Which 700 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Which 700

spanky99l
02-21-2012, 15:34
Looking to get a Remington 700 Bolt Gun in 308.

Stopped in at Sportsmans warehouse yesterday and fell in love with the Remington 700 SPS Tactical AAC-SD but hated the color (grey/green). Did some research and found you can get one with a black stock and with an AAC flash hider already installed (plan is to put a can on it). Price at Buds is 685

Stopped in at my local gun shop to see if he could order and price and he recommended just going to buds and have it shipped out to him to save on tax (9.1% here). Hanging on the wall he had a brand new 700P with HS stock. The 700P was really what i want but had difficulty finding one. Price was 875 plus tax (total 964.23)

My question is which one to get? Is the police version THAT much better? I would like to eventually put a can on so with the police would require threading the barrel. Plus the AAC-SD comes with a 20 inch barrel and the Police has a 26.

What to do?

TIA

Will

D3S3RT_P3NGU1N
02-21-2012, 16:34
Looking to get a Remington 700 Bolt Gun in 308.

Stopped in at Sportsmans warehouse yesterday and fell in love with the Remington 700 SPS Tactical AAC-SD but hated the color (grey/green). Did some research and found you can get one with a black stock and with an AAC flash hider already installed (plan is to put a can on it). Price at Buds is 685

Stopped in at my local gun shop to see if he could order and price and he recommended just going to buds and have it shipped out to him to save on tax (9.1% here). Hanging on the wall he had a brand new 700P with HS stock. The 700P was really what i want but had difficulty finding one. Price was 875 plus tax (total 964.23)

My question is which one to get? Is the police version THAT much better? I would like to eventually put a can on so with the police would require threading the barrel. Plus the AAC-SD comes with a 20 inch barrel and the Police has a 26.

What to do?

TIA

Will

I'd go with the AAC. A 26" barrel isn't really necessary on a .308, a 20" is more than capable of taking you out to 1000 yards. The 700P also has a 1:12 twist while the AAC has a 1:10, which will make it better suited the likes of the 175gr SMKs and 155gr Scenars.

Its true that the stock on the AAC is its weak point and the HS on the 700P is better, but you'd be far better served by spending that extra $300 on your optics. What scopes are you considering anyway?

zhix
02-21-2012, 16:41
I was looking at 700's too, but I wanted something with a barrel longer than 20", but shorter than 26. I also wanted a detachable magazine and threaded barrel in case I got a suppressor.
I ended up getting a Savage 10 FCP-SR. Its the closest thing I could find to getting exactly what I want;

-24" heavy fluted, threaded barrel
-detachable 10rd. box magazine
-'accustock' and 'accutrigger'

The only thing I don't care for is the camo stock, but I may have the whole thing Duracoated or Cerakoted grey.
Price was $895 plus tax.

Syclone538
02-21-2012, 17:07
Off topic, but since you are thinking about a gun with a HS stock and a gun with something else, I thought I'd mention it.

HS Precision will never see any of my money.

Search hs precision lon horiuchi if interested.

hoghunter82
02-21-2012, 17:49
I don't get the feeling this is for deer or hog hunting. If so, just get the entry level 700 and spend double on the optics. Every time I get the itch for a new deer rifle I think about how my $300 Wally World Rem 700 just flat kills anything I aim at. I'd love to get a tricked out bull barrel, wood grain, jewel trigger set up- but I just can't justify it.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Teecher45
02-21-2012, 19:44
I don't get the feeling this is for deer or hog hunting. If so, just get the entry level 700 and spend double on the optics. Every time I get the itch for a new deer rifle I think about how my $300 Wally World Rem 700 just flat kills anything I aim at. I'd love to get a tricked out bull barrel, wood grain, jewel trigger set up- but I just can't justify it.
+1
Any 700. Then really good mount, and great scope.
It will out shoot 99% of anyone that tries it.

ModGlock17
02-22-2012, 11:20
+1
Any 700. Then really good mount, and great scope.
It will out shoot 99% of anyone that tries it.

+1

Got a basic SPS Varmint, 26", put on a basic 25x, replaced stock with a Choate Ultimate Varmint, reloading 168 Sierra MK with Varget. Put more lead inside the Choate stock, about 2 more lbs, and it is steady platform. Doing roughly 0.3" groups at 100yards with ease in mild wind conditions, repeatably, possibly better if I am more patient.

Having a heck of a time. The gun is only a few weeks old. Stock trigger at lowest setting 2+ lbs, may be a Jewel trigger is next. I felt one at the range that was set at 4 ounce trip point and it was really nice.

Outdoor Hub mobile

AustinTx
02-22-2012, 17:29
Hanging on the wall he had a brand new 700P with HS stock.

I have a Remington 700 VS .223 with a 24 inch barrel and HS Precision stock . I think they only offered it in 24 in. for about 2 yr. But, the HS Precision stock is really worth the money, IMO.