Using a Taser on an armed person ?? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Using a Taser on an armed person ??

Noobb
02-18-2012, 17:47
If an individual has a pistol, would it be safe to taser him? Would the shock cause him to possibly squeeze the trigger? Does anyone know any LEO policies on this subject? Any input greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Landric
02-18-2012, 17:57
Really way to much of a "what if" question. The proper response to deadly force is deadly force, not a Taser. Shooting someone holding a firearm could cause them to pull the trigger also, but that doesn't mean it isn't the proper course of action.

Tasers are very effective, but they are not intended to be used against people presenting a deadly threat, though they can be pressed into service in the respect if better weapons are not available.

Bodyarmorguy
02-18-2012, 18:01
If an individual has a pistol, would it be safe to taser him? Would the shock cause him to possibly squeeze the trigger? Does anyone know any LEO policies on this subject? Any input greatly appreciated. Thanks.

It would be safer for him, that is for sure. I teach both firearms and taser at the academy and at the in-service level. If I bad guy is presenting a threat of force likely to result in death or great bodily harm to you, the proper protocol is to engage with deadly force.

Tasers keep me from having to punch or be punched....the bad guy presenting a taser, knife, club, gun, et al are all responded to with guns.

Edit: I keep going back and re-reading your post. Are you suggesting that he is threatening the Officer, or threatening himself? Suicide/polish hostage?

Landric......I love the signature

Wonder140
02-18-2012, 18:05
Really way to much of a "what if" question. The proper response to deadly force is deadly force, not a Taser. Shooting someone holding a firearm could cause them to pull the trigger also, but that doesn't mean it isn't the proper course of action.

Tasers are very effective, but they are not intended to be used against people presenting a deadly threat, though they can be pressed into service in the respect if better weapons are not available.

Not to mention taser misses, failures etc. Suspect holding a firearm notices a taser was just used ineffectively against him will likely use his firearm in response.

To rely on a taser when someone is ready to use deadly force is not the proper response. We have a use of force matrix that we go by at my agency and quite a few surrounding agency's use it as well. Deadly force threat equals deadly force response. I know I wouldn't be going for my taser if confronted with a firearm. No way.

collim1
02-18-2012, 18:09
Deadly force threat equals deadly force response. Period.

I have seen a taser fail more times than I have seen it work.

It certain scenarios, like a standoff with a suicidal subject, a taser attempt backed up by several officers with an immediate deadly force response is an option, but still a dangerous one.

The taser is a good tool, but once the fight is on it is a one shot, close range deal. It is not appropriate to use when an officers life is in danger.

Bruce M
02-18-2012, 18:35
Attempting to stop someone armed with a firearm by using a Taser would probably not be the first choice under most circumstances. My guess is that the vast majority of agency policies would allow and/or heavily suggest a different (higher) response. That said generally if less force than is allowed is used and the situation is favorably solved, that generally is not viewed as a problem. It is also one of the reasons veteran officers are often paid twice that of rookies.

Noobb
02-18-2012, 18:38
I know this is a far fetched "what if" scenario so I apologize. However, say an individual has a gun trained on you. You are unarmed except for your taser. If given a window of opportunity, would you taser the perp who has the gun pointed at you? My basic question is, will the shock cause him to squeeze the trigger? I know this would never likely be the case in a LE situation but what if? Or possibly, would you want the individual who is pointing a gun at you to be tasered by someone else who is intervening?

I am a CCW holder and fully understand using force against force but this is strictly a "what if" question. Thanks again for your replies!

Bruce M
02-18-2012, 18:43
In as much as I have seen people become incontinent from a Taser I suspect that it is possible that someone could pull the trigger especially if they already had started to increase pressure. My other guess though is that usually the reaction would be for muscles to relax rather than contract.

Glock Fanatic
02-18-2012, 21:23
Threat of Deadly force = Deadly force... As far as I know (and I could be wrong) almost ALL LEO Civ and Military use the FLETC Use Of Force model which is a 3 sided 5 tiered color coded model which shows the escalation and de-escalation of force and on each level they show the subject action, officer perception, and officer response for each tier... the use of force should be based upon objective reasonableness, and you SHOULD only use the least amount of force necessary to render your target incapable of continuing the act that caused you to use force. so again threat of deadly force or griveious bodily harm is responded with deadly force... The taser would be better used as a tool against a non-compliant active, non-armed individual.

Im not sure if FLETC still teaches the model but like I said its still widely used... keep in mind im not perfect and I dont know everything so I could be wrong, feel free to correct me If I am...

m2hmghb
02-18-2012, 21:37
From what I recall using a tazer on an armed suspect could result in him firing the weapon due to muscle spasms. NOT a good idea.

M2 Carbine
02-18-2012, 21:38
Using a Taser on an armed person ??
Sounds like a very bad idea. Right up there with taking a knife to a gun fight.

ijacek
02-18-2012, 21:40
It's called "Transition Drills" going from lesser force option to higher as dictated by the situation at hand!

ijacek
02-18-2012, 21:45
Using a Taser on an armed person!

Self defense according to a Liberal! Guns kill people! Tasers save lives!

Steve in PA
02-18-2012, 22:09
No LEO would ever go with a TASER when faced with a gun.

Noobb
02-19-2012, 14:03
I'm not sure you guys get it still, it's not about bringing a knife to a gunfight. Say the taser was your only weapon on hand. Would you use it on a guy who has his gun trained on you?

Are there any cases or studies which say this may cause him to pull the trigger?

Thanks again for the replies

tattedglock651
02-19-2012, 14:16
I'm not sure you guys get it still, it's not about bringing a knife to a gunfight. Say the taser was your only weapon on hand. Would you use it on a guy who has his gun trained on you?

Are there any cases or studies which say this may cause him to pull the trigger?

I get what your saying and you know what if all I had was taser and that taser meant I have a better chance to to take the person down you're dang right I'm using it its all I got !!! And it may also give you the chance to disarm the person and hold them until a LEO can get there.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Steve in PA
02-19-2012, 16:17

The effects from a TASER do not necessarily prevent a person from pulling a trigger. Where the probes hit will affect the NMI of the TASER.

So to answer your imaginary scenario, if the person has a handgun pointed at me, I am already behind the curve.

Glock Fanatic
02-19-2012, 17:02
just wondering why you would have a taser instead of a gun anyway?