Conceal Carry in PA [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Conceal Carry in PA

cpham9006
02-20-2012, 09:20
I have a CCW permit in North Carolina. I am traveling to PA and will be staying there for about a week. Anything different about the laws in PA I need to know compared to NC?

In NC, be responsible (of course) and basically dont carry at schools, banks, or any federal place.

ChicagoZman
02-20-2012, 09:47
I always look here before I travel: http://www.handgunlaw.us/ (http://www.handgunlaw.us/)

Arc Angel
02-20-2012, 10:19
Here’s a list of the North Carolina statutes that do NOT APPLY while you’re in Pennsylvania:

Places Off-Limits (In NC) Even With A Permit/License

1. Assemblies and establishments where admission was charged. §14-269.3

2. Assemblies and establishments where alcohol is both sold and consumed. §14-269.3

3. Events Occurring in Public: It shall be unlawful for any person participating in, affiliated with, or present as a spectator at any parade, funeral procession, picket line, or demonstration upon any private health care facility or upon any public place owned or under the control of the State or any of its political subdivisions to willfully or intentionally possess or have immediate access to any dangerous weapon. §14-277.2 *1

4. On any private premises where notice that carrying a concealed handgun is prohibited by the posting of a conspicuous notice or statement by the person in legal possession or control of the premises. *2

ADDED: One more thing to keep in mind while you're here: It's a good idea not to ever store your sidearm inside your vehicle while you're off and about somewhere else. The pistol should remain under your direct control at all times.

(If you go to a PA courthouse, do not temporarily store your sidearm in the car's trunk. Take it into the courthouse and let the guards remove and store it for you while you're there.)

I've read internet, 'horror stories' about people who did this, had their vehicles either broken into or stolen and, thereafter, had their LTCF's yanked by a vindictive sheriff or city prosecutor.

Philadelphia is well-known for this type of vengeful action. Always remember, you are responsible for any illegal use or harm to others caused by the irresponsible loss of your sidearm.

*1 Subject to interpretation. All public schools, and courthouses are verboten all of the time; however, there are permissible defenses to such a charge. (The trick is to avoid the charge!)

*2 Such signs are rarely used in PA. The only exception I know of is inside any of the federal monument buildings in Philadelphia. While you can carry throughout the city, state and national parks, you will be notified by signage at the door that you are not allowed to carry inside one of these buildings.

(I have no idea, 'Why'? Seems like an arbitrary law. I, also, have no idea what Pennsylvania's position is on concealed carry during a civil riot? Personally, I've never seen this question broached before.)

KiloBravo
02-20-2012, 10:36
To the best of my understanding, after reviewing the laws quite a bit...

Only places legally off limits is federal buildings such as courthouses, and PUBLIC schools grade K-12. Pretty much everything else is good to go. Signs posted on business carry no legal weight, but you will be charged with trespassing if you do not comply with a request to leave. If you conceal your firearm, it should not be an issue.

Have a fun trip. :wavey:

JuneyBooney
02-20-2012, 23:59
I have a CCW permit in North Carolina. I am traveling to PA and will be staying there for about a week. Anything different about the laws in PA I need to know compared to NC?

In NC, be responsible (of course) and basically dont carry at schools, banks, or any federal place.

Philly is not Pa but some foreign planet. Other than that have fun and just no schools or fed buildings for the most part.

NEOH212
02-21-2012, 01:09
Ohio should take a lesson from PA as to how CC should be.

KiloBravo
02-21-2012, 11:25
Ohio should take a lesson from PA as to how CC should be.

We also got the Castle Doctrine finally signed into law late last year as well, which I am especially psyched about. There have already been at least 2 cases that I can think of that could potentially save the citizens from any civil blowback if cleared criminally. :wavey:

lethal tupperwa
02-21-2012, 12:05
maryland, if you go through, is also another planet.

rpew1
02-21-2012, 23:25
maryland, if you go through, is also another planet.

True.