"Drag them back in the house" [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : "Drag them back in the house"

Andy W
02-18-2012, 11:53
Mas, I was talking with some friends last night about guns and the topic shifted to home defense. During the conversation, one of them mentioned that if somebody breaks into your house and you shoot them, but they go down outside the house, you should drag them back in through the door. I immediately told him tampering with a crime scene makes you look a lot worse than you ever would have before. Besides, it's not like the police won't be able to tell if you do that. I think I also said that if you shoot them and they flee (or they flee before you have to shoot), it's best to let them go. You don't chase them down the street blasting at them. I also said if they collapse in the yard, leave them there.

Anyway, that's not the first time I've heard this little gem of advice "Drag them back into the house." At various times, I've heard it from friends, a couple of relatives, and even a teacher or two in high school. Someone even claimed to have had a cop say this to him. Obviously a lot of people believe this is what you are supposed to do. Where did this piece of horrible advice come from?

Mas Ayoob
02-18-2012, 17:22
To answer your final question, Andy --

It comes from people who haven't got a clue about the modern state of forensic evidence gathering and analysis, nor any clue about how harshly the criminal justice sysem will treat such stupidity when it is eventually -- and almost inevitably -- discovered.

Thanks for being a voice of reason,

Mas