Wise food buckets / Rice [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Wise food buckets / Rice

Aceman
02-22-2012, 09:42
Read about the Wise food buckets. Any new comments?

Was thinking about maybe putting a few of those up, and then cutting them with rice for extended mileage and sodium reduction.

Also, While I keep rice in a large quantity for the pantry, I don't have any in buckets. What is a cheap easy way to do that?
-What bucket?
-what rice?
-dessicant?

sebecman
02-22-2012, 09:50
I am interested as well. I am a big fan of MH cans and have been eyeing the *ahem*.. "deals"..on Wise buckets lately. I have a friend that has a bunch but I can't get him to agree to open one for sampling.

I like the idea of the mixed/assorted pouches in a bucket - better diet diversity than #10 cans, IMO.

Have also same concerns on the sodium content.

RE: Rice, I have a bucket of plain white rice, used pickle bucket from a local resturant, mylar bagged, with 2 O2 absorbers. I got the bag and th eabsorbers from beprepared.com - Did it up about 4 years ago and have no idea if it will be good when I need it. We eat just enough rice that we have about 20-30 pounds on hand any given time and rotate it. The bucket is just a bonus.

Brown rice is better for you but also spoils quicker.

quake
02-22-2012, 10:46
I use plain white, long-grain, enriched rice, usually from Sam's club. Somewhat lower nutritional value, but MUCH longer-term storable, than brown or even basmati rice.

Buckets vary - used to be normal plastic 5-gallon from home depot, TSC, etc. Lately (last year or two) I've instead used square 4-gallon buckets. They stack & store more space-efficiently; they are a little more expensive on a per-gallon basis than typical round buckets, but not terribly so and the space savings is worth it to me personally.

I use oxygen absorbers and mylar bags from www.sorbentsystems.com - 20x30 iirc; I may be wrong on the size, but they list them as "good for five-gallon buckets" on their site, whichever size that is. Typically 2000cc of O2 absorber per bucket. That may be slight overkil, but as my son says, "Overkill is underrated." :supergrin:

wjv
02-22-2012, 11:43
Looked at Wise. they have a higher Sodium count, and lower calorie count (sometimes half) as the similar Mountain House.

I'm just waiting for Outdoor Sports to have one of their buy two, get one free on MH food. . .Then I'll stock up.

WolfNotSheep
02-22-2012, 12:46
The Wise food buckets have very low calorie servings (as in 250-350 per "meal") and a lot of their products are based off eating 1-2 meals per day. So, you may be buying what is listed as a months supply, which we all know should have at least 60,000 calories in it (2k calories/day for an avg. of 30 days), but it only contains six or eight or ten thousand calories.

As far as rice storage goes, I use Mylar Bags I get off EBAY (the seller is Oak Tea International, he's always cheap and ships fast) that include oxygen absorbers and Homer buckets from the Home Depot. Get 5 gallon mylar bags (20''x30'' size) and 2,000cc oxygen absorbers (one per mylar bag). Place the mylar into your 5 gallon bucket, pour in 35 lbs of white rice, add the oxygen absorber, squeeze out as much air as possible, seal the mylar with an iron while bearing down a steel-sided 4 foot level, squish the bag down, and carefully hammer on the lid. White rice, properly stored in this way, maintains over 98% of its nutritional content over a 30 year period...so as far investments go, that's a pretty damned sound one.

If you want to watch a pretty good tutorial video on this, check out Delta69Alpha's channel on Youtube. I modeled my storage technique after theirs and it works very well. The videos start here;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vW7_cTn6YpE

SFCSMITH(RET)
02-22-2012, 14:12
The Wise food buckets have very low calorie servings (as in 250-350 per "meal") and a lot of their products are based off eating 1-2 meals per day. So, you may be buying what is listed as a months supply, which we all know should have at least 60,000 calories in it (2k calories/day for an avg. of 30 days), but it only contains six or eight or ten thousand calories.

As far as rice storage goes, I use Mylar Bags I get off EBAY (the seller is Oak Tea International, he's always cheap and ships fast) that include oxygen absorbers and Homer buckets from the Home Depot. Get 5 gallon mylar bags (20''x30'' size) and 2,000cc oxygen absorbers (one per mylar bag). Place the mylar into your 5 gallon bucket, pour in 35 lbs of white rice, add the oxygen absorber, squeeze out as much air as possible, seal the mylar with an iron while bearing down a steel-sided 4 foot level, squish the bag down, and carefully hammer on the lid. White rice, properly stored in this way, maintains over 98% of its nutritional content over a 30 year period...so as far investments go, that's a pretty damned sound one.

If you want to watch a pretty good tutorial video on this, check out Delta69Alpha's channel on Youtube. I modeled my storage technique after theirs and it works very well. The videos start here;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vW7_cTn6YpE

Thank you for not making me type that out.. ^^^^

+ however many it takes to let the OP know this is the correct answer.

<<<<< may know "buckets":

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w88/maypo59/P7050007.jpg

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w88/maypo59/P7050008.jpg

lonewolf01
02-22-2012, 16:29
Thank you for not making me type that out.. ^^^^

+ however many it takes to let the OP know this is the correct answer.

<<<<< may know "buckets":

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w88/maypo59/P7050007.jpg

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w88/maypo59/P7050008.jpg

Where did you get that wheat from and how much is it? I'm looking for a good source because I'm too lazy to do it myself.

Jfduece
02-22-2012, 16:51
Where did you get that wheat from and how much is it? I'm looking for a good source because I'm too lazy to do it myself.

Looks like the mormon wheat:
http://store.lds.org/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product3_715839595_10557_21003_-1__3074457345616897722

They also have beans, rice, and oats.
I just bought some rice. Its canned and good to go. Not sure how the pricing works out compared to the DIY methods but I know I'm probably paying a little extra for the convenience.

M1A Shooter
02-22-2012, 19:42
i store my rife in mylar bags with absorbers as well in buckets. ive got 300lbs in buckets now and am currently working to fill a 55G drum with 400-ish lbs more. the buckets are easily moved if needed but the drum is more at home long term storage that could be dolly'd onto my trailer if needed.

i get my mylar from a somewhat local guy over in nashville area but his website is http://www.discountmylarbags.com/

SFCSMITH(RET)
02-22-2012, 20:54

Looks like the mormon wheat:
http://store.lds.org/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product3_715839595_10557_21003_-1__3074457345616897722

They also have beans, rice, and oats.
I just bought some rice. Its canned and good to go. Not sure how the pricing works out compared to the DIY methods but I know I'm probably paying a little extra for the convenience.

Yes, that is correct. I did not buy it, my father did. I have just over a ton total. Buying Bronze Chief or Prairie Gold and bucketing it yourself costs about half as much. I don't have any of their rice, beans or oats, did those myself also.

For instance, last time I bought rice, it was $16 for 50# at Sam's, buckets I get used for a dollar, mylar and absorbers from Frugal's. to put up 150# of rice takes 5 buckets, and 5 mylars and 5 absorbers. about $65. 20 minutes.

If I was going to buy pre packed, I would seriously look at the "super pails" from places like Emergency Essentials.

Jfduece
02-22-2012, 21:26
thanks for the info SCFSMITH. If i ever it get more space i will probably go the DIY route with the buckets. good to see the cost saving is really there.

As for the super pails, they are running about 50 bucks a piece for rice. the same amount in the LDS cans is about 40 bucks. Just info for folks to consider.

lonewolf01
02-23-2012, 14:03
I have about 9 buckets with rice and beans that I packed myself in mylar. I need some wheat and I don't mind paying a little extra for the convenience of having it packed already. I have a Mormon friend who will take me to an LDS canning place...is that a good place to get it?

Jfduece
02-23-2012, 15:02
I have about 9 buckets with rice and beans that I packed myself in mylar. I need some wheat and I don't mind paying a little extra for the convenience of having it packed already. I have a Mormon friend who will take me to an LDS canning place...is that a good place to get it?

I don't know if the local LDS canneries stock this stuff or not. as far as I know thier focus is on helping people actually can thier own food goods. Just order direct here: http://store.lds.org/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Category3_715839595_10557_21158_-1_N_image_0

Shipping and tax free. I ordered on a thursday and it was on my doorstep the next monday.

FYI - I'm not mormon so I don't know too much first hand about what all is avialable. Just what I have learned myself from various resources.

M1A Shooter
02-24-2012, 02:06
thanks for the link. will be ordering some myself.

as far as the DIY mylar, i use a hair straightening iron i took from my wife. works very well and doesnt leave anything on the iron so the wife is still happy.

Aceman
02-24-2012, 06:35
I wasn't thinking about just going with the Wise - which is why I asked about the rice.

Just Wise sounds ~ok. But Wise + Rice could go far, and be tasty! I don't expect to be getting 2k calories per day if I'm using this stuff. The body will adapt.

Wise + Rice + Vitamin + Bonus stuff (MRE, Deer, Fish, Rats, candy...) + standard fair (canned goods etc...)

And thanks for the EXCELLENT Rice Bucket instructions!!!!

lonewolf01
02-24-2012, 10:29
I don't know if the local LDS canneries stock this stuff or not. as far as I know thier focus is on helping people actually can thier own food goods. Just order direct here: http://store.lds.org/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Category3_715839595_10557_21158_-1_N_image_0

Shipping and tax free. I ordered on a thursday and it was on my doorstep the next monday.

FYI - I'm not mormon so I don't know too much first hand about what all is avialable. Just what I have learned myself from various resources.

I see a case is 6 #10 cans. How long would that feed 4 people?

Also, how long will it last in the can... ~30 years?

Jfduece
02-24-2012, 12:24
I see a case is 6 #10 cans. How long would that feed 4 people?

Also, how long will it last in the can... ~30 years?

Canned grains, properly stored should last a very, very long time. Yes, at least 30 years. As with other canned foods the shelf life is technically indefinite. Most foods will break down and lose some nutritional value and taste once you get beyond 5-15 years (depending on what the food is). However, white rice and most other grains don't have the fats and acids that break down so they should maintain taste and nutrition almost indefinitely.

i have never worked out how long this would feed 4 people. to me this is just a supplement for other foods I have. If you were eating just the rice for 2 meals a day, I would guess that you might be able to stretch it to two weeks but thats just my WAG.

FYI - i am not an expert on this stuff. This is just what i have picked up from my personal research. You might want to post these questions in the GATE forum and see what reply you get.

quake
02-24-2012, 13:42
...as far as the DIY mylar, i use a hair straightening iron i took from my wife. works very well and doesnt leave anything on the iron so the wife is still happy.
I just use a cheap clothing iron from walmart or maybe target, bought specifically for the use. No steam (obviously :supergrin: ). It stays with the supply of mylar bags, a small tote-tub that I cut one corner off the lid of (for easier pouring into bucketts), and the 2-3 foot melamined board that gets used as the ironing surface (laid across the top of the bucket). Paid probably $9-$10 for it and been using it a number of years now, and my wife seriously appreciates me not stealing the iron from the laundry room.

Jdog
03-20-2012, 01:06
I just opened a #10 can of rice today that I canned myself 22years ago in 1990. The stuff tastes fresh and i can't taste the difference between it and the new rice I just bought at the store today (I cooked a batch of each for a taste test).
So I'm a firm believer in #10 metal cans for long shelf life. I'll have to try the mylar pouches... I just don't want to wait another 22years to try it out... lol

tobias boon
03-20-2012, 18:27
+1 on the hair straightener. It clamps like the jaws of death!

dudel
03-20-2012, 19:10
If you go to the Wise website, there is a place where you can ask for a sample. I was sent a free pouch of the Chili Mac. A buddy and I tried it one Sunday afternoon. We both decided it was easily edible and filling. Both our wives at first refused to try it; but they relented and pronounced it ok (and that's high praise from them).

I'll be getting a few buckets of the stuff once I figure out the right mix. The problem I have is that they are family sized pouches. In my case, it's me and my wife. Each pouch will easily feed 4 people (more if I cut it with rice/beans). That means if we open a pouch, we eat it for two meals. Could be worse I suppose.

My buddy was thinking he would keep this around for those nights his wife was out. I like the 25 year shelf life.

For storage buckets, I got them free from the local supermarket bakery. Ask for the empty icing buckets. They are food grade (obviously), and have an O ring seal in the lid which latches down. Cleaning out the icing can be messy (and attract ants); but for free, what's not to like. They come in small (1 gal) and large size (3 gal). They have handles as well.

bdcochran
03-20-2012, 19:21
:upeyes:

I am lazier than Lonewolf01, clumsy, and prone to make mistakes.

I simply bought the rice, wheat and other items from the Mormon Church store in long term storage cans. I have done some food items myself. However, I wanted the last ditch stuff to be perfect. I also don't have a family or a reason to "rotate".

humanguerrilla
03-22-2012, 19:21
Reading where folks are complaining that there wasn't anything indicating that the meats were TVP in the Wise kits they ordered. Noticed Cheaperthandirt has labeled most of their Wise food TVP.

I picked up a bucket to try and have yet to try any. Is it all tvp?

G29Reload
03-22-2012, 19:45
Read about the Wise food buckets. Any new comments?

Was thinking about maybe putting a few of those up, and then cutting them with rice for extended mileage and sodium reduction.

Also, While I keep rice in a large quantity for the pantry, I don't have any in buckets. What is a cheap easy way to do that?
-What bucket?
-what rice?
-dessicant?

I've found nice, sealed bags of Jasmine rice in easy to handle 10lb bags at Asian food stores. No buckets required. Sealed plastic, airtight.