Pros and Cons of Ultra Compact [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Pros and Cons of Ultra Compact

TexasGlockster
02-20-2012, 19:05
I am getting my CHL soon and was thinking about my next firearm purchase, which will also be by carry gun (I currently have a Gen 4 G17). I don't think I want to pocket carry, but I'm also a small guy (5'9" and 145 lbs) so I want something that won't print like crazy. I know a good IWB holster can make all the difference in the world but I also didn't want to get a gun just to find out that it's too big to carry. Long story short, I'm currently looking at the G26. I've heard a lot of good things about it but wanted to hear about it from those who regularly carry it. I've also seriously considered the Baretta Nano, about which I've heard good things and is thinner (.28" thinner). But I'm not sure that the thinness of the gun is worth the reduced capacity.

Thoughts on either of these two, or other guns that you'd recommend? Am I just being paranoid?:dunno:

DaneA
02-20-2012, 19:11
Go with the 26 you won't be sorry. I carry it everyday and no one has picked up on it in over a year. I'm 5'9" 200lbs. I wear mine in a CBST about 3:30-4 o'clock.

TexasGlockster
02-20-2012, 19:30
Go with the 26 you won't be sorry. I carry it everyday and no one has picked up on it in over a year. I'm 5'9" 200lbs. I wear mine in a CBST about 3:30-4 o'clock.

Sorry, still new to the CCW world. What is CBST?

Rev.357
02-20-2012, 19:33
I have a G26 & it's a great little gun. Light, fast, easy on target, quick follow ups & can carry it all day. Doesn't make a difference if I'm working, driving, walking I don't know it's even their.:tongueout: BUT I rather carry a med. frame gun namely my G32. You know with the right holster they don't print like some think. If you look at your self you know it's their but, others never see it.

When I put my gun on in the morning it doesn't come off until get in the house to stay. Today I split a cord of wood with my IWB w/G32 & never knew it was their.:supergrin:

Go with the G26 for sure you will love it.

chipinoh
02-20-2012, 19:41
Sorry, still new to the CCW world. What is CBST?

CrossBreed SuperTuck (http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/SuperTuckDeluxe/tabid/90/List/0/ProductID/1/CategoryID/1/Level/1/Default.aspx?SortField=ProductName,ProductName). It's an Inside-the-WaistBand (IWB) holster.

HKLovingIT
02-20-2012, 20:21
I have a G26 and it covers just about all situations. I have a couple smaller things like a PM9 but I generally go for the G26 as first choice or a H&K P2000sk .40, but that's a little bigger.

A G26 for carry and a G17 for home pretty much covers all the bases. Throw in a Nano, CM9 or a Smith 442/642 and you're pretty well done buying handguns for carry scenarios and you can start with the collecting in earnest.

TxGlock9
02-20-2012, 22:18
I am getting my CHL soon and was thinking about my next firearm purchase, which will also be by carry gun (I currently have a Gen 4 G17). I don't think I want to pocket carry, but I'm also a small guy (5'9" and 145 lbs) so I want something that won't print like crazy. I know a good IWB holster can make all the difference in the world but I also didn't want to get a gun just to find out that it's too big to carry. Long story short, I'm currently looking at the G26. I've heard a lot of good things about it but wanted to hear about it from those who regularly carry it. I've also seriously considered the Baretta Nano, about which I've heard good things and is thinner (.28" thinner). But I'm not sure that the thinness of the gun is worth the reduced capacity.

Thoughts on either of these two, or other guns that you'd recommend? Am I just being paranoid?:dunno:

TexasGlockster. I thought you were talking about a 1911 when you said ultra compact. Anyway, the g26 is perfect for carry. I myself am 5 7" and 150lbs and I don't print. Let me add that the small of my back is very "curvy"(lol) and I still don't print with my G19.

Make sure you get a good gun belt, whoever you go with. I've noticed a huge difference using a regular leather belt vs. using an actual gunbelt.

Holsters. Crossbreed's supertuck is good. I use Comptac's Minotaur(mtac) holster. There are plenty of IWB(inside-waist-band) holsters to choose from. I choose to spend more up front and get quality.

Warp
02-20-2012, 22:54
The G26 is a great carry gun.

TexasGlockster
02-21-2012, 11:09
Thanks for all the responses. The 26 will definitely be my next purchase then. And while the CBST are expensive they look like really quality IWB holsters. Any recommendation on cowhide v. horsehide (with the knowledge that I live in Texas and its very hot down here)? My thought was for the horsehide because it supposedly does better with sweat and because the lighter color of the horsehide wouldn't show so much through a white shirt. I was also wondering about J-clips and V-clips. Can someone explain what that's all about?

Warp
02-21-2012, 17:59
Might you tuck your shirt in over the gun?

TxGlock9
02-21-2012, 18:24
Thanks for all the responses. The 26 will definitely be my next purchase then. And while the CBST are expensive they look like really quality IWB holsters. Any recommendation on cowhide v. horsehide (with the knowledge that I live in Texas and its very hot down here)? My thought was for the horsehide because it supposedly does better with sweat and because the lighter color of the horsehide wouldn't show so much through a white shirt. I was also wondering about J-clips and V-clips. Can someone explain what that's all about?

Do you sweat a lot? Then horsehide. It's more rigid. As for clips, the v-clip is like the J-clip but intended for use with velcro on the inside lining of the belt. I would personally just go for J-clips.

TexasGlockster
02-21-2012, 18:30
Do you sweat a lot? Then horsehide. It's more rigid. As for clips, the v-clip is like the J-clip but intended for use with velcro on the inside lining of the belt. I would personally just go for J-clips.

It's San Antonio, TX where 105 is no big deal. All we do is sweat. :rofl:

As for the J-clips...that's what I'm thinking too. Are they pretty strong? is having a good gun belt as important with the J-clips?

jdavionic
02-21-2012, 18:39
You should be able to easily conceal a G26. However if you're looking for gun that you might also be able to pocket carry, perhaps a Nano will work. If you're not interested in pocket carry, then I wouldn't see a need to go with a Nano...but that's just my opinion.

Bruce M
02-21-2012, 18:47
For my second gun I would much want a G26 over a Nano.

JLeephoto
02-21-2012, 19:07
I don't think it matters which you get first, a G26 or a pocket gun. No matter what you get your likely to eventually get the other. In my 10 years of ccw, I've worked my way down from a Colt 1911 to the Kahr PM9 with a lot of guns in between but I keep coming back to the G26 as my primary, in my opinion the G26 is the perfect combo of concealability and shootability and would be a great first choice. There are a host of good pocket guns out there. I personally like my Kahr PM9 and I still sometimes wish for something even smaller. It's just nice to have something you can drop in a pocket. Good luck.

Ruggles
02-21-2012, 19:26

As for the J-clips...that's what I'm thinking too. Are they pretty strong? is having a good gun belt as important with the J-clips?

That cause you San Antonio boys don't know nothing about real humidity :tongueout:

Now us Gulf Coast Tejas boys, well we know humidity :rofl:

JLeephoto
02-21-2012, 19:36
As for the kydex/leather "hybrid" holsters, I've had a chance to test both the Crossbreed and the Comp-Tac Minotaur. Both are comfortable and thin, but fairly bulky in that they take up the whole hip. They're like sticking a folded up newspaper in your waistband. The Crossbreed is a little wider and thus spreads the weight a bit better, it is a full rough side out holster so there is a lot of friction and it just sticks to your waist and doesn't move. That is generally a good thing for comfort, but makes it a PITA to take on and off without fully dropping trou and putting it on the waistband. My Comp-Tac is a little more compact, and has both smooth and rough side on the back so I can more easily slip it in the waistband. Overall, I use it more often.
Whatever you get, make sure you get a good true gunbelt. These don't have to be overly expensive. The Wilderness System 5 stitch (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2526141222/wilderness-tactical-5-stitch-instructor-belt-nylon) belts will do the job well for $40. The only alternative to a true gun belt I've used is the Cabelas "Double Duty (http://www.cabelas.com/mens-belts-suspenders-cabelas-double-duty-belt-1.shtml)" which is a thick double stitched leather.
Finally, you're putting about 1 1/2" of extra width inside your waistband. If you're pants already fit snug, that's gonna be uncomfortable. Go with waist sizes at least 1" larger for comfort. That's where the good belt comes in, to hold it all up.

TxGlock9
02-21-2012, 19:51

As for the J-clips...that's what I'm thinking too. Are they pretty strong? is having a good gun belt as important with the J-clips?Really? I didn't know Texas got so hot!!!

Yup, with the gun belt the holster won't sag into your pants and will stay planted. Also the gunbelt will distribute weight of holster and gun evenly making it more comfortable to wear. Which goes back to the sagging into the pants thing.

J-clips will be strong enough. It's not like you're ripping it out of your pants. lol. Unless it's a girl present and a different gun is being shown. :whistling:

That cause you San Antonio boys don't know nothing about real humidity :tongueout:

Now us Gulf Coast Tejas boys, well we know humidity :rofl:
Yeah, how should I know about Texas heat... :whistling:

Ruggles
02-21-2012, 19:54
Really? I didn't know Texas got so hot!!!

Yup, with the gun belt the holster won't sag into your pants and will stay planted. Also the gunbelt will distribute weight of holster and gun evenly making it more comfortable to wear. Which goes back to the sagging into the pants thing.

J-clips will be strong enough. It's not like you're ripping it out of your pants. lol. Unless it's a girl present and a different gun is being shown. :whistling:

I just know those northern Texas boys think they have it hot, they have that dry heat. The true Texas heat is on the Gulf Coast as we all know :tongueout:

Where are you at it Texas?

CTfam
02-21-2012, 19:55
I thought you were talking about a 1911 when you said ultra compact.

:rofl: Me too! I was just going to come in here and recommend a Glock 26! :supergrin:

The G-26 is the greatest concealed carry weapon on the market IMO. It is so versatile and it can do anything the larger Glocks can do.

ANYONE can pack a sub Glock. There is no excuse to carry anything less than a G-26 w/ spare mag unless your daily attire is a leotard.

CTfam
02-21-2012, 20:01
My Sub rides AIWB in this holster in ultra thin kydex. I like small holsters for small guns.

http://www.fist-holsters.com/vm.html?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=10&category_id=1

TxGlock9
02-21-2012, 20:02
I just know those northern Texas boys think they have it hot, they have that dry heat. The true Texas heat is on the Gulf Coast as we all know :tongueout:

Where are you at it Texas?I'm in Beaumont. 85 miles east of Houston off i-10..

:rofl: Me too! I was just going to come in here and recommend a Glock 26! :supergrin:

The G-26 is the greatest concealed carry weapon on the market IMO. It is so versatile and it can do anything the larger Glocks can do.

ANYONE can pack a sub Glock. There is no excuse to carry anything less than a G-26 w/ spare mag unless your daily attire is a leotard.
leotard... :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Louisville Glocker
02-21-2012, 21:29
Get a G26 and a real gun belt. The Cabela's Double Duty is just fine and in the 39 dollar range I think. Solid. IWB of choice (Personally, I have custom kydex that coachg on the forum used to sell, works great and was like 35 bucks shipped). Clip on loop.

Wearing it at 4:30, I've played a basketball game (halfcourt) in a T-shirt while wearing the glock. No problem. Really a great carry gun. I'm 6', 170, and usually wear an untucked shirt. Nobody would ever suspect (except for my 9 year old, but he's on to my secrets).

dooga
02-21-2012, 21:54
I am happy with my G26 and run either an all-Kydex IWB from PJ Holsters if I know I am going to need to take it off often during the day:
http://img.tapatalk.com/458fbfb5-7494-6260.jpg

And, if I am going to carry and forget, I run my Tommy Theis horsehide IWB:
http://img.tapatalk.com/458fbfb5-74ec-2669.jpg

RJ's Guns
02-22-2012, 00:43
I find that I carry my Rohrbaugh R9S the most. http://www.rohrbaughfirearms.com/ (http://www.rohrbaughfirearms.com/) I believe that it still the smallest andlightest 9mm. It is very well made and very easy to carry. Same with my otherfavorite, a Seecamp 380. http://seecamp.com/ (http://seecamp.com/) A lot of times I carry both.
RJ

TexasGlockster
02-22-2012, 06:57
Really? I didn't know Texas got so hot!!!

Full disclosure...I totally wasn't even paying attention to your location or your user name when I wrote that. ooops.

Guess that makes me the tool of the day lol. :embarassed:

And in my personal opinion the humidity of Beaumont and Houston make those two cities far more unpleasant than San Antonio. I tip my hat to you and ask why you would live in such an awful place. :tongueout:

Deaf Smith
02-22-2012, 16:55
I prefer the 36/27/33 series glocks for CCW (along with the J 642s.)

Just practice often and realistic.

Can't go wrong with any of them.

Deaf

hawgrider
02-22-2012, 17:37
G26 over the nano any day. G26 is a great shooter and great little carry gun.

Fuerte
02-23-2012, 15:42
I have a Nano and a G26. I have had the G26 for years, and I absolutely love it; however, I carry the Nano 80% of the time. The Nano is a joy to shoot, carry, and is surprisingly accurate. I have had other small guns (Kahr PM9 and Kimber Solo) and carried those more often than the G26 too. Just my preference...

TexasGlockster
02-24-2012, 07:16
So the Nano finally got a vote...interesting. Thanks for the personal experience report.

I'm still thinking G26, or at least I was...I had a dream last night (I know sounds like this thread is about to start getting weird...it won't) and in it I started thinking that the .40 subcompact (G27?) might be the way to go because I could always get the interchangeable barrels. Is there a noteworthy size difference (especially when it comes to width) between the 26 and 27? Have a lot of people had reliability issues if they carry with interchangeable barrels?

HKLovingIT
02-24-2012, 09:25
So the Nano finally got a vote...interesting. Thanks for the personal experience report.

I'm still thinking G26, or at least I was...I had a dream last night (I know sounds like this thread is about to start getting weird...it won't) and in it I started thinking that the .40 subcompact (G27?) might be the way to go because I could always get the interchangeable barrels. Is there a noteworthy size difference (especially when it comes to width) between the 26 and 27? Have a lot of people had reliability issues if they carry with interchangeable barrels?

They are the exact same size.

marcus40
02-24-2012, 09:51
I just recently purchased the Glock 26 gen 4. I got my concealed carry permit in 2009, and started carrying with the Glock 30, then a Glock 36. With the improvement of the 9mm ammo especially with Hornady & Corbon, I have decided to go with the 9mm as my carry gun. I went through a lot of IWB holsters, of those the one that I liked the best is the Crossbread supertuck. I currently carry my concealed gun in a Wilderness Tactical holster that you wear on the outside of your belt, it incloses the gun, and actually looks like a CD holder. I have never had anyone ask what is inside of this holster, including lots of stores.
So far I love shooting the Glock 26, I have put 120 rounds through it without any problems. The first box of 115gr. American Eagle shot fantastic, I had a box of Remington 115gr that i shot next, it didn't seem to have the power of the american eagle rounds,The american eagle was throughing the shell to right pretty strong, the Remington seem to just up in the air and a little to the right. So in the future for target practice I will use the american eagle or possible some reloads of mine.
Just my 2cents worth,
Marcus:cool: