Concealed at public bathrooms. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Concealed at public bathrooms.

jbarnes85
02-19-2012, 16:51
I just got a new G27 for my conceal everyday gun and picked a Galco IWB holster for it. (not the best but all the gun shop had.) Was at a store and had to go to the bathroom, it was a sit down job. When I was finished I went to pull up my pants and got them almost all the way up when my glock fell out of the holster onto the concrete floor. Didn't hurt the gun and I was fortunate I was alone, but it could have been worse. I also realized that if i'm in a small stall with my pants down there is easy access to my gun from the stall next to me. I carry at 3 o'clock. I may just be that I am being paranoid but if someone did grab then I world literally be caught with my pants down.

Wanted to get others opinion on what they do in the event they have to use a public bathroom.

Jim S.
02-19-2012, 16:56
I would simply remove it from the holster and let it rest in the crotch of your pants since they are right in front of you.
It does take being careful not to let it fall or forget when you get up.

Beretta92guy
02-19-2012, 17:00
LOL.....i hate to laugh but that is just funny....

seriously....Galco is GOOD STUFF....i have several of their holsters that i use for CCW, and if the gun just "fell out" you most likely did not have it seated properly in the holster....

what i do when im in the bathroom, with 'sit down' jobs....is drop my pants to just above my knees then buckle my belt around my legs and keep it taunt while im doing "business".....

keep it that way when you stand up to finish your business, then pull up your pants...

been doing it for years that way with no issues :)

bentbiker
02-19-2012, 17:04
You might be interested in Carrying a Gun in a Public Restroom - YouTube . Of all things, it's done by a woman, and I thought she did a good job.

jbarnes85
02-19-2012, 17:09
I did have a good laugh about it after and have to thank glock for making such a reliable gun because there was one in the chamber. That would have been a tricky one to explain. "Sorry officer it fell out and went off."

saxconnection
02-19-2012, 17:09
I'm a boxers kind of guy. When I'm in the stall, I fold the top of my boxers over the butt of the gun. When you're done, pull them both (boxers and covered gun) up at the same time. The only holster I've ever lost a glock out of was a Bianchi clip on (model 100). IMO Galco is good stuff. Not the best, but I've NEVER had a dropped gun out of a Galco.

Adam

XPerties
02-19-2012, 17:56
That video was excellent. I can't believe it took a woman to actually put something together. I love it when she says "if it falls out you don't have good gear".

bentbiker
02-19-2012, 18:04
That video was excellent. I can't believe it took a woman to actually put something together.She obviously put some work into it -- she took the time to type up a couple pages of points that she wanted to make during the video. And she evidently discussed it with men in advance. One thing she could have added about men standing at a urinal -- it is one time that you are very vulnerable to having your gun taken away if it is carried at 3:00 or further back.

3/4Flap
02-19-2012, 18:12
It is obvious that at some point during the job you must expose your pistol IN the public bathroom, but good heavens, just make sure your pistol is fully concealed when you LEAVE the public bathroom!

:rofl:

The Pirate
02-19-2012, 18:18
There is a flat topped trash can in ours at work right in front of the toilet. I set whatever I'm packing on it when I'm "taking the browns to the super bowl". Anyway, a few months ago I ran out and left my 36 on it. Soon realized and nothing bad happened. But it is something else to think about when deciding what to do with your carry piece. Could have been bad.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine, on a toilet as I type this.

Glock+2
02-19-2012, 18:24
:wow::panties:

whiteymin
02-19-2012, 18:30
At work I set mine on the back of the toilet. Nobody going to be back there. When Im done, that means pants up and buckled etc, then I put my gun back in holster. I have not yet forgot mine there. I did discover my boss had left his gun there one day. I immediately took it to him. The bathroom is an employee bathroom only in the back. Thank God you are one of the ones like me that actually spins around to pull up your pants. Don't know why. I guess as a kid mom must have spun me to her to pull them up and I have always turned around where Im facing toilet to pull up pants. Imagine the opposite, and I was so afraid you were going to say it, that you pulled them up and the gun slipped out and into the toilet... That would be hilarious and I imagine it has happened.

The Pirate
02-19-2012, 18:38
...I was so afraid you were going to say it, that you pulled them up and the gun slipped out and into the toilet... That would be hilarious and I imagine it has happened.

That is exactly why I started setting mine on the trash can in ours at work. It almost happened to me. I bet there has been a small percentage of pistols in toilet water over time.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

michael e
02-19-2012, 18:46
Don't poop in public, problem solved. If the rare case I have to I leave it in the holster, never had an issue, as for someone trying to reach under and take it, well you have never been in the same bathroom as me. Getting the hell out would be the top thing on your list .

kodiakpb
02-19-2012, 18:50
I would simply remove it from the holster and let it rest in the crotch of your pants since they are right in front of you.

Exactly this, or remove the entire holster with weapon in it & stick it in crotch of pants if your worried about the holster being seen

frontier2011
02-19-2012, 19:15
I just got a new G27 for my conceal everyday gun and picked a Galco IWB holster for it. (not the best but all the gun shop had.) Was at a store and had to go to the bathroom, it was a sit down job. When I was finished I went to pull up my pants and got them almost all the way up when my glock fell out of the holster onto the concrete floor. Didn't hurt the gun and I was fortunate I was alone, but it could have been worse. I also realized that if i'm in a small stall with my pants down there is easy access to my gun from the stall next to me. I carry at 3 o'clock. I may just be that I am being paranoid but if someone did grab then I world literally be caught with my pants down.

Wanted to get others opinion on what they do in the event they have to use a public bathroom.

Rule#1: Never smash a deuce in public.

NEOH212
02-19-2012, 19:19
I take my right shoe off, take my right leg out of my pants and lift gun and all up onto my left lap while I answer the call of nature. This way, my gun never leaves the holster, I remain in control of my gun at all times, and it leaves my right hand free to the necessary duties.

When done, I simply reverse the process. This process hasn't failed me yet!

:wavey:

MonsterB
02-19-2012, 19:22
Rule#1: Never smash a deuce in public.
Words to live by. Lol:supergrin:, but true. Pocket carry is starting to sound good for the first time.

Rev.357
02-19-2012, 22:19
I carry my G32 in a Leather Blackhawk IWB holster 90% of the time. It only took a few weeks to break the holster in & it holds my EDC very well. I've had to take a dump or 2 & never had a problem just letting it HANG:rofl:!!

jmathis84
02-19-2012, 23:10
Don't drop your glock when you cop a squat:rofl:. On another forum I frequent another forum member dropped his glock in the crapper after he finished his business. :rofl: I personally try not to drop a duce in public and if unavoidable I just put the holster in the crotch area of my britches until im done.

Hour13
02-19-2012, 23:55
Ahhh... This topic has spawned many an entertaining thread...

jbarnes85
02-20-2012, 00:01
Tactical wise I love the Galco holster but it sits high. My first gun I carried concealed was a Walther PPK and I used a cheap ace case and liked the concealability of it but it sacrificed being able to get to it quickly. They put the clip at the top of the holster so just about the entire gun is below the belt line. They also make a great tuckable holster which run 2 for $20.

Badger54
02-20-2012, 03:58
Shoulder carry eliminates this issue.

cadillacguns
02-20-2012, 06:25
Stick it under your left arm, lucky you didnt hear a "SPLASH".

Psychman
02-20-2012, 06:27
You might be interested in Carrying a Gun in a Public Restroom - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEjidDyyn8U) . Of all things, it's done by a woman, and I thought she did a good job.

Good points, but she sure was waving that gun all over the place when she was talking. Perhaps this is what should not be done when making a video about gun safety??

dudel
02-20-2012, 07:22

Use a stall, close the door. Wasn't that easy.:supergrin:

MoneyMaker
02-20-2012, 07:38
If your gun is falling out of your holster,seems to me you better get a better holster or be prepared to hand over your CCW one day soon!!!

dabigguns357
02-20-2012, 08:09
Shoulder carry eliminates this issue.

I totally agree,I shoulder carry both my Glock 22 and my H&K usp 40,nor do i use tie downs.

Gary1911A1
02-20-2012, 08:17
I take my right shoe off, take my right leg out of my pants and lift gun and all up onto my left lap while I answer the call of nature. This way, my gun never leaves the holster, I remain in control of my gun at all times, and it leaves my right hand free to the necessary duties.

When done, I simply reverse the process. This process hasn't failed me yet!

:wavey:

Never thought of doing that, but the next time I'll give it a try.

SigFTW
02-20-2012, 10:00
I wear cowboy boots 95% of the time, with that you can only pull your pants down so far and my holster is always upright and not viable from the open bottom of the stalls line of sight. When I pull up my pants I always have my hand on or around my gun for extra safety to keep from falling out.

All this talk about bathrooms making have to go!! brb :eric:

notjustanothermini
02-20-2012, 12:53
haha, i have used the restroom at wally world, only to realize bout 5 minutes later, that i left the damned thing on the toilette paper dispenser.

went back real fast, left the buggy and stuff in the isle and there it was like a golden duck right on top of the dispenser were i left it, i make a point to not do that again.

could have been real real bad

Glenn E. Meyer
02-20-2012, 17:04
Find the Handicapped or Family Bathroom. Gives you room and privacy.

Empty a pocket - you would be suprised the gun that fits into pockets.

In a store, get a bag from check out. Put the gun in that - and on the floor.

As far as never going in public - yeah, right - take a road trip wearing killer astronaut space diapers.

dabigguns357
02-20-2012, 19:05
As far as never going in public - yeah, right - take a road trip wearing killer astronaut space diapers.

Actually wasn't there a female astronaut that took a road trip to kill her rival,and if memory serves me right she did just that,wore diapers so she wouldn't have to stop.

I heard she made great time by not stopping.:wow:

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn11116-astronaut-held-in-jail-for-attempted-murder.html

Schaffer
02-20-2012, 19:14
I personally unholster and put it in the crotch of my pants. I've heard of guys putting it on the tank or the TP dispenser. Not something I'd try as people are creepers and peek through the crack.

Glockworks
02-20-2012, 20:06

While I try to not have to use the public toilets, it does happen on occasion. I almost always take the weapon out, and set it on the toilet paper dispenser in the stall. If I'm thinking there is a remote chance I will leave it (never have yet in +20 years of CC) I will set my glasses on top of the weapon, thus ensuring I will not forget it. And yes I am able to see reasonably well without my glasses.

My input anyway, and I liked the idea about cinching the belt above the knees, that may work. And I usually carry around 1 to 2 o'clock and I have a very stocky build.

Bladegt
02-20-2012, 20:50
I was at a party not too long ago with a few friends. I wasn't drinking but from having too many Arizona teas... well I had to break the seal. I walked over the nearest bush and went to town. Well, after I finish up I decide to fix my pants and undo my belt. As i'm adjusting my belt I my IWB flips around and dumps my G19 onto the ground. Moral is, if you don't have alot of experience doing these things with your pistol, it can happen to anyone. I usually leave my Glock either on the toilet paper dispensor or on the back of the toilet.

smitty704
02-20-2012, 21:23

This is exactly how to do it.

Henning
02-21-2012, 11:38
I have dealt with this many times. At most stores, there is usually a private bathroom near the pharmacy or maybe some type of family bathroom. If that is available, I will use that. If not, I will usually take my gun out and place on top of the toilet paper holder (if its flat). Back of the toilet has also been used. I have also taken off the holster/gun and held in my off hand (non wiping...) Hope this helps...

The Hawk
02-22-2012, 08:57

We actually taught our new recruits this method during handgun retention classes. I suppose they still teach this. I retired in 2008.