Supressed pistol for home defense [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Supressed pistol for home defense

3000fps
02-20-2012, 11:57
Here is a video of a guy testing out various suppressed pistols inside his home to get a good idea of what it would sound like in the event you ever had to use one. I've seen this question posted a few times here before so I figured i'd share.

http://youtu.be/c2GchQ3orB0

Airborne Infantryman
02-20-2012, 12:09
Interesting vid.....

I do hope his wife never found out about him shooting his pistols in the house......Lord knows, my wife about had a heart attack when she came home to me grilling in the kitchen with the back door open on a rainy day. :whistling: My wife would place said pistol where the sun doesn't shine if she found out I was shooting my pistol inside. :supergrin:

stricky
02-20-2012, 12:16
A suppressed 22? Why?

I know that if I am in a self defense situation I am really worried about ear protection.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Javelin
02-20-2012, 12:31
A suppressed 22? Why?

I know that if I am in a self defense situation I am really worried about ear protection.

Maybe not from a suppressed .22LR but from my .40 or AR I sure am. These guys that are doing the forced breaking and entering sometimes are not alone.

And that blast from the gun in an enclosed hallway or bedroom is enough to lose all senses. But what do I know, why not try it for yourself.

:rofl:

Thx-1138
03-07-2012, 12:25
A suppressed 22? Why?

'Cause? - Mal Reynolds

Fun. - Me.

ronin.45
03-07-2012, 14:10
That video is from a GT member. I believe he included the .22 just to show what it sounds like.

A suppressed handgun would be an excellent choice for HD.

ralph dhur
03-07-2012, 14:19
at last a reason to own one. in home use makes more sense that using for carry. just my opinion

Bren
03-07-2012, 14:21
That video is from a GT member.

How could it not be?

IV Troop
03-07-2012, 14:27
To be honest, I don't know a guy who has a .22 pistol with a can who hasn't shot inside his house..

I would say most have used their centerfires too.

Nutt51
03-07-2012, 16:12
I can appreciate the simplicity of it.
You could drop an intruder inside your house, put him into the back of your truck and take him down the road, throw him in a ditch, and be back home and in bed, not ever waking the dog, the little lady, or the kids.
All the while thinking, dang that was quiet, money well spent.

Gdirty5
03-07-2012, 16:17
I have shot 22, 9mm, and 45 indoors suppressed. With the right suppressor and ammo it is fairly hearing safe. 9mm and 45 sounds about the same in loudness just different tones.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a72/disgookonfiya/991c2ecd.jpg

uhlawpup
03-07-2012, 17:44
I see no value.

If I have to shoot in the house, I want the person I am shooting at to know he or she has made a bad mistake, even if I miss.

03-07-2012, 17:48
If you shoot and kill/wound someone in the house with a suppressed firearm, there's going to be some explaining to do. Not to mention how the media would spin it. How many would want to deal with that?

Z71bill
03-07-2012, 17:54
I see no value.

If I have to shoot in the house, I want the person I am shooting at to know he or she has made a bad mistake, even if I miss.

I think that even with a suppressor - a 9MM or 45 ACP is still LOUD.

I don't think it is like the old James Bond movie where it just a PFFT sound.

:dunno:

When I was a kid I use to shoot rats in an old abandon farm house (owner knew didn't care)

Shooting a .22 rifle was not that bad inside - but a 12 gauge (no hearing protection) was REALLY REALLY LOUD. My ears rang for a few days -

KennyFSU
03-07-2012, 17:58
I'll just buy a Red Jacket suppressed Saiga 12 gauge lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ralph dhur
03-07-2012, 18:01
You could drop an intruder inside your house, put him into the back of your truck and take him down the road, throw him in a ditch, and be back home and in bed, not ever waking the dog, the little lady, or the kids.

Sounds like a plan. rofl.

yukon2004
03-07-2012, 18:06
Tagged

Gdirty5
03-07-2012, 18:10

When I was a kid I use to shoot rats in an old abandon farm house (owner knew didn't care)

Shooting a .22 rifle was not that bad inside - but a 12 gauge (no hearing protection) was REALLY REALLY LOUD. My ears rang for a few days -

Yes it is loud, but not nearly as loud as it is normally. I pulled out my ear plug once while at an indoor range (just me and one other person) and we both stopped shooting for a min, but he ended up firing one more round and MAN was that LOUD. When I shoot suppressed, the closest thing I can think of that it sounds like is a nail gun that runs off compressed air. And I stood outside while my brother shot inside to "hear" what it sounds like from outside, and from outside it sounds like a stapler (click click)

Brian Lee
03-07-2012, 20:07
If you shoot and kill/wound someone in the house with a suppressed firearm, there's going to be some explaining to do. Not to mention how the media would spin it. How many would want to deal with that?

No there wouldn't, not in a gun friendly state, since it's perfectly legal to have a suppressor on your gun for exactly this purpose. It would still just be a matter of whether it's a clean & justified shoot or not, same as always.

ronin.45
03-07-2012, 20:11
No there wouldn't, not in a gun friendly state, since it's perfectly legal to have a suppressor on your gun for exactly this purpose. It would still just be a matter of whether it's a clean & justified shoot or not, same as always.

Yup!

As long as you don't have a trigger job on the gun.:tongueout:

HexHead
03-07-2012, 20:23

Legal and justified or not, the liberal media would have a field day with it.

03-07-2012, 20:31

Gun friendly state or not, legal or not there'll be questions to be answered and the media will have a field day digging up the owner's past and asking questions to average people about the use of such firearms. Sensational, headlines of, "silencer used in shooting". God help you if you have anything questionable in your background that the media digs up. How do you think that'll go? Is it worth the potential hassle?

sop
03-07-2012, 21:04
Were it not for all the Mafia and CIA assassins quietly shooting folks in the movies, giving "silencers" a bad name, suppressors would likely be required on all firearms.

All motor vehicles have mufflers, people don't want to live next to the airport, every community has noise ordinances and nobody appreciates thumping, vibrating cars with 22" rims shaking your fillings loose at every red light. Silence is golden.

Who the hell wants to listen to gun blast? It's completely unnecessary and the most unpleasant aspect of the shooting sports. Suppressors should be required equipment for all firearms.

glock2740
03-07-2012, 21:08
A suppressed handgun would be an excellent choice for HD.
I've never wanted a suppressor, but I really never thought about it as a HD gun. I like the idea, but I just don't want to have to deal with Class III paperwork BS.

michael e
03-07-2012, 21:14
If you broke into my house I would not need to explain why I shot you. You would need to explain why I had to defend myself and family in MY house. Not even sure the media would be dumb enought to try and make a big deal about a person pulling a home invasion getting shot with a suppresior.

03-07-2012, 21:47
If you broke into my house I would not need to explain why I shot you. You would need to explain why I had to defend myself and family in MY house. Not even sure the media would be dumb enought to try and make a big deal about a person pulling a home invasion getting shot with a suppresior.

The person you shoot or thier family will play the victim and question why silencers are legal and either the victim or someone representing the victim will sue. The media will convict you in the court of public opinion(If it bleeds, it leads) while you spend a fortune trying to defend yourself civilly. If it bleeds, it leads. In the end, if you win, it'll be a pyrrhic victory.

It happens. Stories like this get posted on gun forums on a seemingly regular basis.

If you have a suppressor and you shoot someone, good luck.

Javelin
03-07-2012, 21:50

I agree that not all suppressors are made equal. Funniest thing @ silencer shoots is seeing someone that bought a cheapo GemTech or whatever and shoots it for the first time only to realize that it is loud. :rofl:

My Trident-9 w/ 147gr subsonic HP is very quiet. AAC Tirant and Ospray are also good options form what I have witnessed.

:wavey:

Javelin
03-07-2012, 21:53
The person you shoot or thier family will play the victim and question why silencers are legal and either the victim or someone representing the victim will sue. The media will convict you in the court of public opinion(If it bleeds, it leads) while you spend a fortune trying to defend yourself civilly. If it bleeds, it leads. In the end, if you win, it'll be a pyrrhic victory.

It happens. Stories like this get posted on gun forums on a seemingly regular basis.

If you have a suppressor and you shoot someone, good luck.

I'm not sure where you live .... But if a BG breaks into your house in TX and you defend yourself it wouldn't really matter if it is a Guardian .22 pistol or a legally registered & suppressed MP5.

In any shooting civil court is a way of life it seems. But in TX a good shoot is a good shoot.

Javelin
03-07-2012, 21:57
Were it not for all the Mafia and CIA assassins quietly shooting folks in the movies, giving "silencers" a bad name, suppressors would likely be required on all firearms.

All motor vehicles have mufflers, people don't want to live next to the airport, every community has noise ordinances and nobody appreciates thumping, vibrating cars with 22" rims shaking your fillings loose at every red light. Silence is golden.

Who the hell wants to listen to gun blast? It's completely unnecessary and the most unpleasant aspect of the shooting sports. Suppressors should be required equipment for all firearms.

Haha! Same folks that say silencers are bad are the same ones that will be the first to complain about a truck or motorcycle with loud pipes.

Why the hell would someone want to subject themselves to a 160dB explosion if they can throw a muffler on it and cut it down to 130dB... I have no clue.

Gdirty5
03-07-2012, 21:58
Well if you shot the guy, whats stopping you from taking off the suppressor before the police comes?

03-07-2012, 22:21
I'm not sure where you live .... But if a BG breaks into your house in TX and you defend yourself it wouldn't really matter if it is a Guardian .22 pistol or a legally registered & suppressed MP5.

In any shooting civil court is a way of life it seems. But in TX a good shoot is a good shoot.

I live the gun friendly state of NM.

I'm just taking a realistic view of things. I don't want to shoot anybody, but, if I have to legally shoot someone, I don't want any (more) potential problems, or anymore attention on me than what's already there.

If anybody lights somebody up let me know how it goes.

03-07-2012, 22:23
Well if you shot the guy, whats stopping you from taking off the suppressor before the police comes?

Well, you could very well be tampering with evidence. Good luck with that.

DoubleWide
03-07-2012, 22:32
A suppressed 22? Why?

Because if he didn't, everyone would be asking why he didn't do it

mdsn969
03-07-2012, 23:49
A suppressed 22? Why?

My G17 shooting CCI's with an AA kit is every bit as loud and shooting 9mm...

ronin.45
03-08-2012, 09:42
Well, you could very well be tampering with evidence. Good luck with that.

How would the police ever know you took it off? They can't charge you with tampering if they don't know anything changed. They most likely won't even test the gun or bullet if you tell them " I shot him and I used this gun". Even if they did testing they couldn't tell if the gun was suppressed at the time or not.

yukon2004
03-08-2012, 09:48
How would the police ever know you took it off? They can't charge you with tampering if they don't know anything changed. They most likely won't even test the gun or bullet if you tell them " I shot him and I used this gun". Even if they did testing they couldn't tell if the gun was suppressed at the time or not.

IF you were going to do that, you would probably want to put a non threaded bbl on the gun, so that no one will see the threads, and possibly ask you about a suppressor. Overall, I don't think it'd be a good idea to do anything with the gun, except unload it when the police get there, or before (assuming you are no longer in danger).

Gdirty5
03-08-2012, 09:55
IF you were going to do that, you would probably want to put a non threaded bbl on the gun, so that no one will see the threads, and possibly ask you about a suppressor. Overall, I don't think it'd be a good idea to do anything with the gun, except unload it when the police get there, or before (assuming you are no longer in danger).

my FNP tactical, USP tacticals, USP SD's, can USP compact tacticals only has the threaded barrels.

But honestly A clean shoot is a clean shoot. Someone comes into MY house in the middle of the night, signs for FORCED entry (as I keep my doors locked), and I put them down, it doesn't matter if it's with my walther p22, suppressed FNP tactical, or my full auto mac 10, I feared for life and used what I had available. The media may try to say why were these weapons used, but at the end of the day, it was a tool that I had available to protect MY life. And I legally owned these items.

Javelin
03-08-2012, 09:57

:agree:

Defending yourself against a BG breaking in and attacking you and your family would stand a cold day in court trying to convince the jury that you should not have shot him with a muffler on your gun.

Let's be realistic about things.

yukon2004
03-08-2012, 09:58
my FNP tactical, USP tacticals, USP SD's, can USP compact tacticals only has the threaded barrels.

That's true... I was thinking more along the lines of say a regular Glock with like a Lone Wolf threaded bbl on it.

Again, though... I think it's unwise to try to conceal anything you did if you are simply trying to defend your home.

Glock30Eric
03-08-2012, 10:05
I am deaf and the problem is solved. :) :)

GTFord1
03-08-2012, 11:20

Groan. Someone has to say this kind of nonsense in every thread something like this is talked about, despite the fact there is no history of it ever happening.

Shooting someone with a rail and light attached to the gun?

BUT, THE MEDIA AND LAWYERS!!!!!

Shooting someone with a black rifle?

BUT, THE MEDIA AND LAWYERS!11!

This silly line of thinking exists on gun messageboards and is parroted continuously.

You can't even be sued for self defense shooting in castle doctrine states.

liberty911
03-08-2012, 14:11
Groan. Someone has to say this kind of nonsense in every thread something like this is talked about, despite the fact there is no history of it ever happening.

Shooting someone with a rail and light attached to the gun?

BUT, THE MEDIA AND LAWYERS!!!!!

Shooting someone with a black rifle?

BUT, THE MEDIA AND LAWYERS!11!

This silly line of thinking exists on gun messageboards and is parroted continuously.

You can't even be sued for self defense shooting in castle doctrine states.

I was thinking the same thing. I don't recall ever hearing of someone being hung out to dry for using a suppressor to defend themselves, but I hear the rumors. I don't buy it. Maybe I just don't have the kind of skeletons in my closet to cause me to worry about it. Eventually I will get around to filing my paperwork for a suppressor specifically for HD purposes.

yukon2004
03-08-2012, 14:22
Yeah, I'm still going to get a suppressor or two once I have the funds. If I ever have to defend myself in my home, and the suppressor happens to be on the gun... so be it. I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

03-08-2012, 15:31
I don't think there are any documented cases of suppressors being used in SD. I'm not wiling to be the one to set the precedent.

As far as taking the suppressor off, after shooting someone, I can't believe there are some who think it's a good idea to risk tampering with evidence, but whatever. Even if it's a good shot, and it's found out that the cops were lied to or evidence hidden, you're screwed.

Of the two cases that I know of where a NFA weapon was used, Beckwith and Fadden, both went to a grand jury, both later walked, and both went into serious debt.

Here's an interesting article.

http://www.thejuryexpert.com/2009/09/will-it-hurt-me-in-court-weapons-issues-and-the-fears-of-the-legally-armed-citizen/

Reality doesn't matter, perception does.

At the end of the day, it's not my butt, I'm just stating my opinion.

GTFord1
03-08-2012, 15:34
I don't think there are any documented cases of suppressors being used in SD. I'm not wiling to be the one to set the precedent.

As far as taking the suppressor off, after shooting someone, I can't believe there are some who think it's a good idea to risk tampering with evidence, but whatever. Even if it's a good shot, and it's found out that the cops were lied to or evidence hidden, you're screwed.

Of the two cases that I know of where a NFA weapon was used, Beckwith and Fadden, both went to a grand jury, both later walked, and both went into serious debt.

Here's an interesting article.

http://www.thejuryexpert.com/2009/09/will-it-hurt-me-in-court-weapons-issues-and-the-fears-of-the-legally-armed-citizen/

Reality doesn't matter, perception does.

At the end of the day, it's not my butt, I'm just stating my opinion.

I live in a state where you can't be sued for a self defense shooting in your home, since 2005. Sucks to live in places without the castle doctrine.

I don't even think there would be "tampering with evidence" just because you took the suppressor off. That doesn't even make sense. You didn't commit a crime, and the suppressor didn't have any role in the incident, in so far as proving or disproving the truth of what happened. Taking a silencer off would have no bearing on the burden of proof. Taking the silencer off would make the same difference as if you took your socks off after shooting someone, it's inconsequential. With this reasoning, the suppressor wouldn't even be considered evidence any more than a candle burning on a table is.

Your opinion is wholly unfounded in law. At least in the state I live in, Florida, and any state with similar laws.

The same nonsensical argument you're talking about has been said about a million times on this forum and other ones regarding the type of gun to use, the color of the gun, making yourself look like Rambo by having a high-cap magazine in your gun, etcetera.

You're aware these things typically don't even go to court, right? Charges are rarely filed against anyone in a home self defense shooting, unless you're in a kooky place like Chicago. In other words, for the majority of states where suppressors are legal, it would NOT be an issue to use one in a HD situation.

What you're saying might have merit in certain states or jurisdictions.

bustedknee
03-08-2012, 16:30

That is the only reason I can think of.

The 3S rule. (SSS)
Shoot
Shovel
Shut up

But where I live, if the neighbors didn't hear gunfire at my place on a daily basis they would call the sheriff and report I must have fallen and can't get up. :animlol:

mdsn969
03-08-2012, 16:39
That is the only reason I can think of.

The 3S rule. (SSS)
Shoot
Shovel
Shut up

But where I live, if the neighbors didn't hear gunfire at my place on a daily basis they would call the sheriff and report I must have fallen and can't get up. :animlol:

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

irishbum
03-08-2012, 17:14
Man how did I get here here thought I clicked on a 9mm vs 45. :whistling::wavey:

Really does anyone really care if SOMEONE ELSE uses a suppressor in there house for any reason? Man I see some people have problem free lives.

Seriously thought you never know when a posse of these guys will show up, and you need to be able to hear the rest coming.
http://i44.tinypic.com/muj4gi.jpg

DrtyHarry
03-08-2012, 17:17

Agree 100%. If you are legally allowed to have a suppressor on your pistol, why would there be an issue? A justified shoot is all that matters...and in most red states, you can own a suppressor.

Harry

Javelin
03-08-2012, 17:33
Maybe the court case would be lessened if the homeowner used cap & ball or maybe a good steady flint lock?

See the logic here?

:whistling: