Want a high end AR, can't decide....Larue or Noveske? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Want a high end AR, can't decide....Larue or Noveske?

DrtyHarry
02-21-2012, 15:41
The AR bug has bitten be bad and I'm hoping you guys can help me with some decisions. I want a high end .223 or 6.8spc 16" AR (yeah....caliber is also in question).

I currently have an older 16" Colt AR-15 in .223. Can't really get a new fancy upper for it because it has the older style pin connector. I'd like to keep that one as is, who knows....maybe it will go up in value one day, got it from my old man when I was a kid. I put close to 5K rounds down range with that old Colt. No fancy optics or anything, I shot it well with just the iron sights. It's my only rifle currently chambered in .223. Time for a new AR, this time with all the bells and whistles and from a high end shop.

I recently picked up two other black rifles. I have a DMPS SASS in .308 (18") as well as an RRA in .308 (16"). I got them as parts of a trade, both NIB. Anyway, I want something smaller than a .308. Both these rifles run extremely well and they eat pretty much anything I feed them. I know DPMS doesn't have the best reputation, I can't for the life of me think why....thing is a tack driver!

I have a new (complete) RRA lower that I bought to build my own AR with. Well, after some thought... I don't have the time, tools, or patience to build it myself. So, now I'm looking for an AR from one of the finer shops, and I narrowed the models that I liked down to Larue and Noveske.

I went ahead and picked up a .458 SOCOM upper for the RRA lower that I had, and put it aside for the hogs.

I'd like to know the pros and cons of both the Larue and Noveske models. I know they are both top shelf and can't go wrong either way. I'm looking to stay around the $2-$2.5K mark.

I think I want .223 but am considering 6.8spc after reading more about it. Never shot one in this caliber. I know 6.8spc is more expensive to shoot and I'll have a harder time finding ammo and mags when need be....but when making a $2K+ investment, I want to be sure I get what I really want. And the 6.8spc looks like an amazing round for the AR platform. Maybe buy the rifle in 6.8spc and wait until I can collect more funds and get a .223 upper for it? Dono.

I plan to use this rifle for some mid game hunting, as well as at the range and for use as an HD tool. I'm fine with a 16" barrel....and don't mind getting new 6.8spc mags. I plan to start reloading soon as I have a terrible 10mm habit as well. Oh, and I have no plans to suppress the rifle....at least not at the moment.

Any input on Larue and Noveske will be greatly appreciated. Sadly, I can't find either of the two to look at up close up in my neck of the woods, much less find someone that will let me shoot/test one.

It would be much easier for me to decide if I could see/handle and fire the two, but seeing as I can't do either...I'm going to rely quite a bit on your opinions. Thanks to Clint-M for all his help with my questions.

Harry

faawrenchbndr
02-21-2012, 16:11
Noveske would be my pick,........better barrel.

DrtyHarry
02-21-2012, 16:17

The SS or the chrome lined version? Why?

Harry

GSSF17
02-21-2012, 17:04
The SS or the chrome lined version? Why?

Harry

I guess you have to decide if you want chrome lined for long term punishment, or the SS for the accuracy. I'd pick SS only cause I am partial to it, and you said you'd be hunting.

I believe that LaRue's barrels are not chrome lined, and made by Lothar Walther, with polygonal rifling. The Noveske SS barrels also have the polygonal rifling, and from what I have read, Noveske uses Pac-Nor barrel blanks.

I don't have extensive experience with either brands' SS barrels, and am interested in any responses you get.

Mayhem like Me
02-21-2012, 17:09

That's up for debate, I have both an the stealth 16 out shoots my Afghan 14.5 with all loads.
Stealth has a LW 1x8 poly
Afghan has 1x7 poly..

Better barrel is subjective, since accuracy is very close and fit and finish is a draw, I give the nod to Larue for the rail system.

The NOVESKE SWS built rails are just a tad too heavy with no increase in performance IMHO.

FYI LW50 steel used in LW barrels is stainless and very tough.

Stealth Barrels are IONbond treated

faawrenchbndr
02-21-2012, 17:32
Hmmmmmm, I'll stick with Noveske.

A stainless barrel is always a tad more accurate than chrome
lined. The chrome can not be evenly applied, thus creating a
uneven surface upon the rifling.
PS
Don't get me wrone, I dearly LOVE Larue, just like Noveske
barrels a bit better. How about a Larue with a Noveskle barrel?

Cole125
02-21-2012, 18:28
You already have a stripped lower, use it. Buy a Noveske upper.

Building a lower is very easy and does not take much time.

FreakyBig
02-21-2012, 18:44
I'd go with Noveske or Knights Armament SR15.

If you've already got the lower, just pick up a Noveske upper for it.

HAIL CAESAR
02-21-2012, 18:47
If someone else makes a quality product BESIDES LaRue.......

I always buy that before buying a LaRue.

dakrat
02-21-2012, 19:03
I support those who support the troops. Larue gives military discount :thumbsup:

thisaway
02-21-2012, 19:43
You can't really go wrong with either maker. LaRue makes rifles that are perhaps better for hunting/target shooting. Noveske makes rifles that would perhaps be better for combat or extremely high volume shooting.

For what you want, in the 6.8mm round, IMHO, get a LaRue.

HAIL CAESAR
02-21-2012, 19:43
Noveske gives LE and Military discounts. They do this without advertising this and bragging about it at ever chance.

Noveske also has a superb warranty, again they do this without beating their drum on every forum.

The only thing Noveske doesn't do is act like a complete arse, an overbearing child, egomaniac with inferiority issues.

Noveske just builds quality products.

battlin bulldog
02-21-2012, 20:07
Im saving for a noveske right now myself. And their military discount is very generous.

ScrapMetal
02-21-2012, 20:22
I'm pretty sure you couldn't go wrong with either/or. I'd go with Noveske, but that is a personal preferance. I have an 18" SS Noveske that is definitely the most accurate 5.56 AR I own. I have no experience with LaRue rifles, but everything that comes up on all the forums is always positive. If I were you, I'd get the best of both worlds (Noveske rifle with LaRue optic mount).

I put this one together a few months ago specifically for a suppressor. 14.5" HF/CL with switchblock.

http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i427/ScrapMetal762/NFFL1.jpg

http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i427/ScrapMetal762/NFFL3.jpg

DrtyHarry
02-21-2012, 20:44
That sure is a beautiful rifle sir!! :shocked:

Harry

WoodenPlank
02-21-2012, 22:04
I'm pretty sure you couldn't go wrong with either/or. I'd go with Noveske, but that is a personal preferance. I have an 18" SS Noveske that is definitely the most accurate 5.56 AR I own. I have no experience with LaRue rifles, but everything that comes up on all the forums is always positive. If I were you, I'd get the best of both worlds (Noveske rifle with LaRue optic mount).

I put this one together a few months ago specifically for a suppressor. 14.5" HF/CL with switchblock.

http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i427/ScrapMetal762/NFFL1.jpg

http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i427/ScrapMetal762/NFFL3.jpg

What's with the gold-ish colored charging handle?

ScrapMetal
02-22-2012, 12:07
That would be a PRI gasbuster anodized in FDE. At first I wasn't really sure why I went with the FDE :freak:.....but it's grown on me.