Mylar packed buckets of mixed food items..what do you put in them? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Mylar packed buckets of mixed food items..what do you put in them?

Carmen
02-19-2012, 14:10
I've finally got the buckets, mylar bags, and O2 absorbers ready to go so I'm trying to figure out what I want to store in them. I thought to do mixed buckets, so I can basically open 1 a year to rotate through the food..I think that will be easier than opening a 5 gallon bucket of just rice! Anyone do this, and what did you choose to put in your buckets? I'm packaging 10 buckets, so the supplies inside we need to be able to last 10 years. So far I want to put white rice, TVP, and sugar in it. I thought of dried beans too, but don't know how they'd do after 10 years. Please give me your opinions! I have other food storage (canned goods, boxed mixes) so this is not my only supply, it just be my long term stuff.

gimmejr
02-19-2012, 14:49
Those are what I put in my bags, rice, beans and some sugar.

quake
02-19-2012, 14:59
Dry beans are fine well beyond ten years if mylar packed with O2 absorbers. I'd suggest looking into lentils in addition to (or even rather than) regular beans, since they store as well and take a lot less cooking than pintos & such.

I don't mix bucket ingredients, but if you must, maybe a 2:1 ratio? (Three gallon or so bag of rice & 1-1/2 gallon bag of beans/lentils.) That would leave a little room for adjuncts, spices, etc. Just reaching & guessing; no personal experience with mixing & matching in buckets.

UneasyRider
02-19-2012, 15:28
I don't mix my buckets but what I keep in them are:

1) Rice
2) Black beans
3) Red beans
4) Pinto beans
5) Hard red wheat
6) Hard white wheat
7) Rolled Oats

SFCSMITH(RET)
02-19-2012, 17:14
I don't mix my buckets but what I keep in them are:

1) Rice
2) Black beans
3) Red beans
4) Pinto beans
5) Hard red wheat
6) Hard white wheat
7) Rolled Oats

'bout the same here. Sugar, Honey, Salt, Corn also in 5 gal buckets.

UneasyRider
02-19-2012, 18:26
'bout the same here. Sugar, Honey, Salt, Corn also in 5 gal buckets.

I am looking at picking up 5 gallons of honey myself as well as some butter in smaller containers and lots of salt! I have a lot of cold pressed olive oil but I think that more could not hurt either.

SFCSMITH(RET)
02-20-2012, 06:19
I am looking at picking up 5 gallons of honey myself as well as some butter in smaller containers and lots of salt! I have a lot of cold pressed olive oil but I think that more could not hurt either.

We use a fair amount of honey, at any one time we have 3-4 gallons in quart jars in the pantry, and 2 buckets. Try to find a local bee keeper to get it from if you can. Our buckets were about $150 each, but are from bees that live within 5-10 miles of our home. We also keep a fair amount of olive oil, the 3 liter cans. For butter, we stored powdered.. keeps just about forever.. 3 #10 cans. Always 10-15 pounds in the deep freeze of the real thing..

@OP: As far as what is the best way.. kind of up to you, but, when you put, say, rice in mylar and bucket, you are effectivly putting it in suspended animation.. so when you open it in an emergency, it's pretty much like "new" with an open shelf life of months if not (still) years. When we open a LTS bucket, we transfer the contents to a "working" bucket with a gamma seal lid. Works great. But I also have to admit, we don't often open our LTS storage containers.. the whole point of LTS is.. LTS. lol.

I just go buy a 25-50lb bag of wheat, oats, rice or whatever, and put it straight into the working bucket, since right now, that is not a problem.

Warp
02-20-2012, 06:42
Mine mostly have pinto beans and white rice. Also some macaroni and spaghetti, which may have been a mistake. Then one with salt and one (factory sealed) with ~80lbs (I think it is) of pure, raw wildflower honey.

The beans/rice/pastas are in virgin HDPE buckets with iron sealed mylar bags, some diotomaceous earth and O2 absorbers.

I used less than the recommended amount of DE because it seemed like a ton at the time, I wasn't totally sure I got the mylar sealed properly and I think I may have accidentally exposed some of the O2 absorbers during storage. But since I went with so many layers I am still pretty confident they will be alright.

It's been nearly 5 years now, it may be time to crack one open some day to have a peek.