For those who complain about the Glock 19 Gen 4 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : For those who complain about the Glock 19 Gen 4

filipradcliffe
02-20-2012, 22:28
Not to be rude or hate, but why do people complain about the Glock 19 Gen 4? After reading the reviews, I decided to buy one, and it was my very first handgun. I bought in in Oct 2011, and since then I have fired 1300+ rounds through it. I have about a total of 15 problems (Stove pipe, Failure to Feed, and 2x the slide didn't lock to rear). I have notice people complain about getting hit by the ejecting case...does it really matter that much? When you're focused you don't even realize it's happening. I have been using Federal Champion 115gr. I guess what I'm trying to say is, its a $500 handgun...if you're looking for something perfect spend more...but remember, no matter how much you put into it, it will never function 100%. There are always many possibilities..

High Altitude
02-20-2012, 22:49
A properly functioning glock 9mm should have about 1-2 malfunctions per 10,000 rounds fired.

15 malfunctions in 1300 rounds is completely unacceptable.

Original glock 17 had 1 malfunction in 10,000 rounds when tested by the Austria Military.

Todd over at pistol training put 55,221 rounds through a gen4 17 with 9 malfunctions.

tooomey
02-20-2012, 22:53
:okie:

This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard! Although I have 2 Gen 4's with zero problems the guns should not do that! No matter the price. I have seen $3500.00 knighthawk 1911's jam so it has nothing to do with price. Glocks slogan is "GLOCK PERFECTION" and that is what people are used to. I don't think its the end of the world if there is a problem but who wants to buy a new gun with problems! NOT ME!

NEOH212
02-20-2012, 22:56
It used to be that Glock's would just chew up everything you put through them. Once in a blue moon it may malfunction. Anymore, even if you disregard half of what you hear on the net, there seems to be a much higher failure rate with Glock's than ever before.

My Gen 4 Glock 22 has more rounds out of it now that I can keep track of. It's been flawless. I can't say the same for other people at the gun club that I belong to or others that I shoot with at our private range. Most of the trouble seems to be with the 9mm versions.

To me, this is unacceptable given the reputation that Glock has built up over the years. $500 used to get you a super reliable gun, good quality and piece of mind.

Now, it's hit and miss. I would like to see Glock bring their quality standards and reliability back up. Since all of this has been going on, I have moved on from Glock's. I just can't trust them anymore.

I hope that changes in the future.

Message to Glock:

Get your act together!

dgbee456
02-20-2012, 22:57
a properly functioning glock 9mm should have about 1-2 malfunctions per 10,000 rounds fired.

i agree its a glock...it should be flawless

NEOH212
02-20-2012, 23:01
:okie:

This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard! Although I have 2 Gen 4's with zero problems the guns should not do that! No matter the price. I have seen $3500.00 knighthawk 1911's jam so it has nothing to do with price. Glocks slogan is "GLOCK PERFECTION" and that is what people are used to. I don't think its the end of the world if there is a problem but who wants to buy a new gun with problems! NOT ME!

I agree. Remembering what Glock used to be compared to what it is now is a real shame. I cut my handgun teeth on a Glock 22 when I was going to go to the police academy years ago. (I never went.)

I remember when Glock's were all the rave and for good reason. They were cost effective, they were dead nuts reliable and they worked.

Now we have what we have and I really wonder if Glock is going to recover their reputation now that it's as damaged as it is. They really need to redeem themselves.

And I hope they do.

tinman517
02-20-2012, 23:04
Not to be rude or hate, but why do people complain about the Glock 19 Gen 4? After reading the reviews, I decided to buy one, and it was my very first handgun. I bought in in Oct 2011, and since then I have fired 1300+ rounds through it. I have about a total of 15 problems (Stove pipe, Failure to Feed, and 2x the slide didn't lock to rear). I have notice people complain about getting hit by the ejecting case...does it really matter that much? When you're focused you don't even realize it's happening. I have been using Federal Champion 115gr. I guess what I'm trying to say is, its a $500 handgun...if you're looking for something perfect spend more...but remember, no matter how much you put into it, it will never function 100%. There are always many possibilities..

Congrats . . . Enjoy your first handgun. Hopefully, it's one of many to follow.

NEOH212
02-20-2012, 23:04
I'm very displeased with Glock these days and what they have done. They can do a lot better than they have been.

But, all the share holders want a bigger and bigger check every quarter. The only way to increase profits is to decrease cost. The big wigs don't care about the end user of the product. They only care about their bottom line and see everything in black and white.

They decrease cost by making things cheaper, and in the process, you get what we have here with the new Glocks.

Completely unacceptable Glock! :steamed:

NEOH212
02-20-2012, 23:05
Congrats . . . Enjoy your first handgun. Hopefully, it's one of many to follow.

+1 :thumbsup:

High Altitude
02-20-2012, 23:06
A properly functioning glock 9mm should have about 1-2 malfunctions per 10,000 rounds fired.

Original glock 17 had 1 malfunction in 10,000 rounds when tested by the Austria Military.

Todd over at pistol training put 55,221 rounds through a gen4 17 with 9 malfunctions.

and to add a couple more data points from other top quality polymer pistols that Todd has tested.

M&P9 - 62,333 rounds 2 malfunctions
HK P30 - 91,322 rounds 13 malfunctions
HK45 - 50,000 rounds with 2 malfunctions

dryflyelk
02-20-2012, 23:14
I'll chime in.

One of the reasons I've come to love glocks so, so much is that they just work. I don't have to baby them, i don't have to worry about what kind of ammo, I don't have to even clean them. They work.

I've had a handful of glocks over the years, and i always went chasing the next best thing. HK, Sig, Smith, XD, you name it. I kept coming back. I found so many other reasons why I loved glock. So many times the other guys I'd buy would mess up and crap the bed. My glocks NEVER did. Not one time out of thousands and thousands of rounds.

Fast forward to gen4. I bought a gen4 26 and 19. My 26 has been flawless...my 19, not so much. Many, many issues. Coming from a guy who had never had a jam in a glock before, that pissed me off. Glocks are glocks because they aren't supposed to jam. Ever.

After I got a nice half moon shaped burn on my face from a hot piece of brass nestling itself between my shoulder and my cheek, I had had enough. I sent both gen4's back to georgia without hassle. I'm not sure why I didn't do it sooner.

Since then, both have functioned 100% with a variety of ammo. I now trust my 19 again like I had come to trust anything else with the name "glock" on it.

If you've had that many malfunctions, something is very, very wrong. Get it fixed.

Glock's reputation has taken a big hit with this fiasco. It is still my favorite handgun ever, but I can no longer say it will never have problems.

RowdyatHeart
02-20-2012, 23:33
The fundamentals at Glock are still very solid. The design concept is proven. Yes they are having issues. Yes they have implemented fixes for some if not all of these problems but it will take time to identify and correct the deficiencies with the batches of weapons that went out with defective Extractors, RSA's and other components.

I direct your attention to one of their primary competitors. This particular adversary treats a stainless steel slide with a process similar to the Glock Tenifer process and their slides are cracking---most in the same place. Another Me-Too company out there gunning for Glock simply does not have enough of their product placed in the American law enforcement community for us to have a clear picture of just how good their product is.

Things could be much worse with Glock, we could be looking at cracked slides, broken barrel lugs, split frames or mag releases popping out on a frequent basis. So far there are some clear difficulties with jamming----and that is unacceptable no doubt. There also a ton of reports of brass not ejecting properly. This is not good but....in a life or death scenario, the weapon would still function.

Don't write Glock off just yet until you go out and look at the other options and review their design-build philosophies and workmanship. I could go on forever but Glock did it right with the back strap adapters instead of making the replaceable back strap integral to the frame. I don't know about you but I don't like the idea of a hollow grip frame on a polymer pistol especially in a caliber like .40 which can kaBOOM.

Then there is the oldest gun company in the world that recently came out with a rotating barrel design that some now have discovered won't function with any amount of debris in it.

The bottom line is this: The Glock is a well thought out firearm. They are having some important issues but they can and are being addressed.

filipradcliffe
02-20-2012, 23:38
and to add a couple more data points from other top quality polymer pistols that Todd has tested.

I don't know that much, but I'll look into it. Its seems kinda hard to believe that someone actually did these test...I believe "glock perfection" is just a catchy logo. The reliability end of it is, yes it suppose to work in any condition, but who is to say that it won't have issues? It just sounds unbelievable that for $500 I can get a gun with no issue. Otherwise why doesn't everyone just own that specific weapon. This is just my opinion. I'm not trying to argue, now I can actually do some research. Thank for the input and the project!

HKLovingIT
02-20-2012, 23:56
I don't know that much, but I'll look into it. Its seems kinda hard to believe that someone actually did these test...I believe "glock perfection" is just a catchy logo. The reliability end of it is, yes it suppose to work in any condition, but who is to say that it won't have issues? It just sounds unbelievable that for $500 I can get a gun with no issue. Otherwise why doesn't everyone just own that specific weapon. This is just my opinion. I'm not trying to argue, now I can actually do some research. Thank for the input and the project!

Todd did those tests.

Here you go:

You can read all the reports and updates from the tests of the various firearms. He's testing a Gen 4 G17 right now.

http://pistol-training.com/archives/category/range-reports

The prior iterations of the 9mm Glocks were about as reliable a pistol as man has produced. Now that they've been tinkered with / product improved, it appears that there has been some decline in that reliability in the 9mm models (or at least an annoyance factor with ejection) but perhaps an uptick in reliability in .40 S&W models.

It's just anecdotal from my perspective but the majority of problem threads I read with Gen 4 seem to be concerning 9mm models and rarely the .40 S&W models. :dunno:

I'm glad I purchased the 26/19/17 before all this, and enough spare parts to rebuild any of them if that should ever be necessary. Doubt it though.

On the upside, I feel better than ever about buying a Glock in .40 whereas before the Gen 4 I wasn't too keen. :whistling:

High Altitude
02-21-2012, 00:40
You can read all of those tests at this sight.

http://pistol-training.com/

Glocks are very simple designs. Actually, no other semi auto service pistol (meaning a pistol adequate for military or law enforcement use) is simpler to manufacture than a glock. Even after 25 years no manufacture has been able to do better from a simplicity stand point. Simple equals less cost to manufacture. Now factor in it is a 25 year old design, meaning all the processes where developed and paid for a long time ago, plus the amount of production volume glock does is more than anybody else, and you end up with the absolute cheapest manufacturing costs. No one is building service pistols cheaper than glock.

WarEagle 1
02-21-2012, 00:50
My old Gen1 G17 fired over 15,000+ with only one malfuntion and the problem was cheap ammo. My Gen3 G22, Gen3 G17 RTF2, Gen3 G23C RTF2, and Gen4 G22 have all been flawless thus far. Even my mighty Sig has had more problems then all five of my Glocks put together.

MinnesnowtaWild
02-21-2012, 00:56
It's a problem because Glock didn't have these problems in the past. Also a problem with erratic ejection when in a self defense situation and you take brass to the eye. Not something that should happen in a defensive pistol. No excuses.

WinterWizard
02-21-2012, 01:03
1300+ rounds through it. I have about a total of 15 problems (Stove pipe, Failure to Feed, and 2x the slide didn't lock to rear).

That is more than 1 in 100 malfuntion rate. That is horrible. Who would stake their life on a pistol that will fail you 1 in 100 times. Would you take that gamble when someone is trying to kill you and you need your gun to work?

I have notice people complain about getting hit by the ejecting case...does it really matter that much? When you're focused you don't even realize it's happening.

What happens when you need to defend yourself and a casing hits you dead in the face or worse, in the eye? PISTOLS AREN'T DESIGNED TO LAUNCH SPENT CASINGS TOWARD THE SHOOTER!

Your whole post is laughable and your logic flawed. $500 is more than enough money to expect a reliable gun, especially since there are a myriad of $500 or less guns that DO function reliably, consistently and predictably.

And I don't even own a gen4 G19. But seriously, get real. I almost thought this posting was a joke at first because it's laughable.

barth
02-21-2012, 01:38
I wasn't going to post, but I'll pile on too.

My Gen 3 G27 has a few cases of ammo through it with ZERO malfunctions.
That's what I expected from a Glock.
Reliability is what won Glock contracts and made them famous world wide.
It's not unreasonable for others to expect that level of performance and quality.

Snaps
02-21-2012, 02:49
I have about a total of 15 problems (Stove pipe, Failure to Feed, and 2x the slide didn't lock to rear).

Which is why I won't buy one unless they fix those problems. 15 failures is far too much from a gun for me to even consider.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, its a $500 handgun...if you're looking for something perfect spend more...but remember, no matter how much you put into it, it will never function 100%. There are always many possibilities..
Yup, it's a 500 dollar gun based on reliability and being able to always go bang when needed. I've got expensive guns, I don't have them for the same reason at all as my Glocks. Although all of which have been 100% reliable. As has my Beretta. Those that aren't I don't own anymore.

MikeG36
02-21-2012, 03:50
Sorry to hear about the problems with your Gen4. I picked up a Gen 3 in December. it has the 336 extractor and 5593 1 spring. It has had zero malfunctions out of 1000 rounds fired. (Just hit the 1K round mark this evening.) I shoot WWB and UMC mostly but have run some +P and +P+ rounds through it. I think the pistol likes hotter rounds. I've had a few forehead case strikes with WWB or UMC but nothing with the higher pressure rounds.

RowdyatHeart
02-21-2012, 06:51
It's a problem because Glock didn't have these problems in the past. Also a problem with erratic ejection when in a self defense situation and you take brass to the eye. Not something that should happen in a defensive pistol. No excuses.

I can't argue with you----well said.

pureform1278
02-21-2012, 07:44
Gen1 G17 78,698 rounds 0 Malfunctions still with all original black internals... Love my glock... I like the old glocks i trust it more...

OctoberRust
02-21-2012, 07:49

You say the slide failed to lock back. This leads me to believe your thumb is resting on the slide release, and may be hitting the slide causing friction too. Check to make sure you're not doing these things at the range.

JBP55
02-21-2012, 14:24

And the slide cracked on the M&P. :wow:

gommer
02-21-2012, 16:37
Brass in your face is a leading indicator of future failures (stovepipes).

If you watch a slow-motion video of someone getting brass to their face from a G19 you'll see what is happening is the round literally dribbles up on top of the slide and is slapped up and back into the shooters face.

If you bought a G19 to plink at the range - not a big deal.

If you bought a G19 to defend your life with - well, that's a serious problem. I don't know about you - but if I need to use my weapon I expect that it will work.

I think Glock has it fixed, from the reports I've read. So I hate to dig on it too hard - but really as long as you don't shoot weak ammo I never saw the problem. Yes, people expect Glock's to eat weak ammo. Yes, I expect that from my Glock's, too.

Yes, I had a G19 with ejection issues. I sold it rather than deal with the drama. I'll buy another one - I just picked up a 26 a few weeks ago so I'm not in a rush.

Really, though, folks are beating this horse's corpse to oblivion. It'd be nice if we could stop making new threads about it all the time because it really detracts from other issues folks are having with different models of Glocks. Hell, it seems like it's giving people some kind of weird mental disorder.

I saw a guy at the indoor range weekend before last cursing his G21 because it was tossing brass in his face 'just like is crappy G4 G19!".

I thought that was odd so I went over to watch - it was popping brass straight out to the right - directly into the wall - and with enough force a few would bounce up and land on his head.

No doubt he felt silly after I explained to him what was actually happening.

Folks are getting G4 G19itis! :faint:

sentian
02-21-2012, 16:56
To be honest i'd 100% prefer having to avoid limpwristing and using proper ammo in order to get the features of the gen 4 glock in 9mm. Ya thats wright, i just went there... :D

egl1962
02-21-2012, 17:02
i said it before, if glock would have introduced the gen4's with the changable backstrap, new grip texture and new mag release. then left the gen3 recoil spring assembly in it, they would have been great. why you would change the design of a part on a gun that has worked for the most part flawlessly is beyond me. changes to a design should be improvments. i doubt the people at glock view the endless complaints on the unreliability of their new design as an improvment. in the past, the words malfunction and glock were seldom ever hered in the same sentance. that is not so today.

dakrat
02-21-2012, 20:42
i said it before, if glock would have introduced the gen4's with the changable backstrap, new grip texture and new mag release. then left the gen3 recoil spring assembly in it, they would have been great. why you would change the design of a part on a gun that has worked for the most part flawlessly is beyond me. changes to a design should be improvments. i doubt the people at glock view the endless complaints on the unreliability of their new design as an improvment. in the past, the words malfunction and glock were seldom ever hered in the same sentance. that is not so today.

because the new recoil spring assembly is better at reducing recoil and cycles a wide range of loads "IF" you have a proper grip. people try to concentrate on not to jerk the trigger or flinch so much that they are barely hanging on to the pistol. I could not believe how soft the .40S&W JHP felt on gen4s.

every phone nowadays has video cameras. I would like to see a video of these owners shooting this so called problematic gen 4 glocks

plouffedaddy
02-21-2012, 20:49

Agreed. My girl's G19 had a similar failure rate and I sent it back because even they agreed that is unacceptable. They replaced it, works just fine now. I have a ton of $500 guns that have been flawless:
G17 Gen3 and 4
G22 Gen4
G21 Gen3
G23 Gen3
M&P9 Pro
M&P45c
FNP9m
FNX9
FNP45
Walther PPQ
S&W BG380
Kahr CM9
Springfield Loaded 1911
Springfield TRP

All have had over 500 rounds (some much much more) through them with literally 0 failures of any type. Most are under or around $500 (1911s excluded). Point is, a gun from a reputable manufacturer should be reliable.

bama_glock
02-21-2012, 21:17
You say the slide failed to lock back. This leads me to believe your thumb is resting on the slide release, and may be hitting the slide causing friction too. Check to make sure you're not doing these things at the range.

:thumbsup: Common mistake by first timers.

ChazzMatt
02-26-2012, 13:41

No it USED to be the truth. Now it's just a catchy logo and THAT is why all the complaints.

Plus, you could get get that kind of reliability for yeah, $500.

It was like buying a Honda Accord for $20,000 or buying a Jaguar for $80,000. The Honda is sure to last you about 200,000 miles while the Jag will probably be in the shop a lot. Why doesn't everyone own a Honda? Because somehow gun mags get paid to tout custom $2,000 Colt 45s instead of $500 Glocks.

AngryRed
02-26-2012, 20:36
every phone nowadays has video cameras. I would like to see a video of these owners shooting this so called problematic gen 4 glocks

It's happening, it's a fact, and it isn't all related to shooting grip or the shooter. I'm a longtime XDm shooter but recently I bought a new Glock 23 G4. I was so impressed with it I grabbed a used G19 G4 when I saw one for sale from a local shooter. First trip to the range with the G19 I was getting pelted in the face with hot brass every other round. I actually ended up here due to researching the issue.

Same shooter (me). New G23 G4 works fine, no issues, love the gun. Older G19 G4 has issues, that's a fact and I'm hoping to learn how to remedy them.

Made in Austria
02-26-2012, 21:20

There you go! There are many more on youtube. I just don't have the time to look for more.

Gen 4 Glock 19 - YouTube

Glock 19 Gen 4 - YouTube

Glock 19: Gen 3 vs Gen 4 Comparison - Vuurwapen Blog - YouTube

Glock 19 Gen 4 Range Trip #2 - YouTube

Glock 19 Gen 4 gets jammed PART 1 - YouTube

Glock 19 Gen 4 (9x19mm) - YouTube

Glock 19 Gen4 Stock Extractor Vs. LWD 9mm Glock Extractor - YouTube

LawScholar
02-26-2012, 21:59
Then there is the oldest gun company in the world that recently came out with a rotating barrel design that some now have discovered won't function with any amount of debris in it.

If you're referring to the Beretta rotating barrel system found in the PX4 and Cougar, I'm sorry but that's untrue. Not only is the system not new (introduced in ~1990 with the Cougar, so it's about 22 years old), but the system has an excellent reliability reputation. My own PX4 is over the 3,000 mark without a hiccup, even when dry and filthy. Most PX4 and Cougar owners (original Beretta and new-production Stoeger) report the same. I'm not going to say the system is as inherently reliable as the Browning tilt-barrel, since the sample is too small to know that for sure, but unreliability concerns with the system are exceedingly rare.

09crue
02-26-2012, 22:57
I bought in Oct 2011, and since then I have fired 1300+ rounds through it. I have about a total of 15 problems (Stove pipe, Failure to Feed, and 2x the slide didn't lock to rear)..but remember, no matter how much you put into it, it will never function 100%. There are always many possibilities..
your ok with 15 problems within 1300rds? one of those 15 failures could've happened when you needed that pistol to save your life..not acceptable,especially for a Glock..

ScottieG59
11-13-2012, 00:14
It seems even the Glock fans have complaints about the Glock Gen4 19. I watched hickok45 on this and he surely does not have the good feeling on this one either. He did not have as many problems as some others, even though he used different types of weak cheap ammo.

It has me considering skipping the Glock Gen4 19. I have seen some places starting to put some on sale, such as Cabelas.

I do not think this is one of those Internet things that goes around without basis. I wonder if the Gen4 will stick around. For now, I am not buying beyond Gen3.

Raleigh Glocker
11-13-2012, 06:14

Seriously?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbgrioNpJSA

And in slow motion...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOAtSPHmgwU

And how it is now that it's back from Glock, including a new slow motion comparison of the ejection...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppsPgOnubps

Here's what I want my Gen 4 G17 to eject like...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwZ-npnBkBs

JBP55
11-13-2012, 07:38

You left out the part about the slide breaking on the M&P.

DEADEYEGUY
11-13-2012, 09:50
The biggest problem is that if you're having problems such as stovepipes the gun is not trustworthy as a self defense weapon. Any weapon that is jamming needs to be taken out of carry rotation and the reason for the problems found and corrected. that of ourse has been the rub on a lot of these guns. And as I and others have found problems often don't show up until 2000 rounds or so.
It is not acceptable on a carry gun. I have SIG's, Beretta's, HK's, CZ's, M&P 9c, older Glocks, with thousands of rounds through them with no problems. This is the type of relaibility one should trust their life to. Nothing else.

GasTurbine
11-13-2012, 12:10
http://www.n8wct.com/web/do_not_feed_the_troll.png

jetflier1989
11-13-2012, 12:36
I'm new here but not new to Glocks. As a LEO I have been around Glock 9mm's for quite a while. I have never witnessed a single problem, jam, etc on the range (108 sworn officer dept.) This is the first I have heard of these problems??? Most of our 19's and 17's are from the 2006-2009 era, all Gen 3's. Our standard issued duty round is the Winchester Ranger T 127gr +P+. Again, no problems.

QUESTION: Are these issues isolated to the Gen 4 guns only? I ask becuase we are going to a department issued weapons policy and just ordered 19's and 17's (all Gen 4) for the whole dept. I'm a little surprised at this news??? The best thing, imo about Glocks is they always worked. Not the best looking, feeling guns out there. However their impressive track record as hardly ever malfunctioning is or was a huge selling point imho?

I'm not panicking as our dept will have no qualms about sending deffective guns back to Glock. We also have two certified Glock Armorers if the issues can be fixed in house? I'm surprised I have not heard the Armorers chirping about this?

Just checked, my 19 has a test fire date from 06/08. The 30sf shows 07/09 and they both work 100%, so far. Only 800 rds through the 30 though. With the 19 I lost count, 4,000+ i'd guess.

I was looking into buying a new 21sf this year. Maybe I should wait a little bit longer to things clear up?

.50 cal
11-13-2012, 12:49
^^^^^^^^^^

The 9mm issues affect Gen3 as well

The really sad and scary thing about all this is the countless number of shooters that have put up to 800 trouble free rounds downrange and are certain they have a reliable firearm, many BTF issues don't start until at least 800 rounds

F106 Fan
11-13-2012, 13:03

There are videos all over the Internet. Do you really think this stuff is all made up?

In the past, I was ambivalent to the problem because my late model Gen 3 G21SF wasn't having a problem.

And now it is! Whatever the magic number of rounds, I hit it yesterday. Ejection was never robust but now BTF is pretty common.

It's a real good thing I never did think of using a Glock for SD. This thing will be a safe queen until Apex comes out with an extractor for Gen 3s.

Richard

F106 Fan
11-13-2012, 13:11
It has me considering skipping the Glock Gen4 19. I have seen some places starting to put some on sale, such as Cabelas.

I do not think this is one of those Internet things that goes around without basis. I wonder if the Gen4 will stick around. For now, I am not buying beyond Gen3.

And don't buy a Gen 3 manufactured after about 2008. The late model Gen 3s are having the same problem as the Gen 4s.

Nobody seems to know the day when Glock made the production change to Gen 3s so you need to go back a few years to make sure you aren't getting one of the 'improved' models.

And it's not limited to 9mm guns either. The reason there are so many complaints about 9mm as opposed to 40 S&W or .45 ACP is that there are more 9mm guns sold.

Richard

F106 Fan
11-13-2012, 13:26
I'm new here but not new to Glocks. As a LEO I have been around Glock 9mm's for quite a while. I have never witnessed a single problem, jam, etc on the range (108 sworn officer dept.) This is the first I have heard of these problems??? Most of our 19's and 17's are from the 2006-2009 era, all Gen 3's. Our standard issued duty round is the Winchester Ranger T 127gr +P+. Again, no problems.

QUESTION: Are these issues isolated to the Gen 4 guns only? I ask becuase we are going to a department issued weapons policy and just ordered 19's and 17's (all Gen 4) for the whole dept. I'm a little surprised at this news??? The best thing, imo about Glocks is they always worked. Not the best looking, feeling guns out there. However their impressive track record as hardly ever malfunctioning is or was a huge selling point imho?

I'm not panicking as our dept will have no qualms about sending deffective guns back to Glock. We also have two certified Glock Armorers if the issues can be fixed in house? I'm surprised I have not heard the Armorers chirping about this?

Just checked, my 19 has a test fire date from 06/08. The 30sf shows 07/09 and they both work 100%, so far. Only 800 rds through the 30 though. With the 19 I lost count, 4,000+ i'd guess.

I was looking into buying a new 21sf this year. Maybe I should wait a little bit longer to things clear up?

If your department will let you buy your existing gun, do it!

The problem seems to be related to guns manufactured after 2008 whether Gen 3 or Gen 4. Some suspect that the slide cut for the extractor has been changed in some way although I have never seen measurements to prove it. Others suspect the extractor itself. Of course, the RSA was all wrong on the earliest Gen 4 9mm's but, after multiple iterations, that has probably been resolved. For Gen 4s, the Apex Extractor seems to be helping. Too bad they don't make one for my late model Gen 3.

I really wonder why some agencies buy one gun versus another. I wonder if they actually do any testing or if they just shop on price. I think I would line up the candidates and shoot until the first failure on each. Last gun shooting gets the order. I guess there would need to be some pretty specific criteria describing a failure. Does getting hot brass get caught between your glasses and your eyebrow count? How about if it gets caught between your glasses and your eyeball?

Around here, the SWAT guys got tasked with choosing the new weapons when the local PD upgraded from wheel guns. They shot a bunch of guns and settled on the Sigs. Both the PD and the SO use Sigs - not a Glock in sight. AFAIK, they have no reason to regret the decision.

Richard

clarkz71
11-13-2012, 14:02
Apex IS making gen 3 extractors.

Should be availible in a few weeks, already done with testing stage.

abq87120
11-13-2012, 14:25
I bought a Gen3 G23 just as the Gen4's were coming out. I am glad I did. It's a very good gun. When I see all the problems some have on this site, it makes me think maybe I'll wait until the Gen5's come out to buy another one.

Glock's problems are not unique. I have bought many products that made me wonder if anyone actually tried to use them before they went to manufacture... Like my previous ******* electric razor. It was a piece of crap and a waste of my cash.

I'm done with new Glocks until they get serious about solving the problems they created. I'll certainly hit the pawn shops if the urge for another one hits me though.

jetflier1989
11-13-2012, 14:26
If your department will let you buy your existing gun, do it!

Officers own (paid for) their guns now but the dept (CT LEA) is switching over to a department issued policy, no choice. However, I can and will carry my current 19, which after 4,000+ rds/no issues is hopefully a "good one", as my off-duty.

I really wonder why some agencies buy one gun versus another. I wonder if they actually do any testing or if they just shop on price. I think I would line up the candidates and shoot until the first failure on each. Last gun shooting gets the order.

We switched over from the Beretta 92f to the Glock back in 2006. The SWAT team went over prior in 2002 after not being able to pass a week long SWAT school from Oklahoma City. Beretta's did not perform quick enough in the shoot and move, close quarter scenarios. Guys were contantly in decock/DA mode. At that time Glock was the ticket hands down. S&W and Sig Sauer were in the mix too. Sig won the beauty contest but everybody shot better with the Glock, bottom line.

I can tell you 100% with our department price was not an issue. The Union body voted on it.

I guess there would need to be some pretty specific criteria describing a failure. Does getting hot brass get caught between your glasses and your eyebrow count? How about if it gets caught between your glasses and your eyeball?

We don't wear eye protection on the streets so taking hot brass to the face/eyes during a gun fight is not good.

Around here, the SWAT guys got tasked with choosing the new weapons when the local PD upgraded from wheel guns. They shot a bunch of guns and settled on the Sigs. Both the PD and the SO use Sigs - not a Glock in sight. AFAIK, they have no reason to regret the decision.
Richard

Same for us. However the administration was willing to let the SWAT team keep their Glock's no matter what (too much training invested). We ended up with the same by unanimous choice.

F106 Fan
11-13-2012, 16:06
Same for us. However the administration was willing to let the SWAT team keep their Glock's no matter what (too much training invested). We ended up with the same by unanimous choice.

It'll be interesting to see how highly qualified shooters make out with the Gen 4s. I know other agencies are using them and there doesn't seem to be an uproar so it must be working out for them.

There is something appealing about the Glock manual-of-arms. Just 'point and click' which is about as simple as it can get.

Richard

Glock Dive Buddy
07-21-2014, 11:08
Greetings folks,
Frankly I don't get what all the negative publicity is all about.
I researched for over a year before getting my Glock 19 Gen 4 and carefully studied every complaint before doling out my hard earned cash for this baby. So far I fed 800 rounds of 6 different brands of ammo without a hitch. I mixed different brands and grain cartridges together into the magazine so I wouldn't know what I was firing. I even fired one handed, hand racked the slide slowly and fed snap caps between live ammo to see if it could force some kind a failure.
Guess what?
Perfection.
Any of my old guns would have had some kind of fail with that practice but my Glock would not stop functioning perfectly.
I guess i will keep reading and report back in another 800 rounds or so.

jimmudcatgrant
07-21-2014, 11:28
"Any of my old guns would have had some kind of fail with that practice but my Glock would not stop functioning perfectly."

'nuff said.

65Creed
07-21-2014, 18:29
I'm very displeased with Glock these days and what they have done. They can do a lot better than they have been.

But, all the share holders want a bigger and bigger check every quarter. The only way to increase profits is to decrease cost. The big wigs don't care about the end user of the product. They only care about their bottom line and see everything in black and white.

They decrease cost by making things cheaper, and in the process, you get what we have here with the new Glocks.

Completely unacceptable Glock! :steamed:

Please tell me where I can purchase stock in Glock. What symbol do they trade under?

65Creed
07-21-2014, 18:32
Greetings folks,
Frankly I don't get what all the negative publicity is all about.
I researched for over a year before getting my Glock 19 Gen 4 and carefully studied every complaint before doling out my hard earned cash for this baby. So far I fed 800 rounds of 6 different brands of ammo without a hitch. I mixed different brands and grain cartridges together into the magazine so I wouldn't know what I was firing. I even fired one handed, hand racked the slide slowly and fed snap caps between live ammo to see if it could force some kind a failure.
Guess what?
Perfection.
Any of my old guns would have had some kind of fail with that practice but my Glock would not stop functioning perfectly.
I guess i will keep reading and report back in another 800 rounds or so.

2 year old thread about a well documented issue. Glock has most likely sorted some things out since Feb of 2012.

G-30SF
07-22-2014, 01:21
NYPD had issues with their "new" Glock 19's in 1996 (see link below)...it was called a "Phase Three" Malfunction"...I just love to hear about the good-old-days when Glocks were bullet-proof, incredibly relaible, no issues ever...read the following and become educated... :wow:

http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/phase3.html

Larry V
07-22-2014, 02:14
I would get rid of my Gun if it had that many problems. Fortunately none of my 19 Glocks have had any issues. A lot of Glock issues are caused by the operator. I am firmly convinced of this.I have friends who shoot my Glocks and they have issues with them. Then I pick up the gun and fire one flawless round after another. Its all in your grip, it that simple.

Chowser
07-22-2014, 06:05
necro thread!

Picked up a new gen4 19 last week, yellow envelope date 04/23/14.

Fed everything I had on hand. Speer Lawmen TMJ, WWB, Ultramax, Winchester Ranger.

No failure to feed or fire. Had about 3 brass to top of head (at least it wasn't the face or forehead). But as with my issued gen4 31, the brass issue seems to happen during fast firing (double/triple taps) and not with the Ranger rounds.

I can live with that.

Same thing happens with my gen4 21. Duty rounds are no problem. It's the weaker stuff. I did notice that shooting WWB in .45 with a suppressor, the brass was just coming out and falling down the side of the gun. No issues with JHP rounds.

I'm done ordering WWB. I'll make the city spring more for the Speer or switch back to Ultramax.

dakrat
07-22-2014, 07:02

epic fail :rofl: