a comfort issue [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : a comfort issue

Gimp
02-19-2012, 15:05
I carry upwaards of 12 hours a day, for several reasons...the best of which, in my mind, is that I figure that if I carry constantly, I won't be hyperconscious of my carry and wear ten tons of tells.

One problem, though, is that I already had a bad back, and it gets irksome. I'm guessing I'm not alone in this, so I came to offer my solution.

I shopped 'til I found three holsters that carry in the same position, at the same angle, same thumb-break...but with different separation of the belt-slides. I take a break twice a day and change holsters and the difference in how they carry the weight has made a world of difference in the fatigue factor!

I thought,if it helps me, why not share?

RadarP3C
02-19-2012, 18:29
Thanks for sharing! Sounds like good advice to redistribute the weight throughout the day even if you don't have back pain. Might even prevent future problems.

cowboy1964
02-19-2012, 19:21
What gun do you carry?

Badger54
02-20-2012, 02:59
I have heard that an Airweight J frame in a shoulder holster is good for people with bad backs.

jmathis84
02-20-2012, 03:12
I know for a fact that a j frame in the pocket is good for people with back problems. I have the same issues now. I carry a G22. It has taken me a couple years to find the right holster that doesnt bother me but offers the best retention for me to feel comfortable carrying it.

saddlebum
02-20-2012, 08:07
i have terrible low back problems,i found a kahr cm9 aiwb in a kydex holster from pj holsters works great for me

Gimp
02-20-2012, 11:12
What gun do you carry?

I carry a SIG P6, with one spare mag on the opposite hip and a second in a pocket.

EAJuggalo
02-20-2012, 16:11
This sounds like it may be a belt issue. A good belt should distribute that weight across your hips and not cause any back issues.

Rev.357
02-20-2012, 19:20
I've found that I carry a paddle type holster better that all others. On the flip side I carry a IWB 90% of the time in the 4oclock area & a good belt with the right amount if tention means the world.

smitty704
02-20-2012, 20:28
Thanks for sharing.

Also, pocket carry is great as well. It don't have an issue with IWB because I am skinny, but my father can't carry IWB. He carries a LC9 IWB and has no issues what so ever.

TxGlock9
02-20-2012, 22:03
This sounds like it may be a belt issue. A good belt should distribute that weight across your hips and not cause any back issues.

that's a valid statement right there. I tried carrying with both my 5.11 operator belt vs. my regular black leather belt, and you there is definitely better distribution of the weight with the gun belt.

rick458
02-21-2012, 01:44
Have a GOOD gun belt so you dont have to wear it really tight that helps.

Gimp
02-21-2012, 14:38

As I said...I had a bad back to begin with.

I also have a very good belt.

dosei
02-21-2012, 15:05
As I said...I had a bad back to begin with.

I also have a very good belt.

So what/which/whose belt do you use?

I've come across so many people that just "knew" that they had "a very good belt"...until they actually tried a very good belt. Just want to make sure you are not one of the many out there who think their Carhart or Amish belt is "a very good belt".

eclark53520
02-21-2012, 15:09

I've come across so many people that just "knew" that they had "a very good belt"...until they actually tried a very good belt. Just want to make sure you are not one of the many out there who think their Carhart or Amish belt is "a very good belt".

+1, the belt is key.

Get one that is specifically designed for toting around a gun. If you don't already.

I have a friend that was having a hard time with back problems and carrying his XD. I let him wear my belt for a day, and half way through the day he ordered one.

Gimp
02-21-2012, 15:19

I used to wear a 5.11 I now wear a belt custom-made for my disability...by a guy who does very good work (and doesn't get his nose out of joint that I sometimes have to make other accommodations as well.)

Please...I'm 55 years old. I know exactly what (and who)caused my bad back. I appreciate your desire to advertise your preferred brand, since it obviously does good work for you or you wouldn't pay that price for it, but realize that everyone os not you, okay?

Gimp
02-21-2012, 15:46
Thanks for sharing.

Also, pocket carry is great as well. It don't have an issue with IWB because I am skinny, but my father can't carry IWB. He carries a LC9 IWB and has no issues what so ever.

Thanks, Smitty.

Me, I'm not skinny...and I wear jeans. IWB and pocket-carry are both pretty much out for me. Besides, I have hands that make the grip on a Glock 19 uncomfortably short, so any pocket-carry pistol is...not gonna work for me.

My three different pancake holsters have given me such a degree of relief that I wanted to share the thought with anyone else suffering likewise. I don't want to hype the brands (one is a generic, anyway!) because everyone is not me, and I figger everyone is built a bit different...and so are back injuries.

;)