Need advice from the lady carriers [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Need advice from the lady carriers

jmathis84
02-19-2012, 06:45
What was yall's deciding factor to start carrying a firearm? My fiance has as intrest in firearms and is a very adequate shot. I just can't seem to get her to take the next step to apply for her permit. In advance I appreciate any advice you all have towards my dilemma.

ithaca_deerslayer
02-19-2012, 20:54
My wife got more involved because of the social aspect. While I'm a loner who would never step off my land if I didn't have to, she likes people for some reason.

So maybe if you could find a gun club with active women shooters, that could help. Also look for NRA "women on target" events.

Seems so many guys want to get their gf/wives shooting and carrying, and are frustrated that she doesn't want to do it. One problem is if the guy is trying to teach his gf/wife. Too much relationship stuff in the way. I promise you that your fiance would prefer getting a lesson from me than from you. And she might prefer getting a lesson from my wife than from me, or at least prefer that my wife is there to ask questions of.

So if you can find a friendly club or group of women shooters, and somehow get your fiance introduced to them, then perhaps she'll get more interested.

Note that this not the same as finding a club where the women make the coffee or just help out in the kitchen :)

NEOH212
02-21-2012, 00:34
First off, It's my right under the constitution to be armed. That is reason enough in itself.

Putting that aside, I'm not much over 5" tall and weigh 130 pounds. I work out and I'm rather strong for my size and for a women. Even so, I would be seriously deluding myself to think I could wrestle with a 6" tall 250 pound man intent on having his way with me.

With my Sig 229 .40, I'm stronger than any man. Also, I'm a truck mechanic by trade and lead technician for the company I work for. I often lock up at the end of the night and go on many service calls after hours alone. You can bet your butt that I'm packing.

Furthermore, with the way this world is today and it being full of crazies, anyone that goes unarmed is a darned fool in my opinion. Each person is responsible for their own personal safety and shouldn't rely on anyone else (including the police) to protect them.

A person, weather a man or women going legally armed is the responsible and prudent thing to do.

:wavey:

Mrs. Tink
02-21-2012, 15:48
I agree with NEOH212. For me specifically, it was when people started getting shot at Denver light rail stations. I used to use the light rail to go downtown at night. I had already taken the basic pistol class and only needed to pony up the cash to get my permit.

Add that to the fact that I live a stone's throw from Castle Rock, the place where the Supreme Court decided that their police (and by extension all other police) have no obligation to protect you.

Have you asked her why she doesn't seem interested? It took me about 18 months to get going on mine. The shootings were the catalyst.

jmathis84
02-22-2012, 02:30
I have asked heron a couple of occasions. She never really gives me a straight answer. She has an intrest in firearms and shoots with me alot. She is a very good shot. She already had a good foundation when I met her. Her Dad is a former LEO and a very avid shooter. I think she is just too comfortable living in a small town and not worried abou it to be honest. Not much happens around here. She wants her GWL but just is not in a hurry to get it if ya know what I'm sayin.

nelson1234
02-26-2012, 09:11
I have asked heron a couple of occasions. She never really gives me a straight answer. She has an intrest in firearms and shoots with me alot. She is a very good shot. She already had a good foundation when I met her. Her Dad is a former LEO and a very avid shooter. I think she is just too comfortable living in a small town and not worried abou it to be honest. Not much happens around here. She wants her GWL but just is not in a hurry to get it if ya know what I'm sayin.

That's great

Pimp gun
02-26-2012, 09:24
As posted above leave your wife alone and let someone else help her as I see so much overgunning and false info to keep her interested. Don't start her out with a 45 and she isn't going to enjoy shooting at a far target , keep it close so she can hit what she shooting at and move it out as she gets better.
Some things are better left to others when working with your wife and a 22 will get her started and smiling when she can hit a close target. You didn't learn overnight and she has to make up her mind if she really wants to carry.

ZO6Vettever
02-27-2012, 07:06
I got my "Concealed Carry Permit" back in 1974. Wife was neither pro or con. About 3 years ago, outta the clear blue sky she said, "I think I'll learn to shoot and get a CCW". Two weeks later, NRA course completed, new high cap 9mm and permit in hand. I couldn't have been prouder. After many rounds down range she is always armed with her G26/12 round mag, and DeSantis IWB. After 44 years married I know you, can't push a woman to do anything. She goes shooting with you and seeing all the women at the range and eyeing up weapons at the counter should get her interest. My wife also attended the NRA course where they had a female instructer. That may have been less intimidating. She'll tell you when she is ready.

jmathis84
02-27-2012, 17:29
She loves to shoot and goes with me everytime I go. I have never tried to teach her because she has a good form already. My thing is trying to get her to carry. She has mentioned she wanted too but never goes any father than those words. As far as caliber she is comfortable shooting a Glock 19.Glock 22 and her dads 1911. She is profiencent with all three and is not recoil shy. I just want to get her carrying because she often doesn't get off work until later in the evening. I would feel better if she had a firearm when going to and from our vechile after dark.

ithaca_deerslayer
02-28-2012, 13:34
She loves to shoot and goes with me everytime I go. I have never tried to teach her because she has a good form already. My thing is trying to get her to carry. She has mentioned she wanted too but never goes any father than those words. As far as caliber she is comfortable shooting a Glock 19.Glock 22 and her dads 1911. She is profiencent with all three and is not recoil shy. I just want to get her carrying because she often doesn't get off work until later in the evening. I would feel better if she had a firearm when going to and from our vechile after dark.

You can lead a horse to water, but ...

As an old husband, I'll tell you that you can't make a wife do anything. (Not sure if wives realize they can't make their husbands do anything).

I still think your best chance is to have her around other women who shoot. They will all have their reasons for carrying, and that peer pressure may have the positive effect you are looking for.

Unfortunately, a close scare might also change her unarmed ways. But hopefully she stays lucky and free of such scary situations.

:)

Mrs.Cicero
02-29-2012, 19:54
I found that I disliked being helpless.

You can't make anyone be smart. Sometimes you just have to hope that when their ignorance, apathy and/or naivete slaps them upside the head, it just doesn't kill them dead on the spot, and they live long enough to learn from the experience.

Mrs.Cicero

MrsUzi4U
02-29-2012, 21:30
I got my CCP because with the guns my husband brings on outings, I thought if I was handling them for any reason, I wanted to make sure I was legal. Plus, it just seemed wise to make sure that I gained the knowledge about legal carry for my state, they require a class. It gave me the confidence to carry when I wanted to.

Northern Gal
03-07-2012, 08:37
I got my permit to carry simply because I didn't want to have to worry about whether I was carrying legal or not when I went to the range. Then I realized how much safer I felt when I had my guns with me and decided it was stupid not to carry all the time. Now I wouldn't dream of not carrying.

LiebeGlock
03-07-2012, 20:59
What was yall's deciding factor to start carrying a firearm? My fiance has as intrest in firearms and is a very adequate shot. I just can't seem to get her to take the next step to apply for her permit. In advance I appreciate any advice you all have towards my dilemma.

It can be tough getting through to her. The main things that got me to carry EVERYDAY and ALL the time. Were a few things:

Number one thing is that I know my gun inside and out. That's why I LOVE Glocks! I don't carry a round in the chamber, but would feel safe in doing so because I know how the gun functions, etc.

The other thing is the world needs more people like me! :) And if you keep letting the bad guys win and don't stand up for yourself, the world will become more full of bad guys and the good guys (or good girls would seize to exist)

Also, get it into her head to EXPECT the unexpected. Show her articles about how woman have had to defend themselves (like the lady who just shot an intruder who was going to attack her while showering, etc.)

And most importantly.... drill into her head how completely lost you would be without her and she has your heart and it's her DUTY to make sure its taken care of. Awww! :wavey:

g26andgtrs
03-09-2012, 10:11
I first got my CPL so that I'd have the option of carrying and I wouldn't be bothered with rules and technicalities of transporting guns to/from the range. Once I started carrying, I realized how empowering it was to have the means of defending myself in the worse case scenario.

My friend was the one who encouraged me to get my CPL and helped me get a G26, encouraged me to take the gun with me when my job took me to more remote locations. And I started carrying regularly when I realized that it gave him peace of mind to know I was protected. Now I carry everywhere, even in the house.

Mrs. L.
03-12-2012, 09:00

I walk my dog morning and night. Neighbors have mentioned they've seen a bear wandering thru the area at times. I don't want my dog to be a munchie. That's what helped me decide to carry! (Haven't had to use it, YET!)

Check out some GSSF matches with her-it will help her decide!

Shondratasha
03-18-2012, 04:27
I got my permit after being a witness to a fatal knifing while waiting for Hubby to pick me up from a night of working late. I will never forget the look on the guys face when he realized I was standing behind the locked glass doors.

Do I carry all the time? No. I carry the permit but until I'm 100% sure that I won't be disarmed by an attacker, I'm not going to be armed. I'm not comfortable enough with my own proficiency yet. That's why I go to the range and take classes to improve.

Ay Dios Mio
03-18-2012, 11:36
The other day I was coming home from the grocery store when the "low tire" light came on on the dash display. Usually it just means I've lost a little air and I keep going either home or to the tire store for more air.

I live out in the boonies so when the steering wheel started to pull to the right then I got a bumpy sound, I pulled into the first place off the road where I could have a looksee.

I pulled into a driveway into a large field that was part of a construction site. Yep, I had a totally flat tire and I'd pulled into soft ground in a puddle.

I called the tow truck lady and she said she'd be there in ten minutes to change my tire. While I waited, I got the donut out and out of nowhere some guy in a big Dodge pickup came up to the gate from inside the field and wanted to help me change the tire.

He didn't speak any English and kept trying to get into the trunk to get the jack and tools out to help. I kept telling him the tow truck was coming so he got back in his truck and went back the way he came and eventually came back with another English-speaking guy.

Neither was a threat but if they had been, I wouldn't have wanted to be stranded on foot without my G26.

I went to the tire shop the next day since I couldn't find the usual nail and it turned out that my valve stem was rotted out.

When the car was new to me I'd bought rear tires from the tire place and several months later went in to get the fronts done. They had Chinese tires that I didn't want any part of, so got the best American made tires they had in my size.

When the tire guy tried to air up my flat tire, I found out that both front tires had valve stems from a batch their distributor bought that were Chinese made. He checked my other front tire's valve stem, and it was rotten too. :wow:

Stuff happens when you least expect it. I have an air compressor in my work van and two fire extinguishers. I could have had Fix-A-Flat in the car trunk, but it wouldn't have helped in this case.

While the tow truck lady and her teenage son were finishing up with me, some guy walked up from a side road where he had just broken down in his pickup and asked her to tow him to the dealership. He had four wheel drive, so she had to go back and get her other tow truck.

I don't know if the tow truck lady is armed or if the guy in the 4 wheel drive pickup was armed, but I sure was glad I always am. You just never know what will happen or who will just wander up while you're dealing with an emergency.

Mrs.Cicero
03-18-2012, 18:45
I got my permit after being a witness to a fatal knifing while waiting for Hubby to pick me up from a night of working late. I will never forget the look on the guys face when he realized I was standing behind the locked glass doors.

Do I carry all the time? No. I carry the permit but until I'm 100% sure that I won't be disarmed by an attacker, I'm not going to be armed. I'm not comfortable enough with my own proficiency yet. That's why I go to the range and take classes to improve.

I'm glad you have gone through the hassle of getting your permit, and are carrying at least some of the time, but I hope you will think about what you are actually doing when you choose NOT to carry. That is choosing to face an attacker unarmed, defenseless, out of fear of the possibility that he might be able to take your gun before you shoot him. Think about that from the standpoint of your odds, rather than your emotions.

Mrs.Cicero:wavey:

kensb2
03-23-2012, 11:20
I too have a hard time with this issue regarding my wife. I've wanted to get a firearm for a while now, but finances/new baby (now 1) just wouldn't allow for it. I've been doing a lot of looking the last 4-6 weeks, went to a local gun show, etc. My wife went to the range with me (and my in-laws) about 2 & 1/2 years ago, and she shot a G19 that she liked. Now, however, she wants to know why I 'suddenly' want a firearm; or why do I want my CCL, etc. She doesn't like the "it's my 2A right to have/carry" answer. I'd really like her to carry also, but she can't seem to wrap her head around it. She said something along the lines of 'not going to get attacked at 2pm at the park with the baby'. We live in S. OK, and there are shootings around here. People do crazy stuff @ the local Wal-Mart. I'm not quite sure how to broach the subject in such a way that I can get her to understand. Any suggestions ladies?

LiebeGlock
03-23-2012, 17:48
I too have a hard time with this issue regarding my wife. I've wanted to get a firearm for a while now, but finances/new baby (now 1) just wouldn't allow for it. I've been doing a lot of looking the last 4-6 weeks, went to a local gun show, etc. My wife went to the range with me (and my in-laws) about 2 & 1/2 years ago, and she shot a G19 that she liked. Now, however, she wants to know why I 'suddenly' want a firearm; or why do I want my CCL, etc. She doesn't like the "it's my 2A right to have/carry" answer. I'd really like her to carry also, but she can't seem to wrap her head around it. She said something along the lines of 'not going to get attacked at 2pm at the park with the baby'. We live in S. OK, and there are shootings around here. People do crazy stuff @ the local Wal-Mart. I'm not quite sure how to broach the subject in such a way that I can get her to understand. Any suggestions ladies?

It can be tough to get through a girls' head. I was reluctant because I thought "accidents" happened with pistols. But I was finally taught about handguns, how to load it, how to disassemble it and how it actually works. Now, my BRAIN is the safety. Lol. Best safety you can get... So, helping her learn about guns (especially Glocks cause they're really easy.) may help...

And also sharing stories about women who had to defend themselves and/or their kids may help. I know many girls won't defend themselves ("just let them kill me because it's my time...:" But they would put a bullet in anyone's head that dares to mess with their baby. Maybe getting through to her about protecting your bundle of joy may help.

O lookie, this one happened in OK:
http://www.opposingviews.com/i/society/guns/video-18-year-old-mom-sarah-mckinley-shoots-intruder-while-phone-911

Hate to say it, but you may have to persuade her with a 22 due to its small size, I wouldn't like anyone going with a gun with a smaller caliber than a 380, but even a 22 is better than nothing.

You can look on GT for cheap guns or CDNN.com has guns for less than $200. :cool: