Nostalgia build [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Nostalgia build

bluejackets92fs
02-21-2012, 01:40
So when it comes to guns, I have a real soft spot for old school stuff. I want a 1911 and I'm ordering my Colt XSE Combat Elite soon. That will get my fix. I still have a void to fill. Here is my question. I really want to build an A1 WW2 replica with a modern twist. After some discussion, I want to have an adjustable trigger that isn't skelotonized, and I want GI style sights. Someone suggested 10-8 Performance rear sights that look like GI sights with a brass front sight so I'm not limited to my shooting capabilities ie. if I ever want to do some serious target shooting with it. Blade sights are very limiting to me.

I don't want to do this on a platform like Rock Island. I want as close to military issue as possible and that includes manufacturer. I think I want to use either a Colt or Springfield Armory, maybe even Remington but their R1 isn't going to work right. The gun also has to be series 70. If Springfield it would have to be a USA made model. I don't want " Made in Brazil" on the frame of this gun. So If anyone has any suggestions or has done something similar I want some ideas and suggestions. Speak freely here, I'm all ears because this was a "sitting at the bar", out of the blue idea.

My ultimate goal with the build is to have it blued a really nice polished hot blue. If I go Depending on my base line, I may have to have it bead blasted down to bare metal to allow for my style of finish wants. I haven't set a price on this build. I'd hope to keep it around $1000. If I go Colt I may be over on this, Springfield would be doable at that price point. Thanks in advance for any ideas or suggestion.

jrs93accord
02-21-2012, 02:08
You need to find you an older Springfield Mil-Spec.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m8/jamesrea_2006/jamesrea2011/001-21.jpg

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m8/jamesrea_2006/jamesrea2011/003-17.jpg

MajorD
02-21-2012, 10:35
find an older usgi gun and call it done- or a new series 70 and call it done. all springfields are made at least in part in Brazil

faawrenchbndr
02-21-2012, 11:07
Hey,......that Mil-spec looks familiar!
How's she shootin James?

I agree with James,......Springfield for a build on that budget.
However, a polish & hot blue job is $400+......a good bit of your budget.

jrs93accord
02-21-2012, 14:36
Hey,......that Mil-spec looks familiar!
How's she shootin James?

I agree with James,......Springfield for a build on that budget.
However, a polish & hot blue job is $400+......a good bit of your budget.

Hey Greg. She still shoots beautifully. I love this pistol.

bluejackets92fs
02-21-2012, 17:38
So after browsing armslist this morning I found a Colt Series 70 Government Model blued for $650. Needless to say, it's sleeping in my safe now. Not sure I can do anything to such a nice looking gun though. No harm in two 1911s, right?

bac1023
02-22-2012, 06:23
Get a Colt series 70. Colt builds the best guns for a base, in my opinion.

bluejackets92fs
02-22-2012, 07:41
Get a Colt series 70. Colt builds the best guns for a base, in my opinion.

Way ahead of you there. Picked one up last night.