My First Bolt Gun [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : My First Bolt Gun

Bluestreakfl
02-22-2012, 11:49
I just ordered what will be my first bolt action rifle, a Savage 93R17 FVSS, .17HMR 21" stainless heavy barrel with the Accutrigger. I wanted to start out with something smaller and economical, and from what I've read these are really good guns. I'll be mainly using it as a range gun for shooting 100-200 yards. Is there anything in particular that I need to know before firing this gun? I'll be getting a bipod for it, and as there are no iron sights, I'll also need to find a scope. Any reccomendations for optics would be greatly appreciated. I'm trying to stay on a budget, and would like to stay under $100 for a scope. It doesn't have to be high tech or fancy, just simple and accurate. I am also planning on getting some sort of thumbhole stock for it. I was looking at a Boyd's stock, anyone have any experience with them? Some have said that "minor" fitting adjustments may need to be made. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I want this gun to be one heck of a tac driver.

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors.

D3S3RT_P3NGU1N
02-22-2012, 12:38
You'd be far better off not getting a replacement stock just yet and investing the money you save there into a better optic. From what you've said you seem to be buying this rifle as a way to learn about precision shooting at an affordable price before you invest in a more expensive rig later on. This is a solid plan, but you would be far better off investing the stock money into your optics, as you'll then be able to afford something with turrets that match the reticle. This will make your learning experience far easier and will allow the skills you develop to transfer very nicely if and when you decide to invest in a more expensive rifle and scope later on.

Bill Keith
02-22-2012, 15:37
The 17 HMR isn't a 200 yard gun. It is a good 75 to 120 yard gun for small critters (ie: Rabbits and squirrels). I'd suggest a Leupold Rifleman scope in 3-9X power. Congratulations on a fine purchase:wavey:

Bluestreakfl
02-23-2012, 06:18
I really appreciate the tips guys. As far as the stock goes, I planned on eventually getting a thumbhole stock, but that won't be until later down the road. The reason i was leaning towards the thumbhole is for one they looke aesthetically better IMO, and also feel much more comfortable and ergonomic. Gonna stick with just a bipod, and a decent piece of glass for now though.

I do plan on getting something a bit larger down the road, probably in .308 or .30-06, but that will be at least a year or so from now. I want to really work on honing my skills before I spend the big dough on something bigger.

Rumbler_G20
02-23-2012, 06:27
Spend the money on the glass.

When you move up, the glass can make the move with you.

. . . don't know much about the .17

But I do use a Savage MKII (with a bunch of initials) as a trainer for my Remmy 700P in .308.

I found a load that duplicates the ballistics out to 300 yards on 1/2 scale; 300yd w/.22 = 600yd w/.308.

I just can't put into words how much that has helped my longer range precision rifle shooting. But it is huge.

My point being: you are on the right track, but I think that you are underestimating the need for good glass.

Bluestreakfl
02-23-2012, 07:40
The problem for me is when it comes to scopes and whatnot I have absolutely no clue when it comes to the technical terms. I understand a few of the basics as far as zeroing in a scope, but my knowledge is limited beyond that. Luckily I've got a buddy who's big into precision rifle shooting and hunting, he's got several rifles, his 2 main ones being a 7mm wsm and a .308 and he's going to teach me the basics, and then the rest. he uses Nikon glass on his rifles, and I'm a fan of them, all my SLR lenses are Nikon, their quality speaks for itself. Any other suggestions for a decent piece of glass that won't break the budget? I know one other suggested leupold which ive heard nothing but good things about. Unfortunately at the time my budget for a scope is around $100, and then I'll be upgrading to something better down the road. As I said this rifle has no iron sights so my goal is to get a decent scope to start and then get something better once I can afford it.

Rumbler_G20
02-23-2012, 07:52
Natchez Shooters Supply and Optics Planet have about the best on-line prices I have found.

Keeping you price point in mind, I'm inclined to recommend something by Tasco.

Personal preference plays a HUGE part in what constitutes a "good scope".

With that said, I think that this model:

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=TAVAR251042M

meets the what a scope needs to have criteria looking toward gaining skills.

It is not "over powered" at 10x max
It is a true mil-dot reticule - you can learn distance, elevation, and windage estimation correctly.
It's dirt cheap!

Bluestreakfl
02-23-2012, 08:50
Looks like a good option that would leave some money left for extra ammo, I'll definitely have to look into that one.

Washingtonrebel
02-23-2012, 09:02
The 17 HMR isn't a 200 yard gun. It is a good 75 to 120 yard gun for small critters (ie: Rabbits and squirrels). I'd suggest a Leupold Rifleman scope in 3-9X power. Congratulations on a fine purchase:wavey:

The .17 HMR is an awesome and fun round to shoot. I consistently blow up water filled pop cans at 200 yards with mine, a Ruger 77-17, I would say 250 is max since a 17gr bullet isn't going to have any energy left by then. I also use a 4.5-14 Burris scope too.

Buy lots of ammo and have fun.

Bluestreakfl
02-23-2012, 10:37
I figured on an almost windless day 200 yards would be the max, anything farther is a waste of ammo id think.

bac1023
02-23-2012, 11:20
Its a cool round for sure. 200 yards seems like a push though.

bac1023
02-23-2012, 11:21
I figured on an almost windless day 200 yards would be the max, anything farther is a waste of ammo id think.

I think conditions would need to be about perfect for the 17 to be an accurate threat at 200 yards. Its such a light bullet.

Bluestreakfl
02-23-2012, 13:38
I think conditions would need to be about perfect for the 17 to be an accurate threat at 200 yards. Its such a light bullet.

I'd agree. From what I've read, the .17hmr although having the flattest trajectory of any rimfire, is also the most susceptible to wind. If zeroed in at 100 yards, and with perfect conditions, a 200yd shot will have anywhere between a 2.5-5" drop.

Bluestreakfl
02-23-2012, 19:40
Well, she came in today. Put a down payment, and will be paying it off next Friday. Here's some pics to do her justice. http://img.tapatalk.com/467e119c-f889-80db.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/467e119c-f899-968a.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/467e119c-f8ac-6f2d.jpg

Washingtonrebel
02-23-2012, 20:22
I'd agree. From what I've read, the .17hmr although having the flattest trajectory of any rimfire, is also the most susceptible to wind. If zeroed in at 100 yards, and with perfect conditions, a 200yd shot will have anywhere between a 2.5-5" drop.

I've shot a lot of cans at 200 yds with my .17 hmr, the bullet drop is minor and predictable, as far as wind goes, it does have the smallest profile which means it wouldn't be affected as much as .22 mag.

New rifle looks great, Congratulations.

muscles
02-23-2012, 20:43
sdfdsa

Surewhynot
02-23-2012, 21:01
That is a sexy rifle. I understand being on a budget, but I hate skimping on optics. On my winchester model 70 in 300wsm, I have more invested in the scope than in the rifle lol. I know that is comparing apples to oranges when it comes to usage, range etc. Personally, I would decide on a price range that you are comfortable spending, then research as much as possible to find the best quality in that range. After that, go to stores where you can actually look at what you are thinking about buying. ONly then make your choice.

Bluestreakfl
02-26-2012, 07:14
Well, after today I'll be off for the next three days so I plan on shopping around and seeing what I can get my hands on. I like the idea of learning on a mil dot system. I'll probably check out a few places and see if I can find something I can't live without.