Are folding shotgun stocks useful? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Are folding shotgun stocks useful?

frank4570
02-20-2012, 07:57
I use my 870 for the occasional waterfowl hunting, and I keep it around the house for predators. I would like to make it a bit more compact for moving around, but I don't want to do that at the expense of an actual good stock.
I've never used a collapsible stock but they look to me like they would not be great.
Any experiences would be appreciated.
Thanks.

M2 Carbine
02-20-2012, 08:40
I haven't had a folding stock shotgun but I do have PGO (pistol grip only) shotguns and folding stock rifles.

The compact guns are handy for car guns, moving through the house and handy to grab and go if necessary.

Usually when looking after a neighbor's place I'd grab one of the short guns and throw it on the front car seat when I drove to their place.

And the short gun is handy when checking outside at night.

AngryPanda
02-20-2012, 10:01
Short answer is , no not really. Not for most people anyway.

Deployment Solu
02-20-2012, 10:37
I've got an 870 with a Top folding Choate Stock and one with a Choate M4 Telescoping side folding stock. Both are rock solid and useful stocks. They lock up solid and make for a compact package.

Spiffums
02-20-2012, 10:38
I think people prefer the AR type stock over the folding type.

SolidGun
02-20-2012, 10:47
They are useful for tight hallways, tight corners, inside a vehicle, over barriers, storage. I also found them easier to carry when having a backpack with a shotgun scabbard to keep things tight.

Angry Fist
02-20-2012, 10:49
I like the folder on the Saiga, but without additional parts, they don't work with drums, or coupled mags. It must be unfolded to change a coupled mag.

Metal Angel
02-20-2012, 11:02
I used the kind that fold up on top (not sure what it's called but you see them on the SPAS12). It was horrible. You couldn't aim worth beans with it folded up, and folded out against your shoulder it would hit your cheek so hard it felt like someone was punching you in the face every time you pull the trigger.

I'm sure the AR15 types with the nice cheek rest would work good.

John Biltz
02-20-2012, 11:06
They can be. I had one on a Mossberg several years ago. If you get one get one with a good recoil pad.

USMC03Grunt
02-20-2012, 21:04
I have an 870 with a Remington top fold stock. First off, the stories of what I have heard about them being uncomfortable to shoot and cutting cheeks has been completely opposite from my experience. That being said, I generally keep it extended at all times. I will fold it when storage space dictates it but I don't fire it that way. When you fire a shotgun with the stock folded, it's nothing more than a PGO stock and includes all the vices that design carries with it. For tight storage goes though, they are pretty decent.