Interesting pocket carry experience [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Interesting pocket carry experience

BuckyP
02-18-2012, 11:46
Thought I might share an experience I had pocket carrying last night that made me go hmmm.

I was meeting an old friend (old band mate) at a "small venue" rock concert last night. I knew it was going to be HOT inside the place, so I wanted to travel light / pocket carry. My go to pocket gun is a SW 642, but for some reason I decided to blow the mothballs off my Kahr P9 Covert thinking the flatter profile (no cylinder bulge) might work better in a denim pants pocket.

So the place was super packed, as in massive fire code violation packed. We were packed like sardines the entire time. I even moved more to the rear (further from the stage) thinking that there'd be a little more room, no such luck. Anyway, I'm enjoying the band and I hook my thumb on my pockets and feel a mag where it shouldn't be. Yep, the mag ejected. I know it was seated when holstered. So push it back in, feel a positive click. About 15 minutes later, I do a check and it's out again.

When I got home I checked the gun and nothing seems to be problematic. The button is stiff and takes a some force to release with a fully loaded magazine. I also did a quick compare in the pocket between the Kahr and J frame, and really don't feel I gained much if anything.

BTW the Kahr was carried in a DeSantis Nemisis holster in my left hand pocket. Obviously, left pocket exposes a traditional mag button more.

Some takeaways I had:
1. Don't change something without testing / familiarizing yourself with it (even if it was a something familiar "years" ago)
2. If I were to begin using an auto with traditional pocket carry, I would look into trying a kydex style holster, which also protects the mag button.
3. Gives though to alternate style mag releases (HK / Walther paddle or heal releases) on a pocket gun.
4. Despite how much I enjoyed the band, I have much less tolerance of being "crowed" (putting it mildly) for 3 hours.

Anyway, today back to normal and a G30 on my hip. Life is good. :supergrin:

Thoughts / comments / criticism welcome. :wavey:

mrsurfboard
02-18-2012, 12:55
5. dont pocket carry

Nakanokalronin
02-18-2012, 13:18
It's necessary to test any new gun, part or carry rig system before putting it into normal use.

Nothing wrong with pocket carry since it allows one to carry when other methods won't do. Not everyone wears the exact same clothes and does the exact same activities every single day of their lives. Having a variety of carry options is way better then not carrying at all.

I prefer IWB 99% of the time but use pocket carry when necessary. For bike riding I use a 5.11 holster shirt under my normal shirt with a snub nose. If I didn't have that, I wouldn't carry at all when riding the trails.

Maybe I missed it but I'm assuming the OP is left handed?

Bodyarmorguy
02-18-2012, 13:18
Though I have been lambasted on this forum before regarding this topic, accused of attempting to force my opinion on people, I will say it again. Concealed carry is about commitment, not convenience or comfort.

Your pistol belongs on your hip and your cell phone in your pocket....not vice versa.

End of rant. BAG out.

CitizenOfDreams
02-18-2012, 15:00
I shortened my PM9's mag release button. The original one was way too tall for pocket carry.

Caver 60
02-18-2012, 15:32
I'm not a lefty. And I generally don't pocket carry my PM9, but I virtually always have my P3AT in my right front pocket no matter what else I'm carrying. I do have an old Nemesis for my PM9.

The P3AT Nemesis doesn't push on the mag release. But the Nemesis for the PM9 did push on the magazine release. So I modified my Nemesis by recutting it and re-sewing it, so it more closely matches the profile of the P3AT Nemesis. This also allows for a smoother draw.

Like I said, my PM9 Nemesis is pretty old. I don't know if DeSantis has fixed this problem or not. But if they haven't, IMO they should. Never had a problem with the P3AT mag release and the few times I've pocket carried the PM9 I haven't had the problem with the modified holster.

muscogee
02-18-2012, 15:40
That seems to give an advantage to the heel release for pocket carry.

collim1
02-18-2012, 15:44
Though I have been lambasted on this forum before regarding this topic, accused of attempting to force my opinion on people, I will say it again. Concealed carry is about commitment, not convenience or comfort.

Your pistol belongs on your hip and your cell phone in your pocket....not vice versa.

End of rant. BAG out.

5. dont pocket carry

I disagree. I think pocket carry has a place. I dont do it often, but its a nice option to have.

BuckyP
02-18-2012, 16:03
It's necessary to test any new gun, part or carry rig system before putting it into normal use.

Maybe I missed it but I'm assuming the OP is left handed?

Yep, stupid mistake. Should have just gone with what I knew and was comfortable with. Years ago, I did pocket carry this Kahr. Also, you can't test or account for all scenarios either. I would have to get six friends and have them all push into me until I could move or breath and see what happens.

As for left handed, not really. Occasional pocket carry as a BUG, which I want access to with my weak hand. Also, if I am forced to shoot one handed, I shoot better with my weak hand (partly due to my left eye dominance). Plus, I'm so accustomed to having my knife and keys in my right hand pocket.

Cell phone was in the other pocket. :tongueout: I agree that this should be the case whenever possible, and I only pocket carry as a last resort.

I disagree. I think pocket carry has a place. I dont do it often, but its a nice option to have.

Nothing wrong with pocket carry since it allows one to carry when other methods won't do. Not everyone wears the exact same clothes and does the exact same activities every single day of their lives. Having a variety of carry options is way better then not carrying at all.

I prefer IWB 99% of the time but use pocket carry when necessary. For bike riding I use a 5.11 holster shirt under my normal shirt with a snub nose. If I didn't have that, I wouldn't carry at all when riding the trails.

Exactly. I pocket carry maybe 3 times a year. There was no belt carry option for this particular scenario. It was pocket, or nothing. I chose pocket over nothing.

BuckyP
02-18-2012, 16:04

Heel release or maybe a Walther PPS with the paddle release.

Bodyarmorguy
02-18-2012, 16:28

And I am not saying that it doesn't have a place.....but I think it is a very special place and most often a last resort. Just my opinion, ymmv.

snowbird
02-19-2012, 17:26

Agreed.

HKLovingIT
02-20-2012, 11:27
Thought I might share an experience I had pocket carrying last night that made me go hmmm.

I was meeting an old friend (old band mate) at a "small venue" rock concert last night. I knew it was going to be HOT inside the place, so I wanted to travel light / pocket carry. My go to pocket gun is a SW 642, but for some reason I decided to blow the mothballs off my Kahr P9 Covert thinking the flatter profile (no cylinder bulge) might work better in a denim pants pocket.

So the place was super packed, as in massive fire code violation packed. We were packed like sardines the entire time. I even moved more to the rear (further from the stage) thinking that there'd be a little more room, no such luck. Anyway, I'm enjoying the band and I hook my thumb on my pockets and feel a mag where it shouldn't be. Yep, the mag ejected. I know it was seated when holstered. So push it back in, feel a positive click. About 15 minutes later, I do a check and it's out again.

When I got home I checked the gun and nothing seems to be problematic. The button is stiff and takes a some force to release with a fully loaded magazine. I also did a quick compare in the pocket between the Kahr and J frame, and really don't feel I gained much if anything.

BTW the Kahr was carried in a DeSantis Nemisis holster in my left hand pocket. Obviously, left pocket exposes a traditional mag button more.

Some takeaways I had:
1. Don't change something without testing / familiarizing yourself with it (even if it was a something familiar "years" ago)
2. If I were to begin using an auto with traditional pocket carry, I would look into trying a kydex style holster, which also protects the mag button.
3. Gives though to alternate style mag releases (HK / Walther paddle or heal releases) on a pocket gun.
4. Despite how much I enjoyed the band, I have much less tolerance of being "crowed" (putting it mildly) for 3 hours.

Anyway, today back to normal and a G30 on my hip. Life is good. :supergrin:

Thoughts / comments / criticism welcome. :wavey:

One of the great pluses of this style in my mind. Almost impossible to accidentally release the mag in the holster or bump the button against something.

rallenal
02-20-2012, 17:23
I'm not a lefty. And I generally don't pocket carry my PM9, but I virtually always have my P3AT in my right front pocket no matter what else I'm carrying. I do have an old Nemesis for my PM9.

The P3AT Nemesis doesn't push on the mag release. But the Nemesis for the PM9 did push on the magazine release. So I modified my Nemesis by recutting it and re-sewing it, so it more closely matches the profile of the P3AT Nemesis. This also allows for a smoother draw.

Like I said, my PM9 Nemesis is pretty old. I don't know if DeSantis has fixed this problem or not. But if they haven't, IMO they should. Never had a problem with the P3AT mag release and the few times I've pocket carried the PM9 I haven't had the problem with the modified holster.

Just checked. My newly purchased Nemesis does not push on the mag release of a PM9.

Sgt_Gold
02-23-2012, 19:20
Concealed carry is about commitment, not convenience or comfort.

WTF does any of this have to do with pocket carry? I carry a 340PD in a pocket holster when carrying on the belt is not an option. I didn't realize I'm not 'commited' enough, so I guess I should leave all the guns at home unless I follow your dress code?

CTfam
02-24-2012, 23:59
Relax dude. Pocket carry every day if you want. People are just pointing out the obvious flaws in that system.

valian
02-25-2012, 09:44
I have had similar experiences with a Ruger LCP in my left hand pocket as a BUG in a Nemesis holster. The UM pocket holster covers the mag release button better but does not stay in the pocket as well as the Nemesis.

I also had the same problems with a Ruger P95 many years ago carried OWB on right hip because of the ambidextrous safety and rather light pressure required to release the mag. On that gun i did reduce the height of the button and it took care of the problem.