What do you keep in your car? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What do you keep in your car?

Warp
02-19-2012, 23:15
Not in the GHB, for the purpose of getting home, that's covered a lot...just "basic" car emergency/preparedness items?

I am getting semi-serious, with our newer vehicle, of equipping it with all of the likely useful stuff.

The best list I have found is here:

http://www.utahpreppers.com/2009/02/building-a-vehicle-emergency-kit/

Anything major missing from this? (I'm a licensed HAM but no real money for a rig ATM, but later)

I can't type out a complete list of what I have now, I'll have to go physically look at all of it tomorrow during the day.

I will say that looking up a list jogged my memory for some very basic things I did not have, such as a box of spare fuses.

EDIT

Some things I either have in my vehicle (6k lb SUV, 4x4) or have recently ordered:

Basic first aid pouch
3"x30' recovery strap, 30k lb rating
Receiver hitch that accepts a D-shackle; 2 shackles
Jumper cables, 20', 4 gauge, made in USA
Phillips/Flathead screwdriver; two different pliers; fixed blade knife
Duct Tape, some para-cord
Zebralight headlamp, 4D MagLED (I EDC multiple flashlights also and usually have a Thrunite TN11 in the console)
Spare fuse box/kit
Hose repair kit
Drop cloth
Work Gloves
6-7 gallons of water
One container anti-freeze
Road flares, reflective safety vest
Small "auto" fire extinguisher
Full size spare tire (OEM); 1 can fix-a-flat
Poncho/often a jacket or breathable waterproof rain jacket
Full change of clothes, season appropriate
Decent broken in pair of boots
Old/spare pair of eyeglasses
Small portable battery powered and solar rechargeable AM/FM radio

PBCounty
02-20-2012, 00:33
Not much.

My 4X4 pick-up (Ford Ranger) is equipped with a seat belt cutter and knife at hand with a bag containing a Leatherman, tow strap, poncho, flashlight, glow sticks, hatchet, prybar and reflective safety vest. I consider it to be more if a roadside kit than anything else. I guess you could throw the J-frame and speed loader in the glove box into the mix if you'd like.

Dalton Wayne
02-20-2012, 00:36
Safety glasses for working under car

Javelin
02-20-2012, 00:42

You must own a Dodge?

scand
02-20-2012, 00:45
Half empty cans of Grizzly, 1 quart of oil, and 2 packs of Orbits peppermint. Bring on the Apocalypse!!

Warp
02-20-2012, 06:21
Some things I either have in my vehicle (6k lb SUV, 4x4) or have recently ordered:

Basic first aid pouch
Zebralight headlamp, 4D MagLED (I EDC multiple flashlights also and usually have a Thrunite TN11 in the console)
Spare fuse box/kit
Hose repair kit
Drop cloth
Work Gloves
6-7 gallons of water

As I think about it I need to add a quart of oil, a funnel, a spare serpentine belt, some shop rags and whatever tool is needed for the belt's tensioner pulley. *And safety glasses

I am probably forgetting a few things as I made this list without looking in the vehicle.

We travel 700+ miles one way 2-3x per year, BTW. Often it's more like 1k miles one way.

Good call.

quake
02-20-2012, 06:42
Fair number of tools, but they're carried for work purposes, not just emergencies; so not fully "prep" gear, at least not solely. Most anything electrical-work related, plus basic wrenches & such, smallish prybar, phone system "butt-set", etc. Cordless power tools including drill, sawzall, rotozip & even cordless vacuum (gotta keep customers' homes nice). A vehicle-intended fire extinguisher rides near the tool box as well. Do carry safety glasses in back; for that matter, the sunglasses on the visor are actually safety glasses - wileyx 'bricks' iirc.

Up front in the cabin (glove box, console, etc) is normal stuff. Flashlight, multitool, pistol, etc. Keep a case of bottled water in the center of the back seat, where I can reach back & grab one as desired.

Other, mostely emergency-specific stuff rides in a rubbermaid-type tote in the rear by the tool box. Includes tow strap, power inverter, jumper cables, and insulated coveralls (the cold half of the year).

Other, GHB stuff is in another, larger tote and carries much as others have listed for ghb stuff. Clothes, gloves, boots, water purifier, get-home food, etc.

{eidt - almost forgot, an M1 carbine in a heat-sealed bag (inside a soft case) rides in a semi-hidden spot in the vehicle as well; along with spare rounds for it and the handguns.}

kirgi08
02-20-2012, 10:15
Kitchen sink.The variables are vetted by season.'08.

wrenrj1
02-20-2012, 10:27
Just a side note, check your new vehicles jack and tire changing tools, and even try them out. Factory jacks and tools tend to be crap, or at least our Hondas' are. I bought aftermarket jacks/breaker bar and sockets. No time to find out how good/bad they are until you need them.

Otherwise, I carry a duffle bag full of all kinds of stuff and more if I'm traveling out of town. Probably the most important to me is above as well as a charger pack, First Aid kit, and plenty of flashlights and warning gear if my vehicle becomes disabled.

Cream Soda Kid
02-20-2012, 10:45
I carry some of the stuff listed here. I also have a yellow vest with reflective stripes on it like the guys doing road work wear.

You never know when your car might break down and you have to walk along a dark road or street. One of those vests comes in might handy when the street lights are far and few between.

smokeross
02-20-2012, 10:51
Warm clothes, boots, jug of water, tools, jumper cables, stocking hats, granola bars, flashlights, fire starting stuff, mace, gun, ammo, billy club, etc. Now the F250 is another story. It is full behind the seat, and has an across the bed tool box crammed full.

Kieller
02-20-2012, 11:01
Good list so far. I have to say about the only thing have in my truck that you don't have on your list is rachet straps. I love those things and I have a heavy duty version that is capable of over 1ton. Granted this might be more of a truck item but some type of tie down would be nice. (I consider the recovery strap different than a tie down)

John Rambo
02-20-2012, 11:54
Seems to me you're forgettign about a "Man Pack"

Cologne
Deoderant
Toothbrush and Toothpaste
Clean underwear and socks
Pair of Jeans and a T-Shirt
Condoms
Visene
A comb or brush

These should be in your car. If they aren't, you have a problem.

quake
02-20-2012, 19:14
I do have underwear, socks & clothes. Good items to point out; not sure if they were mentioned earlier. :cool:

Cologne
Deoderant
Toothbrush and Toothpaste...
...A comb or brush
I care not if I reek or am unkempt in an emergency situation, at least as long as we're talking just a few days. I do have those things at my workplace & both of the places I spend nights.

...Visene
Visene wouldn't hurt, but I don't have any at home either, and haven't used any in decades afaik. I do have bottled water and a water purifier in the truck if need be. Along those lines (eyes), I do carry clear safety glasses and dark safety glasses in the truck, which help keep out wind, dust, cold, etc.

...Condoms
Don't need them for field-expedient water carrying; which is the only "second" use I know of for them. (I've got bottled water in the truck cabin, and a nalgene bottle & three other 750ml bottles in my ghb gear in the back.) As far as their "first use", I'm a monogamous married man whose wife can't have kids anymore; so no need there either.

AK_Stick
02-20-2012, 19:53
I keep my go bag in the passenger compartment incase I need to work on someone (crash/gunshot etc) and need it right now.

In the trunk I've got a sleeping bag, my jet boil, 3-4 cans of soup, an extra can of fuel. My blow torch, spare tire and tools, box of 50 rounds of ammo, my CLS kit, good boots, gloves, and my carhart cold weather gear.

Warp
02-20-2012, 20:45
Seems to me you're forgettign about a "Man Pack"

Cologne
Deoderant
Toothbrush and Toothpaste
Condoms
Visene
A comb or brush

These should be in your car. If they aren't, you have a problem.

I have (and listed) a complete change of clothes. That includes underwear, socks, pants, t-shirt, hooded sweatshirt and a warm/heavy vest as well as a very light wicking type long sleeve white T-shirt that is excellent for keeping the sun off during the summer. I think I'll put my old belt in there, too, now that I think about it.

No need for condoms, my hair is far too short to comb or brush, I don't do cologne, but I should have deodorant. It gets nasty with time in the summer heat though, is the only problem.

Haldor
02-20-2012, 21:05
Christ it's getting embarrassing:

Emergency Tool Kit
3 Day Pack
Sleeping Bag
Alcohol Stove and cook set
3600 calorie Datex Food Bar
1 gallon water
Water Filter and spare water bottles
Canned Ham
Ramen Noodles
Tube Tent
Tarp
Savage 24C Over/Under 22 LR, 20 Gauge
22 LR, 20 Gauge Slugs, #4 Buck, #6 High Brass Birdshot, spare 9mm (for EDC pistol)
Jumper cables
Triangle Reflectors
Headworn LED flashlight with spare batteries
CB Walkie Talkie
Comprehensive 1st Responder First Aid Kit (contents would fill an entire post).
Wool Blanket
Frog Toggs Rain Suit
Nomex Gloves
Winter Gloves
Windbreaker
Watch Cap
several Bic Lighters, box of matches
Cold Steel Bushman Knife
4' Shovel handle (fits Bushman)
Entrenching tool
Steel Toed Boots
Caution Tape
Nomex jump suit
Hard Hat, eye protection
Binoculars
Plus a lot more stuff that I can't remember at the moment

It is getting harder to fit groceries in the back of my SUV.

JK-linux
02-20-2012, 21:15

Glocker1984
02-20-2012, 21:46
Well.....My GHB (Bag of Evil) is with me 24/7. Though here are somethings I keep in my truck as well:

- More food. (Jerky, MRE's, PowerBar's, etc.)
- Couple gallons of Water.
- 100ft. Rope
- Few tools (Ratchets, Sockets, Screwdrivers, etc.)
- Sleeping bag
- Flashlight w/ Spare Batteries
- Quart of Oil and some Antifreeze

Basically......Just the Basics.

RED64CJ5
02-20-2012, 22:16
I think you need to re-prioritize and spend $150 on a brand new 2m mobile radio and antenna. You need a rig in the car. I'm biased. :)

Warp
02-20-2012, 22:23
I think you need to re-prioritize and spend $150 on a brand new 2m mobile radio and antenna. You need a rig in the car. I'm biased. :)

It's on the list...

...though it's been on the list for quite awhile now. :(

What can you get in the way of a rig and an antenna for $150? That doesn't suck? I don't want a mag-mount or something too big.

Ryan-17
02-20-2012, 22:49
Jumper cables
spare tire
first aid kit

Guess I need to beef up my supplies...

dne752
02-21-2012, 04:53
I try to keep gas in the tank but that's getting harder to do these days...:crying:

Marc1956
02-21-2012, 06:32
Well, after reading several of these posts, I am purchasing a covered trailer to hold everything I need! Wow! Good lists, though.

RED64CJ5
02-21-2012, 07:58
It's on the list...

...though it's been on the list for quite awhile now. :(

What can you get in the way of a rig and an antenna for $150? That doesn't suck? I don't want a mag-mount or something too big.

OK, admittedly I didn't see any good deals on NEW 2m rigs at the moment. They go on closeout almost yearly for $115. Right now you're looking at $150 for the rig alone plus the cost of antenna and mount.

TMB-34B LARSEN $6.95 (plate to hold antenna/very versatile)

NMO-150-B-K LARSEN $49.95 (2m 5/8 wave antenna)

FT-1900R YAESU $154.95 (2m mobile)

So roughly $200. That's if you went new. You could get that radio for half price, or another, if you shop around. If you were leary of installing it in your car yourself, you could take it to a local radio shop who could run the power cabling and antenna wires for no more than $100.

Unistat
02-21-2012, 08:08
The GHBs live in the car, so in addition to those:
-Jumper cables
-Fire extinguisher
-Windshield wiper fluid
-Socket wrench set
-Gas can
-Ice melt
-E-tool
-WD-40
-Duck tape
-Crowbar
-Sledgehammer/axe (splitting maul)

TangoFoxtrot
02-21-2012, 08:30
You must own a Dodge?

Either that or a Chevy:whistling:

What do you keep in your car? A GHB, extra set of cloths, extra water and a G17 with 4 extra mags.

HotGlock
02-21-2012, 10:51
baby wipes

WolfNotSheep
02-21-2012, 11:02
I keep an enhanced shelter kit (wool blanket, poncho/shelter, a spare tarp, and my Eureka solitaire with stakes), a very small and minimalist BOB/GHB, and a small tupperware tote with lots of spare food and water, handwarmers, extra socks and warm clothes, and a small stove and fuel.

quake
02-21-2012, 17:35
Well, after reading several of these posts, I am purchasing a covered trailer to hold everything I need...
:supergrin: I missed that earlier.

Not as bad as you may think, if you pack carefully. I don't carry as much as some do, but still quite a bit; and it fits in two tubs that ride in the back next to my toolbox:
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f360/quake316/preps/Truckboxes-edited.jpg

Black box is tool box, middle tote-box is ghb stuff, and smaller tote-box is vehicle stuff (jumper cables, etc).

Other than a carbine concealed elsewhere, the boots on top of the other tote, flashlight & such in the glovebox and handgun in the console, all my ghb stuff is in the center blue tote. Molle vest with detachable backpack is the basis for it. Includes water purifier with slightly-used 100-gallon element, spare unused 100-gallon element, food for four-plus days, clothes, gps, nalgene bottle/cup/stove setup, three additional 750ml stainless water bottles (good for all kinds of things - one is filled with slim jims now) shelter (I cheat & use 7" aluminum guttering nails for tent stakes since they're lightweight), maps, rifle & pistol magazines, SOG fixed blade knife, leatherman, PD32 flashlight, D300 night vision with ELR-VF IR flashlight and headgear, lighters & other firestarting, drop-leg holster (regular holster doesn't work with pack & hip belt), am/fm/noaa radio, water purification tabs as backup to PUR purifier, first aid items, extra batteries for flashlights, ELR-VF, GPS, and radio (all lithiums - they're lighter than alkalines and last longer), and I'm sure other things that I'm forgetting. Total weight is 26 lbs, but that doesn't include ammo (two 15-round M1 carbine mags and two 15-roung G19 mags), and is with empty water bottles. Total all-included is probably more like 34 or so.

My point isn't "look how much I carry", just that if we pack carefully and pick the container carefully, a whole lot of gear can be made to fit in a smaller space - and with less weight - than one might think.

wrenrj1
02-21-2012, 18:40
Also add a pair of shoes. I throw a pair of my old running shoes in when they're no longer good for their intended purpose.

michael e
02-21-2012, 19:17
I live 3.5 miles from home, on a normal day I keep nothing extra in the car. So a few half bottles of water, maybe a few snacks, and a gun with couple extra mags. Keep flashlight and basic tools in the trunk .

Warp
02-21-2012, 19:22
Also add a pair of shoes. I throw a pair of my old running shoes in when they're no longer good for their intended purpose.

Have (and listed) a pair of boots. ;)

JackMac
02-21-2012, 22:14
my 44 spc. BullDog, a box of cartridges, a leatherman, and a sheath knife

Warp
02-21-2012, 22:19
Quake: What are the dimensions (and/or gallon capacity) of those containers?

quake
02-22-2012, 09:49

Not sure exactly anymore. The larger one is something like 22-25 gallon. Don't know on the smaller one, but hardhat may help give a reference and the boots on top are 15's if that helps.

Commander_Zero
02-22-2012, 10:55
I carry some of the stuff listed here. I also have a yellow vest with reflective stripes on it like the guys doing road work wear.

You never know when your car might break down and you have to walk along a dark road or street. One of those vests comes in might handy when the street lights are far and few between.

I like this. Finally, something I hadn't thought of.

Warp
02-22-2012, 15:53
I like this. Finally, something I hadn't thought of.

FYI: My first list in post #6 or so, two days ago, listed a reflective safety vest.

If you missed that you may want to read my list again, as well as the link I provided to the Utah Preppers page again, in case you missed something else good. ;)

Warp
02-22-2012, 20:09
Also, I somehow forgot to list a portable self contained battery jumper/booster that I just ordered. (old ones are shot and were cheap anyway).

1700 peak amps and 425 cranking amps of sweetness.

3000fps
02-23-2012, 09:52
Not in the GHB, for the purpose of getting home, that's covered a lot...just "basic" car emergency/preparedness items?

I am getting semi-serious, with our newer vehicle, of equipping it with all of the likely useful stuff.

The best list I have found is here:

http://www.utahpreppers.com/2009/02/building-a-vehicle-emergency-kit/

Anything major missing from this? (I'm a licensed HAM but no real money for a rig ATM, but later)

I can't type out a complete list of what I have now, I'll have to go physically look at all of it tomorrow during the day.

I will say that looking up a list jogged my memory for some very basic things I did not have, such as a box of spare fuses.

EDIT

Basic first aid pouch
Spare fuse box/kit
Hose repair kit
Drop cloth
Work Gloves
6-7 gallons of water

OP Check this out, I found it really helpful. This video was created by a former Special Forces Soldier,

http://youtu.be/uA3FAdwJRhs

Radam3
02-23-2012, 10:10
One thing I have that I didn't see here, is a small folding / camping shovel. Also a tub of kitty litter. Both more so for if you get the vehicle stuck, but both could be handy for other things.

Warp
02-23-2012, 11:45
One thing I have that I didn't see here, is a small folding / camping shovel. Also a tub of kitty litter. Both more so for if you get the vehicle stuck, but both could be handy for other things.

I've thought about that and will pick up some kind of shovel before winter.

If we lived further north it would already be included, but Georgia winters and Michigan winters don't really compare. :)

NDCent
02-23-2012, 12:52
Coat
sweat pants and T shirt
2 bath towels
2 pair jersey gloves
2 bottles water
space blanket
toilet paper and moist towelettes
jumper cables
snatch/tow strap
12 volt flashlight
multi bit screwdriver
channel lock pliers
duct and electrical tape
2 cans fix a flat
some cash and coins

I'm not bugging anywhere but home. Cell has emergency numbers stored.

My personal edc covers, cell phone, money, credit card, firearm, knife, flashlight.

Didn't realize I had that much **** in there. :embarassed:

quake
02-23-2012, 15:09
One thing I have that I didn't see here, is a small folding / camping shovel...

I donít carry a shovel, which may be odd considering all the tools I do carry, but I like the GSI ďCatholeĒ trowel. Itís an improved version of the old orange camping trowel; stronger, and with slight serrations as well. Thing is so inexpensive itís silly; typically $3-$5 online. Shipping runs anywhere from $3-$10. I paid $7.07 (total, including shipping) for one recently from an ebay store: http://stores.ebay.com/CoolGearCorp/_i.html?_nkw=cathole&_sid=280631175

Itís not a true replacement for a genuine shovel, but good for creating a runoff trench around a tent perimeter, septic holes, etc, and weighs only 3 oz iirc. Iíve not been a fan of the little folding trowels, but these are substantially stouter than the others Iíve encountered.

Warp
02-23-2012, 16:41
I just picked up one of these: (rubbermaid 35 gallon storage tote)

Amazon.com: Rubbermaid 1191 ActionPacker Storage Box, 35-Gallon: Home & Kitchen@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/414ygB2OoRL.@@AMEPARAM@@414ygB2OoRL

(click the picture, not the link)

It currently contains:

JNC660 power supply/jump starter in factory supplied cardboard (great for storage)
20' 4gauge jumper cables
3"x30' tow strap
Hitch + 2 D-shackles
Screwdrivers, pliers, wrench, ka-bar
Full change of clothes with vest and sweatshirt
Boots
1 bottle anti-freeze, 1 quart oil
10' rope, assorted tie-downs and straps, paracord
Duct Tape
64oz water bottle (mostly filled), Coast Guard style emergency rations
Poncho, survival blanket/poncho, baseball cap, panama jack wide brim hat
Basic first aid pouch
6 pack 30 minute road flares
120pc auto fuse kit
On the way: Fire extinguisher, radiator hose repair kit, better reflective safety vest (the one that came with the flares turns out to kinda suck)

And probably a thing or two I forgot about.

The clothing takes up 20-25% of the space and it still has a little bit of potential room, especially if I were to really Tetris-pack it all in there or put the jumper starter in 'naked'

BulldawgGlock
02-24-2012, 10:05
In the F-150: Ruger GP100, Copenhagen Long Cut, Flashlight(s), Jumper Cables, Basic Hand Tools, Orbit Cinnamon, Bolt Cutters, Dog Leash, 357 Ammo, 25' Logging Chain, Costa Sun Glasses, etc.

Unistat
02-24-2012, 10:31
One thing I have that I didn't see here, is a small folding / camping shovel...

That would be the e-tool from my list.

Bolster
02-24-2012, 11:20
Living in LA, my entire GHB is stored inside a cooler in the back of the car. Moderates the temperatures somewhat. Liquids stored at the bottom of the cooler (double bagged) so a leak can cause minimal damage (in theory).

quake
02-24-2012, 14:50

Fwiw, when I posted that pic, I didn't realize it was old. The center tub was replaced a while back with a slightly larger one when I added a small tent to my gear (I used to just carry a small ďtarp tentĒ type of thing). The new tub still fits in the same spot, just very slightly larger & maybe half-inch taller.

The new center one (different from the pic) is a sterilite 22-gallon, and the smaller one is an older sterilite 38-qt one. Beyond that one small change, itís still the same. Even still carry my hardhat & spare boots in the same place.

Warp
02-24-2012, 15:13
In the F-150: Ruger GP100, Copenhagen Long Cut, Flashlight(s), Jumper Cables, Basic Hand Tools, Orbit Cinnamon, Bolt Cutters, Dog Leash, 357 Ammo, 25' Logging Chain, Costa Sun Glasses, etc.

Dog leash!

I need to add one or two of those.

Tim808
02-24-2012, 22:51
I've added a large sledgehammer to my van.

Just in case your rim is "stuck" and you can't just pull it off and don't want to or are unable to drive back and forth on your flat tire to loosen the rim.

It happened to me last week.

BulldawgGlock
02-25-2012, 06:57
Dog leash!

I need to add one or two of those.

I travel with my dog a lot, having a spare leash in the truck was a savior when my truck broke down in the middle of July. I was able to tie my dog up to a tree in the shade while I worked on my truck on the side of I-75 and not have to leave him in sweltering truck.

chevy01234
02-25-2012, 09:31
Right now in my truck (F250) off the top of my head there is the following:

1 bottle Polo Blue
1 Bottle Armani Code
1 bottle Germ-X
1 bottle Aleve
1 pack of gum
1 bottle Pepto Bismol
1 Streamlight SL-20 flashlight and charger
1 Oneida Osprey bowfishing bow
2 1/2 dozen bowfishing arrows
3 pairs of gloves (1 bowfishing set, 1 leather set, 1 cotton set)
Latex gloves
Small first aid kit (mainly super glue and bandaids with some disinfecting wipes for cuts)
Sunscreen
Ipod/Aux cable/charger
Keys (way too many dang keys)
I have a Mud River 2-barrel mat on my back seat for the dogs/hunting season
Usually have an AR with 4 spare mags behind my seat if i'm traveling but its not in there all the time.
My EDC of the day, either 23/35/jframe

Small "GHB" which has the following:
MRE/Water/Solar blanket/spare 223 ammo/Ruger LCP with 3 magazines and extra box of ammo/Map of MS/ Knife/Sog Multi tool/Hooded Sweatshirt/socks/flashlight

H&R Snake Tamer 410 shotgun and a box of ammo (critter gun for the farm this time of year)
Probably 3-4 random boxes of Ammo, I know there is a box of 280 Rem, 35 Whelen, 22LR, and 12 gauge steel shot, I imagine there is more I haven't noticed lately.
Cutco skinning knife
Binoculars and Range Finder
Inverter (I use a laptop in my truck for work)
dog leashes (several)
hand warmers
Inflatable life vest since I am on the water a good bit (when it is cold, I replace that with a float coat)

In my toolbox, there are tools (a lot of them), ratchet straps, bungee cords, zip ties, duct tape, electrical tape, jack, tennis balls (for my dogs), water, jumper cables, chain, tow strap, dove stool, a couple more boxes of 12 gauge, flash light, a brick, tire gauge, air compressor (small 12v), gun oil, boresnake for 12 gauge, trash bags, machete, more gloves, reflective vest, Boat plugs, Oil, WD40, surveyors tape (pink and orange), measuring cup, I think there may be a starter for a 496 motor in there somewhere.

Yep, it's a bunch of crap but I work out of my truck. I spend more time in my truck than I do at the house it seems! Most of the little stuff is in the console and glove compartment. GHB and bowfishing bow are on the back seat right now. These are not "survival items" or anything, just things I use on a regular basis (minus the GHB).