Explain 2 stage trigger vs other triggers! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Explain 2 stage trigger vs other triggers!

Robreynolds
02-19-2012, 15:51
I am wanting to get an AR, and I like Rock River's Elite Operator 2. But I notice they have a 2 stage trigger. I'm wanting it for home defense and plinking inside of 100 yards or so. What's the difference between a 2 stage trigger vs all the other mfg's guns? Thanks.

jrs93accord
02-19-2012, 17:35
For what you are wanting to use your AR for, I would not even concern yourself with a 2-stage trigger. They are more for precision shooting. Since you asked, I found this explaination from YAHOO Answers:

The factory single stage trigger mechanism releases the hammer (firing the weapon) after a steady squeeze is applied by the trigger finger. This trigger squeeze requires steadily increasing pressure to overcome the sear spring and mechanical resistance. The "creep" inherent in the factory single stage trigger requires that the shooter take time to "walk" through the trigger pull and find the "let-off point" in order to achieve accurate fire. In the semi automatic mode the two-stage trigger mechanism releases the hammer (firing the weapon) after two distinct amounts of spring and mechanical resistance are overcome by the trigger finger. The Initial stage of resistance encountered with this design feels light and is relatively long - approximately I/8 of an inch. The second stage of resistance feels noticeably greater but is of very short duration. The result is an extremely predictable, consistent, "crisp" trigger pull; semi-automatic fire is both quicker and more accurate because the first stage is quickly overcome and the second stage is crisp and predictable.

Robreynolds
02-19-2012, 18:06
O.K., that's a pretty good explanation. I don't think I would mind that at all. I guess that's the only way the Rock River comes anyway. And if I did want to swap out the trigger later on, that's a pretty easy change isn't it?

jrs93accord
02-19-2012, 18:43
Changing fire control groups is pretty easy.

samuse
02-19-2012, 21:21
To me:

Stock trigger = very much like a stock Glock trigger when fired by "riding the reset".

2 stage (Geissele SSA or SSA-E) = very much like a great 1911 trigger.