Proper Sight Picture [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Proper Sight Picture

IDCG
02-21-2012, 21:24
Hello Mas

What is the proper sight picture for "combat" shooting? I've heard that target shooters use the six o'clock hold, so their sights won't cover up the x-ring, but what sight picture is recommended for combat shooting? What I've been practicing is focusing on the front sight (target is blurry) and putting the front sight "dot" right on what I want to hit. Is this the correct technique? Is distance a factor?

Thanks!

Ira

Mas Ayoob
02-22-2012, 07:12
Actually, relative precision is the factor, encompassing not only distance but size of target. As Brian Enos said so classically about aiming, "see what you need to see."

In close, just the front sight by itself, seen superimposed on the target's chest, should get the bullet into the chest. Much past seven yards, you want some approximation of the post in notch or three dot sight picture. Since you don't have a fixed-size bulls-eye, six o'clock sighting won't do you much good. Center hold as you described is the usual default. The farther or smaller the target, the more you want to focus on the front sight, and some accomplished marksmen even make a point of focusing on the top edge of that front sight.

best,
Mas