M1 Garand guys, I need a price check please [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : M1 Garand guys, I need a price check please

sebecman
02-21-2012, 12:50
This is for sale near me, can anyone offer an opinion on weather or not it's a good deal? I have no idea what CAI reciever means to the value....here's the text and pic from the ad, Thanks

"M-1 Garand. Very good condition and shoots awsome. CAI reciever made in USA the rest of it is Springfield." Price $500
http://www.unclehenrys.com/init/photos/img_3969081_2012_02_19_12_33_43.jpg

m2hmghb
02-21-2012, 12:57
PASS. The CAI receivers are NOT good. They are cast and had issues with functioning. Go to thecmp.org and look it over. Join the Garand collectors association for your affiliated club. It's that simple.

Openroadracer
02-21-2012, 13:24
Don't do it. Get a real one from the CMP.

Jason D
02-21-2012, 18:24
You never want to buy one with a CAI receiver.
Fulton has one once that was so out of spec, they would have never recommended them for anything.

The CMP is your best shot for a cheap real one.
The requirements aren't that hard to meet.

You need to be a US Citizen.
You need to be a member of a CMP affiliate. ORPA and GCA both qualify.
Lastly you need to meet the shooting requirement. Fortunately the CMP will take your CCW NRA certificate as proof of marksmanship.

You can get a Garand for as little as 599.

Rick O'Shay
02-21-2012, 19:03
Run away, do not walk.
CAI makes some awful stuff.
My guess is that the barrel is shot out also.

beatcop
02-21-2012, 19:06
1. Do not buy that gun!

2. Do not buy a Garand. (danger...blasphemy....antiquated design....bent op rod...no gas adj, avoid modern ammo)

faawrenchbndr
02-21-2012, 19:14
I'd give only about $50 for that POS! Avoid a CIA receiver like the plague!

Wyoming
02-21-2012, 19:45
NO :wow:

m2hmghb
02-21-2012, 21:23
1. Do not buy that gun!

2. Do not buy a Garand. (danger...blasphemy....antiquated design....bent op rod...no gas adj, avoid modern ammo)

It's not antiquated, the M14 uses the same gas system just modified. Heck you can excahnge several parts of the M14 in the M1 Garand. The op rods only bend if you use the wrong ammo, IE stuff that is too hot. Quite a few manufacturers make ammo that is fine for the M1, including hunting ammunition. If in doubt call the company up. I know Winchester, Federal, and Hornady all make ammo suitable for it.

sebecman
02-22-2012, 06:43
That's a resounding NO.....Thanks for the help everyone!

:wavey:

Bob Hafler
02-22-2012, 07:25
1. Do not buy that gun!

Well I hate to tell you this but there are alot of people who love the M1 Garand. Me being one of them. It's like owning a piece of American history. There are quite a few ammo manufactures that make ammo designed specifically for the M1 Garand. Sorry (sad really) you can't appreciate such a fine weapon from the past. If you ever come to your senses though and decide to get one we'll leave the light on for ya. :supergrin:

faawrenchbndr
02-22-2012, 08:19
It's not antiquated, the M14 uses the same gas system just modified. Heck you can excahnge several parts of the M14 in the M1 Garand. The op rods only bend if you use the wrong ammo, IE stuff that is too hot. Quite a few manufacturers make ammo that is fine for the M1, including hunting ammunition. If in doubt call the company up. I know Winchester, Federal, and Hornady all make ammo suitable for it.

There's a WHOLE lot of wrong in this post!
Nearly NOTHING is interchangeable, gas systems are
COMPLETELY different!

Get you facts straight,..........your'sook like a mountain road!

Brucev
02-22-2012, 09:11
This is for sale near me, can anyone offer an opinion on weather or not it's a good deal? I have no idea what CAI reciever means to the value....here's the text and pic from the ad, Thanks

"M-1 Garand. Very good condition and shoots awsome. CAI reciever made in USA the rest of it is Springfield." Price $500
http://www.unclehenrys.com/init/photos/img_3969081_2012_02_19_12_33_43.jpg

Run away. It is a Frankengarand... bits of this and bits of that assembled on a non-standard receiver. For $500 you are paying a high price for a parts kit. At the CMP you can buy a USGI Service Grade M-1 that is backed by excellent customer service for $600 plus shipping. Over the years I've bought 7 M-1 rifles... either form the CMP or from individuals who purchased from the CMP. Without exception the rifles have been excellent.

MajorD
02-22-2012, 09:54
I don't know FAA- the hammers triggers safeties rear sights all interchange so yes some parts interchange- the only thing I see wrong with the post is the gas system is quite a bit different- everything else looks spot on- BTW I've been using m-1's for about 30 years now- never broke one, never bent an op rod

AZ Jeff
02-22-2012, 13:16
"FAA" is correct in one aspect. The M14 uses the "White gas cut-off and expansion" gas system, whereas the M1 Garand uses the long stroke piston system.

The theory to the White system is it is more tolerant of variations in loads.

Neither system will give you ANY trouble if you feed them the ammunition for which the gun is designed--M80 or M2 ball, respectively, or their handloaded equivalents.

The trigger assy. pieces, extractors/ejectors and rear sight pieces are interchangeable, with some slight performance variations (M14 sight drum in meters, M1 in yards, for example).

Jon_R
02-22-2012, 15:50
I am not saying buy it and certainly not at $500 but I have a CAI Garand and it works flawlessly built with a spectacular Danish barrel and USGI or Beretta parts kit. I bought it for $350 I think it was. It is a low serial number 11k and works as well or better then my SA Garands. If it is all USGI parts in good shape other then the receiver you still have a $300+ parts kit. If the barrel is actually good another $100+ just in parts.

If you want the short answer don't buy CAI they are bad. If you want the longer answer it depends.....

If you can drive to one of the CMP stores just do that and buy one... Don't wait to long though. I am thinking about getting another one. :) For the most part every 100 they sell is about 80 leaving the market and might not ever return. I hope to pass them down to kids and never sell them.

m2hmghb
02-22-2012, 16:33
There's a WHOLE lot of wrong in this post!
Nearly NOTHING is interchangeable, gas systems are
COMPLETELY different!

Get you facts straight,..........your'sook like a mountain road!

The triggers are interchangable, the hammer, the hammer springs, the rear sight assembly. I don't remember about the trigger guard locking system. The M14s gas system is an improved design from the M1 Garand. They use the same style of design and the same mechanisms. Before acting like a jerk try getting your facts straight. I've used M14 parts on M1s before and have seen them on CMP M1s before.

So let's see, that means the receiver, barrel, operating rod, gas piston, and operating rod spring won't interchange. The parts that will exchange are the peep sight, the elevation and windage drum for the sight, the spring for the sight, the trigger, the hammer, and the hammer spring.

A post about it from Bill Ricca
http://m14forum.com/reference/39860-garand-parts-usage-commercial-m14-type-rifles.html

Tank44
02-23-2012, 22:00
CMP is the way to go. Pass on this turkey.