Love my new 1911. Couple of quetions. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Love my new 1911. Couple of quetions.

Tim151515
02-19-2012, 22:57
So I just went to the range today, and now I have put almost thousand rounds through the 1911r1 that I got a couple months ago, my first 1911, and I really like it. I have only had one malfunction, which was within the first 50 rounds, and it was a double feed. However, I do have some questions though.

When I shoot, I am able to be very accurate with it, but not if I look down the sites. I can line it up left and right...but in order to shoot the right heighth I have to focus on making sure the barrel is straight. When I am hitting where I am aiming at, the front site is a little bit higher than the rear site. Is this how all 1911 sites run? Or would a new pair of sites fix this? The reason I ask is because I don't know if I want to get a shorter front site or a new set.

Second, does anyone know where I can buy a 7-rd Remington 1911 mag? On their website I could only find the 8 round mags. I want one that fits flush for more comfortable carry(it came with 2 8 rounders), and I want to stick with factory parts rather than aftermarket if I can.

southernshooter
02-20-2012, 05:12
You must have the enhanced model. My standard model R-1 came with two 7 round mags. I bought a Colt brand 8 round mag and it fits flush. It would probably be easy for you to trade your 8 rounders at a range to someone who has 7 round mags.

MajorD
02-20-2012, 08:39
are you aligning dots on the sights when you use the sights or the sights themselves? you should always use the sights (ignore any dots present)- if the sights are aligned - equal height of rear and equal light on either side of the post- and you fire without distrubing that alignment-the bullets should impact center mass. if a group at say 15 yards develops using this technique measure 2 inches or less and is not centered, tapping the rear sight for left to right adjustment is called for. if the shots are low replacing a fornt sight or filing a very small amount off the front sight is called for. if you are shooting high the only real remedy is a taller front sight

fnfalman
02-20-2012, 10:09
Your sight alignment should be top of front sight flush with top of rear sight, and front sight post is smack dab in the middle of the rear sight.

If you have to misalign the sights in order to hit the target then your sights aren't correctly installed (or maybe not correctly installed for you).

B.Reid
02-20-2012, 10:44
You can always file a little off the front sight, just remember you can't put it back.

Tim151515
02-20-2012, 17:41
are you aligning dots on the sights when you use the sights or the sights themselves? you should always use the sights (ignore any dots present)- if the sights are aligned - equal height of rear and equal light on either side of the post- and you fire without distrubing that alignment-the bullets should impact center mass. if a group at say 15 yards develops using this technique measure 2 inches or less and is not centered, tapping the rear sight for left to right adjustment is called for. if the shots are low replacing a fornt sight or filing a very small amount off the front sight is called for. if you are shooting high the only real remedy is a taller front sight

I am looking down the sites the same way I do when I shoot my Glock, Cz, or my dads beretta. With all of those guns, I am able to hit the 10 ring all day just by using the 3 dots. However, if I use the 3 dots on my 1911..I shoot about a foot low at 15 yards, but still with very tight groups.

Tim151515
02-20-2012, 17:44
You must have the enhanced model. My standard model R-1 came with two 7 round mags. I bought a Colt brand 8 round mag and it fits flush. It would probably be easy for you to trade your 8 rounders at a range to someone who has 7 round mags.

I have the standard, but it is the "Talo" edition. It came with the rosewood grips they sell at their store and 2 8 round mags. I don't want to give up one of the mags that I already have, but I would like to add a reliable 7 round mag. I have just heard some horror stories about offbrand mags not feeding well for various 1911's, and since this one's primary role would be for carry..I would like it to be a Remington brand if possible.