Preppers Vehicle [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Preppers Vehicle

coleslaw
02-18-2012, 17:21
Is Jeep still the king of Bug out vehicles? I really like pickup trucks and will be looking to buy new. Because this will be my grocery getter too. I know all new vehicles need electricity to run, but I'm not worried about a EMP as much as I'm worried about having to drive over all kinds of terrain because of blocked roadways. I assume some kind of truck, Jeep or even a Subura would be the best vehicles to bug out in, I'm also open to any other suggestions.

Syclone538
02-18-2012, 17:34
I would say a wrangler is too small. I would also want more room inside then a regular cab pick up. I would go SUV, SUT, or extended cab short bed pick up.

I drive a regular cab S series, and it is SMALL inside. But a Syclone is very fun to drive.

Angry Fist
02-18-2012, 17:47
http://fp.images.autos.msn.com/Media/580x348/b1/b11b910ad552485bafb3daf851c30b0d.jpg

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/10-best-vehicles-for-the-end-of-the-world#1

Better sell both houses....

Dexters
02-18-2012, 18:25
Is Jeep still the king of Bug out vehicles? I really like pickup trucks and will be looking to buy new. Because this will be my grocery getter too. I know all new vehicles need electricity to run, but I'm not worried about a EMP as much as I'm worried about having to drive over all kinds of terrain because of blocked roadways. I assume some kind of truck, Jeep or even a Subura would be the best vehicles to bug out in, I'm also open to any other suggestions.

What makes any vehicles you mention a bug out vehicle?

You're not looking for anything unique if you're "worried about having to drive over all kinds of terrain because of blocked roadways." Get a 4x4 with high clearance.

Myke_Hart
02-18-2012, 19:11
My bug out vehicle.

http://www.besportier.com/joshherder/mongoose-deception-mountain-bike.jpg

I figure if emp hits this is the only thing that I can depend on. :supergrin:

cowboy1964
02-18-2012, 19:31
My bug out vehicle.

http://www.besportier.com/joshherder/mongoose-deception-mountain-bike.jpg

I figure if emp hits this is the only thing that I can depend on. :supergrin:

That should go IN your big BOV.

quake
02-18-2012, 21:42
Nothing wrong with a jeep, truck, whatever; as long as it's reliable. A good truck or jeep is as capable in one situation as another; bugging out in the snow would be a lot like going to Grandma's in the snow or going to the deer cabin in the snow. Same with mud, whatever - the vehicle doesn't know "why" you're going where you're going.

As I expect with a lot of folks here, my "BOV" is my everyday driver. Nothing exotic, just a 4wd 5.4L expedition with towing package & class-3 receiver hitch. I did add one of those 'hitch-haul' receiver carriers (they hold a surprising amount of gear when a trailer itself isn't called for), and an extended roof rack as well, but that's about it.
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f360/quake316/preps/Truck-edited.jpg

squirreld
02-18-2012, 21:49
I had an expedition.
Hated it!
Got it stuck 3 times.

I traded it in for an F150.

Javelin
02-18-2012, 21:56
<---- F150 Extended Cab Long Bed for me.

:wavey:

quake
02-18-2012, 22:48
I had an expedition.
Hated it!
Got it stuck 3 times.

I traded it in for an F150.

:dunno: Same vehicle, just different dressing on it, isn't it? Afaik, other than front bull bars, any other items that fit one fit the other...? Again strictly afaik, same engines, transmissions, etc; could be wrong, but I thought that was the case.

Mine does have the infamous "Triton slap" timing chain noise that most of the 5.4 Tritons seem to acquire, but it's just noise and been like that for years with no problems other than sounding a little bit like a diesel. I've been very happy with mine. Except gas mileage... :crying:

Fwiw, never got it stuck, but surely would have a few times if it weren't 4wd, and even with that, there've been some "iffy" moments. :whistling:

racerford
02-18-2012, 22:58
Excursion Diesel 4x4. Larger than the Suburban and Diesel. 44 Gallon fuel tank. your stuff is lee visible than in a PU truck. get the hitch carrier and put 4 or 5 5 gallon tanks on it covered by a tarp. Not perfect but not bad either.

Devans0
02-18-2012, 23:53
Old F350 diesel 4X4 crew cab long box tow pkg w/ 5th wheel hitch... The guy that originally bought this had it decked out with all the goods.

kirgi08
02-19-2012, 00:28
Got it covered.'08.

Deployment Solu
02-19-2012, 08:04
I have a older Suburban 2500. 4X4 w/ lift. Rebuilt trans and eng. It has an OBSCENE amount of cargo space and it is all inside nice and warm and dry. It can double as a sleeping area(sans some cargo). MY BOL is less than 100 mi from my home, so I think this will suit me well if the SHTF.

mac66
02-19-2012, 08:23
My BOV is a full size Ford van. Why? because It is already setup for weekend or week long camping trips when I am ATVing or camping, fishing, hunting etc. I can live in it and haul just about everything I need.

Week long ATV trip with my wife to Kentucky and WV. My 2 up ATV fits in the back and is out of sight when traveling. I also have small motorcycle (Honda Trail 90) and/or a bicycle I throw in the back if I am not ATVing. I've also done solo trips to Michigan's UP, Canada and out west in it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/mac66/100_8016.jpg

JackMac
02-19-2012, 08:36
F150, 4x4, quad cab, 5..4 Triton, 35 gal. tank works fine for me. Can't swim or fly, but it will go just about anywhere you like, if you use good judgment

vetmedglock30
02-19-2012, 10:23
The roads will be blocked by debris and by armed people. With out an APC you will be just a supply vehicle to whomever stops you. You may get past your first ambush. The next 100 will not be so easy.

UneasyRider
02-19-2012, 11:50
The roads will be blocked by debris and by armed people. With out an APC you will be just a supply vehicle to whomever stops you. You may get past your first ambush. The next 100 will not be so easy.

That's why you have to be the first one out of town... once people panic you will need the APC.

FH Alum
02-19-2012, 13:19
Dont discount a bike. Look at footage of an evac post hurricane. Roads are parking lots. A bike with a trailer like one used to haul kids can carry 100 lbs + of gear. Smart packing and a bit of fitness equals 50+ miles a day minimum. That is likely enough to get to safety off the beaten path. Folks out west go on extended camping trips for weeks off of bikes and can travel 100 miles in a day with saddle bags. Adding a trailer would allow much more cargo with less distance.

Ideal would be my rv but when fuel is limited and roads jammed having the flexibility of bike is hard to beat. Personally my biggest fear is an earthquake on west coast. When bridges fall and I-5 buckles cars will be ome useless. Quads and bikes will become best option.

kirgi08
02-19-2012, 15:08
Knowing when ta GOOD is the best thing you could do,practice the routes and have multiple egress plans.'08.

LASTRESORT20
02-19-2012, 15:34
http://image.automotive.com/f/tech/1008_4wd_little_guy_lil_rough_rider_teardrop_camper_trailer/33499083+soriginal/1008_4wd_01+little_guy_lil_rough_rider_teardrop_camper_trailer+jeep_wrangler_jk_rubicon_unlimited.jp g

JBL13
02-19-2012, 17:49
I have a regular-cab 4WD Tacoma with a locking hard tonneau cover. Not necessarily the best for a BOV, but it's capable off the beaten path (I've modified it for greater suspension travel and traction) and it gets reasonable mileage with the four-cylinder engine. It's just the wife and me, so at least there's room in the cab to "get everybody out of Dodge."

I think an important component of having an off-pavement-capable vehicle as a BOV is for the owner to have experience off-roading. I think a lot of folks who have capable vehicles would get in over their heads pretty quickly if they suddenly found themselves trying to negotiate various obstacles, whether in an urban environment or in the boonies. I've been four-wheeling for decades for fun (I'm headed to Moab, UT again soon), so I have a good feel for what my truck and I are capable of.

mac66
02-19-2012, 17:51

Ok, Mad Max. :rofl:

Javelin
02-19-2012, 20:50

Damn you got this figured out. Ok then. :supergrin:

malleable
02-19-2012, 21:38
I think an important component of having an off-pavement-capable vehicle as a BOV is for the owner to have experience off-roading. I think a lot of folks who have capable vehicles would get in over their heads pretty quickly if they suddenly found themselves trying to negotiate various obstacles, whether in an urban environment or in the boonies.

This post pretty much sums it up!

mdsn969
02-20-2012, 08:02
In the case of an EMP you will need that vehicle that has points and condenser, the electronics (ECM, electronic ignition, fuel injection, etc...) in most other many not survive... Alot of Bug Out Vehicles may be sitting in peoples driveways if the SHTF and people are relying on modern technology to G.O.O.D.

Quote:

Selecting a Bug-Out Vehicle
Author: Prepper

If a natural or man-made disaster hits, or some other SHTF event takes place, preppers may need an adequate “Get Outt’a Dodge Vehicle” (G.O.O.D. ….aka Bug-Out Vehicle). The opinions on what vehicles make the best G.O.O.D. vehicles vary greatly among preppers, but there are considerations we should all contemplate when narrowing our choices.

First, and foremost, can you afford the vehicle? That Hummer Alpha may kick butt and look like a tank, but if it will take you 3-4 years to save enough to buy one, what good does it do your family in the meantime? For someone whose finances don’t permit buying a special vehicle for bugging-out, making do with the vehicle they currently have may be their only option.

Another very important consideration is how many people you will need to provide transportation for in a G.O.O.D. situation. But remember, seating capacity is not the only consideration. You also have to consider the gear each person will bring along. It could range from luggage to last a few days to every possession they plan to keep for the rest of their days. Don’t forget pets in this consideration either. I personally have an affinity for early Broncos (pre-1978 ) and Jeep Wranglers. But neither has adequate size to moving my family to a safe location if the situation arose. Bigger vehicles are typically better for this purpose because they permit transporting more people and equipment. They also have other advantages that will be discussed later.

What about the age of the vehicle? While it might seem logical to prefer a newer vehicle, many recommend purchasing a pre-1980 vehicle. Why? EMP resistance. Electromagneticpulse (EMP) refers to a blast of electromagnetic energy that, when released, disables any electrical system in the blast radius. If you have read the recent bestseller, One Second After, you are familiar with the enormous threat posed by such a weapon and understand that the threat is not just science fiction anymore. Pre-1980 vehicles are considered to be less susceptible to the effects of an EMP because they do not rely on computers and modern electronics to function. Pre-1980 vehicles are also typically easier to repair than modern vehicles.

You also need to decide whether you will require a 4-wheel drive vehicle. A van or station wagon can make an excellent bug-out vehicle, but if there is any chance of traveling off-road or if you may face deep snow, mud, etc…, then a 44 will be necessary. Whether you need to cross a mountain trail or drive over a tree blocking the road, the off-road capability of a 44 is a huge advantage.

Fuel-type is another consideration. Most Americans prefer gasoline-powered-vehicles for their daily drivers, but diesel vehicles provide a decided advantage in the case of a long-term incident. Diesel fuel can be stored for years longer than gasoline and older diesel engines can run on home heating oil, if necessary. I personally have gasoline powered vehicles at this point, but am considering purchasing a diesel vehicle. I don’t think it will be my primary bug-out vehicle, though. Again, this comes down to personal preferences and situations.

Another consideration is the size and weight of the vehicle. Heavier vehicles will suffer when it comes to gas-mileage, but have numerous other advantages. They provide much better protection, if colliding with a deer, tree or other vehicle. They also usually have the advantage in terms of cargo room and passenger seating.

So what are the best bug-out vehicles? Opinions vary, of course. I personally prefer large sport utility vehicles (SUV’s) such as a late 70’s Ford Bronco, Chevy Blazer or Jeep Wagoneer. If you need more room, a pre-1980 Suburban would be a great choice. All of these vehicles would preferably have 4-wheel drive, and are readily available. They are built on heavy truck frames and are designed to withstand a lot of abuse, even from underneath the vehicle. Many modern SUV’s in America’s suburbs built on car frames and don’t have the strength found in real trucks. Also remember that they do not need to look shiny and new. But you will want them to be reliable, so be sure they are in good running order with good tires, well maintained drive-trains, and have frames that are free of cracks.

Here is the linky:

Prepper Vehicle (http://teotwawki.ws/?p=146)

kirgi08
02-20-2012, 08:22
:mememe:

FAS1
02-20-2012, 08:46
I really like the Ford Raptor if I was buying new. Very capable 4x4 stock. Of course this one has a few nice upgrades.

http://addictivedesertdesigns.com/wp-content/gallery/add-chase-rack-lite/dsc01899-copy.jpg

Bilbo Bagins
02-20-2012, 09:34
I don't think there is a perfect BOV.

On the one hand I want something that has 4X4 or AWD, with lots of cargo room, that has a lot of towing and "pushing" power with a heavy bumper and brush guard. A full sized Pickup or SUV is great for that.

On the other hand you may get into a situation that you need something that runs quiet, is fuel effecient, can drive down tight roads, is nimble and fast to get away from something, and is easy to hide. Most full sized Pickup or SUV suck at that.

Angry Fist
02-20-2012, 09:51
I really like the Ford Raptor if I was buying new. Very capable 4x4 stock. Of course this one has a few nice upgrades.

http://addictivedesertdesigns.com/wp-content/gallery/add-chase-rack-lite/dsc01899-copy.jpg
Kick ass!

kirgi08
02-20-2012, 10:28
Settle down Beavis.KISS.'08.

pugman
02-20-2012, 18:05
As I expect with a lot of folks here, my "BOV" is my everyday driver.

Don't think my everyday car is going to fit the bill

2000 Mazda Protege 282,000 miles on the clock...:supergrin::supergrin:

But hey, I still get 40 with it.

DoctaGlockta
02-20-2012, 18:54
http://youtu.be/cDoRmT0iRic

:whistling:

Haldor
02-20-2012, 21:27
Diesel VW Thing.

http://chrisoncars.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/1974-vw-thing-green.jpg

Easy on fuel.
You will be able to find usable fuel years later (strain it through a T-Shirt first).
Simple, light, easy to repair.
Floats.
Body was meant for bashing around.
Unrestricted 360 degree fields of fire.

mdsn969
02-20-2012, 22:51
Diesel VW Thing.

http://chrisoncars.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/1974-vw-thing-green.jpg

Easy on fuel.
You will be able to find usable fuel years later (strain it through a T-Shirt first).
Simple, light, easy to repair.
Floats.
Body was meant for bashing around.
Unrestricted 360 degree fields of fire.

:yourock:

Ryan-17
02-20-2012, 22:55
http://youtu.be/cdormt0iric

:whistling:

awesome!!!!!!

M1a65
02-21-2012, 03:18
My BOV minus some expanded metal BBQ grating across the exposed glass. 85 Dodge Ramcharger

mixflip
04-10-2012, 18:02
I was just thinking about this question the other day. If an EMP blast took out everything while I was ay work... how will I get home? I work downtown but I live 20 miles at the edge of the civilization (which I really like btw).

I started thinking I would simply start humping down the road. I used to do 18 mile force marches back in the day. I'd just have to sweat a little more. I already carry a B.O.B. in my car and a fire arm 7 days a week.

Then I started to think... there is an old mountain bike at work in a back room nobody cares about. I could just take that!

Then I started thinking about when I got home. We would bug in as long as possible with our friends and family and neighbors but if the place goes up in flames (or what ever other reason) we will have to leave.

We cant currently afford a diesel H1 or even another pre-80's vehicle at the moment since we already have 2 working cars and we are on a budget. Then I thought, maybe I can afford to buy the family 2 good mountain bikes and 2 trailers. My wife can carry the little ones and I can carry the gear.

We are in decent shape, (not fat lol) and the bikes will never need gas and can squeeze around obstacles on the road. Heck we could even take them apart and lift them over major barricades.

Yeah they are slow and vulnerable but if the goal is to get out of dodge faster than walking and on a budget... bikes are starting to make alot of sense.

Heck I could even buy a trike and build it with a small motor. I could keep the motor in a faraday cage and assemble it as needed. (a week or even months after the blast)

How about this as a pre 1980's EMP resistant bug out vehicle?
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i182/mixflip/1937VWvw-30ChassiswithFloorPanBW.jpg

gimmejr
04-10-2012, 21:01
But hey, I still get 40 with it.

In the end, mpg might be the most important thing when getting to your destination.

Angry Fist
04-10-2012, 21:29
http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/zz13/MO_FUGGAZ/Truck.jpg

Bolster
04-10-2012, 21:33
Diesel VW Thing.

I drove a Thing in college days. (Not diesel, tho.) Was by far the most dangerous car I ever drove. I had so many close calls in that vehicle I'd not wish one on my worst enemy.

You want to know WHY? That car commanded zero respect. People would turn in front of me, cut me off, pull out in front of me CONSTANTLY. It's like stepping into a boxing ring wearing a bra and a clown nose. Driving it was like saying, "Please abuse me." Not enough acceleration to get out of any sort of trouble, and pretty lousy breaks once you got into trouble.

Switched to a Jetta and the problems vanished. I know, I know, a Jetta is not a 'respectable' car but it's at least a normal car, and people treated it like any other car.

I don't have any experience with the new "Smart" cars, but I'll bet they're dangerous for the same reason.

M1A Shooter
04-10-2012, 22:24
i am currently trying to acquire my idea for a perfect, or nearly so, BOV. im looking to get a m1009 cucv blazer at a surplus auction. i plan to swap it over to a manual transmission and upgrade to surplus 1 ton axles as well. finally, i will be lifting and trimming fenders as little as i can to fit some 36" MT tires on the steel military beadlocks and runflats.

homebuilt steel winch bumbers and rocker guards to make it go through objects a bit better and some expanded grid steel to block up some of the cargo area and keep peolpe from smashing the rear windows.

bdcochran
04-10-2012, 22:52
Ok. Time to look in the mirror.

1. do you drive around on near empty? Most people do.

2. do you really have a place to go as contrasted to simply moving yourself out of harm's way? Most people don't.

3. do you think that you are going to use your bugout vehicle a week after diesel fuel and/or gasoline are no longer being delivered to your area. Most pe
ople don't think that far ahead.

4. do you think that with the modern marvels or radio, television and the internet that you are going to be ahead of the herd leaving your location? If so, then when was the last time you actually bugged out.

TangoFoxtrot
04-11-2012, 04:34
My BOV is a 1999 Jeep cherokee with a full tank of fuel at all times and 4 -5 gal cans as back up. It sits most of the time and is used only once a week to keep the fluids and seals good. The chances are I will not bug out but have this vehicle ready as an option if I decide to.

mixflip
04-11-2012, 08:47
Ok. Time to look in the mirror.

1. do you drive around on near empty? Most people do.
I fill up at the half empty point. Been doing that for over 4 years now. I used to be those who drove till E in the past though lol.

2. do you really have a place to go as contrasted to simply moving yourself out of harm's way? Most people don't. Camping on lake meade is about it really. lake meade is HUGE. I dont own property if thats what you are asking?

3. do you think that you are going to use your bugout vehicle a week after diesel fuel and/or gasoline are no longer being delivered to your area. Most pe
ople don't think that far ahead.
Well I have thought about this. Since every town and city is supplied by diesel trucks and diesel trains there will probably be a large amount of abandoned diesel vehicles on the highways. Many of which should have fuel if its an EMP SHTF event?

4. do you think that with the modern marvels or radio, television and the internet that you are going to be ahead of the herd leaving your location? If so, then when was the last time you actually bugged out? I fortunately live at the very edge of town. I can literally walk out my door and cross the street into the desert and mountains beyond. Im that far out there. 20 miles from downtown to be exact. So yes. I could be ahead of the heard. I have bugged in before during hurricanes (in Hawaii) but never actually bugged out in an emergency.

Plan A is to bug in. If the house gets molotov cocktailed by rioters... Im bugging out regardless if I have a place to go to or not.

quake
04-11-2012, 08:53
...I don't have any experience with the new "Smart" cars, but I'll bet they're dangerous for the same reason.
I wasn't watching where I was walking in the walmart parking lot the other day, and bumped into something. Looked down, there was a tipped-over "Smart ForTwo" laying at my feet. :embarassed:

Kidding aside, "ForTwo Tipping" is catching on evidently:
http://www.wired.com/autopia/2009/07/smart-tossing/

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/07/27/smart-tipping-amsterdam-villains-reportedly-pushing-fortwos-int/

SGT HATRED
04-11-2012, 09:03
I just saw the episode with the M35 duce and a half(doomsday preppers). Having a vehicle that runs on multiple fuels is very interesting.

The M35A2 is popularly powered by a LDT 465 engine, made by either*Continental Motors Company
,*Hercules
, or*White Motor Company
. It is an in-line, 478-cubic-inch (7.8 L), 6 cylinder,turbocharged
*multifuel
*engine developing 134*bhp (100*kW) and 330 pound force-feet (447*Nm) oftorque
. This is coupled with a 5-speed manual transmission and divorced 2-speed transfer case (either a*sprag
-operated transfer case*Rockwell
*136-21 or air-operated selectable transfer case Rockwell 136-27). Multifuel engines are designed to operate reliably on a wide variety of fuels, to include diesel fuel, jet fuel, kerosene, heating oil or gasoline. Gasoline should only be used in an emergency because it does not properly lubricate the injector pump. While using gasoline, common practice calls for the addition of at least 1 U.S. quart of clean motor oil per 15 U.S. gallons of gasoline (1*imp*qt/13*imp*gal; 1 L/60 L) for proper pump lubrication where available

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q37/Merlin-X/4022539415_19340da1d5_z.jpg

kirgi08
04-11-2012, 09:25
:drool:

wjv
04-11-2012, 10:29
Subaru Outback with the CVT seems like a good choice.

AWD & good MPG

Bolster
04-11-2012, 14:17
I just saw the episode with the M35 duce and a half(doomsday preppers). Having a vehicle that runs on multiple fuels is very interesting.

MPG? Or GPM?

BORNGEARHEAD
04-11-2012, 16:43
Purpose built. Lifted, Shrock bumpers, skid plates, mtr tires, winch, filled jerry cans, lock cutters, side cutters.

"Where we're going, we don't need roads!" :)

RedHaze
04-11-2012, 17:21
http://chevy.4x4offroads.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/4x4-Chevy-Suburban.jpg
Not my exact rig. But I jumped on the deal when we found it. '87 Suburban, new crate motor with ~50k miles on it, rebuilt trans with ~50k on it, practically new everything under the hood. No leaks, squeaks, rattles or rubs. Have a good friend who is a master mechanic, works at a BMW dealership, come check it out with me. Said he'd easily pay two or three times what the fella was asking for it.

Room for my family of five, plus gear, plus room to spare.

I stole the thing for $800. Hello B.O.V. :wavey:

pugman
04-12-2012, 04:36
http://chevy.4x4offroads.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/4x4-Chevy-Suburban.jpg
Not my exact rig. But I jumped on the deal when we found it. '87 Suburban, new crate motor with ~50k miles on it, rebuilt trans with ~50k on it, practically new everything under the hood. No leaks, squeaks, rattles or rubs. Have a good friend who is a master mechanic, works at a BMW dealership, come check it out with me. Said he'd easily pay two or three times what the fella was asking for it.

Room for my family of five, plus gear, plus room to spare.

If you got this for $800....you should have gone to Vegas that day...

Lucky as h***

JackMac
04-12-2012, 18:37
F-150 super crew 4x4; have a 1945 Willys jeep that has been restored; and a 1972 Fiat restored. The old vehicles should not be impacted by EMP like new stuff and the little Fiat gets good mpg.

sebecman
04-12-2012, 18:46

800?!?!?!??!

jesus that was a good buy!

sebecman
04-12-2012, 18:47
800...:wow:

ImpeachObama
04-12-2012, 20:27
Was 'sup.

http://img607.imageshack.us/img607/1890/img6701copy.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/607/img6701copy.jpg/)

FerFAL
04-14-2012, 23:05
I don't think there is a perfect BOV.

On the one hand I want something that has 4X4 or AWD, with lots of cargo room, that has a lot of towing and "pushing" power with a heavy bumper and brush guard. A full sized Pickup or SUV is great for that.

On the other hand you may get into a situation that you need something that runs quiet, is fuel effecient, can drive down tight roads, is nimble and fast to get away from something, and is easy to hide. Most full sized Pickup or SUV suck at that.

Im of the idea that waht you have and use on daily basis is what you will have when there's problems.
Super giant 4x4? Sure, but I cant afford the gas for that as a daily driver.
For me its about compromsie and finding an in between point.
I ended up with a Honda CRV. Its 4WD when needed and can get me out of most inconveniences on the road, acceptable ground clearence to go up the sidewalk with no problem.
Gas millage is ok, 20MPG on town, 23 MPG on the road give or take.
This is related to two crucial parts to be considered.
1)How much money on gas does your vehicle spend?
2)Say you have to bug out, for far will you be able to go with the gas yo have stored?
The thing lasts forever, very resistant to wear and tear unlike some monster 4x4s that need constat repair. Parts and repairs are cheap too.
It's not huge but there's enough space, still small enough to navigate and sweeze its way through places where say a Defender (a vehicle I considered as well) would not go through.
Honda CRV or Toyota Rav4, those are good choices in my opinion.

Angry Fist
04-14-2012, 23:08
Was 'sup.

http://img607.imageshack.us/img607/1890/img6701copy.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/607/img6701copy.jpg/)
What's the output on that rig? Cool.

ImpeachObama
04-15-2012, 18:00
30 amps max. I actually got it up to 24 amps today, running a battery charger at 40 amp output and my frig/freezer keeping a turkey frozen.

FireForged
04-15-2012, 19:20
My bug out vehicle