PDA

View Full Version : WI DOJ instructor accidental discharge

geoemery
02-19-2012, 15:38
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2012202180464

The firearms instructor shoots self while cleaning own gun. :dunno:

NEOH212
02-19-2012, 19:34
Wait, what's that I hear besides a firearms instructor with a over inflated ego?

Oh yes, that's it. "I'm the only one in this room professional enough to handle this gun."

:rofl:

On a serious note, he probably got complacent and careless. Rule #1, always treat every gun as if it is loaded.

I guess he forgot about that.

SigFTW
02-20-2012, 10:21
Maybe the firearms instructor needs to go the a class and learn about gun safety.:whistling:

Gunnut 45/454
02-20-2012, 11:28
SigFTW
Better yet find another line of work - this career is obviously not for him! This is not an AD it was a ND! He purposely was cleaning a load firearm! Thats Negligent not accidental!:whistling:

IndyGunFreak
02-20-2012, 11:45
SigFTW
Better yet find another line of work - this career is obviously not for him! This is not an AD it was a ND! He purposely was cleaning a load firearm! Thats Negligent not accidental!:whistling:

OK, I'm with you on him possibly finding another line of work.. but where do you get he was purposely cleaning a loaded firearm? I see nothing in the article about that. This seems to be a "oops, I thought it was unloaded" moment(still not acceptable, but not anything close to saying he did it on purpose). If he really was cleaning a firearm and knew it was loaded... he not only needs another career, but he needs to face criminal negligence charges.

TKOFaith
02-20-2012, 13:37
.. but where do you get he was purposely cleaning a loaded firearm?

Treat every firearm as if it is loaded. Check...check twice...check again. If he didn't check (which is obvious, because if he had checked he would have known it was loaded. Negligent Discharge.

KennyFSU
02-20-2012, 13:44
His finger shouldn't have been on the trigger regardless!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EAJuggalo
02-20-2012, 17:08
Kenny, how do you break down a Glock to clean it without pulling the trigger?

Two major rule fails here: #1, treat every firearm as if it were loaded. And #3, never point your firearm at anything you're not willing to destroy.

KennyFSU
02-20-2012, 17:20
I have a habit of racking the slide first, but maybe that's just me. Was the gun in question a Glock? I don't think the article states the make or model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IndyGunFreak
02-20-2012, 19:32
Treat every firearm as if it is loaded. Check...check twice...check again. If he didn't check (which is obvious, because if he had checked he would have known it was loaded. Negligent Discharge.

I understand that. I don't dispute this dude screwed up majorly, but to say he did it "on purpose' is not supported by the article. A negligent discharge is a long way from accusing someone of intentionally doing something extremely stupid.

There's stupid and there's criminally stupid. An ND (in most circumstances where nobody is injured) is stupid. Person failed to check the weapon was unloaded, probably pulled the trigger to disassemble, and bang.

Someone cleaning a firearm that they KNOW is loaded, is criminally stupid.

I'm trying to figure out the statement that he "purposely was cleaning a loaded firearm" as that doesn't seem to be supported in the article.

Turk
02-21-2012, 01:51
His finger shouldn't have been on the trigger regardless!

What do you mean "finger on the trigger"? The article clearly said that the gun just "went off"!:tease:

EAJuggalo
02-21-2012, 07:31
I have a habit of racking the slide first, but maybe that's just me. Was the gun in question a Glock? I don't think the article states the make or model.

You rack the slide but still have to pull the trigger in order to field strip. It was in response to your assertion that his finger should not have been on the trigger.

SigFTW
02-21-2012, 08:37
On a serious note, he probably got complacent and careless.

I think it all comes down to this, complacent and careless.

Have a procedure and stick to it. Before pulling any trigger I always check, recheck and recheck one more time. If the gun was set down and I move my attention to something else and then go back to the gun, I recheck it again. Why, because the gun is always loaded, regardless of how many times I checked it before.