Wife bought an XD, any opinions? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Wife bought an XD, any opinions?

ithaca_deerslayer
02-20-2012, 19:40
UPDATED 2/26/12 with range review and target pics posted farther down the thread :)

My wife decided to get a new handgun afterall. We already have EMP, LCP, PPK, PM9, 92FS, 92compact, 642, 637, PT1911AR, 26, 17G4, GP100, DW44, 2206, and a single-action .22 revolver.

It was essentially a birthday present, anything she wanted. Over the past couple months she was thinking about a Glock 19, then nothing, then maybe something. I wasn't sure if she wanted something for carry, or for teaching other women, or for IDPA. I've switched from the 92 to the Glock 17 G4 for my IDPA type shooting, and I think that influenced her, as she really likes how the 17 shoots.

So after a couple months of looking, she decided on the Springfield XD, 9mm, 4". She liked the grip and trigger more than any other gun. All I had to say was, if you want a "fill in the blank" don't worry about the price. Came down to comparing the 19 to the XD, and then she picked the XD, liking the grip more.

Any opinions about the XD? Any comments at all would be welcome, as I don't know much about them :)

bac1023
02-20-2012, 19:45
I love the XDm. The standard XDs are decent too.

Ebb27
02-20-2012, 19:51
I've got a ported XD-40 Service model.

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n200/srebough/xd1aa-1.jpg

Very nice gun that I really like. Good shooter, reliable, and accurate.

I like my Glocks but the XD does have better ergonomics. Fits my hand like it was made for it and has a shorter trigger reach than the Glocks.

Not much to tell, just like my Glocks it's boringly reliable and trouble free.

HKLovingIT
02-20-2012, 19:52
Manage your household sir.

http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/8529/image89e8f3dba3.jpg

j/k...It'll be okay but Mr. Glock and his wife do not approve.

http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/1853/c6125glockwifetfb.jpg

All the XDs I owned ran very well. I would like to own another someday like the XDM 3.8 .45. I got to fondle one in the store the other day. The grip felt like shaking hands. I like it.

Rustin
02-20-2012, 22:15
:rofl::rofl::rofl: ,seriously though, glad she got the pistol she wanted.

G26S239
02-20-2012, 22:21
XDs are good guns.

Colt452zigzag28
02-20-2012, 22:41
My buddy has a XD and comparing it to my glock I didn't like the grip safety, That is about all I could say. I love the way Springfield triggers are. The only other gun I would have looked at would be the S&W M&P. But great choice if she liked It!!

SauerChoi
02-20-2012, 23:35
The only complaint I have about the XD is the grip safety. The service model that I had in 9mm was a great shooter but just didn't like the grip safety so traded in for a Glock.

ithaca_deerslayer
02-21-2012, 05:40
For those who didn't like the grip safety, what about it don't you like? Just curious.

I don't like a 1911 grip safety but that is because most of them press against the web of my hand like a stone in a shoe.

But the XD grip safety wasn't noticeable in feel to my hand at all.

Not sure what I think about grip safety functionality. Maybe good to have that extra passive safety, to prevent some types of accidental bangs. But you don't want a crappy hold to prevent you from firing when you need to.

HK Dan
02-21-2012, 05:50
Divorce her. Tell her if she wants an eastern bloc wunder gun she can shoot it with another chump. I'm quite certain that any court in the land will find you "justified", just say :Judge...she LIKED the XD..." and it's over. She may be executed to prevent breeding, so be ready...

LOLOLOL
Dan

Myke_Hart
02-21-2012, 05:52
XD's are the best.

Just like a glock, but better.:whistling:
I like the trigger better. I like the takedown better, I like the chamber round indicator better, the cocked indicator, the point, the look, all the accesories you get for free, that the sights are steel (not plastic). Awe hell I like everything about the XD's.:embarassed:

The XDM's I like because you do not have to pull the trigger on take down. That is awesome.

I have 2 XD's
xd sc 9mm
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll264/myke_hart/Handguns/SpringXD9SC.jpg
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll264/myke_hart/Handguns/SpringXD9SC3.jpg

xd sc 40
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll264/myke_hart/Handguns/SpringXD40SC3.jpg
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll264/myke_hart/Handguns/SpringXD40SC5.jpg

Bob Hafler
02-21-2012, 07:18
I like my XD9sc, Shoots as good as anyother gun I own. That grip safety isn't even noticeable when firing the pistol unlike some of the newer 1911's with the bump on the back of the grip safety. Plus that I think it's a great safety feature. I certainly wouldn't hesitate to recommend an XD to anyone who is looking for a good reasonably priced pistol.

Good luck to your wife I'm sure she'll love shooting it.

just for fun
02-21-2012, 07:56
Need (want?) another 9MM and your wife's XD had the nod till last weekend. The changeability (SP) of the grip panals on the Smith MP and the price made it my next in line firearm to buy.
From the day they came out I considered the XD as a updated glock, hense I have nothing but praise for her choise.

ajgranda
02-21-2012, 08:12
Very pleased with both my XDs!

Chup
02-21-2012, 08:12
I have worked in Gun Shops for Years. I have sold a lot of the Guns you have and owned a few. The XD is a Gun that fits most People well. They fit me better than the Glock I own. I would recomend the XD to anyone. I have never sent one back for repair or had a Customer complain about one, that I can remember.

ithaca_deerslayer
02-21-2012, 09:10
I have worked in Gun Shops for Years. I have sold a lot of the Guns you have and owned a few. The XD is a Gun that fits most People well. They fit me better than the Glock I own. I would recomend the XD to anyone. I have never sent one back for repair or had a Customer complain about one, that I can remember.

That's good to know, thanks :)

She was holding some much more expensive brands in her hands. Won't mention specific name, because I don't want to start flame wars. Stuff that is supposed to be the best, stuff that kind of has a mystique of the best trainined shooters in high security areas using, and stuff that is expensive.

But she liked the way the XD felt better. I said I didn't recall hearing anything bad about them, so get what you want.

And if you working at gun stores haven't seen them come back with complaints, then that's a good sign!

:wavey:

Bilbo Bagins
02-21-2012, 09:23
Manage your household sir.

http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/8529/image89e8f3dba3.jpg

j/k...It'll be okay but Mr. Glock and his wife do not approve.

http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/1853/c6125glockwifetfb.jpg

All the XDs I owned ran very well. I would like to own another someday like the XDM 3.8 .45. I got to fondle one in the store the other day. The grip felt like shaking hands. I like it.

:rofl:

I don't have a problem with XD, I like the grip too but for me they seem top heavy. By the way, when I seen the Picture of Gaston Glock and his wife I was taken aback. I guess the money I spend on glock its being well spent by the owner. Good for him.

http://www.everydaynodaysoff.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Gaston-Glock-And-Wife.jpg

SauerChoi
02-21-2012, 09:24
It's not that the grip safety gets in the way, I just don't get why it's there in the first place. All other polymer guns seem to do just fine with the DA action without a grip safety. It's just another part that can possibly break and not really necessary IMHO.

Rumbler_G20
02-21-2012, 09:39
I've got the same XD9 4" pistol. I have worked the crap out of it for the last couple of years. It is no fair weather only range queen.

If I had the choice today of a new XD9 or the equivalent size/caliber Glock - for free - I'd have two XD9's no doubt about it. :wavey:

3000fps
02-21-2012, 09:42
" XDs are “Bubba guns.” Junk that Bubba buys for cheap and goes to the dump and shoots at rats with. " - Larry Vickers

http://i43.tinypic.com/wrb0ph.jpg

HKLovingIT
02-21-2012, 13:45
" XDs are “Bubba guns.” Junk that Bubba buys for cheap and goes to the dump and shoots at rats with. " - Larry Vickers

http://i43.tinypic.com/wrb0ph.jpg

:rofl:

Love that picture. On a serious-ish note, the price of them seems to be getting up there with anything else these days.

Breadman03
02-21-2012, 14:10
All I had to say was, if you want a "fill in the blank" don't worry about the price.
You're lucky she didn't fill it in with a Wilson Combat. I have an XD .357 and like it a lot. The trigger is...uninspiring, though.

Pete250R
02-21-2012, 14:47
I have 2 XD's, and love them both. I tried to get used to the Glock grip angle, but it wasn't for me. To each their own.

Dogbite
02-21-2012, 15:13
I love the XDM's and the regular XD's. I feel like they are a Glock with better ergo's. I have shot the heck out of them, and they proved reliable and accurate.

bklynpete
02-21-2012, 15:13
While waiting for a Gen4 G21, a friend recommended the XDm45. I always liked my 1911's so the grip angle was very familiar to me. Also having the extra adjustibilty for the grip is very nice. I bought it and loved shooting it.
I then looked at the XD45C, and it is now my carry weapon of choice. 10rd mag, and a 13rd mag as a backup.
Good luck with your wifes XD, she made a great choice. By the way, no issues with either gun. I really don't understand the problem with grip safeties, if you grip it right, there is no issue.

Aceman
02-21-2012, 15:27
Can't hate on Glock, XD, or S&W M&P - just fantastic guns all around for the price.

I have an XD .45, it's been nothing but awesome. And I'm an HK fanboy, so you know I hate everything. I do really like the XD grip. Feels fantastic.

janice6
02-21-2012, 15:29
Good for her!

I hope she shoots it often and is happy with it.

Ebb27
02-21-2012, 15:41
It's not that the grip safety gets in the way, I just don't get why it's there in the first place. All other polymer guns seem to do just fine with the DA action without a grip safety. It's just another part that can possibly break and not really necessary IMHO.

XDs aren't a DA they're an SA.

Since it is a single-action and fully cocked I'm sure the designers felt the grip safety was a good idea.

If XD grip safeties were a problem and prone to breakage or failures I'm sure we'd have heard about it.

This seems to be one of those issues where XD haters can't think of anything else to gripe about, but have a need to find something "wrong" with them.

Wyoming
02-21-2012, 18:16
Let me get this straight. You live in New York State and you wife could have anything she wanted for her birthday and she wanted a handgun?

She is a keeper!

ithaca_deerslayer
02-21-2012, 18:52
Let me get this straight. You live in New York State and you wife could have anything she wanted for her birthday and she wanted a handgun?

She is a keeper!

Well not really, she also wanted 4 mags and a holster :rofl:

Oh and I almost forgot, she beat me in a round of IDPA type fun at the local club, the day before she bought the XD. She was tops in that round, over 10 others. And the 1st shot was a draw from concealed holster to hit a 25 yard plate. She did it double action with her Beretta, then 3 body shots on cardboard at 7 yards, and knocked down two plates at 10 yards. I missed a plate while she shot a clean round.

One thing she likes about the XD, is no double action trigger to grind through a time-warp on the 1st shot :)

DreamWeaver88
02-21-2012, 19:08
I like my first gen HS2000. It's easy to take down and has been 100% reliable.

The only thing I don't like is the factory sights. The dots were way too small, and barely had any white paint in them. I just opened up the holes a little bit and added a drop of white paint and it's good to go.

Colt452zigzag28
02-21-2012, 19:42
For those who didn't like the grip safety, what about it don't you like? Just curious.

I don't like a 1911 grip safety but that is because most of them press against the web of my hand like a stone in a shoe.

But the XD grip safety wasn't noticeable in feel to my hand at all.

Not sure what I think about grip safety functionality. Maybe good to have that extra passive safety, to prevent some types of accidental bangs. But you don't want a crappy hold to prevent you from firing when you need to.

The thing is that the grip safety to me is noticable but doesn't create the same effect that a 1911 grip safety has. I've been told that the grip safety is supposed to catch in the webbing of your hand to help with recoil control and maintaining the grip of the gun. Again this is what I was told and I could see what the dealer was saying. I did feel the 1911 grip safety a lot more but it did help with recoil control.

AGAIN IN MY OPINION..

OmegaRunner
02-25-2012, 15:54
Divorce her. Tell her if she wants an eastern bloc wunder gun she can shoot it with another chump. I'm quite certain that any court in the land will find you "justified", just say :Judge...she LIKED the XD..." and it's over. She may be executed to prevent breeding, so be ready...

LOLOLOL
Dan

Dan, if I didn't know you I might think you were just being sarcastic. You should start your own "Dear HK Dan" column.

Aloysius

jkd301
02-25-2012, 16:30
The best choice for her is the one she likes. I just hope she isnt like my wife who changes her mind every few seconds on just what it is she likes

ithaca_deerslayer
02-25-2012, 16:42
The best choice for her is the one she likes. I just hope she isnt like my wife who changes her mind every few seconds on just what it is she likes

Can never have too many guns :)

ithaca_deerslayer
02-25-2012, 16:56
Ok, here's the results. She loves it, and says it is so easy to shoot accurately. No malfuntions, no problems. And the sights appear to be regulated to the center hold that she prefers and expects in a handgun. She also thought it was easy to take down and clean. She appreciates how lightweight it is to hold up in front of her, and said the recoil is like practically nothing. All four mags worked fine, and she was all smiles.

Here's her 3rd mag ever shot in that gun, 10 rounds rapid fire at 12 yards :)

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7064/6783666418_e4356dba6e_b.jpg

ithaca_deerslayer
02-25-2012, 17:52
Now my review :)

The XD 9 service size, 4" barrel, certainly appears to be a reliable functional handgun, with no malfunctions straight out of the box, and with just a quick cleaning my wife did before her first shot. I can't help but to compare it to the Glock17 gen4, my own most recent purchase.

The XD certainly wins in the ejection category. All brass was thrown strongly clear to the right at 4:00, in a nice pretty pile.

The sights are big and open with nice 3 white dots. I think the Glock sights give just a little less open space around the font blade, making the Glock perhaps a little more precise to align. The gen 4 grip is more to my liking, giving me a surer grip with the texture and I like the shape better. But the XD grip has a shorter circumference and reach to the trigger, even compared to the Glock without any of the add-on backstraps. The XD is a little too smooth in texture for my preference. The XD also has a quirky thing where when you rack the slide back with the intention of locking it open, you got to keep the grip safety depressed or it prevents the slide from going back all the way. The grip safety is not noticeable to me at all as far as my grip is concerned while shooting, and seems fine if it helps a few types of accidental booms from happening.

For actually shooting, I think the XD has more muzzle flip than the 17, and isn't as easy to get under control. Just talking slight differences here. But the 17 feels like perhaps I can get a higher or firmer grip to leverage against the muzzle rise.

The triggers are quit different. I'm used to the Glock (I've had a 26 for a long time), and prefer the spongy build-up of pressure, with a relatively easy final wall of resistence to clear. The XD feels more like a typical single action trigger, but not quite as light as some of the better single action triggers. I'm not saying the XD trigger should be lighter, because in fact it is plenty light for having no thumb safety, but it does seem to have a tiny bit harder final wall of resistence to break past.

Here are my shots. I'm pulling the XD a little bit to the right, whereas I tend to push a Glock a little bit to the left. The 12 yard target has 25 shots rapid fire, not crazy fast, but aimed. At 25 yards the 5 shot offhand slowfire group is on target but with a 5" spread. I can group my 17 a little better than that, although I was trying this XD in a windy snowstorm :) Not sure what the XD is actually capable of in better hands, but should be accurate enough for action shooting events, where 25 yards is typically the outer limit.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7207/6783666422_faabe921e7_b.jpg

writwing
02-25-2012, 17:58
If the XD cam in 357 I would buy one in an instant.

HKLovingIT
02-25-2012, 18:07
If the XD cam in 357 I would buy one in an instant.

Oh but they do...or did, and Buds still has them in stock.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=.357+SIG&x=13&y=16

ithaca_deerslayer
02-26-2012, 07:56
Another interesting thing I found out about the XD is that it takes what are basically Beretta 92 mags that have a hole punched in the front for the XD magazine catch to stick into.

Should be easy to modify existing Beretta mags to work fine, as far as I can tell.

ithaca_deerslayer
02-26-2012, 20:03
My wife got a chance to benchrest the XD today, holding it on a couple sandbags at 25 yards. Her best 5-shot group was 2.25". I was pretty impressed :)

She had some other groups that opened up more, but she's not as experienced at the bench. At her request I tried it at the bench too, and shot exactly two groups with it then handed it back to her. 1.875" and 2.5"

The XD is not too shabby :)

mingaa
02-26-2012, 20:05
Erm, XD works-among the best in class. Cool wife! Enjoy the ride.