Anyone have a Kel-tec PMR-30? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a Kel-tec PMR-30?

Narkcop
02-19-2012, 13:25
I am picking up a new Kel-Tec PMR-30 next week that I put a deposit on yesterday. Anyone here have one? Opinions on it?

sdsnet
02-19-2012, 13:52
I bought one of the new ones with the newer barrel. It is a neat pistol but I would not rely on a 22 rimfire as a primary self defense weapon in a semi auto pistol. You have to use a little extra care when loading the mags to ensure all rounds are against the rear of the mag by tapping the mag on a table.

Most i have read about and talked to said feeding reliability drops off a bit when the mags are loaded beyond 20 rounds. I have experienced the same on some occasions.

Make sure you use the recommended CCI Maxi Mags or Hornady vmax ammo and you will be good for plinking in the woods or at the range. Its worth the modest cost so enjoy !

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Viper 1
02-19-2012, 13:59
I am picking up a new Kel-Tec PMR-30 next week that I put a deposit on yesterday. Anyone here have one? Opinions on it?

I have a new one with the upgrades. It shoots well and is accurate but has feeding issues.

Mine is on the way back to kel tec. Loading magaines properly is crucial but they think mine has a slide issue as well.

It's ammo sensitive.

stopatrain
02-19-2012, 14:11
I want one.

bac1023
02-19-2012, 14:27
I've handled a few.

They seem ok, I guess. I never shot one.

G36's Rule
02-19-2012, 14:54
I've handled a couple, never fired one though.

To be honest, I thought they had handed me a mockup as it felt very cheap and flimsy. It appears to be 90% plastic.

Narkcop
02-19-2012, 15:43
I got it for $390- OTD & couldn't pass it up. I wouldn't rely on it for self defense. I WOULD and sometimes do rely on my 5.7 pistol for self defense.

Bulletsrrfriend
02-19-2012, 16:06
I have had mine for several months now and it has been fine since getting it back from the factory. Out of the box the trigger would not reset unless you pushed it forward, but Keltec fixed it immediately. As for ammo I have run into a few different issues. CCI TNT rounds have a large opening and will get caught on the feed ramp once in a while, maybe 3 or 4 times out of a 30 round magazine. I have not been able to try their nonlead TNT round which looks to have a smaller opening. I have not been lucky enough to get the Hornady critical defense load yet. Fiocci, Armscor, and Winchester have some loadings that spray back a good bit of burning powder and that can be annoying, but what do you expect shooting a round designed for a rifle length barrel out of a pistol. Mainly landing on the forearms. The Fiocci and Armscor seem to have thinner casings as when you get to loading past the 22-25 rounds in a magazine the rims dent and crease the case of the previous round loaded. I can get the BVAC loading at my local gun shop at $80 for a 500 round brick and my pistol shoots them all day long no problem. I do know that BVAC uses Armscor components, but they are assembled on machines in Montana and I think they either use a different powder or powder charge as I do not get the powder splash back. At under 20oz with a fully loaded magazine that equals the .380 in penetration whats not to like for a fun plinker or range gun.

Viper 1
02-19-2012, 16:48
I got it for $390- OTD & couldn't pass it up. I wouldn't rely on it for self defense. I WOULD and sometimes do rely on my 5.7 pistol for self defense.

The five seven is my next pistol.

yellolab
02-20-2012, 06:16
MY LGS got one for me just before Xmas. Honestly I have not shot it that much, but it seems to work pretty well.

Kevin

HKLovingIT
02-20-2012, 06:50
I have nothing first hand but if you search this guy's vids for PMR, he has a bunch and different ammo tests to check for keyholing.

http://www.youtube.com/user/GunWebsites?ob=0

Narkcop
02-26-2012, 18:59
I fired 50 flawless rounds of CCI 40 grain maxi mags & DAMN this gun has more muzzle flash than my 5.7, I sure wouldn't want to be in front of this gun either!

glock2740
02-26-2012, 19:02
I haven't handled one yet, but like the idea. Would prefer one in .22LR over the .22Mag.