Hornady FTX or XTP full power loads in M&P340 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Hornady FTX or XTP full power loads in M&P340

whitebread
02-22-2012, 08:12
I notice that many manufacturers make 'short barrel' or mid-power/low flash .357 Magnum loads for use in light weight, short barrel guns. From what I gather, jumping the crimp is the main problem.

Is anyone carrying the full house Hornady FTX or XTP cartridges?

I have no concerns with recoil from these loads and they seem to work fine at the range. Should I be concerned carrying them?

G19aps
02-22-2012, 13:21
After verifying with the fire 4 and check the last one, the only concern I would have is nerve damage and slower recovery times.

whitebread
02-22-2012, 15:40
This is going to make me appear to have a single digit IQ, but I didn't think of firing four and measuring the last. I will give it a try tomorrow!

I would love to hear if someone here carries them.

2740dmx
02-23-2012, 06:56
Can't help you with those particular choices in ammo...
but did fire my 340 M&P yesterday.

I use the Speer Gold Dot short barrel in 135gr .357magnum.

They are pretty controllable, but for some reason, my hand was stinging a bit yesterday!

Maybe it was all the 9mm practice I had completed, just prior to pulling the 340 from my cargo pocket and blasting away at arms length!

I will be watching this thread to see if anyone shoots the ammo you mentioned...through a 340! :shocked:

whitebread
02-23-2012, 09:24
Well, I just shot a box of 125 grain XTP through my 340. The COL for the fifth round consistently grew .010-0.012". I would consider this unacceptable.

On the plus side, 125 grain Fiocchi SJHP only measured 0.002-0.003" longer after firing four rounds. This number doesn't bother me - you can easily find that much variance within a box of ammo.

ashtxsniper
02-23-2012, 10:00
I fired some 357 125grn xtps out of my S&W 340 PD and they were brutal. I carry 135 grn speed gold dot short barrel 357 mag in mine.

whitebread
02-23-2012, 11:11
I just ordered some of the fabled Gold Dot 135 grain short barrel. Thanks for the tips.

fowler
02-28-2012, 10:30
The 340 is to lite for it to be controllable with anything ,but standard vel. 38 spec. target wadcutters. Forget repeat shots with any accuracy with anything more powerfull. The SW340 is a useless to shoot snubby ,but it is a few oz. lighter than a 642-442 which really hurts its usefullness. The 442-642 are better combat snubbys. Maybe standard 38spec.110gr. would be usefull in the 340 thats about the only other option. In this case lighter is not better!

whitebread
04-04-2012, 09:22
Update: I have been experimenting a bit with different ammo. I really think those 135 grain short barrel Gold Dots are winners. They chronograph consistently at 1080-1090fps average on ten shot strings. I am getting a good 220+fps slower with hot .38 +P rounds...even with lighter 124 grain bullets.

And the more I shoot this gun, the more I get use to the kick. It shoots a bit high, but I can knock down five 8" plates at 25 yards with five shots in about 2.7 seconds without much trouble.

G19aps
04-04-2012, 12:22
but I can knock down five 8" plates at 25 yards with five shots in about 2.7 seconds without much trouble.

That's Jerry Miculek fast. :wow: I gotta see that if you have vid.

whitebread
04-04-2012, 12:41
I am not taking about from a draw, though. From first shot to last. I shall take a video next time I go to the range. Hopefully this weekend?

Chup
04-14-2012, 11:53
Has anyone done any penetration tests with XTP bullets? I shot sum threw water jugs and it seemed to have too much penetration.

fastbolt
04-23-2012, 11:45
After verifying with the fire 4 and check the last one, the only concern I would have is nerve damage and slower recovery times.

Okay, that elicited a chuckle out me. :)

Speer probably started the "short barrel" snub ammo ball rolling when NYPD asked them to make a .38 Spl +P load that would more consistently expand when fired from the typical short "2 inch" J-frame.

According to their own report, instead of trying to tweak their existing 125gr +P .38 load, they designed a new bullet. They supposedly wanted to approach some of the performance characteristics of the NYPD duty 9mm load (their 124gr +P GDHP), with which the agency was satisfied, and they came up with a 135gr bullet for the new .38 Spl +P load.

Now we've seen some other companies looking to attract interest in this segment of the defensive ammunition market. (I also like the Winchester .38 Spl PDX1 130gr +P, myself, which is sold in 50-rd boxes for LE as the Ranger RA38B and 20-rd boxes as the PDX1 on the commercial market.

I follow the S&W recommendation of checking ammo used in my M&P 340's (1 w/lock & 1 w/o), to confirm no bullet pull occurs with ammo I buy. When iw as first checking some various magnum loads in my first M&P 340, I found a couple which exhibited bullet pull, and some which didn't ... in my gun, in my hands, using those loads. I'll continue to double check different production lots/boxes of the same loads that worked, though, just to confirm different production lots don't give me different results.

Even though I've found some Magnum loads which worked well in my M&P 340s', and I used them for practice & quals at one time or another, I typically use standard and +P loads for practice & quals nowadays, and carry +P loads. While I can make accurate and rapid doubles and triples out to 10 yards with the heavy recoiling Magnum loads, I can do so even faster using the +P loads.

I prize accuracy AND speed AND controllability AND sufficient penetration occurring with expansion ... even when shooting the diminutive snubs ... and especially when considering I may not have both hands, or my strong hand, available under the chaotic & dynamic conditions of an actual shooting event.

If I want to shoot Magnum loads in a 5-shot snub, I'll pull my SP101 DAO out of the safe and carry/use it. ;)