FN Herstal (FNX-45, FNP-45) I am considering getting one - any comments? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : FN Herstal (FNX-45, FNP-45) I am considering getting one - any comments?

Z71bill
02-22-2012, 10:31
I have been wanting a FULL size LARGE capacity semi - auto 45 ACP to use as a HD gun. This gun will not be carried - open or concealed.

I actually started out to buy a G21 - G21SF - GEN4 G21

Got cold feet because of all the issues - figured I would wait until they were all solved - but am tired of waiting.

I searched hi and low - could not find any gun that fit my requirements - until I stumbled across this one at BUDS

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/manufacturers_id/409/products_id/58106/FN+Herstal+Matte+Black+45+ACP+wManual+Safety%282%29+14+%26+%281%29+1/ :hearts:

I have been trying to find one to look at - so far no luck.

--------------------

Anyone have one of these?

How do you like it?

Is the FNP discontinued? It is not in the 2012 catalog.

It looks like the FNP-45 runs about $100 less than the FNX-45 - what is the difference between the two?

fowler
02-22-2012, 18:33
Shot my friends FNP 45acp. It came with 3 mags. Shot 100rds of ball and it was accurate,100% reliable. Think he paid $650 for it. It has a hammer drop and DA/SA pull. He wants it for a car pistol going to his inner city rental homes. I prefer a Sig 226 9mm or a G19 for a house &carry gun.

bac1023
02-22-2012, 18:59
The FN pistols are outstanding.

elde
02-22-2012, 19:07
I have the USG FNP45 in .45acp FDE. It's my choice to sit on the table next to my bed each night. The gun is accurate (2.5" @ 25 yards) for me and throughout 1200 rounds of various FNJs and JHPs has never once faltered. 15 + 1 capacity, decent sights and a grip that is somewhat adjustable -- nothing there not to like.

BTW - it replaced a G21SF once I was assured of its reliablilty.

Z71bill
02-22-2012, 19:13
Shot my friends FNP 45acp. It came with 3 mags. Shot 100rds of ball and it was accurate,100% reliable. Think he paid $650 for it. It has a hammer drop and DA/SA pull. He wants it for a car pistol going to his inner city rental homes. I prefer a Sig 226 9mm or a G19 for a house &carry gun.

I found a FNP-45 NIB $649 + tax = $700 at a small dealer 5 miles from my home. :shocked:

Hope I can meet up with the guy soon. Think he sells guns part time / on the side.

I figure a "house gun" should have a large capacity mag - 15 +1 rounds 45 ACP sounds about right.

The few GEN4 G21 with night sights I have found were $680- $700 (including tax) - that seems like a lot of $ :dunno:

Strange the FNP-45 with night sights will be $790 and it seems like a bargain. :upeyes:

travis34769
02-22-2012, 19:35
I have been wanting a FULL size LARGE capacity semi - auto 45 ACP to use as a HD gun. This gun will not be carried - open or concealed.

Got cold feet because of all the issues - figured I would wait until they were all solved - but am tired of waiting.

I searched hi and low - could not find any gun that fit my requirements - until I stumbled across this one at BUDS

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/manufacturers_id/409/products_id/58106/FN+Herstal+Matte+Black+45+ACP+wManual+Safety%282%29+14+%26+%281%29+1/ :hearts:

--------------------

How do you like it?

It looks like the FNP-45 runs about $100 less than the FNX-45 - what is the difference between the two?

Check out the review:
http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1403131

DaverZ
02-23-2012, 03:56
I have a FNP45 USG model,has always been 100% as in zero failures of any kind.

lunarspeak
02-23-2012, 06:10
i own the fnp-9 whitch rocks...ive never shot the 45 but ive held one twice and have to say its alot of gun..very aggressive grips.

if you dont hit them with the bullets you can knock them out cold withe the gun itself.

faawrenchbndr
02-23-2012, 06:47
The FNP-45 is awesome. For a full size railed polymer pistol
I really do not think it gets any better. I would suggest one
shoot a FNP-45 to try it, before buying.

I would actually suggest a FNP-45 over a G21

Gdirty5
02-23-2012, 07:52
I hear they are stopping production on the Fnp 45, and consolidating to the Fnx which is very similar but a little better grip. I have an Fnp 45 tactical which I bought bc you can mount a mini red dot and suppressor easily to it. They also sell a competition that has a fiber optic front sight and pre milled for a red Dot.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a72/disgookonfiya/82484bb4.jpg

ca survivor
02-23-2012, 07:54
Try to hold one before you buy the grip, to me, is like a 2X4

Z71bill
02-23-2012, 08:49

Good idea - I think I held one at a gun show a few times - but don't really recall the details.

I also want to try the smaller back strap -

whoops dude
02-23-2012, 10:28
$649? Wow. I usually saw them for around $100 less a year or so ago.

Viper 1
02-23-2012, 12:16

--------------------

How do you like it?

The FN is a good product.

Have you shot a gen 4 21? It's very soft shooting and plenty accurate.

Z71bill
02-23-2012, 13:02
$649? Wow. I usually saw them for around $100 less a year or so ago.

Seems like most guns cost more now VS 1-2 years ago -

I don't see prices going down - but you never know.

Z71bill
02-23-2012, 13:05
The FN is a good product.

Have you shot a gen 4 21? It's very soft shooting and plenty accurate.

I have not shot the GEN4 - maybe I should wait another few months and get a "Glock refurbished" GEN4 G21:whistling:.

Decguns
02-23-2012, 17:57
The grip on the FNX is much more comfortable than the FNP. Side by side, the FNX has the exact grip angle and contour of the Browning Hi-Power.

I have an FNX-9. It's reliable. It's accurate. It's a smidge taller and longer than a Glock 19. I would recommend the FNX pistol, but there are things one should know before buying. The grip inserts are held in place by a tiny little plastic clip. Of the 4 inserts supplied with my pistol, only one locks up tight. The others have 1/2mm of vertical play. There's a noticeable hitch at the beginning of the single action trigger pull. Spare magazines are $40-$50 each. There's only a handful of holsters available for it. It's a new pistol, and accessaries will be forth coming in the future.

drumr04
02-23-2012, 19:23
I had a FNP-45 a few years ago. It was a very nice gun but i was stupid and sold it after a few months... If i remember right i only paid $550. I still wish i hadn't sold it...

SGT_Calle
02-23-2012, 19:37
I had the tactical and kick myself for trading it.
Phenomenal shooter and really perfect for a house gun, in my opinion.

01coltcolt
02-23-2012, 20:00
In the world we live in when communication is easy, there is a reason you don't read any thing negitive about FNH. That would be because they are the lead firearms manufacture in the world. You have nothing to worry about when buying any of there platforms.

racer88
02-24-2012, 06:10
Love all my FNHs. And, the FNP-45 Tactical is a fantastic pistol. Very reliable. Accurate. And, 15+1 rounds of .45-ACP goodness!

http://i1042.photobucket.com/albums/b425/racer88_bucket/Gun%20Stuff/FNP-45T-RMR_0002.jpg

plouffedaddy
02-24-2012, 08:22
If you want a bunch of pics to drool over, here you go! :supergrin:

http://gunreviewguy.blogspot.com/2012/02/fnh-fnp-45-tactical-2000-round-review.html

kamonjj
02-26-2012, 16:32
This is the next gun I'm going to buy, I'm actually going to unload a gun or 2 to outfit a FNP 45 tactical.

The FNP has been discontinued. The FNX version should be out in the summer time. From what I've read, the FNX version is no different than the FNP. If you look at the FNP guns vs FNX (other calibers) the FNP 45 tactical was designed last and has the same grip as the newer FNX models. So, with that being said, it might be hard to get a FNP 45 tactical in FDE (which is what I want), so you can wait for the FNX which will be the same gun.

Z71bill
03-03-2012, 22:38
I found two FNP model guns on line - does anyone understand what the difference is / what the specifics are on these two FNH models?

$641 for either one (with night sights) seems like a deal.

The FN web site is no help - my searches = fail.

FN 66047 FNP45 45 NS

FN 66048 FNP45 45 WT FT NS

Buds has both - NS is night sights - but WTH is "WT FT" ?

Agent6-3/8
03-03-2012, 23:20

This. I've looked at them seveal times and they are freaking huge and fat. Best feeling polymer .45 I've felt is the M&P. XD's aren't bad, but I'm still a Glock fan when it comes to plastic fantastics.

glfpunk
03-04-2012, 06:49
The idea of a full sized double stack .45 for home defense is my favorite. If I was in the market for one right now I'd look at the FN for sure, it's a great gun and I'd have to look hard at the tactical version.

As it is I already have that role filled with an XD, the original version not XDm. Of all the guns I've owned and currently own, that XD .45 is my favorite with HK USP .45 a close second but that FN would give it a run for its money. It's just the grip on the XD fits my hand so well, I'll probably never give that gun up.

Z71bill
03-04-2012, 09:10
This. I've looked at them seveal times and they are freaking huge and fat. Best feeling polymer .45 I've felt is the M&P. XD's aren't bad, but I'm still a Glock fan when it comes to plastic fantastics.

Gun show yesterday

I held / compared the FN tactical model - and the GEN4 G21side by side.

The FN grip seemed smaller to me and had more of a contour. So not as blocky.

I could wrap my fingers around the top of the grip (FN) and my index finger and thumb touched without much effort - had to really try to get my fingers around the G21.

I ASSUME but don't know - that the grip size of the tactical and regular FN are the same size.

Z71bill
03-04-2012, 09:31
I can't decide -

All black or stainless and black slide?

:dunno:

racer88
03-04-2012, 14:43
I can't decide -

All black or stainless and black slide?

:dunno:

Everybody knows that FDE is better, faster, more accurate, and deadlier! ;)

http://i1042.photobucket.com/albums/b425/racer88_bucket/Gun%20Stuff/FNP-45T-RMR_0002.jpg

jamesbern
03-04-2012, 14:53
I have the tactical in FDE and love it! It is a very nice, soft shooting full size .45. Never had any issues with mine in 800 or so rounds.

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j98/jamesbernatchez/e135209a.jpg

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j98/jamesbernatchez/Photography/7e2932b9.jpg

Agent6-3/8
03-04-2012, 14:58
Gun show yesterday

I held / compared the FN tactical model - and the GEN4 G21side by side.

The FN grip seemed smaller to me and had more of a contour. So not as blocky.

I could wrap my fingers around the top of the grip (FN) and my index finger and thumb touched without much effort - had to really try to get my fingers around the G21.

I ASSUME but don't know - that the grip size of the tactical and regular FN are the same size.

I've noticed the same. The grip itself feels good, but seems to get fatter feeling in the safety/decocker area. Makes my thumbs forward grip uncomfortable. I get a similar feeling with the HK UPS 45.

Z71bill
03-05-2012, 09:14
:steamed:

I tried calling FNH to figure out what the difference is between the two models / products listed on BUDS as --

FN 66047 FNP45 45 NS

BUDS lists them as 15+1 - a few other web sites list these same codes as 14+1

I just want to know which mag comes with the gun - no one knows - no one cares -

What does WT & FT mean?

These are FNH product codes - I called FNH 2x - talked with 2 different people in 2 different departments - one guy in CUSTOMER SERVICE said - I don't have any product information. WTF sort of customer service department doesn't have any product information? :shocked:

I actually got zero information - they have no idea what the difference is - they don't care to even try and answer a few simple questions.

Then I called BUDS - the person I talked to had no information - she transferred me to another person with no information - then transferred me to a line that said - we are busy call back later - and hung up on me. :steamed:

My - DON'T BUY meter is at red line - if they don't give a crap about a customer that is just trying to get a few simple questions answered BEFORE they buy a $650 product - what sort of service will I get if I do have a problem down the road?

I waited all weekend - was feeling like a kid on Christmas morning - wanted to place my order - now I think I will start looking at S&W M&P and GLOCK again.

jamesbern
03-05-2012, 09:26
The mags (like shown in my photo above) allow for 15 + 1. I believe the standard .45 may come with one of those as well as two with a flat base which is why you may be seeing 14 + 1. From FN's site I see that they ship with 3 mags. Not exactly sure which are included.

Z71bill
03-05-2012, 09:32
The mags (like shown in my photo above) allow for 15 + 1. I believe the standard .45 may come with one of those as well as two with a flat base which is why you may be seeing 14 + 1. From FN's site I see that they ship with 3 mags. Not exactly sure which are included.

"Not exactly sure which are included"

You know as much as about is as the customer service folks at FNH.

I know they have a lot of different models - too many to just know - but how can they not have the ability to LOOK UP the information?

I bet they have the ability to look it up - they just don't want to go through the trouble of doing it.

Not just FNH - but every darn company seems to care less and less about customer service.

20SFLV
03-05-2012, 14:47
:steamed:

I tried calling FNH to figure out what the difference is between the two models / products listed on BUDS as --

FN 66047 FNP45 45 NS

BUDS lists them as 15+1 - a few other web sites list these same codes as 14+1

I just want to know which mag comes with the gun - no one knows - no one cares -

What does WT & FT mean?

These are FNH product codes - I called FNH 2x - talked with 2 different people in 2 different departments - one guy in CUSTOMER SERVICE said - I don't have any product information. WTF sort of customer service department doesn't have any product information? :shocked:

I actually got zero information - they have no idea what the difference is - they don't care to even try and answer a few simple questions.

Then I called BUDS - the person I talked to had no information - she transferred me to another person with no information - then transferred me to a line that said - we are busy call back later - and hung up on me. :steamed:

My - DON'T BUY meter is at red line - if they don't give a crap about a customer that is just trying to get a few simple questions answered BEFORE they buy a $650 product - what sort of service will I get if I do have a problem down the road?

I waited all weekend - was feeling like a kid on Christmas morning - wanted to place my order - now I think I will start looking at S&W M&P and GLOCK again.

Three magazines come with the FNP-45. For the non-Tactical models, you get one 15 round magazine and two 14 round magazines. Tactical models get three 15 round magazines.

I have a FN Five Seven with zero problems. Can't say anything about customer service since I have never needed it. I do know that the main guy who was involved with customer service was told to retire due to budget issues. It is a shame about the customer service since the FN products are quite good.