Saiga spare parts [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Saiga spare parts

FLA45fan
02-21-2012, 15:22
Any recommendations on what spare parts to have for my Saiga 7.62x39? Anything I should have back-ups on? I have a nice little parts bag for the Glock 19 but nothing for the rifle.

Thx

RMTactical
02-21-2012, 15:48
Is it a Saiga conversion or just a plain jane Saiga?

A spare bolt, firing pin, mag release, FCG, and piston would probably be good to have on hand.

Extra mags and ammo couldnt hurt...

I've always said, the best spare parts to have is a complete rifle.

FLA45fan
02-21-2012, 19:35
It's a plain Jane - I've got over 1200 rounds and 6 mags (AK's modified for Saiga use)

Also, any opinions on the best places to get any recommended parts - thx again!

RYT 2BER
02-21-2012, 21:22
It's a plain Jane - I've got over 1200 rounds and 6 mags (AK's modified for Saiga use)

Also, any opinions on the best places to get any recommended parts - thx again!

I should know the answer to this... I see you are saying ak mags modified for saiga use ... saigas don't use standard an mags correct?

RMTactical
02-21-2012, 21:39
I should know the answer to this... I see you are saying ak mags modified for saiga use ... saigas don't use standard an mags correct?

This is correct. You can modify your Saiga to take standard mags, or you can modify the mags to work with your Saiga. I prefer the former personally in mine. Sounds like he has the latter.

Here's mine, converted.

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u87/RMTactical/IMG_0007.jpg

Lone Kimono
02-21-2012, 23:23
If you can find one for $299 just buy another and put it away. Best spare parts kit you can have.

silentpoet
02-21-2012, 23:32
I dont see another rifle as the best spare parts kit. Parts that break may break more than once. Then you are screwed. Two it is an expensive parts kit. I say buy the parts that commonly break and parts you can replace even if they don't commonly break. I am not against standardizing on multiples of one rifle, but I think considering another gun a spare parts kit is foolish.

RatDrall
02-22-2012, 04:19
Few people will ever shoot a Saiga enough to break a part, but if you do, Arsenal makes a spare parts kit:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/179085/arsenal-inc-maintenance-kit-ak-47-762x39mm-russian

I dont see another rifle as the best spare parts kit. Parts that break may break more than once. Then you are screwed. Two it is an expensive parts kit. I say buy the parts that commonly break and parts you can replace even if they don't commonly break. I am not against standardizing on multiples of one rifle, but I think considering another gun a spare parts kit is foolish.

If the part that breaks is one that you don't know how to replace, or don't have the tools for, or you screw something else up doing the repair, or you lose a spring, or any number of other things going wrong, a spare rifle is the best option.

Do keep a manual, and any specialty tools, in a case of some kind with any spare parts kits...

sebecman
02-22-2012, 06:23
I dont see another rifle as the best spare parts kit......, but I think considering another gun a spare parts kit is foolish.

Zero down time, no tools required, no potential for lost parts or breaking more parts while changing parts...ya that's silly.

FLA45fan
02-22-2012, 07:05
I do have another Saiga - a .308 in a different location - I wanted a parts kit for my emergency bag. One rifle, one handgun - minimal load behind h2o, food, shelter & fire.

Sweet gun RMT. Thx for the link RatDrall.

silentpoet
02-22-2012, 07:44
Zero down time, no tools required, no potential for lost parts or breaking more parts while changing parts...ya that's silly.

It is another gun not a spare parts kit. Did you read the whole thing, it is foolish to consider another gun a spare parts kit. Have parts, have multiples of guns. Don't confuse the two.

sebecman
02-22-2012, 08:42
Agreed. I am not suggesting that if your firing pin breaks that you remove the one from your second gun, that would be lame.

I guess I see having another gun that you can just grab as better than having a spare parts kit.

RMTactical
02-22-2012, 09:23
It is another gun not a spare parts kit. Did you read the whole thing, it is foolish to consider another gun a spare parts kit. Have parts, have multiples of guns. Don't confuse the two.

Both, spare parts and spare guns is best, and that is what I have with AR15's. Several AR15's, and more spare parts (the ones that most commonly break) than would last me a lifetime...

Of course, when out and about, a complete rifle as a spare is silly and just going to weigh you down. In that case, spare parts work best. At home, a spare rifle works best in the short term.

When I first started building AR15's though I had spare parts and one rifle... then tons of spare parts and two rifles... and as my spare parts built up, I pretty much had a third rifle. All I needed was a barrel and a lower receiver... made for a really cheap build...