How do you tell if a flash hider is pinned? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : How do you tell if a flash hider is pinned?

jbp84
02-20-2012, 10:27
I have a RRA mid-length I bought on-line. It came with the RRA aluminum free-float tube. I want to replace the tube with a MOE handguard. How can I tell if the flash hider is permanently pinned in place or not? I don't see any screws or welds or anything, but if it's permanently pinned I won't be able to remove the front sight assembly.

Also, I'm going to have to replace the barrel nut and install a delta ring, correct?

Thanks for the help!

faawrenchbndr
02-20-2012, 12:01
Is it a 14.5" or 16" barrel?

surf
02-20-2012, 12:42
Out of curiosity why are you going this route?

DirectDrive
02-20-2012, 13:16
I have a RRA mid-length I bought on-line. It came with the RRA aluminum free-float tube. I want to replace the tube with a MOE handguard.
How can I tell if the flash hider is permanently pinned in place or not?
There's a good chance that it's not pinned if your barrel is 16" not measuring the flash hider.
If it's pinned (barrel is less than 16") you should be able to see the welded pin on one side of the FH.

I don't see any screws or welds or anything, but if it's permanently pinned I won't be able to remove the front sight assembly.
The pinned FH can be removed but generally the FH has to be destroyed in the process.

Also, I'm going to have to replace the barrel nut and install a delta ring, correct?

Yes, you'll need a milspec barrel nut instead of the special threaded one that you have now.

You will also need a "Delta Ring Assembly" which includes a "weld spring", a snap ring as well as the delta ring.

You will also need a handguard endcap (triangle works well with MOE) and a gas block butted up to the end cap.
The MOE handguard was designed around the USGI FSB style gas block. If you want iron sights you need to choose the correct gas block whether it's FSB or aftermarket.
IOW, you can't mount sights on the MOE and still be considered a wise man. :)

This is not a good project IMO and I like the MOE. (especially if your FH is pinned)
I would leave this barrel as is and get another that was already set up correctly for the MOE handguard.

You could sell off the upper as an assembly or sell just the barrel/handguard in the Equipment Exchange.

jbp84
02-20-2012, 20:34
Out of curiosity why are you going this route?

I like the look and feel of the MOE handguard. I already have the MOE stock and pistol grip in FDE, so I want to add the handguard so everything matches. This is a purely plinking/fun gun. There's no real reason other than aesthetics.

jbp84
02-20-2012, 20:37
Is it a 14.5" or 16" barrel?

It's 16"

WoodenPlank
02-20-2012, 20:51
For what you want to accomplish, you may be better off selling the current upper, and using the funds to purchase an upper than works with standard handguards. As is, you are going to need to make some significant changes to the rifle to go back to standard handguards.

jbp84
02-20-2012, 20:53
You will also need a handguard endcap (triangle works well with MOE) and a gas block butted up to the end cap.
The MOE handguard was designed around the USGI FSB style gas block. If you want iron sights you need to choose the correct gas block whether it's FSB or aftermarket.
IOW, you can't mount sights on the MOE and still be considered a wise man. :)

This is not a good project IMO and I like the MOE. (especially if your FH is pinned)
I would leave this barrel as is and get another that was already set up correctly for the MOE handguard.

You could sell off the upper as an assembly or sell just the barrel/handguard in the Equipment Exchange.

The barrel's 16", and I don't see a welded pin anywhere, so I think I should be able to remove the FH without damaging it or the barrel. (I hope). Thanks for the advice. This is my first AR, and I appreciate the knowledge.

I should have mentioned...it has a front sight block. Assuming I don't damage it while removing it, I'll be able to re-use it right? RRA sells a delta ring kit for $10, barrel nut is $6.50 and a handguard end cap for $2. I'm sure I could probably find them even cheaper if I looked around.

Out of curiosity...why don't you think this is a good project? Do you mean if the FH is pinned and can't be removed, or just in general? Like I said, I'm new at this so I appreciate the advice.

WoodenPlank
02-20-2012, 20:58
Out of curiosity...why don't you think this is a good project? Do you mean if the FH is pinned and can't be removed, or just in general? Like I said, I'm new at this so I appreciate the advice.

Just general. Anything involving removal of the barrel nut is usually not a project to be taken lightly, especially by an AR newbie.

Patriot III
02-20-2012, 21:13
I'm sure there's someone out there with an RRA carbine upper with standard handguards that would be more than happy to trade with you.

jbp84
02-20-2012, 22:03
I'm sure there's someone out there with an RRA carbine upper with standard handguards that would be more than happy to trade with you.

Yeah, after the advice of others and reading some stuff elsewhere, I think selling/trading is the way to go.

Reb 56
02-20-2012, 22:37
I'd much rather have a free float tube than a MOE, why not get some FDE rail guards?

faawrenchbndr
02-21-2012, 06:32
Yeah, after the advice of others and reading some stuff elsewhere, I think selling/trading is the way to go.

I would suggest sending the upper to a Shop like Adco.
Better off reconfiguring your upper the way you want it,
vs, starting with a used, unknown condition, upper.

DirectDrive
02-21-2012, 13:38
I would suggest sending the upper to a Shop like Adco.
Better off reconfiguring your upper the way you want it,
vs, starting with a used, unknown condition, upper.
Nah.
He'd have more into the project than just selling off and re-purchasing.

DirectDrive
02-21-2012, 13:39
I'd much rather have a free float tube than a MOE, why not get some FDE rail guards?
The OP probably doesn't care what you like.
He said he wants a MOE handguard.

DirectDrive
02-21-2012, 13:48
Yep.
It can be done, but it's doing it the hard way.

Here's what I did on my last one....

16" Wilson barrel, Wylde chamber, stainless, A2 FH, F-height FSB, HBAR contour, triangle end cap
$219 from Legal Transfers

I put a MOE HG on it. I do not find it heavy and would not want a slimmer contour.

Pete at LT is a little weird IMO, no people skills, so get your ship date confirmed before money changes hands.
He's OK but sometimes he'll ship slow if you don't hold his feet to fire.

faawrenchbndr
02-21-2012, 14:04
Nah.
He'd have more into the project than just selling off and re-purchasing.

Possibly,.......but he would know the history of the upper.
Adco would not charge very much for this, I would guess $100 max!

DirectDrive
02-21-2012, 18:22
Possibly,.......but he would know the history of the upper.
Adco would not charge very much for this, I would guess $100 max!
Looks like it would be $160 plus shipping/ins.

OP could probably sell off barrel assembly #1 to fund barrel assembly #2 and just about break even.

faawrenchbndr
02-21-2012, 18:28
Looks like it would be $160 plus shipping/ins.

OP could probably sell off barrel assembly #1 to fund barrel assembly #2 and just about break even.

Damn,........like I've said, dealing with a upper/barrel assy
that he knows the history of is better than an unknown!

Just my opinion, but it just makes more sense.

jbp84
02-21-2012, 22:32
I appreciate the help and advice from everyone. I've got some good options to think about now.

DirectDrive
02-22-2012, 00:43
Damn,........like I've said, dealing with a upper/barrel assy
that he knows the history of is better than an unknown!

Just my opinion, but it just makes more sense

The unknown ?? This is not deep space travel.
That's why you buy from reputable vendors that are willing to back their products.

:upeyes:

Sorry OP and good luck with the project.

:)

faawrenchbndr
02-22-2012, 08:21
The unknown ?? This is not deep space travel.
That's why you buy from reputable vendors that are willing to back their products.

:upeyes:

The ONLY way the OP will NOT lose money doing it you way,
is to sell his upper and buy a used one. Thus the "unknown
condition".

DirectDrive
02-22-2012, 09:07
jbp84

Please check your PM's

DD