints on me. My brother in law is very tall and skinny and appendix carries in a 100% kydex holster. I don't find that very street punk at all.

Try a crossbreed or variant at 4 o clock

glockfanbob
02-25-2012, 14:51

I think I am your brother in law. :rofl: :wavey:

dooku77
02-25-2012, 15:40

Yes you are and you are a good deal taller than me without my Chippewa boots on lol

dooku77
02-25-2012, 15:40

I'm forever jealous of your kydex appendix carry.

glockfanbob
02-26-2012, 07:07
I'm forever jealous of your kydex appendix carry.

Hey we all can't be built like a european supermodel (female). :embarassed::supergrin:

Even when I had my 29sf I appendix carried but couldn't get away without it printing in the summer.

I have thought about the MIC before but never pulled the trigger on it. I'll be curious to hear your review on it.

Is the length of draw (to snap off the kydex from the trigger guard) adjustable? I would assume so by wrapping the strap around the belt more. If so I could see it as a possible for myself to try out for those hot summer days and going to the store. Of course I sweat like a greased monkey so that poor glock would be nasty in no time. :couch:

dooku77
02-26-2012, 09:12
Hey we all can't be built like a european supermodel (female). :embarassed::supergrin:

Even when I had my 29sf I appendix carried but couldn't get away without it printing in the summer.

I have thought about the MIC before but never pulled the trigger on it. I'll be curious to hear your review on it.

Is the length of draw (to snap off the kydex from the trigger guard) adjustable? I would assume so by wrapping the strap around the belt more. If so I could see it as a possible for myself to try out for those hot summer days and going to the store. Of course I sweat like a greased monkey so that poor glock would be nasty in no time. :couch:

It should be arriving here in the next 2 days. I believe it's just a piece of paracord that can be made into a shorter loop. My new g30 is like trying to conceal one of Ricky's VCR under my shirt. I'll do a quick write up about it when I receive it. Maybe I can show it to you this summer ;)

glockfanbob
02-26-2012, 10:58
It should be arriving here in the next 2 days. I believe it's just a piece of paracord that can be made into a shorter loop. My new g30 is like trying to conceal one of Ricky's VCR under my shirt. I'll do a quick write up about it when I receive it. Maybe I can show it to you this summer ;)

I do remember the 29 feeling like trying to conceal a PS3 smothered in thermal paste in the summer. :whistling:

I look forward to the write up. For $20 it's worth a shot and if you don't like it you could probably sell it here in the classifieds for $15.

Look forward to the reunion. :drink:

dooku77
02-26-2012, 12:41
I do remember the 29 feeling like trying to conceal a PS3 smothered in thermal paste in the summer. :whistling:

I look forward to the write up. For $20 it's worth a shot and if you don't like it you could probably sell it here in the classifieds for $15.

Look forward to the reunion. :drink:

Maybe I can fashion an entire holster out of thermal paste. Lol. Man his latest venture made me puke last week. Can you say lying about money and buying a 75" tv for thousands. Yes that really happened. I just puked again. I think I hear my xbox sizzling. Time for the paste.

Glockworks
03-03-2012, 20:26
There isn't one.
You guys/gals(?) are kidding right? I just took out my DeSantis IWB holster and noticed it added some girth to my G26 (and G19 too). So then I put my G26 in my wasteband Mexican carry and saw the difference right away. Thus one advantage is that there is a much less chance that a person using a Clipdraw with or without a MIC holster will be "made". Others have made some valid points on the disadvantages of the Clipdraw though.

I ordered before I looked at this thread one Clipdraw and after reading some after the fact, I ordered 2 MIC holsters too.

Glockworks
03-03-2012, 20:38
Duplicate post

Bill Lumberg
03-04-2012, 06:23
Suitable for clipping a pen to your shirt, not a gun to your pants. A glock sport or crossbreed are examples of reasonably priced options that are more adequate.

dooku77
03-04-2012, 08:45
I purchased a mic holster for edc and I'm not looking back. It sits deep enough that it won't fall out and it's so thin it disappears.

Ryobi
03-04-2012, 09:22
Unless they've come out with something new, the mic isn't a holster.

Vincine
03-05-2012, 12:51
I need some input. I saw this clip and it interested me and seemed like a really cool concept. Any input.Have you seen the VersaCarry? I went though this thread and didn't see it mentioned.

http://averagejoeshandgunreviews.blogspot.com/2012/02/versa-carry-generation-ii.html

http://www.versacarry.com/gen-ii-versacarry-clip.html

http://www.versacarry.com/

whitey4311
03-07-2012, 08:11
I carry with clipdraw and vanguard holster daily as well. I think clip draw is a great idea when combined with something that covers the trigger. As of now I am trying the Remora and like it. I have all the nice holsters like the supertuck, VM2, Raven and still think minimal holsters are most comfortable.