Man acquitted in shooting is 'happy to be free', but now is homeless [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Man acquitted in shooting is 'happy to be free', but now is homeless

TBO
02-22-2012, 19:10
http://www.desmoinesregister.com/article/20120222/NEWS01/302220033/-1/FAMOUSIOWANS/Update-Man-acquitted-shooting-happy-free-now-homeless

bulletandgrunt
02-22-2012, 19:21
“We just don’t allow people to go shoot people,” he said. “Using deadly force is a last resort. It shouldn’t be the first resort.”

After reading that I wondered what the comprehension level of the person was.

unit1069
02-22-2012, 19:25
I certainly hope Mr. Lewis doesn't let his persecutors get away with their atrocious conduct, or that he allows them to pay him off with a pittance compared to the personal injury he's suffered at their hands.

bustedknee
02-22-2012, 19:38
I don't believe it was because he was black.

It happened because the prosecutor is a pansy.

It happens all the time.
If a guy breaks they law, charge him and prosecute him!
But if he acts in self-defense let him go!
Too many weak-kneed prosecutors either wish to
1. make a name for themselves to advance their careers or
2. they are too feeble-minded to make a decision then defend it; they say "we will let a jury decide."

BS! Grow a pair and stand up for whats right. '

Now, this guy has lost everything and has very little recourse.

jellis11
02-22-2012, 19:59
"He was charged with two counts of intimidation with a dangerous weapon and one of going armed with intent."

kinda bogus to me, from what I read anyway.

The rest of what happened just makes me mad for the guy.

whoops dude
02-22-2012, 20:12
If I notice two guys who have already been aggressive towards me are approaching me from two different directions, I know they are not looking for a surprise tickle fight.

That whole situation is BS. I'm glad he at least got his job back.

ZombieKing
02-22-2012, 22:02
Wow that just sucks. I wonder if he has a case against the landlord since they knew he was in jail but still tried to serve him at the apartment.

And this really pissed me off:

"What Lewis’ case shows is that current law works, Sarcone said: “I don’t know why people are afraid of jury trials. I’m not.”

Sarcone needs to be put on trial with a 100 million dollar bond (so he can't afford to bond his way out) and then let him rot in jail for 112 days until a jury finds him not guilty. See how he likes it.

TDC20
02-22-2012, 22:07
OC carry could have prevented this. :whistling:

"What Lewis’ case shows is that current law works, Sarcone said: “I don’t know why people are afraid of jury trials. I’m not.”

What a jackass lawyer saying a jackass lawyer thing. Of course your not afraid of jury trials, you jackass lawyer! You didn't just lose everything only to prove some idiot jackass lawyer's point!

r3dot
02-22-2012, 22:22
Bummer. Seems like a genuine guy who handled the situation incredibly well. The lawyer that wrote the eviction notice is a POS.

I wish the best for the guy.

kgjl
02-23-2012, 00:14
If someone can get a legitimate address, I would send him a small donation to help him get back on his feet.

NDCent
02-23-2012, 00:32
Move along, nothing new here... you're guilty until proven innocent.

HandyMan Hugh
02-23-2012, 00:37
I'd like to see Mr. Lewis successfully sue the tail off of the Apartment complex that so callously threw his stuff onto the curb. THEY failed to do their duty to contact Mr. Lewis and make arrangements with him to protect his possessions. :steamed::steamed:

DaverZ
02-23-2012, 03:17
I'd like to see Mr. Lewis successfully sue the tail off of the Apartment complex that so callously threw his stuff onto the curb. THEY failed to do their duty to contact Mr. Lewis and make arrangements with him to protect his possessions. :steamed::steamed:

The apartment complex,the ***** heel lawyer that that handled the eviction,the prosecution and finally the POS he had to shoot.Everything he owned lost because he defended himself.Talk about double jeperdy,he was a victim twice in my eyes.

tim12232
02-23-2012, 22:11
I hope he finds a good lawyer to go after the apartment complex!!! I would think that should be an open and shut lawsuit.....But im not a lawyer, nor do i play one on tv.
Im glad he got his job back, but damn 1/3 of a year in prison for defending yourself has to be harder than any of it!!!

mikekj
02-24-2012, 10:36
He'll be the new owner of an apartment complex pretty soon.

hardbargin
02-24-2012, 12:24
i lost interest real quick when he played the race card.
i could care less what happened to him after that comment he made.:supergrin:

Royo
02-25-2012, 10:11
I have known Lewis for over thirty years. We went to college together and were police officers together on a smaller department here in Kansas. To give you guys an idea how good of friends we are he is coming to my wedding which is coming up soon . He called me the night this shooting occurred . I also spoke to him on numerous occasions throughout his ordeal.

I know him well enough that if he throws out the race card it is well deserved. His major complaint with the apartment complex is how they went about the eviction. HE never got notice until the actual eviction was taking place. This man literally lost EVERYTHING he owns because of that. His main complaint with the prosecution is that he was wrongly accused .

I also discussed this issue with several people at my job and they were appalled he was even charged .

I am also friends with several prosecuters in the area and ran the facts of the case to them . WHen I told them what the the DA had done there in DesMoines they were shocked too.

At the time of the shooting Iowa does not have a "Castle doctrine ." On any account Lewis had retreated back to his car and when his assailant started pounding on it he moved his car further down the street away from the accident . He called 911.( Which in my opinion showed his innocence) This guy followed him further and threatend him more . Lewis warned him more than once to stay back and the assailant further threatend him and advanced on Lewis .

This case also shows that if you want to carry firearm for protection that you may want to have a lawyer already on board . Lewis wound up being the victor in this case but is paying a heavy price for it. We talked for a long time after the trial was over . What he had to endure was pure BS .

AA#5
02-25-2012, 11:12
The actual shooting that took place was legitimate self defense IMO.

HOWEVER, Lewis ESCALATED the conflict by willingly participating in a ROAD RAGE incident. Instead of being a grown up & driving away in another direction. When a couple of drunks were looking for trouble, he played their stupid game (probably bolstered by having a gun on him) & taking the attitude, "I have a gun, so I don't take crap from anybody." He paid the price for it.

What.......am I the only one here who can read?

"Lewis passed him. Ludwick sped up, and the cars raced down 11th Street."

AA#5
02-25-2012, 11:20
I have known Lewis for over thirty years. We went to college together and were police officers together on a smaller department here in Kansas. To give you guys an idea how good of friends we are he is coming to my wedding which is coming up soon . He called me the night this shooting occurred . I also spoke to him on numerous occasions throughout his ordeal.

I know him well enough that if he throws out the race card it is well deserved. His major complaint with the apartment complex is how they went about the eviction. HE never got notice until the actual eviction was taking place. This man literally lost EVERYTHING he owns because of that. His main complaint with the prosecution is that he was wrongly accused .

I also discussed this issue with several people at my job and they were appalled he was even charged .

I am also friends with several prosecuters in the area and ran the facts of the case to them . WHen I told them what the the DA had done there in DesMoines they were shocked too.

At the time of the shooting Iowa does not have a "Castle doctrine ." On any account Lewis had retreated back to his car and when his assailant started pounding on it he moved his car further down the street away from the accident . He called 911.( Which in my opinion showed his innocence) This guy followed him further and threatend him more . Lewis warned him more than once to stay back and the assailant further threatend him and advanced on Lewis .

This case also shows that if you want to carry firearm for protection that you may want to have a lawyer already on board . Lewis wound up being the victor in this case but is paying a heavy price for it. We talked for a long time after the trial was over . What he had to endure was pure BS .

Since you know Lewis so well, perhaps you could ask him why he allowed a couple of drunks to bait him into participating in a road rage incident instead of just driving away? As a former police officer, shouldn't he have known better than to choose macho over intelligence??

ZombieKing
02-25-2012, 12:02
Dude everyone's human and that means from time to time they will make a dumb mistake. Yeah he made a dumb mistake to race the other car but I can't see how we should throw the baby out with the bath water if you catch my meaning.

And that certainly doesn't excuse the actions of the apartment complex.

Spiffums
02-25-2012, 13:09
If I notice two guys who have already been aggressive towards me are approaching me from two different directions, I know they are not looking for a surprise tickle fight.

That whole situation is BS. I'm glad he at least got his job back.

I'm with you if 2 guys try to flank me in a bar after one pisses on the jukebox and talks about the dry spell his love life is in..... I cap both of them!

I hear Nebraska is nice this time of year.

AA#5
02-25-2012, 13:40
Dude everyone's human and that means from time to time they will make a dumb mistake. Yeah he made a dumb mistake to race the other car but I can't see how we should throw the baby out with the bath water if you catch my meaning.

And that certainly doesn't excuse the actions of the apartment complex.

Dude, a mistake is when you unintentionally hit the wrong key on your keyboard. Road rage is intentional stupidity. When you're armed, it's DOUBLE intentional stupidity. When you're a former cop, it's TRIPLE intentional stupidity.

You're also mistaken to characterize his actions as "racing the other car." Road rage is not racing; it's using your car as a deadly weapon to threaten or intimidate another driver. Besides being illegal, it's childish & stupid - and both can cost, as Lewis found out.

People who participate in road rage are not emotionally mature enough to carry, or own a gun because they demonstrate a willingness to escalate a conflict and also put their machismo above their common sense. Therefore, I'm perfectly fine with Lewis losing his right to carry or own a gun.

LongGoneDays
02-25-2012, 14:16
I read the guy's story last week, sad. I am glad he got his job back though, no reason for them not hiring him back. I hope he doesn't hesitate if he ever faces violence again.

writwing
02-25-2012, 16:00
I don't believe it was because he was black.

It happened because the prosecutor is a pansy.

It happens all the time.
If a guy breaks they law, charge him and prosecute him!
But if he acts in self-defense let him go!
Too many weak-kneed prosecutors either wish to
1. make a name for themselves to advance their careers or
2. they are too feeble-minded to make a decision then defend it; they say "we will let a jury decide."

BS! Grow a pair and stand up for whats right. '

Now, this guy has lost everything and has very little recourse.

Many prosecutors do what is politically expedient for their career. I suggest looking at Paul Craig Roberts "And Justice for All" website.

If you work in a corporate environment its the same thing. Many managers get their jobs because they kiss butt, not because they are good at managing. They often freeze or doing something hilarious when they are faced with a decision. I suggest looking at Dilbert in tomorrows funny pages.

writwing
02-25-2012, 16:01
Since you know Lewis so well, perhaps you could ask him why he allowed a couple of drunks to bait him into participating in a road rage incident instead of just driving away? As a former police officer, shouldn't he have known better than to choose macho over intelligence??

A cop that knows better than to chose macho over intelligence. :rofl: