Sight Alignment [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Sight Alignment

IDCG
02-18-2012, 10:19
Hello Mas

In a few of your articles you talk about three-dot alignment versus "post-in-notch" alignment and I don't understand the difference:)

With me, if I'm aligning the front sight in the rear notch, it seems the dots are aligned horizontially as well.

What's the difference between the two sight alignment methods and when would one be favored over another?

Also, is it true one should focus on the front sight so that the target and rear sights are a blur?

Thanks!

v/r

Ira

Mas Ayoob
02-18-2012, 18:10
Ira, if we assume a "center point of aim" instead of a six o'clock hold, the dots are going to be below the top edges of the sihouetted "post in notch" sight picture.

Even if they are perfectly aligned for horizontal dispersion (windage) they won't be exactly the same for vertical dispersion (elevation).

The dots being lower and therefore closer to the bore axis, when you get down to really precise shooting, a sight picture with the dots will hit a little bit higher than the sight picture taken with the top edges of the conventional post in notch sight picture.

Case in point: about ten years ago, my daily carry gun was a Glock 22 loaded with 165 grain Black Hills JHP ammo (the most accurate factory .40 S&W load I found for that gun) rated for 1140 foot-seconds. In an NRA Hunter Silhouette match at out to 100 yards (or was it meters? I forget, but the gun and ammo didn't seem to know the difference) I would take a silhouette post in notch sight picture and if I did my job, hit the steel chickens and pigs center at 50 and closer. At 75 and 100, I used the three dots; this raised elevation enough to bring the bore in line to hit the turkeys and the rams respectively. In a 25 yard NRA Service Pistol match, I found the dots faster to align and accurate enough for 3 to 7 yards, and used the silhouetted post in notch sight picture for the 15 and 25 yard stages.

Worked for me, and if you give it a try, may well work for you.

best,
Mas