shelf life of unopened pickles? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : shelf life of unopened pickles?

Carmen
02-19-2012, 15:04
I use coupons to help with my food storage, it's my way to be able to afford all this extra food. I had coupons that made pickles (the unrefrigerated kind) 20 cents a jar, so I now have 10 jars. I notice the expiration date is for sept 2013. That seems really conservative for pickles, since they're in vinegar, I thought they lasted practically forever. Heck, I'm eating a pickle right now that expired a year ago, and has been sitting in my fridge (opened) for a long time and taste fine. It's a huge jar so it's been open for awhile. So how long have you guys found these to last? Pickles are a favorite snack of mine (can you tell LOL) so I'd love to have them in hard times, if it came to that. Thanks!

Bolster
02-19-2012, 18:35
Jars of Claussen and Vlasic pickles have been found buried in the tombs of the pharaohs and archeologists have reported they are as tasty and crisp as those found on the shelves in modern day stores.

Seriously, wish I knew, but sauerkraut and pickles, with their preservation in salt and vinegar, are supposed to keep items edible for a long, long time. I suspect the supplier dates jars so you don't keep them around for too long, you must buy more to keep him in business. Problem is, despite their long shelf life, pickles are not terribly nutritious; neither is 'kraut.

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=54720

...says one year.

wildcat455
02-19-2012, 18:44
Don't forget you can grow and pickle them yourself. It's a relatively easy process. You don't HAVE to go without them...

Just sayin, maybe back off on couponing for pickles if you think you will have a problem eating that many.

Carmen
02-19-2012, 19:45
Well, I actually think I could eat 10 jars in a couple years (they're small jars) b/c I eat them pretty often. I know they don't offer much in the way of nutrition, but I want variety in my prep items, and they are something we can easily rotate out, and at 20 cents a jar, if one goes bad, no big deal. I try to stock up on some items that are totally not necessary (think canned pie filling) b/c I think the variety would keep my husband and I much more sane if we had to rely solely on our preps for a long period of time. Right now I'm focused on preparing for a something like an economic collapse, vs
and end of the world scenario. So I'm mainly expanding on our current pantry (thougH I am working on getting some long term storage, like rice).
Wildcat I'm working on that..but I've done a garden 2 years now and all that's survived are some pepper plants, so I'm not quite banking on that yet for my food storage:D

wildcat455
02-19-2012, 20:23
LOL! yeah, I hear ya. I go through a 24 Oz. jar of pickles every 2-3 weeks or so by myself, so I kinda like them too!

On the bright side, now that you have some pickles put up, it would be the ideal time to perfect the gardening of them!

I put up comfort foods too! Mine is Peanut Butter, Jelly, nuts, honey, etc.

The pie filling idea sounds good too! I'm not much of a baker, but I could just eat it... Thanks for the idea!!

RMTactical
02-19-2012, 20:38
Jars of Claussen and Vlasic pickles have been found buried in the tombs of the pharaohs and archeologists have reported they are as tasty and crisp as those found on the shelves in modern day stores.

:rofl:

Carry16
02-19-2012, 20:48
My grandmother was an experienced canner. When my father passed away I found a jar of her bread and butter pickles, unopened, in his refrigerator. This was 50 years after her passing on. We ate the whole jar and loved every one. YMMV.

bdcochran
02-19-2012, 20:49
Past Printed Date Past Printed Date
Pickles last for 1-2 Years 1-2 Years
Pickles Peppers last for 1-2 Years 1-2 Years
Pickled Corn lasts for 1-2 Years 1-2 Years
Sauerkraut (pickled cabbage) lasts 1-2 Years 1-2 Years

Of course, pickles last for a shorter period of time if they are not stored properly. But remember, pickles, like a lot of other vegetables, usually have a best before date and not a use by date. Because of this distinction, you may safely use pickles to compliment your favorite meals even after the best before datehas lapsed.
How to tell if pickles are bad, rotten or spoiled?

Practicing proper hygiene and food safety discipline will help prevent food borne illness. Sight is usually the best way to tell if your pickles have gone bad. If the top of the lid on the jar is rounded and dome shaped instead of flat across, the pickles have most likely gone bad probably because the jar was not sealed properly. If you open the jar and do not a hear the normal pop then the seal had been broken. If anything is brown or black (besides the added spices), then you should not eat the pickles. The pickles will begin to loose their crunch as time goes on after the best before date has lapsed, so aren’t as enjoyable but are still edible. There are, of course, certain health risks associated with spoiled pickles, so always remember to practice food safety and enjoy your pickles prior to the eat by date.
How to store pickles to extend their shelf life?

Proper food storage is the key to extending the expiration date of food. You can help pickles stay fresh longer by storing them unopened in the pantry where the temperature is always less than 75 degrees Fahrenheit. Once opened, the pickles should be kept in the fridge. Some benefits of proper food storage include eating healthier, cutting food costs and helping the environment by avoiding waste.
What’s interesting about pickles?
Pickle juice can be recycled and used as a base to marinate beef or pork.
If you like pickled veggies, add some fresh vegetables to the jar when the pickles are gone.
How long are pickles good for when prepared in a dish?

How long do pickles last? That depends. How long does pasta last? How long do hamburgers last? In general, the pickles will last as long as the quickest expiring ingredient in the prepared dish. To find out how long those other ingredients are good for, please visit the Dairy, Drinks, Fruits, Grains, Proteins, Vegetables and Other sections of Eat By Date or use the search below!
Search the Shelf Life Guide!
What are our shelf life resources?

Our content incorporates research from multiple resources, including the United States Department of Agriculture and the United States Food & Drug Administration. In addition, we scoured the web for informative articles and reports related to food safety, food storage and the shelf life of pickles.
*An important note about expiration dates …

Although the shelf life information on Eat By Date is generally reliable, please remember that individual cases will vary and that our advice should only be taken as an opinion. So, how long will food last? Let’s find out!
Related posts:
How Long Does Ketchup Last? Shelf Life Expiration Date
How Long Do Spices Last? Shelf Life Expiration Date
How Long Does Jam Last? Shelf Life Expiration Date
Tagged with: pickled corn • pickles • pickles peppers

COMMENTS

SEARCH Eat By Date
Share via emailShare via email
ABOUT EAT BY DATE
Shelf Life & Expiration Date Info at Eat By Date!Eat by Date offers info, answers and analysis related to food shelf life, food safety, food storage and how long will food last. The site features contributions from the kitchen, web and classroom communities. Please comment and send us your ideas!
EBD's BLOG Posts!
Heart Shaped Rice Krispies!
Valentines day is approaching, check EBD's Blog and learn how to make heart shaped rice krispy treats!
POPULAR FOOD READS
How Long Do Eggs Last?
How Long Does Turkey Last?
How Long Do Hard Boiled Eggs Last?
How Long Do Potatoes Last?
How Long Does Bacon Last?
FOOD VOCABULARY TERMS
Best Before Date (n) - A best before date is, according to a manufacturer, the last date a product's flavor or quality is best before.
Eat By Date (n) - An eat by date is, despite the sell, use or best before date, the last date a particular food item should be enjoyed.
Sell By Date (n) - A sell by date is the last date a store is supposed to display a food product for sale; an expiration date for food.
Shelf Life (n) - A shelf life is the period during which a stored commodity remains effective, useful, or suitable for consumption.
Use By Date (n) - A use by date is the last date by which a manufacturer will vouch for a product's quality.
MISSING A FOOD/DRINK? TELL US.

sebecman
02-20-2012, 09:22
Pickles (pickled cukes) and pickled veggies in general last a long damn time. I have some vlassic I am eating that "expired" 2 years ago. I have home canned jalepenos I am working thru that we canned back in 2002.

PS - I do couponing as well, just hit Clausen for 8 big jars of dill pickles, 47 cents each.

jwhite75
02-20-2012, 09:39
My wife teaches a couponing class so yeah we stock up. Pickles willlast a LONG time. The preservation makes that certain.

Fastbear
02-20-2012, 11:58
Pickles are a great table food. Found a six pack of home brew in the basement of an abandoned farm house. Being young and stupid my buddy and self tried one. The brew had foam rise from the liquid upon opening the bottle so we managed to drink the six pack. Obviously, we had no after effects and finished the six pack. Nothing better than finding free beer.

Kieller
02-20-2012, 12:09
Generally the expired date of pickles is not the problem in our house, its the shelf life since we seem to go through them so quickly. I would definitely use them for a suppliment for the meals but I wouldn't consider it a mainstay or major calorie contributor. It's mainly a comfort food for the wife and I so we keep some jars around.