Lemon Gun Stories [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Lemon Gun Stories

Nib-XG26
02-18-2012, 20:21
I bought a Stevens model 320 shotgun and its a POS, I shot 30 rounds through it it jammed about 25. It jammed on the eject cycle and inject cycle. Stevens/Savage will be getting it back. But it got me thinking how often does a lemon get bought? I have owned close to 100 guns in my life and been very fortunate this is my first real lemon (besides a .22lr on occasion).

So anyone have any stories? I would love to hear them!

Tony Rumore
02-18-2012, 20:45
AMT Hardballer Longslide, circa 1981. Complete POS.
Out of the box, it would not chamber or eject a single round.
I had to poke the round into the chamber, close the slide, fire it, then pull the slide back and manually dump the empty out. Eventually, the barrel burst. The lug tore a section out of the barrel.

That's the short version of the story.

AA#5
02-18-2012, 20:54
A Remington 597 (22 rifle). After the first 10 rounds were OK, it started failing to feed and eject. Then, rounds would get stuck halfway down the magazine. Then, it got kinda fun when it started full-auto - 4 rounds with one trigger pull & the RO got a little pissed.

A buddy also bought one at the same time. His wouldn't fire a 10-rd. mag without malfunctioning.

After two factory "fixes" with nothing fixed, we both made Remington give us full refunds.

AA#5
02-18-2012, 20:56
I had to poke the round into the chamber, close the slide, fire it, then pull the slide back and manually dump the empty out. Eventually, the barrel burst. The lug tore a section out of the barrel.

:supergrin: I think the one in "Terminator" also jammed when Arnold was shooting the wrong Saaaaara Connor. Something fell off the gun on the last shot.

When I was in retail firearms, the AMT Back Up 380 was also a lemon. Most of them came back for repair.

Nib-XG26
02-18-2012, 21:03
A Remington 597 (22 rifle). After the first 10 rounds were OK, it started failing to feed and eject. Then, rounds would get stuck halfway down the magazine. Then, it got kinda fun when it started full-auto - 4 rounds with one trigger pull & the RO got a little pissed.

A buddy also bought one at the same time. His wouldn't fire a 10-rd. mag without malfunctioning.

After two factory "fixes" with nothing fixed, we both made Remington give us full refunds.

It makes it a little better when there is a good manufacturer to back the gun, but it still sucks when you spend hard earned cash on a gun and its junk!

The Habit
02-18-2012, 21:06
A stainless Taurus PT1911. That thing was a turd. ILS (in the hammer) broke after 80 rounds. I replaced the hammer with a Nowlin Pro only to have the ambi safeties start falling out shortly thereafter. It was the only gun I've ever had rust in a humidity controlled safe. No other gun has ever had even a speck of rust. The MIM parts on the Taurus started rusting with the quickness. It was not terribly accurate either.

I sold it a gun show and have never been so glad to see a gun go.

Nib-XG26
02-18-2012, 21:06

:wow: that's way worse then my POS did you get some kind of reimbursement?

Nib-XG26
02-18-2012, 21:09
A stainless Taurus PT1911. That thing was a turd. ILS (in the hammer) broke after 80 rounds. I replaced the hammer with a Nowlin Pro only to have the ambi safeties start falling out shortly thereafter. It was the only gun I've ever had rust in a humidity controlled safe. No other gun has ever had even a speck of rust. The MIM parts on the Taurus started rusting with the quickness. It was not terribly accurate either.

I sold it a gun show and have never been so glad to see a gun go.

I have heard a few horror stories about the Taurus 1911 and most of them were about the safety

DJ Niner
02-18-2012, 21:19
I got caught-up in two consecutive S&W recalls in the 80s (model 469 9mm, and 586 .357).

Made myself a promise to not buy any new gun designs/redesigns or new calibers until they had been on the market for at least 5 years (basically, let other folks be the Beta testers). Working well so far, but I broke the promise this year for the first time in 2+ decades. Waiting for the shoe to drop...

D3S3RT_P3NGU1N
02-18-2012, 21:20
Worst I've had was a Walther P22, I couldn't run a mag through that gun without a problem. Even with the recommended high velocity ammo it just refused to work

Road Dog
02-18-2012, 22:05
Winchester 94 trapper in 30-30. After visiting three gunsmiths it still won't work right. Its frustrating because it will out shoot my full size 94s but it won't cycle cartridges.

DJ Niner
02-18-2012, 22:26
Winchester 94 trapper in 30-30. After visiting three gunsmiths it still won't work right. Its frustrating because it will out shoot my full size 94s but it won't cycle cartridges.That would drive me crazy as well. :steamed:

Hope you get it worked out, eventually.

bac1023
02-19-2012, 06:32
Had an early Para Warthog. It would not cycle a full mag without an issue.

jmathis84
02-19-2012, 06:37
My first handgun I bought. I can't even remeber who made it. All I know is that it was a Hungarian paratrooper militray pistol. Bought it and a box of ammo. Went home and shot it and the dag gum guide rode broke. Called the shop I bought it from and he said they didnt make parts for the gun no longer. He did however buy the gun back from me at cost.

Reb 56
02-19-2012, 08:23
Only weapon I ever owned that gave me any trouble was a KT-P3AT 2nd gen. Wouldn't get thru 1 mag with out a failure to feed.

Bruce M
02-19-2012, 08:32
I had an AMT backup 45 that I never could get to work right. And it had a trigger pull of about 68 pounds.

bac1023
02-19-2012, 08:40
I had an AMT backup 45 that I never could get to work right. And it had a trigger pull of about 68 pounds.

Yeah, those things were notoriously bad.

3000fps
02-19-2012, 08:49
I really think the majority of firearms that have problems are attributed to user error in one form or the other. Improper cleaning, grip, ammunition etc.

I can't really say I've had a problem before. I think that some firearms have inherently worse designs than others that make them less reliable.

The PF9 and LCP don't seem to be as reliable as a larger pocket pistol like the G26.

Out of 3 M&P's I have purchased, they have each ran FLAWLESSLY out of the box with ANY ammunition. I absolutely love them.

Bruce M
02-19-2012, 08:57
Yeah, those things were notoriously bad.
Sigh no internet back then. The only thing I could judge it on was a AMT .380 that functioned fine on FMJ.

collim1
02-19-2012, 09:05
My first was a Gen 2 Keltec p3at. It was a total POS. It FTE and then double fed once per magazine. It also stovepiped and cracked the magazines at the front from the feed ramp hitting the mag. It went back to KT and returned a few weeks later with a hand written note saying it was test fired with Rem UMC FMJ and it cycled perfectly. I tried it with that ammo and it still jammed.

I traded it to a local shop after telling them it had issues. They gave me $100 credit for it towards the purchase of a Smith and Wesson 442 and haven't looked back.

My second was a Remington 870 Express 12g. I bought it with the 28" vent rib barrel and picked up a 18" Remington HD barrel. The shell latch would not release a shell from the magazine about 1 in 4 times the action was cycled. The HD barrel would stick shells in the chamber so bad that the extractor would rip through the rim of the shell leaving the hull in the chamber.

I called Remington and they told me the problem was I was using crappy ammo. I told them I was using Remington shotshells. Turns out Remington does not service their own weapons. They gave me the address to a gunshop in B'ham, AL and told me to ship it there for service. 4 months later I got it back with a note saying the shell latches were replaced and the chamber of the barrel was polished.

The shells released from the magazine now, but still stuck in the chamber. I immediately sent the barrel back to the same gunshop and gave them a phone call. About a month later I got a new barrel in the mail. They replaced the Express barrel with a 870P barrel and the gun worked, but I had no confidence in it.

I traded it in for a 870P with a wood stock. I kept the 28" vent rib barrel to use for hunting.

Buying a lemon sucks, but if you buy and trade enough it will eventually happen.

Cambo
02-19-2012, 10:39
My worst:
1. Taurus 94 .22lr Revolver - cylinder would bind up, effectively jamming it.

2. Olympic Arms K9GL Carbine - every type of malfunction in the book despite 4 trips to the gunsmith and 1 back to Olympic Arms. A client was shooting it and it almost blew up on him. I sold it to a gunstore who said they would fix it and resell it. It sold and then was back on their shelves 2weeks later.

3. Mossberg 500 Home Security .410 Shotgun - would not work with .410 handgun rounds(although it should have) and then would not work with regular .410 shotgun loads(pump action would seize up).

4 glocks
02-19-2012, 10:43
The only guns I had issues with were el cheapo pocket guns from the early 1980's. One was a Jennings 22lr I got new for $49 and a excam .25 bought used for $20. I sold or traded them both off. I told myself only buy quality name brand stuff and pass on the cheap crap that was good advice.

Roy D. Mercer
02-19-2012, 10:49
Not 1 but 2 separate Gen3.5 G30sf's that wouldnt stop ejecting brass into my head. Real stinkers those were.

AA#5
02-19-2012, 10:54
It makes it a little better when there is a good manufacturer to back the gun, but it still sucks when you spend hard earned cash on a gun and its junk!

Sure does. That $99.00 sale price was what made them so tempting to us. They had really nice fiberglass stocks which were probably worth almost the cost of the whole rifle.

Haldor
02-19-2012, 10:57

At least is saved you a gym membership.

I bought an AMT backup 380 for my wife about 20 years ago. Never got as far as the trigger pull, she couldn't pull the slide back. Small blowback pistols are not fun guns to shoot especially for anyone who doesn't have significant grip strength.

Haldor
02-19-2012, 10:59
Not 1 but 2 separate Gen3.5 G30sf's that wouldnt stop ejecting brass into my head. Real stinkers those were.

That is totally grip related. Hold onto the grip firmly and it won't dump brass on top of your head. I found this out when I was trying to make my G26 jam from limp wristing (I was concerned about weak hand shooting reliability). No jams, but I was really glad I was wearing a hat.

Haldor
02-19-2012, 11:05
The only guns I had issues with were el cheapo pocket guns from the early 1980's. One was a Jennings 22lr I got new for $49

I have that same Jennings. Idiots at Jennings put the wrong spring in the magazine catch (kept dropping the magazine while firing). I replaced the spring with one out of a ball point pen and now it works fine. Amazingly it has been totally reliable for me ever since. I keep expecting it to puke on me, but it keeps working.

Haldor
02-19-2012, 11:12
My all-time POS is a Charter Arms AR7. I bought it for a car gun and it was ok when I first bought it. However weird self inflicted stuff just keeps happening to it. After a month or so the front site decided not to stay in the dovetail. I sent it back and this is the factory repair I got back. Now that is some fine craftsmanship there.

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh168/HaldorPhil/Guns/IMG_1487.jpg

Next the front of the magazine well fell off (while it was stored inside the stock). This is kinda important because with this piece is what prevents the magazine from moving forward during firing. If this happens operation is just a bit impared. The receiver is made of cast zinc, so there is no practical way to repair it (super glue and epoxy were useless). The gun can be fired, you just have hold the magazine in place.

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh168/HaldorPhil/Guns/IMG_1489.jpg

After that happened I just tossed it in the back of the gun safe. A few years ago I noticed that there is some kind of evil chemical reaction going on inside the stock. It is bubbling up like there is something hot in there, I have no idea what is really going on in there and to be honest I don't really want to know. It is hard to photograph, but here is one of the bumps in profile.

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh168/HaldorPhil/Guns/IMG_1488.jpg

Glockaround the Clock
02-19-2012, 11:33
Colt Python I bought around 1978 or 79 . Nickle plated 6 inch bbl. Beatiful gun but you could only put 3 rounds in the cylinder - the others were rough. Triied to get it fixed but Colt was on strike.

4 glocks
02-19-2012, 11:37
I have that same Jennings. Idiots at Jennings put the wrong spring in the magazine catch (kept dropping the magazine while firing). I replaced the spring with one out of a ball point pen and now it works fine. Amazingly it has been totally reliable for me ever since. I keep expecting it to puke on me, but it keeps working.

I traded my Jennings 22lr to a friend (he knew it was cheap)
but liked it, or maybe liked the size .About 20 years later I asked him what happened to it. He said it just stopped working after about 10 years I did not get any details. What can you expect from a $49 gun.

NEOH212
02-19-2012, 11:49
Taurus.

Enough said.

Brucev
02-19-2012, 12:15
Bought a very early S&W M-59 that would only reliably feed FMJ ammo. It had issues feeding JHP ammo. I swapped it for a WWII era 03-A3 rifle. Cool. I had a gorgeous looking .22LR COLT Trooper revolver that would routinely fail to fire at least once on a cylinder full of ammo, regardless of the ammo used. I swapped it for a S&W 17-2. That was a very good deal for me. Excellent revolver. Very way cool. I've had good results with all the other firearms I've owned.

bunk22
02-19-2012, 12:33
A Glock 36 for me, had multiple FTF's every 50 rounds. I had a half a dozen people shoot it, including the local so called "Glock" expert at the range. Everyone had the same issue. Got rid of it, life is to short to deal with a defective weapon.

Vance665
02-19-2012, 13:57
2. Olympic Arms K9GL Carbine - every type of malfunction in the book despite 4 trips to the gunsmith and 1 back to Olympic Arms. A client was shooting it and it almost blew up on him. I sold it to a gunstore who said they would fix it and resell it. It sold and then was back on their shelves 2weeks later.

How does a gun almost blow up?

Haldor
02-19-2012, 18:18

Perhaps it went all Yosemite Sam on him.

http://www.insidesocal.com/tomhoffarth/yosemite_sam_stressed.jpg

glock2740
02-19-2012, 18:24
Dan Wesson stainless 4" .357 Magnum. :puking:

rv4driver
02-19-2012, 18:24
Smith 22S. Back to Smith and still Crap with a capitol C.
More recently, Kimber...yes Kimber, Solo 9 Carry. It's presently back at Kimber for the second time. First time was for two months, who knows how long this time. I LOVE the size of it for concealed carry 9mm, but hey, it has to work, right?

Conversely, my Smith 3913NL and Walther PPS, and my Beretta 90-Two have been absolutely flawless. And apparently my wife got lucky with her 870 Express. Flawless.

bustedknee
02-19-2012, 18:48
I bought a Stevens model 320 shotgun and its a POS, I shot 30 rounds through it it jammed about 25. It jammed on the eject cycle and inject cycle. Stevens/Savage will be getting it back. But it got me thinking how often does a lemon get bought? I have owned close to 100 guns in my life and been very fortunate this is my first real lemon (besides a .22lr on occasion).

It sounds like your injectors are gummed up.

Go to the nearest auto supply and ask for some "injector cleaner".
There once was a product, I think it was called, "Gum Out" that worked really well.

If it works on your injectors it will also work on your ejectors.
Just pour a little down the barrel then run it hard.

:laughabove:

Cambo
02-19-2012, 18:49

A jammed shell casing lodged in the barrel. This thing would put jammed, misshapen shell casings anywhere inside the chamber/receiver, etc. When the shell casing didn't pop out, I told him to put the gun down immediately.

Nib-XG26
02-19-2012, 19:35
It sounds like your injectors are gummed up.

Go to the nearest auto supply and ask for some "injector cleaner".
There once was a product, I think it was called, "Gum Out" that worked really well.

If it works on your injectors it will also work on your ejectors.
Just pour a little down the barrel then run it hard.

:laughabove:

Thanks for the reply but the gun is brand new and before shooting it I cleaned it thoroughly, its just a lemon I guess.
I have old Coast to Coast cheap 12gauges that work flawlessly so its just a chance you take.

Nib-XG26
02-19-2012, 19:37
Thanks for all of the responses, I guess this goes to show any gun can have problems from time to time.

G19freak
02-19-2012, 20:08
I almost bought one of those AMT .45's years ago had the pawn shop not misrepresented it in their ad.

They had an ad in the Sunday paper like 20 years ago advertising it as new---when I go there to buy it they hand me this old beat up POS---sorry but I'll pass.

Good thing I did in hindsight.

NEOH212
02-19-2012, 22:58
I got to thinking, it would be amusing if Taurus came out with a gun and called it the lemon.

I don't think it would sell as no one would realize that the Lemon was actually a new model.

:whistling:

mgs
02-20-2012, 10:53
Springfield 1911 4" Champion...only fed Ball with Ball mags even after a full gunsmith enema. I bought it used and traded it on a G23 after trying 6 different loads. It worked with Ball period. The only 1911 I still have is a series 70 Gold Cup but looking for a Stainless 1911 next, Mike.

southernshooter
02-20-2012, 17:01
Only had one in all my years. A Remington 7400 synthetic in 30-06 I got from Wal Mart (not that it matters where it came from) Thought this would be a great rifle, short, compact and powerful. Sucker would jam and jam. Tried plastic magazine, another metal magazine, cleaned and cleaned the chamber. To no avail. Traded it for a Browning Safari in 30-06. 15 years later it has yet to jam a single time.

Oaklane
02-20-2012, 17:10
Springfield Champion GI and a Colt Talo New Agent

Nib-XG26
02-20-2012, 20:16
I got to thinking, it would be amusing if Taurus came out with a gun and called it the lemon.

I don't think it would sell as no one would realize that the Lemon was actually a new model.

:whistling:

:rofl::rofl: At least you would expect it then!!

Nib-XG26
02-20-2012, 20:21
Only had one in all my years. A Remington 7400 synthetic in 30-06 I got from Wal Mart (not that it matters where it came from) Thought this would be a great rifle, short, compact and powerful. Sucker would jam and jam. Tried plastic magazine, another metal magazine, cleaned and cleaned the chamber. To no avail. Traded it for a Browning Safari in 30-06. 15 years later it has yet to jam a single time.

Reading this made me remember a couple more guns I have owned that were "junk". 2 Remington model 742 30-06's just were horrible would fire fine one day and the next couldn't get through the whole magazine. BUT I do own a Remington 742 in 6mm that is perfect!

NEOH212
02-20-2012, 21:40
:rofl::rofl: At least you would expect it then!!

Yea, watch it be the best one yet and actually work!

(I won't hold my breath though as I'll turn blue and hell will freeze over before Taurus ever makes a quality product.)

:supergrin:

dbarhsi
02-21-2012, 12:06
Kel-Tec P3AT... X 2... :upeyes:

Spiffums
02-21-2012, 13:18
The only "bad" gun I ever had was a Glock 17. This was back in 1991. No one could hit the side of a barn with that thing. I traded it back in on something else and avoided Glocks till 1999 when I decided to give them another shot. I got my 34 then and it is the best gun I have ever owned.

hogship
02-21-2012, 18:18
http://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL431/781008/8977842/363497597.jpg

I don't think this Iver Johnson target sealed "8" ever had a cylinder full that didn't have a misfire.......

ooc

NDGlock
02-22-2012, 12:58
I got caught-up in two consecutive S&W recalls in the 80s (model 469 9mm, and 586 .357).

Made myself a promise to not buy any new gun designs/redesigns or new calibers until they had been on the market for at least 5 years (basically, let other folks be the Beta testers). Working well so far, but I broke the promise this year for the first time in 2+ decades. Waiting for the shoe to drop...

Intrigued now....what did you get if you don't mind me asking?

donovan655
02-22-2012, 17:16

Totally unexpected lemons:

HK USP 9MM: Not exactly a jammomatic, but enough extraction problems to royally piss me off for a $750 + handgun.

Stoeger Cougar: Terrible ejection problems no matter what I did or ammo I used. This kept me from PX4s for along time...

ca survivor
02-22-2012, 18:02
Ruger LCP.

Nib-XG26
02-22-2012, 18:07
Totally unexpected lemons:

HK USP 9MM: Not exactly a jammomatic, but enough extraction problems to royally piss me off for a $750 + handgun.

Just goes to show any gun can have problems, they are just machines and machines do fail on occasion. It just hurts more the more you pay!:whistling:

Nib-XG26
02-22-2012, 18:09
Ruger LCP.

Never good when a dedicated carry weapon fails
I had the same gun with some issues needless to say its now gone:steamed:

DJ Niner
02-23-2012, 00:20
Intrigued now....what did you get if you don't mind me asking?The model 469 9mm recall was for a problem with the safety lever and half-cock notch potentially leaving the hammer in an unsafe position after a partial manual cocking or partial DA trigger pull.

The model 586 .357 recall was the hammer-nose and/or hammer-nose bushing (surrounds the little hole where the hammer-nose (firing pin) passes through the frame and strikes the primer). If the bushing sunk below the level of the surrounding frame, primers could back-out slightly on firing, binding the cylinder (really tight).

The first and forth recalls shown on the page linked below:

http://firearmsid.com/Recalls/FA_Recalls%205.htm

ijacek
02-23-2012, 07:46
NAA Guardian 380 - fail to go into battery, FTE, sold it, repplaced it with Sig P238, never looked back.

In 2003 I had a Kimber TLE II SS with an external extractor - 'nough said! I trade it for HK USP Tactical .45, that one experiance kind of destroyed my interest in Kimbers

byf43
02-23-2012, 07:57
Two pistols. Both S&W.

• S&W mdl 39-2. POS. Couldn't get it to feed a full magazine at all.
My Dad had a co-worker that wanted it badly.
Told him the issue. He didn't care.
Gone!!

• S&W mdl 5906. Early, early 3rd Gen. pistol. (Nice looking pistol!)
Slide mounted safety a female dog to operate!
Flakes of metal and what looked like stainless steel 'sand' or 'powder' coming off of the frame/slide.
No matter what lube or grease I used, it still galled.
Sent it back to S&W.
"No problem found."
Grip panel recall. S&W shipped arched and flat grip panels at my request.
Pistol still galling itself to pieces.
Sent back to S&W.
Came back, "No problem found."

Was later determined that the slide and gripframe were the same hardness stainless steel. (That's why the galling.)
Guy at my sportsman's club wanted it. Told him of the issue. He didn't care! Sold! Gone!!

cliffb
02-23-2012, 10:56
What comes to mind is:

-AMT Hardballer. Bought it in the late 70s. It never did run right.

-Early S&W M25 in .45 Colt. Would not stabilize any bullet I tried to put through it. Keyholed targets every time.

-PTR 91. Jam-o-matic. Never did get a full mag to run through it.

There may be more but these were the real stinkers.

Bugler
02-23-2012, 20:20
Owned many handguns over the years. Only one I ever had problems with was a Kimber Pro Carry II I bought brand new. Right out of the box it would fail to go into battery every few rounds. I shoot a lot and knew it wasn't me. Finally convinced the gunsmith at the store I bought it at to try it. They have a nice automated range that I have a membership to. He had same problem. Found some sloppy craftsmanship inside and had to do some deburring. Problem solved but even after 500-600 rounds still had frequent FTF about every 20 shots or so. Others shooting it had same problem. Gave up and traded in on a New Glock 21sf and couldn't be happier. More accurate, 100 percent reliable, holds 13+1 round, easier to clean, shoots anything I feed it and I much prefer the lower bore axis. Already well over 1000 rounds through it with 0 hiccups... Just like my 19 and 26

phoenixg23
02-10-2013, 13:08

I have the Stevens/Savage Model 320 with the combination pistol gip full stock set-up. So far it has been a decent firearm for the money expended. The only complaint I have would be it came with the brass bead at the tip for the sight, the ghost ring sight models were out of stock. I worked around that by using glow nail polish and white out on the top of the stock (the whole stirp where the plastic has ridges) then treated the brass bead. A quick hit with the flashlight and it looks like something from Battle Star Galactica.
I use this weapon for home-defense only. Have put regular 00 buck, slugs and also run magnum rounds, no issue (over 400 rounds).
Sorry to read your Model 320 was a lemon my friend.

jakebrake
02-10-2013, 13:18
colt 1991 a1. pure paperweight.

this thing was so wildly inaccurate, that NO ONE could hit with it. me, friends, random strangers at the range, no one. only thing we could could come up with was it was built on a fri afternoon, or mon morning.

i so mistrusted this toad, that i sold it rather than waste any more time or money on it.

FelixD
02-10-2013, 13:49
I've owned a lot of guns over the last 50 years, shot a lot of guns, and have broken a lot of gun. But, the worst beyond a doubt is the Kel Tec PF9. Bought it 5 years ago and it started taking a dive at about 350 rds. Here's the list, 2 cracked slides, 2 broken assembly pins, broken slide stop and broken slide stop spring, 5 replaced magazine springs - twice. Failures to fire, feed, and eject too frequently to count. I am now on my third replacement gun. I have asked for my money back three times now and the company just keeps sending me guns. I don't know who has spent more on this, Kel Tec or me? BTW, if you shoot a lot, keep a list of the things that break. I started 30 years ago. It gets interesting over the years.

ilgunguygt
02-10-2013, 14:54
That is totally grip related. Hold onto the grip firmly and it won't dump brass on top of your head. I found this out when I was trying to make my G26 jam from limp wristing (I was concerned about weak hand shooting reliability). No jams, but I was really glad I was wearing a hat.
Its interesting, you didnt shoot his gun, never even held it in your hand, werent there when he shot it, yet you know for a fact its a grip issue? I guess all the gen4s with that problem are grip issue too?
A jammed shell casing lodged in the barrel. This thing would put jammed, misshapen shell casings anywhere inside the chamber/receiver, etc. When the shell casing didn't pop out, I told him to put the gun down immediately.

How exactly does that equate to "almost blew up?" You cant "almost blow up." You do or you dont. Thats like saying you "almost have cancer.":dunno:

Texas357
02-11-2013, 02:55
Surplus Sig P6. 50 rounds in, it fires out of battery, almost loses the back of a case, and makes me thankful I always wear shooting glasses.

Sig treated it as if under warranty though, and replaced the breech block. Works flawless after that, so I guess it doesn't really count as a lemon.

AZson
02-11-2013, 19:25
I bought a Taurus PT140 and what a pile of poop it was. The second time I used it to compete it promptly blew it's firing pin cover off and the FP spring was just hanging out.
It cost me $25 to send it back to them and it took me a month to get it back.
I sent a note requesting why it did what it did and all I got back was letter stating "clean it and use factory ammo", which I was using Winchester white box when it blew. I sold it and bought my first Glock, there was no way I would trust my life with it.
I sold it to a brother who said it did id again a few years later.
I will never buy another Turaus auto pistol, them and their service is crap.

p01ic3m4n
02-11-2013, 20:15
I bought a gen 2 G19 around 1997. I was going to run 200 rounds through it before I carried it as a duty gun. It wouldn't feed a full magazine without jamming on 50% of them. I took a little bit of a loss and traded it for a Beretta. Didn't they have some sort of recall on those for magazine issues? Never had a gun that was as bad as that one.

Nib-XG26
02-11-2013, 20:25
Update I was the op. I have my second pos the new Zip .22lr it will not run more then 3 rounds without jamming. With 25 round Ruger mags it jams 100% of the time I have never actully despised a firearm until now. I was actually bleeding from cycling the gun so many times to clear jams. Im sending it back to USFA hopefully they can fix it. If not I will have a cool paper weight.

blackbmw
02-12-2013, 03:17
The list........

1. Smith 5906. Most inaccurate firearm I have EVER shot. No clue what was wrong.

2. Ruger LCP. Cracked the frame. Guess I shot it too much.

3. That stupid PF9. 27rds and the firing pin fell out. How special.

Thats my list of crapness. I was so upset about that 5906 cause it was such a pretty gun and I couldnt hit a 74 buick deuce and a quarter at 30 feet with it.....so I sold it to my cousin. He cant shoot anyways so he wont know the difference:whistling:

pgg00
02-12-2013, 04:20
Taurus 709 slim. The mag won't stay in. All it takes is a bump against the gun and of it comes.

Colt 6920. Machine marks inside and outside of it. Chamber was a mess also it was a single shot for the 1st 500 rounds or so. Fire a round. Put a rod in the barrel to knock the case out then load another round and repeat. Colt told me then that there was nothing wrong with it and it was normal.

J.R. Bob Dobbs
02-12-2013, 06:55
Kimber eclipse x2
Taurus 44mag

plp
02-12-2013, 11:44
At least is saved you a gym membership.

I bought an AMT backup 380 for my wife about 20 years ago. Never got as far as the trigger pull, she couldn't pull the slide back. Small blowback pistols are not fun guns to shoot especially for anyone who doesn't have significant grip strength.

Just sold an AMT Backup .380 this weekend for a profit of 3 dollars over what I originally paid for it two months ago.

It took a LOT of polishing to get the slide chatter to stop, but then ran like a dream as long as you a) use only round nose FMJ and b) keep your ring finger off the magazine butt. It would nosedive the next round every time if you touched the butt.

I really got to like it, and probably put 400 rounds through it at the range. It does have a bit of a kick to it compared to my Colt Government Model Mark IV, and the wife couldn't shoot it at all.

The Colt just does everything better, and the wife can handle it just fine. I got another Ruger 89 rather than another .380, ammo is just getting too expensive and hard to find to justify another in that caliber.

aircarver
02-12-2013, 11:54
S&W original 39.

Had the usual beautiful S&W fit and finish.

Ran reliably.

Threw a pattern like a shotgun (even from a rest) :shocked:

Lost badly in a shoot-off against a 'chief's' snubby.

Was gone the next week ....:wow:

Friend told me they at first tried to save money by rifling the barrels with revolver tooling and it resulted in bad barrels. Was corrected in subsequent guns, but that one was a beautiful lemon !

Batesmotel
02-12-2013, 12:04
I had a Grendel .380. The one that loaded from the top. (P-10 I think)The hammer spring broke on the third magazine. Sent it back at my cost. They fixed it for "free" but gouged me about $30.00 in "handling" fees to send it back.

While they had it they replaced the extractor and/or ejector to the new upgraded one. It failed to extract or eject on every shot after that. The dealer I bought it from had an in-house smith who fixed it but I never trusted it.

The other was a Taurus 92 that was chewing it's self apart. If you looked at it from the top, the slide was rotating counter clockwise and shaving the frame away. Their customer service told me that's what I get for buying a cheep copy instead of an original Beretta 92.

Booker
02-12-2013, 12:30
1. AR7 Went full-auto after the first two shots!

2. S&W M&P9c Was my first single shot semi-auto. Factory fixed it, but didn't trust it!

3. Charter Arms Bulldog. The internals must be stamped out of Coke Cans. You could rotate the cylinder by hand when in full lock-up.

4. Taurus 44 Special. Factory bored 3 cylinders for 44, not sure about the other two, but a 44 wouldn't fit!

Jason D
02-12-2013, 16:55

I bought one of the first LSS on the market back when they came out. Total piece of crap. My Dad bought the cheapest version they made around the same time I got my rifle and his has been nothing but reliable.

garya1961
02-12-2013, 17:40
I hate these gun bashing treads. I have a lot of these guns and they work fine. I believe a lot of these failures are owner induced such as limp wristing with Kel Tecs, and failure to clean and or reassemble correctly as in the Remington 597. I know the 597 had mag problem when they first came out but Remington fixed the problem and would send you a free mag if yours didn't work. Also if you tighten the rods/rails too tight in a 597 it won't run you have to leave them a little loose.
I'm not a 1911 guy but another thing that gets to me is people will buy a relatively cheap Rock Island 1911(I have nothing against Rock Island) then spend more money on upgrades than they paid for the gun to start with but swear it was a good gun. Then if someone buys a Taurus 1911 with forged frame and slide and all the upgrades already installed and one simple part breaks they swear it is a total piece of crap. I know parts shouldn't break and none has on mine but wouldn't it be better to upgrade a gun with a forged frame and slide. It seems to me high end 1911s have a lot of problems too.

ilgunguygt
02-12-2013, 18:44
I hate these gun bashing treads. I have a lot of these guns and they work fine. I believe a lot of these failures are owner induced such as limp wristing with Kel Tecs, and failure to clean and or reassemble correctly as in the Remington 597. I know the 597 had mag problem when they first came out but Remington fixed the problem and would send you a free mag if yours didn't work. Also if you tighten the rods/rails too tight in a 597 it won't run you have to leave them a little loose.
I'm not a 1911 guy but another thing that gets to me is people will buy a relatively cheap Rock Island 1911(I have nothing against Rock Island) then spend more money on upgrades than they paid for the gun to start with but swear it was a good gun. Then if someone buys a Taurus 1911 with forged frame and slide and all the upgrades already installed and one simple part breaks they swear it is a total piece of crap. I know parts shouldn't break and none has on mine but wouldn't it be better to upgrade a gun with a forged frame and slide. It seems to me high end 1911s have a lot of problems too.
:rofl: no sense in putting too much effort into commenting on this post. The logic and time would be wasted.

garya1961
02-12-2013, 19:33
:rofl: no sense in putting too much effort into commenting on this post. The logic and time would be wasted.

You already commented but it was just a smart arse remark.

ilgunguygt
02-12-2013, 19:40
You already commented but it was just a smart arse remark.
Thats about all a dumb ass statement deserves.

garya1961
02-12-2013, 19:44
Thats about all a dumb ass statement deserves.

'Explain or shut up.
Ok after reading some of your old post I see you are a 1911 guy. I said to start with I am not a 1911 guy. I don't have anything against them just never owned but one. I wasn't claiming to be an expert on 1911s , I was just asking why basically.
I see that we do have a lot in common though. I am a dog person and I was a Chevy mechanic for the last five years but unemployed right now.
If I'm so wrong please educate me because that's why I'm here, to learn more about guns.

ilgunguygt
02-12-2013, 21:24
'Explain or shut up.
Ok after reading some of your old post I see you are a 1911 guy. I said to start with I am not a 1911 guy. I don't have anything against them just never owned but one. I wasn't claiming to be an expert on 1911s , I was just asking why basically.
I see that we do have a lot in common though. I am a dog person and I was a Chevy mechanic for the last five years but unemployed right now.
If I'm so wrong please educate me because that's why I'm here, to learn more about guns.
I'm not a 1911 guy, actually. I am a gun guy. I like 1911s, but i own more polymer handguns than I do 1911s.

As to why someone would put money into a RIA and say a taurus isnt worth it? Because there is a lot more to the quality of a 1911 than the type of manufacting involved in he slide and frame. There are many top notch guns with cast frames. There is so much more at play than that its not even funny. Feed ramp angle, machining quality, barrel quality, throating, etc. Look up VIS for example. The fact that the frame is forged in a miniscule item when compared to the things that make a 1911 junk or not.

Thats not why I commented about your post though. It was the thought that:

I believe a lot of these failures are owner induced such as limp wristing with Kel Tecs, and failure to clean and or reassemble correctly as in the Remington 597

Thats an asinine statement made out of owner pride. I own guns that are known to have had problems. While mine dont exhibit it I will surely not by insisting that people are ignorant and dont know how to hold the firearm or dont know how to clean it because it SIMPLY CANNOT BE THE GUN, because I own one of them and mine is fine. Thats plain silly.

Gills63
02-12-2013, 22:26
There is nothing wrong with threads like this. Its not meant to be gun review thread. Most people with a brain realize that lemons get shipped by every factory. Quality errors happen, it doesn't mean that make or model is necessarily crap it just means that particular gun was. When it becomes a wide spread problem then start looking at design, materials, and manufacturing process.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

ilgunguygt
02-12-2013, 22:37
There is nothing wrong with threads like this. Its not meant to be gun review thread. Most people with a brain realize that lemons get shipped by every factory. Quality errors happen, it doesn't mean that make or model is necessarily crap it just means that particular gun was. When it becomes a wide spread problem then start looking at design, materials, and manufacturing process.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Except for the people that cant handle that thier chosen brand could ever put out a lemon.:rofl:

gordo993
02-13-2013, 09:58
Diamondback DB380.
x2

The first one was a basket case. Went back to the factory 3 times and still a jam-o-matic. Dumped it off at a guns show.

The second one was much later in the production run - after they had re-designed many key components. It went back once and then ran fine, but no confidence.

Sold it and bought a Sig 238. Love it!

pat701
02-13-2013, 10:00
You should expect/get a NIB firearm that runs right, no matter what brand it is.:steamed:

series1811
02-13-2013, 10:01
Ruger standard model .22 auto handgun I bought in college. Couldn't get it to shoot an entire magazine of .22 rounds, no matter what brand. Finally sold it.

garya1961
02-13-2013, 11:58
I'm not a 1911 guy, actually. I am a gun guy. I like 1911s, but i own more polymer handguns than I do 1911s.

As to why someone would put money into a RIA and say a taurus isnt worth it? Because there is a lot more to the quality of a 1911 than the type of manufacting involved in he slide and frame. There are many top notch guns with cast frames. There is so much more at play than that its not even funny. Feed ramp angle, machining quality, barrel quality, throating, etc. Look up VIS for example. The fact that the frame is forged in a miniscule item when compared to the things that make a 1911 junk or not.

Thats not why I commented about your post though. It was the thought that:

Thats an asinine statement made out of owner pride. I own guns that are known to have had problems. While mine dont exhibit it I will surely not by insisting that people are ignorant and dont know how to hold the firearm or dont know how to clean it because it SIMPLY CANNOT BE THE GUN, because I own one of them and mine is fine. Thats plain silly.

If you read what I wrote I said I believe "a lot of the problems" were caused by the owners not "all the problems" were caused by the owners. I never said it "CANNOT BE THE GUN" It is a fact that a lot of people have a tendency to limpwrist when shooting a small light weight gun even people who have been shooting for years. I have done it a few times myself when I first got a PF9.
Also a lot of people buy guns they know nothing about and decide to upgrade them or do a $.25 trigger job and behold the gun doesn't work, so it must be a piece of junk. The Remington 597 is a good example of this, people take them apart without knowing what they are doing and over tighten the rails when re-assembling it. It will not run if you tighten the rails too tight.

Quote-. There are many top notch guns with cast frames.

I have nothing against cast parts but a lot of these top notch guns have problems too but they "just need breaking in"
I know it doesn't fit this tread but people on here love to bash guns they never owned. They read it on the internet so it must be true
Usually when a gun bashing tread starts half the guns in my safe are mentioned but the ones I have seem to work fine. My PT1911, Kel Tecs, Ruger Mini 30, Mosins, Remington 597,WASR 10, and even my early model Universal M1 carbine have all worked great.
I have had a lot of guns in my life and seldon found a real lemon. Yes, some had a problem that needed fixing but so does everything else in life.
If you are an auto mechanic then you know things slip through sometimes that doesn't mean the rest of the cars are junk or even the car with the problem is junk.

ilgunguygt
02-13-2013, 13:17
If you read what I wrote I said I believe "a lot of the problems" were caused by the owners not "all the problems" were caused by the owners. I never said it "CANNOT BE THE GUN" It is a fact that a lot of people have a tendency to limpwrist when shooting a small light weight gun even people who have been shooting for years. I have done it a few times myself when I first got a PF9.
Also a lot of people buy guns they know nothing about and decide to upgrade them or do a $.25 trigger job and behold the gun doesn't work, so it must be a piece of junk. The Remington 597 is a good example of this, people take them apart without knowing what they are doing and over tighten the rails when re-assembling it. It will not run if you tighten the rails too tight.

Quote-. There are many top notch guns with cast frames.

I have nothing against cast parts but a lot of these top notch guns have problems too but they "just need breaking in"
I know it doesn't fit this tread but people on here love to bash guns they never owned. They read it on the internet so it must be true
Usually when a gun bashing tread starts half the guns in my safe are mentioned but the ones I have seem to work fine. My PT1911, Kel Tecs, Ruger Mini 30, Mosins, Remington 597,WASR 10, and even my early model Universal M1 carbine have all worked great.
I have had a lot of guns in my life and seldon found a real lemon. Yes, some had a problem that needed fixing but so does everything else in life.
If you are an auto mechanic then you know things slip through sometimes that doesn't mean the rest of the cars are junk or even the car with the problem is junk.
About the only time I see someone say that "all the guns" of a particular make are junk is with taurus. It also seems that you have brought up your pt1911 a few times now.

of course all manufacturers make a lemon, thats the purpose in this thread, DUH! The fact that most taurus owners cant accept the fact that they make WAY more lemons than anyone else is comical. It seems the more you post about this the more that direction this is going.

Its pretty plain that your feelings are hurt over it. They shouldnt be. I know one guy that has a PT1911 that has seen some serious abuse an an IDPA gun. He beats the hell out of it and it runs like a champ. Thats one guy. I know at least three other people(including myself would make four) that had the worst experience in the world with a pt1911 and would never contemplate owning another one. Absolute junk.

Old School
02-13-2013, 15:04
1. Browning abolt .22. It wouldn't feed rounds from the magazine with any consistency. Traded for a cz452, a real bolt action .22

2. Marlin 1897 .22. Action was rough, difficult to cycle. I sent it back to the factory and they polished a few parts. Problem persisted. I sent it to a recommended cowboy action smith and he said the lever mortise was not in the right spot. I still have that and I'm debating what to do next.

3. Rem 11-87. I bought it as i thought it was an improved 1100. I was wrong. Fail to feed every 5-10 rounds. Traded for a Benelli, a real semi auto shotgun

4. Ruger mini 14. If you blatantly rip off the Garand, it should be accurate after 1 mag...and you should have designed it to use AR mags. Still have the old boat anchor (thanks Walter Ga, where ever you are).

garya1961
02-13-2013, 15:23
Quote "About the only time I see someone say that "all the guns" of a particular make are junk is with taurus."
Another I read it on the internet stories.
I base my my reviews on real life expierence not what I read on the net. It's always the problem gun that shows up on here not the 999 other guns that were flawless.
I'm not a big fan of the 1911 but my PT1911 has been a great gun.
Quote" Its pretty plain that your feelings are hurt over it"
I have enough "real" problems in my life so the crap on here doesn't bother me. It's just a way to amuse myself.

ilgunguygt
02-13-2013, 15:38
Quote "About the only time I see someone say that "all the guns" of a particular make are junk is with taurus."
Another I read it on the internet stories.
I base my my reviews on real life expierence not what I read on the net. It's always the problem gun that shows up on here not the 999 other guns that were flawless.
I'm not a big fan of the 1911 but my PT1911 has been a great gun.
Quote" Its pretty plain that your feelings are hurt over it"
I have enough "real" problems in my life so the crap on here doesn't bother me. It's just a way to amuse myself.
So I guess that means that my experiences are "read it on the internet" and arent "real life expierence" like yours? :rofl: There you go, right back to your "it cant be true because I dont want it to be" thought process.

I have owned four taurus firearms, and after the fourth one felt like a real dumb ass for being taken four times by the same company.

johnstein11
02-14-2013, 08:58
Diamondback DB380.
x2

The first one was a basket case. Went back to the factory 3 times and still a jam-o-matic. Dumped it off at a guns show.

The second one was much later in the production run - after they had re-designed many key components. It went back once and then ran fine, but no confidence.

Sold it and bought a Sig 238. Love it!

Diamondback DB9, what a POS. Trigger broke after 1 mag, and it jammed every other round with quality factory ammo!

aircarver
02-14-2013, 09:36
Member of my club had a S&W Mdl. 41 that wouldn't run reliably.

He found it doubly frustrating 'cuz I also had one that never missed a beat.

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o135/aircarver/SW_M41_99805-2.jpg

We tried his with my (known working) magazines ... no go.
We eyeballed it against mine ... couldn't find anything.

It made three trips back to S&W ... no go ... :shocked:

Apparently some individual examples of a reliable design are just lemons... :frown:

garya1961
02-14-2013, 11:30
Quote- So I guess that means that my experiences are "read it on the internet" and arent "real life expierence" like yours?
Quote- About the only time I see someone say that "all the guns" of a particular make are junk is with taurus.

ilgunguygt
02-14-2013, 12:58
Quote- So I guess that means that my experiences are "read it on the internet" and arent "real life expierence" like yours?
Quote- About the only time I see someone say that "all the guns" of a particular make are junk is with taurus.
What does that men? People say that because they do make a lot of junk. My FOUR were proof of that. We need that internet butt hurt form for you.:rofl:

mr00jimbo
02-14-2013, 13:01
When I first got my Buckmark it was quite unreliable. Lots of light strikes and one round that got stuck in the chamber and had to be dislodged. Still get the occasional light strikes.
My Ruger 10/22 sets off all the rounds I have ever put through it and is insanely reliable (though it is modified, few factory parts remaining), and I share ammo through both guns, so...

In the Buckmark's defense, the gun is so accurate it's just ridiculous.

raydobbs
02-14-2013, 14:25
My nightmare gun was a DPMS/Panther Arms AR15. Using the supplied CA approved 3 round magazine, it worked. Using any other magazines, it would manage about three rounds before it 1> Failed to feed a new cartridge 2> Failed to extract/eject the spent brass 3> Short cycle causing the cartridge to get jammed in the action, bending the cartridge horribly or 4>Some combination of all the above. I tried polishing the feed ramps, changing the magazines (even borrowed a M16 mag from a Class III guy at the range who had never seen an AR15 fsck up so bad, same effect). Range owner tried it - he couldn't get it to work even WITH the CA 3 round mag, only hand feeding the rounds into the breach one at a time without a mag present worked. Eventually sound it at an inner city gun store with an inherited Ruger revolver for cash to make a house payment. Am very glad to see that rifle go... though the capital loss was painful.

Spiffums
02-14-2013, 14:30
My 1st Glock was a Lemon. No one could hit anything with it. This was back in 1991. I traded it for a 1911 at the gun store.

Dubble-Tapper
02-14-2013, 16:16
I've had two.

1.) HK USP .45 tactical. Failed to feed and eject at least once every other mag. I was happy to have it fire a mag full without failing. Beautiful gun, accurate, but mine was a turd. My current USP .40 has been flawless.

2.) S&W M&P .40. I liked the feel of the thing, it was fairly accurate, good ergos, but it had the infamous mag drop issue of the early ones. It pissed me off. Even after smith sending me a couple mag catches, it still did it, so I sold it.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

I'M Glockamolie
02-14-2013, 20:13
Kimber BP Ten II polymer double-stack 1911 purchased new. Couldn't get through a magazine without a failure of some kind using factory 230gr ball of various brands. I wanted to like it, but it never ran right. I never sent it back to Kimber. I traded it on...something, but I don't remember what now.