S&w mp15 sport review [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : S&w mp15 sport review

Kona dawg
02-19-2012, 17:51
I bought this gun because of all the great reviews. It has locked up ( i guess out of time) 3 times on me. At 100 yds with a nikon 3x9x40 scope i am lucky to get them in a paper plate. That is in a lead sled too. I am not a great shot but with remington vtr and same scope I can tear holes. I realize it is not going to be as accurate as a bolt but I was expecting alot better grouping than this. Any thoughts?

G30Mike
02-19-2012, 18:04
Cheap gun, cheap results. Id get ahold of S&W to have them make it right. Those things carry a lifetime warranty IIRC.

smokin762
02-19-2012, 18:06
You say it locked up on you. Did you get an extracting case caught in the receiver?

When you were shooting, was it from a bench on sand bags or were you sitting, standing or in the prone position?

What was your group size or was it all over the place?

JaPes
02-19-2012, 18:20
I bought this gun because of all the great reviews. It has locked up ( i guess out of time) 3 times on me. At 100 yds with a nikon 3x9x40 scope i am lucky to get them in a paper plate. That is in a lead sled too. I am not a great shot but with remington vtr and same scope I can tear holes. I realize it is not going to be as accurate as a bolt but I was expecting alot better grouping than this. Any thoughts?

Questions...

What type of malfunction was the "lock up"? Was it a failure to feed? Failure to eject? Double feed?

What was the ammo you were using?

Did you try to shoot at closer ranges first before going out to 100yds? If you did, what were the results?

Is this your first AR platform? I'm assuming that the rifle was cleaned & lubed prior to the range session. Is this the first time shooting a stock AR combat trigger?

I don't know what else. S&W has a lifetime warranty. If everything else doesn't pan out, send it back for diagnostic & warranty repair.

Kona dawg
02-19-2012, 18:35
55 grain cheap remington ammo. Like i said i wasnt expecting much

Shooting from lead sled bench

Pulled trigger on live round and did not shoot. Bolt would not pull back. Called s&w they said hold bolt and hit gun with rubber mallot to free. I ended up just jerking it out.

Oiled and greased prior

Kona dawg
02-19-2012, 18:37
No consistency. All over

50 yds was probably 6 inch groups. Erratic but nothing like 100

Friend shot with results same as mine

cyphertext
02-19-2012, 19:46
Have you modified the rifle in any way? I saw a previous post where you were wanting to change out the front sight post. Did you change the front sight to a flat gas block?

Also, are your rings, mounts, and risers all tight? Make sure everything is screwed down tight, or that can cause inconsistent shot placement.

Kona dawg
02-19-2012, 20:53
Havent modified yet. Everything tight

Kona dawg
02-19-2012, 20:53
Inconsistent with iron sights also

cyphertext
02-19-2012, 21:21
Inconsistent with iron sights also

If it is inconsistent with both irons and the scope, it sounds like it needs to go back to S&W. They will take care of you.

JaPes
02-19-2012, 21:24
Something is really off. I'd send it in to S&W for warranty service. Call them & get a shipping tag.

Email: qa@smith-wesson.com

Telephone: 1-800-331-0852 (M-F 8:00AM-8:00PM EST)

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Category4_750001_750051_761651_-1_757814_757812_image (http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Category4_750001_750051_757817_-1_757814_757812_image)

Kona dawg
02-19-2012, 21:29
Thanks for the links. What kind of grouping should I expect at 100 yds with the sport?

JaPes
02-19-2012, 21:56
Kona,

I haven't been able to shoot 100yds (confirmed) yet. Too cold up my way to run up to neighboring Wisconsin's outdoor ranges.

A 15-Sport owner shot his 100yds in this thread:

http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-wesson-m-p15-rifle/233530-i-had-45-minutes-go-shoot.html

He posts that he recently had knee surgery, trying to shoot standing, 12 mph wind, iron sights. He was able to keep within a 12" circle.

If he could do this with his 15-Sport in his condition, then there has got to be a manufacturing/assembly defect plaguing yours.

cyphertext
02-19-2012, 22:32
He doesn't show himself actually shooting, so take it with a grain of salt...

M&P15 Sport Accuracy & Review - YouTube

I think anything less that 4" group is unacceptable, and I would expect better. My SKS shoots better than what you are reporting with your Sport.

Disregarded9-side
02-20-2012, 13:37
Sounds out of spec. Send it back, and don't feel bad about asking for some free stuff for your time.

From a Leadsled any AR-15 should do much better than that. I've been shooting with a couple cheaper/lower quality rifles and done much, much better than what you're describing.

Cheap gun, cheap results.
Not trying to troll, but this is just dumb. The S&W is not a "cheap gun"; it's a quality made entry-level rifle. Thinking that it should be this much less accurate than a BCM 'just 'cause' is uninformed. The brand warring is kinda outta control (causing the failure of logic) at this point in the AR-15 world.

G30Mike
02-20-2012, 14:39
Sounds out of spec. Send it back, and don't feel bad about asking for some free stuff for your time.

From a Leadsled any AR-15 should do much better than that. I've been shooting with a couple cheaper/lower quality rifles and done much, much better than what you're describing.

Not trying to troll, but this is just dumb. The S&W is not a "cheap gun"; it's a quality made entry-level rifle. Thinking that it should be this much less accurate than a BCM 'just 'cause' is uninformed. The brand warring is kinda outta control (causing the failure of logic) at this point in the AR-15 world.

No, I agree that it shouldn't be shooting the groups he's talking about, that's why I suggested ti send it to S&W and they'll make it right for him. One person said before that his SKS was more accurate than the rifle in question, and having had an SKS myself I couldn't agree more. ANY AR should be shooting better groups than an SKS. :D

fowler
02-20-2012, 15:36
Less than 2MOA at 100yds with my SW Sport. Great rifle 100% reliable. Money well spent. All the AR I need and nothing I don,t need.

smokin762
02-20-2012, 16:11
No consistency. All over

I wonder if the barrel is tightened down properly. I witnessed an M16 A2 shoot very inconsistently a couple years ago. It had a loose barrel.

Contact
02-20-2012, 16:37
I'm interested to see what the problem is. I have a few hundred trouble free rounds through mine. No issues whatsoever.

WayaX
02-20-2012, 23:07
I wonder if the barrel is tightened down properly. I witnessed an M16 A2 shoot very inconsistently a couple years ago. It had a loose barrel.

This would be my first thought of the cause of accuracy problems in an AR-15.

To the OP: make sure the rifle is unloaded then try the following...

Grab the barrel with one hand, and the upper receiver with the other and try to twist. If you have any movement at all, you have a loose barrel. Since you are not familiar with AR-15 rifles, either A) send it back to S&W (probably best solution for you) or B) Find someone with the tools to torque down a barrel nut and bring him a case of beer.

If that fails, with the rifle still unloaded, look at the flash hider and see if you can see anywhere that the bullets may be contacting it after leaving the barrel (this is pretty rare, but is a possibility). If this is the case, send it back to S&W.

In short, it probably needs a trip back to the factory. I'd just be curious to know what was wrong with it first.

TangoFoxtrot
02-21-2012, 08:52
No consistency. All over

Sounds like it could be bad shooting skills to me...Or you just got a one of the lot call QC @ S&W. The Sport is an excellent rifle and shoots just as well as my Colt which cost me $2000 years back.

TangoFoxtrot
02-21-2012, 08:54
Thanks for the links. What kind of grouping should I expect at 100 yds with the sport?

I get tight groups 100 yards. Just call S&W and get them to check out the rifle.

KiloXray
02-21-2012, 18:27
Sounds like it could be bad shooting skills to me...Or you just got a one of the lot call QC @ S&W. The Sport is an excellent rifle and shoots just as well as my Colt which cost me $2000 years back.

Scoped in a sled, would be almost impossible to shoot that poorly.

I call mech issues, and vote that it be sent back to SW.

Kona dawg
02-21-2012, 19:56
Just to update. Called s&w they were great. Said send it back( they provide all shipping labels etc). They said they will go through it. They said they will shoot it at 50 yds open sights and it would not come back to me until it is perfect.

JaPes
02-21-2012, 20:09
That is good news! Be sure to keep us updated on how S&W remediates the issues with your 15-Sport.

The S&W lifetime warranty was one of the main factors that influenced my choice to buy a 15-Sport. I'm very interested to see the practical value/result of that warranty.

G36's Rule
02-21-2012, 20:14
Interesting. Thread shows as locked, but isn't.

TangoFoxtrot
02-22-2012, 07:53
Just to update. Called s&w they were great. Said send it back( they provide all shipping labels etc). They said they will go through it. They said they will shoot it at 50 yds open sights and it would not come back to me until it is perfect.

Now that's what I'm talking about good quality customer service, attached to an ecomonical AR rifle. Thats what America is all about!.....or use to be anyway.

chris in va
02-23-2012, 01:20
Curious to hear what the cause is. Mine has been flawless.

Kona dawg
02-23-2012, 14:42
For those of you following this thread, i got my prepaid shipping label via email yesterday and fed ex picked up today. So far impressed with their service. We will see how long it takes and what they find out. Stay tuned

JaPes
02-23-2012, 18:14
Thanks for the update!

While I do not like that your 15-Sport has issues, I think your experience with S&W warranty diagnostic & repair will help prospective 15-Sport owners gauge the true value of the S&W warranty.

That limited lifetime warranty was one of the reasons I chose the 15-Sport.

Contact
02-23-2012, 18:30
Thanks for the update!

While I do not like that your 15-Sport has issues, I think your experience with S&W warranty diagnostic & repair will help prospective 15-Sport owners gauge the true value of the S&W warranty.

That limited lifetime warranty was one of the reasons I chose the 15-Sport.

Agreed.

bug
02-23-2012, 20:03
Tagged for ending

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

cyphertext
02-26-2012, 14:23
Finally shot my Sport today and there is definitely something wrong with yours Kona. With mine on sandbags, I shot two touching in the bull and the third just a little high and outside the bull in the 10 ring. After that, I moved the sand bags and shot, (still at the bench because that is all I can do at this range) and at 50 yards I could keep them all within the 10 ring without much effort. I wasn't trying to group at that point, just having fun slinging lead down range.

This was with 62 grain Silver Bear HP...cheap steel cased ammo, no issues. I only shot 90 rounds, just to sight it in and to run the magazines empty. Once my mount comes in for my red dot, I will run more through it.

stormspotter
02-27-2012, 07:57
Here is what mine can do, I just wish my eyes would let me do it every time. I have a Vortex Strikeforce on mine and this is a 50 yard target.

It's been 100% for about 400 rounds so far. Sorry, I didn't rotate the picture before it uploaded.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k10/ema567/001-2.jpg

TangoFoxtrot
02-27-2012, 08:03
Nice shooting Storm!

stormspotter
02-27-2012, 10:58
Nice shooting Storm!

That was the best of the day. Most were up to twice that size.

Still not bad for a 4MOA red dot.

biscotrip
02-27-2012, 11:28
I love my M&P 15 sport. And my Glock 23c 223297

Kona dawg
03-05-2012, 14:54
I just received an email saying they replaced the barrell on my sport and it will ship out tomorrow. It didn't say what was wrong with it. Maybe the invoice will be more detailed. What could have been wrong with the barrell? Could I have not broke it in right? I never "unloaded" a full clip. Mabe shot 3 or 4 rounds quickly but thats it. Any thoughts?

cyphertext
03-05-2012, 15:42
Sounds like they determined there was a manufacturing defect. I doubt it was anything you did. When you get it back, let us know how it shoots. Glad S&W took care of it so quickly.

Magelk
03-05-2012, 17:16
I just received an email saying they replaced the barrell on my sport and it will ship out tomorrow. It didn't say what was wrong with it. Maybe the invoice will be more detailed. What could have been wrong with the barrell? Could I have not broke it in right? I never "unloaded" a full clip. Mabe shot 3 or 4 rounds quickly but thats it. Any thoughts?

I'm guessing the crown was bad but it could have been something else. Anyway, who cares, it's coming home fixed!:thumbsup:

WoodenPlank
03-05-2012, 17:28
I'm guessing the crown was bad but it could have been something else. Anyway, who cares, it's coming home fixed!:thumbsup:

Yep, bad crown would be my guess, too. Not something most people think about on ARs, since the muzzle device covers it.

Also, I wanna slap the OP for calling a magazine a "clip".... :steamed:

OP: There's no reason or need to "break in" your new barrel, either - just get out there and shoot it.

barefoot
03-05-2012, 19:08
I'm thinking about a Sport, too. Can anyone tell me if the Sport's lower receiver would be a good platform on which to put, say, a 300BLK or 6.8SPC upper at a later date?

JaPes
03-05-2012, 19:25
I'm thinking about a Sport, too. Can anyone tell me if the Sport's lower receiver would be a good platform on which to put, say, a 300BLK or 6.8SPC upper at a later date?

I don't see why not.

Kona dawg
03-05-2012, 20:22
I dont even know what a crown is :rofl:

Sorry bout "clip"

WoodenPlank
03-06-2012, 05:02

Sorry bout "clip"

It's the beveled cut at the end of the muzzle - the muzzle itself, really. If the crown is damaged, kiss your accuracy goodbye - you'll be hard pressed to hit the broad side of the barn from inside any more.

TangoFoxtrot
03-06-2012, 05:23

Sorry bout "clip"

The crown sits in front of the clip, and the clip is on the bottom.

WoodenPlank
03-06-2012, 05:26

:upeyes:

Glock 1
03-06-2012, 10:06

:rofl:

Glock 1
03-06-2012, 10:08
I was reading about crowns last night (educating my noob self) and was amazed that they have so much bearing on accuracy. What are the odds of a bad one on a new rifle? especially when the FH normally protects them? Machining defect?

Kona dawg
03-07-2012, 14:23
Well i got my gun back today and was impressed with the quickness. Its 30 mph winds so i doubt i will shoot today. The downfall is it had a note that said "replaced barrell"". That was it. I wish it would have explained what was wrong. I will try and shoot in next few days and see if its any better.

WoodenPlank
03-07-2012, 14:29
I was reading about crowns last night (educating my noob self) and was amazed that they have so much bearing on accuracy. What are the odds of a bad one on a new rifle? especially when the FH normally protects them? Machining defect?

Machining defect, dropped on hard factory floor or bumped muzzle-first into steel rack/scrap/bench before the FH is installed, some other ding/scratch/burr/etc on the crown left over from cutting the bore. It really doesn't take much to totally screw the crown. Honestly, I think that's mart of the reason you're seeing more precision rifles with flash hiders and compensators, they keep the crown protected. Well, that, and QD mounting for suppressors.. :whistling:

Glock 1
03-07-2012, 16:41
I am changing mine out soon. Will have to take a gander at the crown while I have it off.

Kona dawg
03-07-2012, 18:11
Update: i couldnt stand it so i went to range. I havent installed optics yet but at 25 yds ( open sights) i grouped apple size groups and at 50 was paper plate grouping(probably lot better). I am not a good shot but this is better groupings than i had before with scope!!! This is what i expected. Cant wait to install optics and get back to range. S &w service top notch! No jams of any sort either 100 rds

cyphertext
03-07-2012, 18:25
Update: i couldnt stand it so i went to range. I havent installed optics yet but at 25 yds ( open sights) i grouped apple size groups and at 50 was paper plate grouping(probably lot better). I am not a good shot but this is better groupings than i had before with scope!!! This is what i expected. Cant wait to install optics and get back to range. S &w service top notch! No jams of any sort either 100 rds

Were you shooting from a rest? It seems like it should still group tighter.

JaPes
03-07-2012, 18:33

Good to hear! Your experience validates my faith in the S&W limited lifetime warranty.

Kona dawg
03-07-2012, 18:40
No rest and 30 mph wind

UniversalBrow06
03-07-2012, 20:20
Bravo to S&W. That's some solid customer service.

WoodenPlank
03-07-2012, 21:09
Glad to hear you got taken care of by S&W. No go shoot the crap out of it, and enjoy it.

RMD
03-08-2012, 10:41

Thanks for the update. Good to know S&W will take care of me if mine ever needs service - one of the reasons I chose the M&P15 Sport as my first AR.

fowler
03-10-2012, 09:39
I put a $500 Aimpoint on my MP Sport and with Tula 223 ammo it will put 20shots into the eyeball on a Combat target all day with no jams or trouble. At 100yds slow fire with same cheap Tula ammo less than 3" groups of 5 shots. Great rifle and class act.

Contact
03-10-2012, 17:14
I put a $500 Aimpoint on my MP Sport and with Tula 223 ammo it will put 20shots into the eyeball on a Combat target all day with no jams or trouble. At 100yds slow fire with same cheap Tula ammo less than 3" groups of 5 shots. Great rifle and class act.

Thanks for the report, I love this rifle as well. I don't plan to shoot for groups at a distance, but it's good to hear that the rifle is capable of hitting a softball at a hundred yards.