Prep rating scale? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Prep rating scale?

Bolster
02-20-2012, 20:39
I'm a big fan of the BOB/GHB Rating Scale (stickied above). It would be grand if there were such a scale for home preps, too. I'm not savvy enough to create it, being a relative prepping newbie, but I was wondering if one of the senior members would take on such a challenge? Would be helpful to have a list to print out and stare at, while allotting budget to various prep activities.

Potential categories:

Food
Transport/Navigation
Communication
Defense
Energy/Fuel
Shelter
...and so on.

I'm certain if I could 'spreadsheet' my preps, I'd better be able to spot large, gaping holes in my progress (as the BOB rating scale helped me to do).

Bolster
02-21-2012, 22:27
I'm the only guy here who thinks this is a good idea?

I guess I'm even more odd than my wife says I am.

Lone Kimono
02-21-2012, 23:21
Sounds like a good idea to me.

USMCSergeant
02-21-2012, 23:26
I think it's a great idea to have a spreadsheet or checklist. As complicated as having a fully prepped BOB can be, I'd imagine the list of home preps would be truly overwhelming when you're first starting out.

sebecman
02-22-2012, 06:06
Sounds like a good idea but like so much of what we do it will be location specific.....

So what works for you in your location in terms of transport, water storage, defense etc may not/will not work for me in mine.

Of course the basics, food, water, shelter and clothing are universal, but how you approach water storage for example, and how I do are vastly different as I am in the country in the most watery state in the union (except maybe Minnesota?) So I have a few bottles but primary is filters and pumps for collecting, while somoene in the city or in arid country would focus on bottled/barrels.

Transport for me is any combo of my 4 wheeler, snowmobile, 4x4, camper etc...Transport for you is car, feet, bicycle...and we will have very different prep lists as a result.

Aceman
02-22-2012, 07:58
I agree - you'd need different scales for various types of issues, and there would be some location specific issues that could suddenly invalidate an entire category of preps.

Hurricane in an area with high vs low land and Blizzard in plains vs woods are each very distinct categories to deal with.

RatDrall
02-22-2012, 10:15
There is no general scale that can tell you whether or not you are prepared.

It would be a disservice to tell someone that they got a 10/10, when they are missing something that they needed, that no one else knew that they needed.

General guidelines about what an average person would probably need over a set length of time is about as close as one can get, and those are already established.

Bolster
02-22-2012, 10:47
I have to disagree, Rat. The BOB/GHB rating scale (sticked) is heavily caveated about the need for customization, but presents general categories and mileposts that most people have found useful. Very few people threw out the whole exercise, because some element of customization was missing.

Neither does the exercise need to be completely original, to be helpful. I just find spreadsheet-induced thinking very useful; more logical and methodical than a long alphabetical list. In fact, the spreadsheet approach helped me amplify and discount various weightings introduced. I didn't agree with some of the weightings, and thought there were some obvious omissions, but it's the fact the spreadsheet made me think critically, that was helpful.

There's something motivating about seeing a score (artificial as it may be), seeing scores higher than your own, and asking yourself, "Can I improve my score?" That's more motivational than "Can I add something else to the list?"

What I found helpful about the sticked rating scale for BOB/GHB, wasn't that it told me every item to pack, it's that it made me think more deeply about a broad approach to preparation, but within certain necessary categories, and helped me find areas I'd overlooked.

Seems to me many of the same categories of the BOB/GHB list could be used:

Water (from none, through storage, to sustainable source with treatment)
Food (none, through storage, to self-sustaining with livestock and gardens)
Shelter (from tarp to hardened bunker)
Warmth (from jacket to well-insulated living space with fireplace/stove)
Defense (from pepper spray to private army)
Quality (? how to determine? Remove?)
Medical (from band aids to trained med professional with private medical suite)
Communication (from shouting to worldwide ham radio)
Transportation (from walking to armored vehicle)

...remove...

Portability

...add...

Energy/Fuel (from a pack of AA batteries thru fuel storage to sustainable solar/wind)

M1A Shooter
02-22-2012, 15:35
i think it would work well enough with a few different caveats like the BOB/GHB scale. basics like food and water are the same for most everyone, the difference is if you need to keep it cooler in hot months vs warm in cold winters.

as long as you keep it as general concepts to expand upon and you are honestly rating yourself, i think it would be fine even with different climates and such. everyone would differ a bit but it would give you a stating place based on what you have and give ideas of what to work on or expand.