Buying FIRST handgun, couple questions <<<<<<<<<<<<<<< [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Buying FIRST handgun, couple questions <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Djs9687
02-20-2012, 01:48
Hey,

Its tax return time and im in the mood to buy a new/first handgun. Ive been doing alot of research and narrowing down my decision for the right first handgun. A quick little bit of info, ive chosen to go with the 9mm as the caliber, going to be used as weekend shooter/home defense. And im a lefty.

Ok that being said ive chosen a couple guns that have really caught my eye...

- CZ 85 B
- Glock 17 Gen 4
- CZ 75 SP-01 Phantom

Like I said all three in 9mm....The first two guns are ambidextrous which obviously I want. But that leads me to my next question, I really like the CZ Phantom. I have heard nothing but good reviews on it, but to my knowledge its non ambidextrous...so...how common is it for south paws to own non ambidextrous guns? How does that generally work out? Thanks guys.

Metal Angel
02-20-2012, 01:58
I know a few lefties who shoot right handed for that reason... Something to think about. Even most ambi guns only have the slide stop on one side.

Javelin
02-20-2012, 02:00
I'd recommend grabbing that Glock. Out of those 3 it will be the one that you'll still have 20 years from now.

On second thought maybe look at a G19...

:wavey:

gruntmedik
02-20-2012, 02:07
Walther PPQ has mag release and slide release on BOTH sides.

jbarnes85
02-20-2012, 02:10
Like you I am new to glock. Just bought my first one two weeks ago. Got a G27. However I'm not new to buying guns and something I have learned "good" guns don't lose there value that much so if you do buy one of the three and don't like it you can resale it and not lose that much money.

Metal Angel
02-20-2012, 02:23
I don't have any experience with cz, but I hear they are awesome... And I know Glocks are awesome. I really don't think you can go wrong with that selection, but I would add a Glock 19 to the list. Love my 19 to death.

Djs9687
02-20-2012, 02:36
I don't have any experience with cz, but I hear they are awesome... And I know Glocks are awesome. I really don't think you can go wrong with that selection, but I would add a Glock 19 to the list. Love my 19 to death.

Just curious, but if this gun wont be a CCW for me whats the benefits of the G19 over the G17?

kgjl
02-20-2012, 03:06
Just curious, but if this gun wont be a CCW for me whats the benefits of the G19 over the G17?
If you never plan to CC, go with the 17, or maybe a 34.

Kloogee
02-20-2012, 03:17
Have you had a look at the Smith & Wesson M&P line of guns? They match up very nicely in the category you are looking at and are made in the good ol' US of A.

M&P15T
02-20-2012, 04:17
Like you I am new to glock. Just bought my first one two weeks ago. Got a G27. However I'm not new to buying guns and something I have learned "good" guns don't lose there value that much so if you do buy one of the three and don't like it you can resale it and not lose that much money.

Sorry to tell you this, but the Obama gun sales run has put so many used firearms on the market, and brought so many new firearms to market, that selling a used firearm means you are going to take a brutal financial beating by doing so.

JaPes
02-20-2012, 07:29
...ive chosen a couple guns that have really caught my eye...

- CZ 85 B
- Glock 17 Gen 4
- CZ 75 SP-01 Phantom

Out of the three, my choice would be the CZ75. Your purpose of use is home defense & weekend range time.

IMO the full size CZ75 provides a new shooter the right combination of tools to be able to shoot well. Long sight radius, ergonomic grip, heavy steel construction that helps mitigate recoil.

#2 choice would be the Glock.

im a lefty.

]Walther PPQ has mag release and slide release on BOTH sides.[/B]

^^^ This. I shot a friend's PPQ. I found the grip to be real comfortable. I liked the trigger. The ambi-mag safety levers were odd at first, but I got used to it easy.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=13152&storeId=10002&categoryId=769157&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=43326&top_category=43326

PlasticGuy
02-20-2012, 08:41
I love the CZ pistols. If the CZ85 fits you, and the controls work well for your left handedness, buy it.

MajorD
02-20-2012, 08:57
ambi controls (except safeties on 1911's and similar guns) are no big deal- since you are learning from the gorund floor it is just a technique thing.(make sure to learn from a skilled lefty!) I simply use my left index finger to control the mag release and slide catch/release functions. actually works better than if you are right handed since when practiced requires no shift of your grip

Murgatroy
02-20-2012, 09:11
Southpaw here. Right eye dominant. I learned to shoot right handed rifle and pistol. Works for me.

If I was left eyed dominant I probably would have learned left handed. However like most southpaws, I have learned to adapt quickly.

One of the upsides is that when I do shoot weakhand (which isn't really weakhand) I can operate the gun fine as I am as dexterous if not more so on the left side. I find that my index finger can hit the slide release and magazine release. Making it a moot point for ambidextrous controls.

KarlThomas
02-20-2012, 09:17
I like all of them, but I think I would be the happiest with the 75. It's all personal preference though. I'm really only into sub compact glocks. To each his own.

AngryPanda
02-20-2012, 09:57
It is very common for southpaws to shoot a right handed gun, for a long time that was the only option. Really it does not matter much, learn to eject the mag with your finger instead of thumb and that is about it. I never use my slide release anyway except to lock the slide back so I could care less where it is located.

stsai465
02-20-2012, 10:02
Take a look at this list:

http://best9mm.com/

Don't agree w/ everything, but some good choices here.

Tim151515
02-20-2012, 10:04
Hey,

Its tax return time and im in the mood to buy a new/first handgun. Ive been doing alot of research and narrowing down my decision for the right first handgun. A quick little bit of info, ive chosen to go with the 9mm as the caliber, going to be used as weekend shooter/home defense. And im a lefty.

Ok that being said ive chosen a couple guns that have really caught my eye...

- CZ 85 B
- Glock 17 Gen 4
- CZ 75 SP-01 Phantom

Like I said all three in 9mm....The first two guns are ambidextrous which obviously I want. But that leads me to my next question, I really like the CZ Phantom. I have heard nothing but good reviews on it, but to my knowledge its non ambidextrous...so...how common is it for south paws to own non ambidextrous guns? How does that generally work out? Thanks guys.

Do yourself a favor and get a cz. I would say the 85 over the 75, for one its ambi, and second it just looks a lot better. the sp-01 is a great gun, but they take everything that makes the cz 75 look beautiful(IMO)...and they flush it down the toilet. That rail just hurts my eyes. But I would still choose it over a glock. You can get a glock for cheap any time...but do yourself a favor and make your first handgun not only just as good in use as any other modern handgun...but it will also be somewhat of a keepsake.

itstime
02-20-2012, 10:09
I would take a hard look at the Walther PPQ.

I'm a lefty and have either owned or shot about everything out there.

This gun is the highest ony list now for plastic pistols.

Some of the ambi guns out there such as the M&P for me the controls are about useless even though it is ambi. I find guns such as a H&K USP with the slide lock/release on the left easier to manipulate than most ambi setups.

I would take the comments here and Aldo go to a large store if not to buy hold and play with as many guns as you can.

whoops dude
02-20-2012, 11:30
I shoot left handed and my glock is really easy to operate. you'll adapt no matter what gun you get.

GermanyBound
02-20-2012, 15:30
Out of the 3 you list, I would pick the Phantom. If it's just going to be a range/hd gun, have you looked at the FNX-9? Ambi saftey, slide release, mag release.

02-20-2012, 15:39
You can use the G17 mag in the G19, but not vice versa.

Nestor
02-20-2012, 16:17
CZ 85 Combat with the Kadet kit.

raven11
02-20-2012, 16:22
I own a Glock 19 , Walther P99 , P5, Sig 228 , cz 85 combat, HK p7 ,1911 , and shot the m9 Hk USP9 , Glock 17 ,22

all left handed- as long as you practice with it you should have no problem shooting left handed

TexasGlockster
02-20-2012, 17:50
You can use the G17 mag in the G19, but not vice versa.

Add to that fact that some people simply prefer the slightly smaller size of the 19.

ChicagoZman
02-20-2012, 18:08
Love to shoot the CZs, but think the Glock will better serve you for combined range/HD use. More options available for accessories, holsters, etc. and likely better long term reliability.

Regarding the controls, you can reverse the magazine catch on the Glock to use it with your left hand and the slide stop being on the left side of the gun affects nothing if you train using the overhand or slingshot method of releasing the slide.

NEOH212
02-20-2012, 18:33
Sorry to tell you this, but the Obama gun sales run has put so many used firearms on the market, and brought so many new firearms to market, that selling a used firearm means you are going to take a brutal financial beating by doing so.

Isn't that the truth! I'm amazed every time I stop at the local gun store. I can't believe how many used guns they have and at a pretty good price! We'll see if it happens again this year.:whistling:

NEOH212
02-20-2012, 18:34
I vote for the Glock. :supergrin:

cfr
02-20-2012, 18:50
If I was only going to own one pistol, it would be a 19. Being able to go anywhere and get parts/ service when needed gives me warm fuzzines.

These are all entirely different types of pistols.

Rather than asking for our opinions, you need to first consider things like if you want striker fired/ if you want SA/ DA/ if you want a manual safety/ if you want heavy as opposed to light for less recoil/ etc. Until you figure out which of these things works for you, it really doesnt matter what anyone else thinks IMO.

Djs9687
02-21-2012, 23:21
Thanks a lot guys for all the feedback, besides My 3 listed it looked like many suggested the Walther PPQ and the HK USP. I looked at both, nice guns but more then I'm willing to spend honestly. To answer Cfr's reply I really like hammer design pistols with DA/SA, that's why I like the CZ 85 and Phantom. I made a consideration for Glock though. With that being said I really like the SIG P226 line of pistols but are way out of my price range. I did see though on there site they sell certified per-owned sig guns that have been traded in by law enforcement and military etc. Thoughts? Spending limit is $600-650 and Im only looking for a full size pistol. No compacts. Sorry forgot to mention that.

candyteggy
02-21-2012, 23:54
Out of the three, my choice would be the CZ75. Your purpose of use is home defense & weekend range time.

IMO the full size CZ75 provides a new shooter the right combination of tools to be able to shoot well. Long sight radius, ergonomic grip, heavy steel construction that helps mitigate recoil.

#2 choice would be the Glock.

since your asking this on a glock forum, most people will be a little bias on the glock 17, which is a great choice.

But overall i agree with the cz75, since your going to be using it as a range gun, cz75's is probli the most accurate pistol for range gun in my opinion. The trigger can take a little getting use to at first, but it smooths out nicely after you break it in.

BrewerGeorge
02-22-2012, 00:51
Add to that fact that some people simply prefer the slightly smaller size of the 19.
Count me as one of those. The 19 is just barely smaller than the 17. By modern standards, I'd call the 19 full sized and the 17 "duty sized" or something similar, not compact as Glock calls it. I find it a bit handier, and you're only giving up one round. There is the added benefit that it's a little bit easier to carry anywhere, CCW or not. Say in a glove box or car console on your way to the range (if legal in your area). Take less room in the nightstand drawer, too.

TnGlocker12
02-22-2012, 11:36
Walther PPQ has mag release and slide release on BOTH sides.

^^^^^^^
I own a couple of Glocks, but I'm thinking seriously of getting one of these. Do yourself a favor and check out some reviews of this gun.

SpringerTGO
02-22-2012, 13:17
I'm left handed also. For a first, home defense and all around handgun, I wouldn't be too concerned about the ambi safety. For a CCW gun I would be concerned, depending on the make/model.
That said, the Walther would still be way high on the list of guns to buy. You've set a budget, but anyone here will tell you, if you don't get what you want this time, you'll end up getting it the next time, or time after that. I doubt you will get away with buying your first handgun right, and staying on budget.

Best of luck to you.

KarlThomas
02-22-2012, 13:24
It just hit me that you should probably consider the beretta 92 series if you are looking for a full size 9mm and prefer da/sa.